Using Pocket PC for preview

Started Feb 8, 2003 | Discussions
josef armendariz Regular Member • Posts: 114
Using Pocket PC for preview

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software - http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen for the money.

Josef

LittleJim Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Using Pocket PC for preview

I looked into this and decided not to for a couple of reasons. Firstly all the software I saw was really slow. Secondly, a ppc is not - with a sleeve - a POCKET pc. Once you have to carry it in a bag, I prefer something else. I currently have the Sony Vio palmtop. It runs Xp and is faster, better screened and only about twice the size of a ppc. Being Xp based, I'm also not reliant on some unknown if I either change cameras or Canon come out with an update.

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

paul schwartz Regular Member • Posts: 228
Re: Using Pocket PC for preview

Fujitsu also makes two small laptops the p1110 and p-2120. Try http://www.fujitsu.com

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

gary ng Senior Member • Posts: 1,796
Re: Using Pocket PC for preview

Agree. One alternative is the Fujitsu P1120, cheaper than the Sony. These sub-B5 size notebook IMO is the best companion for DC.

LittleJim wrote:
I looked into this and decided not to for a couple of reasons.
Firstly all the software I saw was really slow. Secondly, a ppc is
not - with a sleeve - a POCKET pc. Once you have to carry it in a
bag, I prefer something else. I currently have the Sony Vio
palmtop. It runs Xp and is faster, better screened and only about
twice the size of a ppc. Being Xp based, I'm also not reliant on
some unknown if I either change cameras or Canon come out with an
update.

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

OP josef armendariz Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Using Pocket PC for preview

I'll have to look into the sub-notebooks. I wonder how Leaf has accomplished though, as their files are obviously larger than what is produced by Canon (with the exception of the 1ds now) and they package it as viable solution since they don't an LCD preview built in.

paul schwartz wrote:
Fujitsu also makes two small laptops the p1110 and p-2120. Try
http://www.fujitsu.com

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

tim martin Senior Member • Posts: 1,685
Re: Dell Axim X5

josef armendariz wrote:

Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I think that most Pocket PCs do NOT have a CF slot, but one of the
hottest Pocket PCs around, the Dell Axim X5 does have a CF slot
and could be used exactly as you describe here.

The only problem is Dell has a 2 week wait to get this product.

See my thread on this topic at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=4247596

David Tangelo Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Pocket PC

The Toshiba Pocket PC's have both a SD and CF slot for your digital images.

The Compaq/HP Pocket PC has an optional sleeve that has a CF slot built in.

I am looking at using either a digital wallet Nixue which can output to an ordinary TV for viewing.

tim martin wrote:

josef armendariz wrote:

Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I think that most Pocket PCs do NOT have a CF slot, but one of the
hottest Pocket PCs around, the Dell Axim X5 does have a CF slot
and could be used exactly as you describe here.

The only problem is Dell has a 2 week wait to get this product.

See my thread on this topic at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=4247596

Rick Floyd Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Using Pocket PC for preview

We tried doing that on our last vacation with my son's S30 and my Compaq iPaq. When I pulled up the files off the CF card for viewing, the whole unit slowed to a crawl (minutes to pull up each file). I was just using Internet Explorer for viewing the JPG files, so perhaps another program would be better. But, we decided it wasn't worth it and went back to his iBook.

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

mark lutz Regular Member • Posts: 449
have u tried this....?

http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

-- hide signature --
Danny Cardenas Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: have u tried this....?

That's what I was going to say too. This company has what looks like some some great software for viewing captured shots, off the CF card. They've also got an interesting workflow to viewing & storing in the field:
http://www.glasslantern.com/articles/PocketPCstorage/index.htm

I was seriously thinking about investing in all this stuff, but it doesn't actually do what I want to acomplish- preview the images from on camera. The Leaf product does, and I'm quite envious. I hope it's only a matter of time before one of the PPC manufacturers sees the niche market opportunity and adds a RCA video in jack to their offerings. (Although that does nothing for 1D owners... I don't know if the 1Ds has RCA out or not)

In the meantime, I'm looking for a palm sized portable TV with hi res screen and RCA video in. So far all the smaller ones I've seen have an inferior monitor and are too bulky.

-dc

mark lutz wrote:
http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

vtrac Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: my toshiba e740 is too slow

my pocket pc, which is one of the fastest and nicest on the market, has a CF slot... i never tried it but it would be WAAAYYY too slow to view a 4-5 meg file. it has a hard time with basic websites...

mark lutz wrote:
http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm

josef armendariz wrote:

Just curious if anyone with a Pocket PC (Compaq, etc...) would mind
answering my question. I've just recently looked at the brochures
for the Leaf DP-67 which uses a Compaq Pocket PC and it's a great
idea. Though it looks like it connects through proprietary
software to the Leaf back, I wonder how feasible it is to use a
Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I found this software -
http://www.softspb.com/products/palbumpo/index.html - which appears
to address this solution, but doesn't answer any questions. I know
for my clients, this would be a godsend as most can't stand looking
at the mini screens on the back and a laptop is to unwieldy in the
field. The digital wallets also don't have a large enough screen
for the money.

Josef

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS D60
Canon 20-35, Canon 28-135IS, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 70-200 2.8LIS

http://www.pbase.com/vtrac/

OP josef armendariz Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: have u tried this....?

Interesting. If it does actually speed it up like it promises, it could actually be functional. A couple of seconds (even 15) is doable for previews for me. I'm usually just trying to look at one good image, then make adjustments. Heck, Polaroid used to be a 60-90 second wait for an image that usually was still a guessing game.

Anybody tested this yet?

Josef

mark lutz wrote:

http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm

OP josef armendariz Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Dell Axim X5

The Dell is supposed to be pretty good. I wonder with http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm how well this will work. Like i said below, for me even a 15 second preview is worth the wait. I look at it as a Polaroid, not as a multi-image browser. I would hate to buy one and find out it doesn't work well, i already have enough Palm Pilots.

tim martin wrote:

josef armendariz wrote:

Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I think that most Pocket PCs do NOT have a CF slot, but one of the
hottest Pocket PCs around, the Dell Axim X5 does have a CF slot
and could be used exactly as you describe here.

The only problem is Dell has a 2 week wait to get this product.

See my thread on this topic at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=4247596

tim martin Senior Member • Posts: 1,685
Re: Dell Axim X5

josef armendariz wrote:

The Dell is supposed to be pretty good. I wonder with
http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm how well
this will work. Like i said below, for me even a 15 second preview
is worth the wait.

Really, to be honest there are two versions of this product the 300mhz
$250 version, and the 400mhz $350. I think there's a very good chance
that even the 300mhz is pretty darn fast, and the 400mhz is even
better. A "second-generation PDA", et cetera.

Somewhere I saw some people talking about using one of them to
watch short MPEG video films.

It wouldn't suprise me at all to learn that the thing can display large
.jpg files in an instant.

If you wanted, you could ask about this in the forums at:

http://www.aximsite.com/

I look at it as a Polaroid, not as a
multi-image browser. I would hate to buy one and find out it
doesn't work well, i already have enough Palm Pilots.

I wonder how it works with Dell. Looking at their Web page
I see they say:

"All non-defective returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee for
all Small and Medium business customers"

... plus they won't refund the shipping charges.

For myself I like Dell products, but I don't like the fact you can't try
things out first. Can't even hold it in your hands, that is.

Rick Floyd Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: have u tried this....?

Okay, I downloaded the program (very small) and used both a 32MB CF card and my microdrive directly from the camera. This program loads these 1 - 2MB photos almost instantly! I haven't looked at all the features yet, but I am really impressed that the speeds are so much better than the 20 - 25 seconds it takes to load in Internet Explorer.

Rick

josef armendariz wrote:
Interesting. If it does actually speed it up like it promises, it
could actually be functional. A couple of seconds (even 15) is
doable for previews for me. I'm usually just trying to look at one
good image, then make adjustments. Heck, Polaroid used to be a
60-90 second wait for an image that usually was still a guessing
game.

Anybody tested this yet?

Josef

mark lutz wrote:

http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/index.htm

OP josef armendariz Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: have u tried this....?

Cool. Which camera did you shoot the images with? Any chance of taking a picture with your Ipaq)?) displaying a picture?

Josef

Rick Floyd wrote:
Okay, I downloaded the program (very small) and used both a 32MB CF
card and my microdrive directly from the camera. This program
loads these 1 - 2MB photos almost instantly! I haven't looked at
all the features yet, but I am really impressed that the speeds are
so much better than the 20 - 25 seconds it takes to load in
Internet Explorer.

Rick

Jamie W Senior Member • Posts: 1,749
Just got mine....

Just got mine....about a 10 day wait....and it is a great machine. However, anyone used to viewing images on a notebook will be disappointed with the display....its good for what it is, but simply not as sharp, bright and clean as a notebook. Mind you, I am not saying that it should be.....it shouldn't....and it is a great machine. Reads my 1 gig CF no problem.

tim martin wrote:

josef armendariz wrote:

Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I think that most Pocket PCs do NOT have a CF slot, but one of the
hottest Pocket PCs around, the Dell Axim X5 does have a CF slot
and could be used exactly as you describe here.

The only problem is Dell has a 2 week wait to get this product.

See my thread on this topic at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=4247596

-- hide signature --

Jamie W.
Canon D60
Film? What do you mean, film?

OP josef armendariz Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Just got mine....

Hey Jaime,

Can you download the demo software at http://www.glasslantern.com/products/PocketLoupe/download.htm (though it says Compaq, it should work if it's a Pocket PC) and post your thoughts/results with the D60 images?

Thanks

Jamie W wrote:
Just got mine....about a 10 day wait....and it is a great machine.
However, anyone used to viewing images on a notebook will be
disappointed with the display....its good for what it is, but
simply not as sharp, bright and clean as a notebook. Mind you, I am
not saying that it should be.....it shouldn't....and it is a great
machine. Reads my 1 gig CF no problem.

tim martin wrote:

josef armendariz wrote:

Pocket PC to read Canon images (.jpg's) and preview them. Don't
most new Pocket PC's have a CF slot? Can they read directly off
the slot like a hard-drive?

I think that most Pocket PCs do NOT have a CF slot, but one of the
hottest Pocket PCs around, the Dell Axim X5 does have a CF slot
and could be used exactly as you describe here.

The only problem is Dell has a 2 week wait to get this product.

See my thread on this topic at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=4247596

Simon-Ph Senior Member • Posts: 1,817
Cool Gadget!

Haven't tried it, but this gadget looks cool.

http://www.iisvr.com/

-- hide signature --

Simon-Ph

Jeff Blum Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: have u tried this....?

The latest version of PocketLoupe uses a significantly faster JPEG decoder than the built-in Pocket PC Internet Explorer application, so it is indeed much quicker. In addition, we're working on a new release that is focused on improving support for Canon users and boosts overall performance, including:

1. It is MUCH faster when displaying the large thumbs embedded in CRW files. This is pretty slow in the current released version - we found a way to speed it up tremendously.

2. Somewhat improves performance of normal JPEG reading.

3. Supports the .THM files associated with .CRW files - when you view a .CRW, it will bring up the THM image instantly, then immediately load the CRW large thumb in the background. This also means it has better EXIF support for CRW files, and it feels much faster, since you don't have to wait for the full image to load to see the small thumb.

4. Vastly improves launch time and the time it takes to generate the list of files.

5. User interface and other improvements for better status, responsiveness, etc.

The new release should be out in the next couple of weeks. If you're interested in trying the beta and letting us know what you think, drop us a line. Also, don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have...

thanks,
-jeff

-- hide signature --

Jeff Blum, CEO
Glass Lantern, LLC
jeffbl@glasslantern.com
http://www.glasslantern.com

josef armendariz wrote:
Cool. Which camera did you shoot the images with? Any chance of
taking a picture with your Ipaq)?) displaying a picture?

Josef

Rick Floyd wrote:
Okay, I downloaded the program (very small) and used both a 32MB CF
card and my microdrive directly from the camera. This program
loads these 1 - 2MB photos almost instantly! I haven't looked at
all the features yet, but I am really impressed that the speeds are
so much better than the 20 - 25 seconds it takes to load in
Internet Explorer.

Rick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads