NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Started Aug 2, 2017 | Discussions
Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,592
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

ski542002 wrote:

Hello. Have been using MediaPro, iViewMedia for over 15 years. Phase One can’t, or won’t update the app to Apple’s 64 bit architecture so it has reached end-of-life. I’ve not found any DAM app that functions as smootly or efficiently. Started usig Photo Supreme but don’t care for the interface; am considering NeoFinder.

One feature where iView shines is it’s slide show function. I can very easily make a slide show from any iView catalog, producing simple and elegant dissolves from image to image. I advance the show manually. Any other standalone slide show app I’ve tried converts images to a movie file, using dumb complex transitions that take away from the look of my images.

How do you like NeoFinder’s interface compared to Photo Supreme, and does NeoFinder have a slide show function? Photo Supreme’s slide show function is garbage, and below rudimentary in it’s functionality.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

AFAIK NeoFInder just shows thumbnails to let you find the images. It does not have the features that programs like iView Media pro had.

More importantly it seems very solid and will import from all sorts of catalog formats which was invaluable to me. Support is also good and fast.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,905

ski542002 wrote:

Hello. Have been using MediaPro, iViewMedia for over 15 years. Phase One can’t, or won’t update the app to Apple’s 64 bit architecture so it has reached end-of-life. I’ve not found any DAM app that functions as smootly or efficiently. Started usig Photo Supreme but don’t care for the interface; am considering NeoFinder.

One feature where iView shines is it’s slide show function. I can very easily make a slide show from any iView catalog, producing simple and elegant dissolves from image to image. I advance the show manually. Any other standalone slide show app I’ve tried converts images to a movie file, using dumb complex transitions that take away from the look of my images.

How do you like NeoFinder’s interface compared to Photo Supreme, and does NeoFinder have a slide show function? Photo Supreme’s slide show function is garbage, and below rudimentary in it’s functionality.

I'm not convinced Neofinder has a slideshow tool at all, and its interface is a bit utilitarian.  You can try it yourself as it has a never ending trial for databases from a single volume.

You need to spend a bit of time with it and read the short manual, as it's more powerful than it looks.

Even though, I am fairly convinced I will end up using Photo Mechanic 6 when its released later this year, I can't see it being as versatile as Neofinder, so will hang onto Neofinder as my general purpose DAM.

But you do need to try it yourself.

Cheers,

Graham

Photomonkey wrote:

AFAIK NeoFInder just shows thumbnails to let you find the images. It does not have the features that programs like iView Media pro had.

Can you explain that further.

Do you mean that it doesn't automatically create panels for all the keywords, place names, dates etc that Media Pro does , or allow comparisons of selected images.

Cheers,

Graham

Hans de Zomers Regular Member • Posts: 326

ski542002 wrote:

One feature where iView shines is it’s slide show function. I can very easily make a slide show from any iView catalog, producing simple and elegant dissolves from image to image. I advance the show manually.

<snip>

Photo Supreme’s slide show function is garbage, and below rudimentary in it’s functionality.

Photo Supreme's slide show may not be the most advanced feature in the product, but if what you need is to dissolve from image to image and have ways to advance the show manually, then your need is just a rudimentary as Photo Supreme's slide show feature. That's exactly what Photo Supreme's slide show offers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hans de Zomers's gear list:Hans de Zomers's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS M50
ski542002 Regular Member • Posts: 178

Hi:  I politely disagree.

PhotoSupreme's slideshow defaults to full screen, which I at times I don't want.

It also defaults to a 4 second view per image, and auto-advances without my control..

The dissolves are choppy and slow. In iView, I can run images that are 25mb in size and the dissolves are smooth and crisp.  Only when I view a 65+ mb tiffs does the dissolve begin to even slightly transition roughly.

In iView, I have full control of these features.

ski542002's gear list:ski542002's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +7 more

ski542002 wrote:

PhotoSupreme's slideshow defaults to full screen, which I at times I don't want.

True.

It also defaults to a 4 second view per image, and auto-advances without my control..

I just tried it here and I think it is 5 seconds. But afaik indeed not adjustable. You can stop auto advances. Hover the mouse to the top of the screen and pause the slideshow in the bar. While running or while paused, I can press right and left cursor keys to advance.

The dissolves are choppy and slow.

Agreed. I don't mind that much as it's smooth enough on my i7 2016 MacBook.

PeterGuyton.com
PeterGuyton.com Senior Member • Posts: 2,327

myotisone wrote:

ski542002 wrote:

I'm not convinced Neofinder has a slideshow tool at all, and its interface is a bit utilitarian. You can try it yourself as it has a never ending trial for databases from a single volume.

You need to spend a bit of time with it and read the short manual, as it's more powerful than it looks.

Even though, I am fairly convinced I will end up using Photo Mechanic 6 when its released later this year, I can't see it being as versatile as Neofinder, so will hang onto Neofinder as my general purpose DAM.

But you do need to try it yourself.

Cheers,

Graham

Graham,

I'm curious how the Neofinder <--> C1 catalog thing works.  You indicated it can ingest C1 catalogs. Can you describe?  I'm a heavy C1 user with probably 125k images in three catalogs. I'd like to be able to search across them and also search some non-C1 assets.

As far as Photomechanic 6 goes, I'll believe when I see it .... I remember reading about their upcoming "catalog" app, oh, 6 or 7 years ago.  Luminar is supposed to have a DAM by end of year too.

PeterGuyton.com's gear list:PeterGuyton.com's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +13 more

Cogset wrote:

Graham,

I'm curious how the Neofinder <--> C1 catalog thing works. You indicated it can ingest C1 catalogs. Can you describe? I'm a heavy C1 user with probably 125k images in three catalogs. I'd like to be able to search across them and also search some non-C1 assets.

As far as Photomechanic 6 goes, I'll believe when I see it .... I remember reading about their upcoming "catalog" app, oh, 6 or 7 years ago. Luminar is supposed to have a DAM by end of year too.

I'm not sure I said it could "ingest' C1 catalogues. If I did, I didn't mean to.

It can import Media Pro catalogues and you can export C1 catalogues to Media Pro catalogues ( I think).

Neofinder  will catalogue C1 *.cof files, but now that I know what a  *.cof files is, I'm not sure how useful that is. I thought it was a preview of the edited C1 raw, but its a fuzzy black and white image. If you change the cof extension to jpg, you will be able to to see the file.

However,  I have all my files managed at a system level using a date based hierarchy, all meta data is in XMP sidecar files, and I have C1 set up to read and write XMP. I also save final images as TIFs.

Until last week, I had several separate C1 catalogues, one for each year. Plus a single Neofinder catalogue that catalogued all the files in my system photo folder.  Any metadata written by either C1 or Neofinder is therefore shared via the XMP files (C1 updates automatically, Neofinder needs you to manually update the catalogue.

You cannot see ongoing C1 edits in Neofinder, but as all my finalised images are saved as TIFFs, any finished edits from C1 obviously show up in Neofinder as TIFFs.

Its not perfect, but Neofinder is fast and flexible and, given how cheap it is, (even free if you only want to catalogue a single volume, as the trial never expires) it's a useful addition to C1.

As for Photomechanic, the promise from a few weeks ago was that it would be out by the end of 2018 "even it kills us".  They already have  an alpha/beta version (demonstrated  at a trade show some 6 years ago) but have publicly admitted that getting it  to work at the speed and reliability that they wanted has proven to be a far more difficult job than they had realised.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Graham

PeterGuyton.com
PeterGuyton.com Senior Member • Posts: 2,327

myotisone wrote:

Cogset wrote:

Graham,

I'm curious how the Neofinder <--> C1 catalog thing works. You indicated it can ingest C1 catalogs. Can you describe? I'm a heavy C1 user with probably 125k images in three catalogs. I'd like to be able to search across them and also search some non-C1 assets.

As far as Photomechanic 6 goes, I'll believe when I see it .... I remember reading about their upcoming "catalog" app, oh, 6 or 7 years ago. Luminar is supposed to have a DAM by end of year too.

I'm not sure I said it could "ingest' C1 catalogues. If I did, I didn't mean to.

It can import Media Pro catalogues and you can export C1 catalogues to Media Pro catalogues ( I think).

Neofinder will catalogue C1 *.cof files, but now that I know what a *.cof files is, I'm not sure how useful that is. I thought it was a preview of the edited C1 raw, but its a fuzzy black and white image. If you change the cof extension to jpg, you will be able to to see the file.

However, I have all my files managed at a system level using a date based hierarchy, all meta data is in XMP sidecar files, and I have C1 set up to read and write XMP. I also save final images as TIFs.

Until last week, I had several separate C1 catalogues, one for each year. Plus a single Neofinder catalogue that catalogued all the files in my system photo folder. Any metadata written by either C1 or Neofinder is therefore shared via the XMP files (C1 updates automatically, Neofinder needs you to manually update the catalogue.

You cannot see ongoing C1 edits in Neofinder, but as all my finalised images are saved as TIFFs, any finished edits from C1 obviously show up in Neofinder as TIFFs.

Its not perfect, but Neofinder is fast and flexible and, given how cheap it is, (even free if you only want to catalogue a single volume, as the trial never expires) it's a useful addition to C1.

As for Photomechanic, the promise from a few weeks ago was that it would be out by the end of 2018 "even it kills us". They already have an alpha/beta version (demonstrated at a trade show some 6 years ago) but have publicly admitted that getting it to work at the speed and reliability that they wanted has proven to be a far more difficult job than they had realised.

Where did you see that promise?  Just curious.  I respect Photomechanic and figure they will set a high bar for DAM performance (if they actually finish it!!).  
I'm wrestling with long term approaches to image management. C1's catalog has improved enough that I feel it can work as an editor & DAM.  (I use it more and more as an editor and export to JPG/TIFF only as needed).  But I also would like a 'catalog of catalogs" tool of some sort and am considering output to tiff (from C1) as a piece of the puzzle to enable that.

I also think PhaseOne would benefit from stealing the "ability to catalog multiple C1 catalogs" in Media Pro and use it some how, perhaps in an add-on to C1.  It could be read-only and simply allow you to see thumbnails/previews and search across all of that quickly.  It could take you to the C1 source (a catalog or session) to update metadata or edit an image if needed.   Probably not in my lifetime though.....

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Graham

PeterGuyton.com's gear list:PeterGuyton.com's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +13 more

Cogset wrote:

myotisone wrote:

Where did you see that promise? Just curious. I respect Photomechanic and figure they will set a high bar for DAM performance (if they actually finish it!!).

Promise came from Kirk Baker, Senior Software Engineer at Camera bIts, on the Photo Mechanic help forum a couple of weeks ago.

I too am struggling with the right approach.  A  structured file system, XMP sidecar files and TIFF finals have been at the centre of me being able to easily chop and change my approach and software  over the years, and run multiple systems at once.

My favoured approach at the moment is using Lightroom as a DAM and its publish services feature to copy raw files from Lightroom into C1 sessions. This keeps a record in Lightroom of the images I have moved to a C1 session, and as soon as a raw image is copied to a C1 session its automatically available to C1.

I run PS from C1 as a "Plugin" and then save out final Tiffs from C1 to catalogue back in Lightroom, and then use LR print or convert to JPEGS using jpegMini.

But I still find LR a pretty poor DAM (but much better than C1), and although this set up seems to be working fairly well (still refining it) I don't feel able to fully commit until I have a chance to see how well PM6 will work for me.

I wish I didn't like C1 so much, as it would be so much simpler to not have to include it in my workflow.

Cheers,

Graham

Good morning:

I appreciate your tip for pausing the advance. My frustration is, if anyone on this thread has ever tried and mastered iView, you will realize the frustration in having to work within the constraints of anything else even remotely resembling an asset management program. Some of it I'm sure for me, is just muscle memory having worked with it for 15+ years.  But when I look at these other attempts, they are just severely lacking.

I did submit an email inquiry to the developer for NeoFinder on their site and MacUpdate. Have some questions for him before I purchase though the price won't bankrupt me

Thanks again for the followup thoughts.

Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +7 more

Hello:  So, I'm replying to myself!  I did download  NeoFinder.  There is a trial period; will experiment with hopefully promising results.

ski542002 wrote:

My frustration is, if anyone on this thread has ever tried and mastered iView, you will realize the frustration in having to work within the constraints of anything else

I fully understand your frustration. In the past I've used iView MediaPro. After Microsoft acquired the product, I decided that it was better to move away from it.

I had the choice. Being forced to switch software is never good, that for the most elementary reason: you don't want to switch. One thing is sure; MediaPro is dead and you won't find a clone.

Make a sort list and decide what you think are the top 3 most important features to have in a DAM. I can't imagine that making a slideshow is on that list. DAM is about managing your assets, finding your assets, and organizing your assets.

Forget what MediaPro did and focus on the strengths of what other DAM products have to offer and how they support your top 3 list.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,063

myotisone wrote:

Cogset wrote:

myotisone wrote:

Where did you see that promise? Just curious. I respect Photomechanic and figure they will set a high bar for DAM performance (if they actually finish it!!).

Promise came from Kirk Baker, Senior Software Engineer at Camera bIts, on the Photo Mechanic help forum a couple of weeks ago.

The quote was in response to a question about "PM6 / Catalog" release. The cynic in me interpreted that as PM6. Given they've been working on it supposedly for over 2.5 years maybe. It's still 32bit IIRC as well. http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10179.0

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW

robgendreau wrote:

The quote was in response to a question about "PM6 / Catalog" release. The cynic in me interpreted that as PM6. Given they've been working on it supposedly for over 2.5 years maybe. It's still 32bit IIRC as well. http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=10179.0

They have been working on it far longer than this, as I said in another post they were actually demonstrating  the program at a photo trade show, at least 6 years ago.

Every time its been mentioned in the past they have refused to give a time scale, but have confirmed they have been  working on it every day.

Cheers,

Graham

Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,592

myotisone wrote:

Photomonkey wrote:

Do you mean that it doesn't automatically create panels for all the keywords, place names, dates etc that Media Pro does , or allow comparisons of selected images.

Cheers,

Graham

It DOES create panels of EXIF info and assorted data.

It just doesn't make slideshows or websites etc.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,063

myotisone wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

They have been working on it far longer than this, as I said in another post they were actually demonstrating the program at a photo trade show, at least 6 years ago.

Every time its been mentioned in the past they have refused to give a time scale, but have confirmed they have been working on it every day.

Wow. Talk about a moving target.

I'd be satisfied with 64bit, some great text searching and filtering, and some interface updates. Maybe exiftool integration. Leave the rest to Lr.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW

Hello Hans:

You’re correct in your assertions that finding an iView clone is an effort in futility.  My only disagreement is the slide show feature.  That feature is one of my top 3 as it is a great way to formally present a completed project to a client.

I’ll keep plugging away on my end and RIP iView.

Photomonkey wrote:

myotisone wrote:

Photomonkey wrote:

Cheers,

Graham

It DOES create panels of EXIF info and assorted data.

It just doesn't make slideshows or websites etc.

Yes it creates panels "showing" this data, but in Media Pro, there are collapsable panels that list all the keywords, dates, place names etc that each have a radio button so you can immediately select 1995 or Bristol or click on both to both to select 1995 and Bristol.

Neofinder does have a very basic web gallery feature.

https://www.cdfinder.de/guide/10/10.1/neofinder_web_galleries.html

Cheers,

Graham

robgendreau wrote:

myotisone wrote:

robgendreau wrote:

They have been working on it far longer than this, as I said in another post they were actually demonstrating the program at a photo trade show, at least 6 years ago.

Every time its been mentioned in the past they have refused to give a time scale, but have confirmed they have been working on it every day.

Wow. Talk about a moving target.

I'd be satisfied with 64bit, some great text searching and filtering, and some interface updates. Maybe exiftool integration. Leave the rest to Lr.

Yep, its been going on for a long long time, which means I think everyone is hoping for great things.

Cheers,

Graham

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads