NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Started Aug 2, 2017 | Discussions
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Andy Hewitt wrote:

myotisone wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

That is my cunning plan of course :-).

But, is it "As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?"

Yes, it's that cunning my lord.

That's OK then

Cheers,

Graham

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,063
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

myotisone wrote:

As I said thumbnails render instantly with Media Pro and Neofinder, but are slow to very slow to render with all the browser type programs I have tried, as soon as I am trying to browse through a large numbers of thumbnails.

Hmm. Mine seem to load fast. Might have to do with our machines, RAW rendering via the OS, caches, etc.

None the less, I may well update my copy of GraphicsConverter as I had forgotten how useful it is.

Yeah, and now HEVC/HEIF conversion if you're gonna need or use that in 10.13. It's an amazingly useful application. On my machines perhaps the oldest continually used non-OS program I've got. Might be useful in addition to what you've got; you can twiddle with it's cache size and location, so at least for more frequently accessed files it might be pretty speed for you.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

 robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

robgendreau wrote:

Hmm. Mine seem to load fast. Might have to do with our machines, RAW rendering via the OS, caches, etc.

Probably, mine is only a 2011 Mac  Mini, albeit  upgraded to an SSD and 16gb RAM. but files are on an external hard drive. And the Mini only has USB 2.  I actually have a thunderbolt to USB 3 hub, with the plan to connect my two external HDs through USB3, but this was to improve video editing speed rather than stills rendering.

I haven't put a lot of thought into it, as it hasn't been a problem with C1, Media Pro and NeoFinder, but with these, the catalogues are on the SSD, so would expect these to be faster, even without the built in previews.

But, then again, LR with the catalogue on the SSD is slow to render, as was Photo Supreme, which would in fact have been "OK" if I hadn't been aware of how fast Media Pro and Neofinder were.

Cheers,

Graham

Canco New Member • Posts: 2
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Hello to all,

Just read a few parts of this discussion and I switched a year ago to iMatch as a DAM and it works real fine. Maybe this can help.

Best regards

Rob

 Canco's gear list:Canco's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Canco wrote:

Just read a few parts of this discussion and I switched a year ago to iMatch as a DAM and it works real fine. Maybe this can help.

An excellent DAM that I used years ago, but unless its changed, it is Windows only , and the discussion was about Mac software.

Thanks for trying

Cheers,

Graham

Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,989
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

myotisone wrote:

Canco wrote:

Just read a few parts of this discussion and I switched a year ago to iMatch as a DAM and it works real fine. Maybe this can help.

An excellent DAM that I used years ago, but unless its changed, it is Windows only , and the discussion was about Mac software.

Thanks for trying

Also quite expensive, but if it's good then probably worth it if you have the right platform to run it on ;-).

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

 Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Also quite expensive, but if it's good then probably worth it if you have the right platform to run it on ;-).

Its cheaper than my current DAM of Media Pro,  and I already have a license for it somewhere. At least in theory, as I have no idea where I will have a record of it.

Cheers,

Graham

Mario M. Westphal
Mario M. Westphal Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution
1

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Also quite expensive, but if it's good then probably worth it if you have the right platform to run it on ;-).

Nope. Not really

Look at other real DAM software from companies like CANTO, FotoWare, Extensis, AssetBank Widen. These products all start at several thousand dollars, plus annual maintenance fees. DAMinion is among the cheapest, with 175 US$ per month (up to 5 users).

IMatch 2017 costs only 109,99 US$ for a perpetual license (no expiry, no subscription). The licensed user can use IMatch on any number of computers. I'm not greedy.

And if you buy a IMatch Anywhere™ PLUS bundle, you get IMatch plus a 2 concurrent user (!) license for IMatch Anywhere for 145US$. Again, as a perpetual license.

This means you can use the desktop version of IMatch on Windows, and access your IMatch database via network from any device and operating system with a fairly modern web browser: tablet, smart phone, Linux, Mac, Smart TV, ...

Damn. A steal, really

-- hide signature --

Mario M. Westphal - Author of IMatch

Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,989
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Mario M. Westphal wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Also quite expensive, but if it's good then probably worth it if you have the right platform to run it on ;-).

Nope. Not really

Look at other real DAM software from companies like CANTO, FotoWare, Extensis, AssetBank Widen. These products all start at several thousand dollars, plus annual maintenance fees. DAMinion is among the cheapest, with 175 US$ per month (up to 5 users).

IMatch 2017 costs only 109,99 US$ for a perpetual license (no expiry, no subscription). The licensed user can use IMatch on any number of computers. I'm not greedy.

And if you buy a IMatch Anywhere™ PLUS bundle, you get IMatch plus a 2 concurrent user (!) license for IMatch Anywhere for 145US$. Again, as a perpetual license.

This means you can use the desktop version of IMatch on Windows, and access your IMatch database via network from any device and operating system with a fairly modern web browser: tablet, smart phone, Linux, Mac, Smart TV, ...

Damn. A steal, really

Are we talking corporate or individual usage here?

Granted it's cheaper than, say, PhotoMechanic on the Mac, but it's more expensive than, say, Lightroom or Corel Aftershot - and after all, we are really only interested in Digital *Photo* Asset Management in here.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

 Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Mario M. Westphal
Mario M. Westphal Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Are we talking corporate or individual usage here?

Granted it's cheaper than, say, PhotoMechanic on the Mac, but it's more expensive than, say, Lightroom or Corel Aftershot - and after all, we are really only interested in Digital *Photo* Asset Management in here.

IMatch is licensed on a per user basis. IMatch Anywhere is licensed on a concurrent seats basis (how many users can connect at the same time). IMatch is used by 'amateur' and professional photographers, image agencies. libraries, governmental, institutional and corporate users.

Lr and AS are mainly RAW development products / image editors. With some basic image management capabilities glued on. If this is all you need - perfect. Whatever works for you is good.

About 50% of the 'non-pro' IMatch user base uses Lr for RAW processing. The other half uses C1, SilkyPix, NX-D, Raw Therapee, ACDSee, AS,, whatever. 99% of the professional photographers use Lr and/or Ps. Corporate and institutional users often have to deal with whatever comes with Windows or is free. Budgets.

All these user types manage their photos in IMatch. But not only!
DAM is not about photos alone. In many cases you also want to manage your videos, vectors, audio files, associated documentation, PDF or Office documents. Files which belong together should be managed together. Especially when you don't think in single photos but in projects .

Many consider it wise to have your DAM independent from your image editing software. Maybe you use a different image editor or RAW processor next year? Or you prefer different RAW processors for different RAW formats? Perhaps switch to Affinity Photo or Designer? Need to manage file formats not supported by your image editor?

If you think about image management, you have to think long-term. Many IMatch users use it for the past 5 or 10 years - managing between 30,000 and 1,000,000 files. Quite a few RAW processors and image editors came and went over the last decade...

As I said above, different users have different needs. Whatever works for you is good.

-- hide signature --

Mario M. Westphal - Author of IMatch

Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,333
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Mario M. Westphal wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Are we talking corporate or individual usage here?

Granted it's cheaper than, say, PhotoMechanic on the Mac, but it's more expensive than, say, Lightroom or Corel Aftershot - and after all, we are really only interested in Digital *Photo* Asset Management in here.

IMatch is licensed on a per user basis. IMatch Anywhere is licensed on a concurrent seats basis (how many users can connect at the same time). IMatch is used by 'amateur' and professional photographers, image agencies. libraries, governmental, institutional and corporate users.

Lr and AS are mainly RAW development products / image editors. With some basic image management capabilities glued on. If this is all you need - perfect. Whatever works for you is good.

About 50% of the 'non-pro' IMatch user base uses Lr for RAW processing. The other half uses C1, SilkyPix, NX-D, Raw Therapee, ACDSee, AS,, whatever. 99% of the professional photographers use Lr and/or Ps. Corporate and institutional users often have to deal with whatever comes with Windows or is free. Budgets.

All these user types manage their photos in IMatch. But not only!
DAM is not about photos alone. In many cases you also want to manage your videos, vectors, audio files, associated documentation, PDF or Office documents. Files which belong together should be managed together. Especially when you don't think in single photos but in projects .

Many consider it wise to have your DAM independent from your image editing software. Maybe you use a different image editor or RAW processor next year? Or you prefer different RAW processors for different RAW formats? Perhaps switch to Affinity Photo or Designer? Need to manage file formats not supported by your image editor?

If you think about image management, you have to think long-term. Many IMatch users use it for the past 5 or 10 years - managing between 30,000 and 1,000,000 files. Quite a few RAW processors and image editors came and went over the last decade...

As I said above, different users have different needs. Whatever works for you is good.

Note to moderator:

Please move these posts about IMatch to the PC Talk forum. They must have been erroneously posted here and may be in violation of Forum Rule #9 anyway. Thanks.

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Mario M. Westphal
Mario M. Westphal Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Note to moderator:

Please move these posts about IMatch to the PC Talk forum. They must have been erroneously posted here and may be in violation of Forum Rule #9 anyway. Thanks.

I've just tried to be helpful because my software was mentioned above. I usually don't post much at dpreview so if this was the wrong thread, I apologize.  If the mod deletes it, no loss.

-- hide signature --

Mario M. Westphal - Author of IMatch

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,063
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Mario M. Westphal wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Note to moderator:

Please move these posts about IMatch to the PC Talk forum. They must have been erroneously posted here and may be in violation of Forum Rule #9 anyway. Thanks.

I've just tried to be helpful because my software was mentioned above. I usually don't post much at dpreview so if this was the wrong thread, I apologize. If the mod deletes it, no loss.

I appreciate the info, and given that it will work on say a server with macOS access via a browser, it's nice info to have here. We have tons of posts suggesting PCs as alternatives to  Macs, and so for some this might be useful info. I'd prefer it stays.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

 robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

robgendreau wrote:

I appreciate the info, and given that it will work on say a server with macOS access via a browser, it's nice info to have here.

I hadn't picked up on that, and I agree its useful to know.

We have tons of posts suggesting PCs as alternatives to Macs, and so for some this might be useful info. I'd prefer it stays.

I agree with this as  it does contain useful information.

Cheers,

Graham

Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,333
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Mario M. Westphal wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Note to moderator:

Please move these posts about IMatch to the PC Talk forum. They must have been erroneously posted here and may be in violation of Forum Rule #9 anyway. Thanks.

I've just tried to be helpful because my software was mentioned above. I usually don't post much at dpreview so if this was the wrong thread, I apologize. If the mod deletes it, no loss.

And I probably over-reacted, too.

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,989
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Mario M. Westphal wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Are we talking corporate or individual usage here?

Granted it's cheaper than, say, PhotoMechanic on the Mac, but it's more expensive than, say, Lightroom or Corel Aftershot - and after all, we are really only interested in Digital *Photo* Asset Management in here.

IMatch is licensed on a per user basis. IMatch Anywhere is licensed on a concurrent seats basis (how many users can connect at the same time). IMatch is used by 'amateur' and professional photographers, image agencies. libraries, governmental, institutional and corporate users.

You misunderstand, I was querying the comparison of a list of very expensive non-Mac apps, iMatch. Me feeling was that the comparisons aren't relevant in the context of the thread or this group.

Lr and AS are mainly RAW development products / image editors. With some basic image management capabilities glued on. If this is all you need - perfect. Whatever works for you is good.

That's completely wrong. In fact LR and Aperture (as they were the original options to become available) were actually DAM apps with Raw Workflow/editing included. The editing tools gradually evolved into much more than was initially intended, and we now have Photo DAMs that are editing tools biased. The original intention was to offer a DAM with some Raw fine tuning (in the case of Aperture) and basic adjustment tools, with the option to edit in an external editor if needed (in both cases they were set up to make good use of Photoshop).

About 50% of the 'non-pro' IMatch user base uses Lr for RAW processing. The other half uses C1, SilkyPix, NX-D, Raw Therapee, ACDSee, AS,, whatever. 99% of the professional photographers use Lr and/or Ps. Corporate and institutional users often have to deal with whatever comes with Windows or is free. Budgets.

All these user types manage their photos in IMatch. But not only!
DAM is not about photos alone. In many cases you also want to manage your videos, vectors, audio files, associated documentation, PDF or Office documents. Files which belong together should be managed together. Especially when you don't think in single photos but in projects .

Indeed so, but for main, and for most users in this group, I would think that was very much in a level of over-kill. For a studio owner, I certainly understand that storing project files altogether would be beneficial. To the multitude of hobbyists and amateurs that are around, it's probably not desirable. I was only pointing out that for the needs of those users, a full on standalone DAM might be exceeding needs, and far more costly than is required.

Many consider it wise to have your DAM independent from your image editing software. Maybe you use a different image editor or RAW processor next year? Or you prefer different RAW processors for different RAW formats? Perhaps switch to Affinity Photo or Designer? Need to manage file formats not supported by your image editor?

I would agree with that, but having separate DAMs from the editing tools is not usually compliant with a non-destructive workflow, which works very well for a Raw photo user.

If we could choose a DAM, and a separate Raw editor, and even creative editors, that all worked together using a common data file (one that was *really* open and universal), so that a truly non-destructive workflow could be maintained, then you would have something seriously desirable.

If you think about image management, you have to think long-term. Many IMatch users use it for the past 5 or 10 years - managing between 30,000 and 1,000,000 files. Quite a few RAW processors and image editors came and went over the last decade...

Quite a few? Can't think of many on the Mac platform. Certainly a few minor upstarts may have come and gone, but most of the big boys are still around, loads of open-source ones too, which have continuously been developed for years, and still are.

As I said above, different users have different needs. Whatever works for you is good.

Indeed so. I usually accept that YMMV always applies.

-- hide signature --

Mario M. Westphal - Author of IMatch

Well, blimey, I hadn't spotted that before :-).

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

 Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,592
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Just bringing this topic to the top again as it is a useful thread.

NeoFinder is a splendid DAM in that it is focused exactly on that task.

Many other applications are mentioned that have DAM features in addition to other functionality however NeoFinder does just that one task brilliantly.

 Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
DanDP New Member • Posts: 6
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution
1

I checked out the file formats that GraphicConverter handles and found the program to be lacking as far as video formats are concerned.

https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/key-features/import-and-export-formats/

It doesn't even handle .mts (Panasonic) video files. Very important because so many Panasonic users chose their cameras because video creation is so important.

DanDP New Member • Posts: 6
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution
1
ski542002 Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: NeoFinder turns out to be a great DAM solution

Hello. Have been using MediaPro, iViewMedia for over 15 years. Phase One can’t, or won’t update the app to Apple’s 64 bit architecture so it has reached end-of-life.  I’ve not found any DAM app  that functions as smootly or efficiently.  Started usig Photo Supreme but don’t care for the interface; am considering NeoFinder.

One feature where iView shines is it’s slide show function.  I can very easily make a slide show from any iView catalog, producing simple and elegant dissolves from image to image.  I advance the show manually.  Any other standalone slide show app I’ve tried converts images to a movie file, using dumb complex transitions that take away from the look of my images.

How do you like NeoFinder’s interface compared to Photo Supreme, and does NeoFinder have a slide show function?  Photo Supreme’s slide show function is garbage, and below rudimentary in it’s functionality.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

 ski542002's gear list:ski542002's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads