Capture One Pro 10 color issues

Started Aug 5, 2017 | Questions
Apurva Junior Member • Posts: 29
Capture One Pro 10 color issues

Hi,
About ten days ago I purchased Capture One Pro 10. (I have been a Lightroom CC user last four years).
I seem to get a bit of a problem.
I shoot Nikon D800, RAW 14 bit lossless Compressed, sRGB.
On Capture Pro 10, after processing, I export to hard drive sRGB, 100% quality JPEGS.
Once exported the JPGs have a slight different color balance in that they are a tad bluish when compared to what is seen on Capture post processing.

Any ideas why? or suggestions?

I have attached two screen shots for comparison.

-- hide signature --

Apurva Madia
acmadia@gmail.com

Apurva's gear list:Apurva's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Phcan Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Capture One Pro 10 color issues

Did you check what output colour profile was used in Capture One 10 when exporting and if Photoshop is not converting it to a different colour profile when opening the file?

Phcan's gear list:Phcan's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M200 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +5 more
OP Apurva Junior Member • Posts: 29

I export with sRGB profile. As for profile used by PS please enlighten me how to check. Thanks for your time!

-- hide signature --

Apurva Madia
acmadia@gmail.com

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +1 more
giuseppenatalino Regular Member • Posts: 106

can you show the basic option of your process recipe?

I suppose there is a wrong ICC profile assigned to.

-- hide signature --

Giuseppe Natalino
photo & video storyteller
Indipendent computer consultant
http://www.giuseppenatalino.com

giuseppenatalino's gear list:giuseppenatalino's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,461

Apurva wrote:

I export with sRGB profile. As for profile used by PS please enlighten me how to check. Thanks for your time!

Click on the arrow and this drop down will appear.

To display your profile, just select "Document Profile".

While the difference that you're seeing here does, indeed, look as if the profiles used by Capture One and Photoshop aren't the same, if you're exporting (from C1) stipulating sRGB, then Photoshop should recognise that and display it accordingly.

Does the exported Jpeg (or whatever) display correctly using another viewer?

FastStone, or Picasa perhaps?

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Jestertheclown wrote:

Apurva wrote:

Click on the arrow and this drop down will appear.

To display your profile, just select "Document Profile".

While the difference that you're seeing here does, indeed, look as if the profiles used by Capture One and Photoshop aren't the same, if you're exporting (from C1) stipulating sRGB, then Photoshop should recognise that and display it accordingly.

Does the exported Jpeg (or whatever) display correctly using another viewer?

FastStone, or Picasa perhaps?

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

-- hide signature --

Apurva Madia
acmadia@gmail.com

I checked the profile of Photoshop. Its sRGB IEC61966..

giuseppenatalino wrote:

can you show the basic option of your process recipe?

I suppose there is a wrong ICC profile assigned to.

-- hide signature --

Apurva Madia
acmadia@gmail.com

I am attaching screen shot of process recipe and also form picasa rendering.

-- hide signature --

Apurva Madia
acmadia@gmail.com

JohnWheeler Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Hi Apurva

Lots of variables to consider.  To help narrow this down, read you exported JPEG from Capture 1 Pro 10 back into the same program.  Compare them side by side.  If they look different, then the issue is in the Export details from Capture 1 Pro.

If they look the same, then likely the issue is elsewhere.

This is just a suggested divide and conquer first step so we can start separating out if this color difference is caused by C!, PS, System Color Management etc

-- hide signature --

John Wheeler

sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Proof Profile?

From C1 on-line help:

You can specify Capture One to render previews with the output profile applied directly by selecting the desired profile from the Proof Profile option available from the main menu (View>Proof Profile).

So, check your Proof Profile setting (it's probably best to set it to "Selected recipe", that's the default setting) and make sure that when you edit your photo the correct Process Recipe is highlighted (not just selected) in your Output tab.

-- hide signature --

Marcin

b2martin_a Contributing Member • Posts: 771

I suspect the difference is due to the camera profile used to convert the RAW file.  Camera profiles in Lightroom and Capture One are not the same.  The default profile in Lightroom is Adobe Standard, I don't know what the default profile is in Capture One.

giuseppenatalino Regular Member • Posts: 106

the default in lightroom (in view) is MelissaRGB.

on export you can se the correct profile (adobeRGB, sRGB, ProPhotoRGB)

-- hide signature --

Giuseppe Natalino
photo & video storyteller
Indipendent computer consultant
http://www.giuseppenatalino.com

giuseppenatalino's gear list:giuseppenatalino's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more

I am not talking about the image profile (sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc).  I am talking about the camera profile used by the RAW processing software to generate the RGB image from the RAW NEF file.

Lightroom does not read your in camera settings, but does read white balance.  The default camera profile for Lightroom is Adobe Standard, but Adobe supplies camera matching camera profiles - Camera Standard, Camera Neutral, Camera Landscape, Camera Portrait, Camera Vivid, etc.  If you did not select a camera profile in Lightroom then it used Adobe Standard for converting the NEF file to an RGB image.

I don't know what Capture One Pro 10 uses to convert the NEF file to an RGB image, but I don't think it uses the Nikon Picture Control Profiles.

Nikon Capture NX-D will read all the in camera settings and output an image that matches the JPG image from the camera.

Lightroom will not and I don't think Capture One Pros 10 will either.

b2martin_a wrote:

Lightroom does not read your in camera settings, but does read white balance. The default camera profile for Lightroom is Adobe Standard, but Adobe supplies camera matching camera profiles - Camera Standard, Camera Neutral, Camera Landscape, Camera Portrait, Camera Vivid, etc. If you did not select a camera profile in Lightroom then it used Adobe Standard for converting the NEF file to an RGB image.

These are dng/dcp profiles. Capture One uses icc profiles. PhaseOne don't attempt to imitate the jpeg colours when preparing those profiles -- instead they have their own recipe, just like Adobe have with their Adobe Standard profile. In C1 you have a couple of tone curves (Film, Linear, etc.) to choose from.

-- hide signature --

Marcin

I understand that.  I think the difference between the Lightroom and Capture One conversions is due to the different camera profiles used to convert the NEF RAW file to an RGB file.

The OP's problem is likely related to some colour-management setting in C1 (or, as I suggested earlier in this thread, with an incorrect Proof Profile setting). What you talk about is true but would surface if you compared the image preview in C1 vs Lightroom's Develop module preview, whereas OP compares the C1 preview with the rendered file.

-- hide signature --

Marcin

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

giuseppenatalino wrote:

the default in lightroom (in view) is MelissaRGB.

Sorry no.

Melissa RGB is ProPhoto RGB primaries (thus color gamut) but with a 2.2 TRC (gamma) which is only used for the Histogram and RGB numbers provided outside of soft proofing. It isn't used for previews; Adobe RGB (1998) is in all modules expect Develop.

The internal color space used for all processing is ProPhoto RGB with a 1.0 TRC and has no name.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

Dave Braun Contributing Member • Posts: 633

The way to do this is to right click on the image in C1 and chose "Edit With" In the drop down window you can chose Format; jpeg, Tiff or PSD. 8bit or 16 bit Quality of jpeg. ICC profile sRGB or Adobe RGB or embedded camera profile. Resolution and scale. " Open With " chose Photoshop or in my case Elements. Click the " Edit Variant " button and image will open in photoshop.

Note if you chose " Open With " at the right click it will send the unedited Raw to ACR.

Personally I would Edit With a Tiff or PSD in Adobe RGB 16 Bit and when finished editing convert profile 8 bit and save as jpeg. You may also want to save the layered file first so you can return to for further tweaks.

KingsleyB Regular Member • Posts: 110

Hi,

Not sure what might be causing that.  Two things I would check The first thing to check is your colour settings are both the same in each application e.g. AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB.  Passing from I larger colour space to a smaller one will cause colour changes.

1. The first thing to check is your colour settings are both the same in each application e.g. AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB.  Passing from I larger colour space to a smaller one will cause colour changes.

2. Make sure in PS you dont have any Proof Setup on.  If you are in PS CC 2017, go to View, Proof Setup and see what it is set to.  Just having a check search online - Arnaud Frich has a Color Management Guide which may be of assistance.

www.color-management-guide.com/photoshop-color-settings.html

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kingsley

EdwardWestonNYC Contributing Member • Posts: 612

KingsleyB wrote:

Hi,

Not sure what might be causing that. Two things I would check The first thing to check is your colour settings are both the same in each application e.g. AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB. Passing from I larger colour space to a smaller one will cause colour changes.

1. The first thing to check is your colour settings are both the same in each application e.g. AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB. Passing from I larger colour space to a smaller one will cause colour changes.

2. Make sure in PS you dont have any Proof Setup on. If you are in PS CC 2017, go to View, Proof Setup and see what it is set to. Just having a check search online - Arnaud Frich has a Color Management Guide which may be of assistance.

www.color-management-guide.com/photoshop-color-settings.html

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kingsley

Kingsley offers great advice. Color management is simple, yet so complex how textbooks have been written on just this one subject alone

My suggestion is in Capture One Pro 10 if you click (using the default workspace) have your export profile checked and click on the diagonal 8 (like a pair of glasses) on the menu upper right-hand side of the menu bar to show the photo in your export proofing profile.

Otherwise, Capture One might be showing you the Jpeg in say Adobe1998 with your edits even though the original was Srgb and then when you go to export it in SRGB you're seeing the true SRGB profile colors.

You can also contact Capture One support, they have been very good and quick to respond - and not just with some boiler plate treat you like a second grader response.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads