Is film simulation in JPEG Exif?

Started Jul 31, 2017 | Discussions
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,226
Is film simulation in JPEG Exif?

Is the film simulation chosen stored somewhere in the EXIF for the JPEGs I'm shooting with my X100F?  I really like the Film simulations, but I change them a lot depending on the setting.  It would be nice if I could tell exactly which simulation I used for a shot after the fact.   Any way to do this?

Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,226
Found it

Okay, I had tried all my standard software, but hadn't tried the Fuji software.   The SilkyPix RAW FILE CONVERTER 2.0 they included shows the Film Simulation mode.  Too bad it's a bit of a cumbersome viewer.

If only there was a way to get that entry into FastStone!

Acrill
Acrill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158
Re: Is film simulation in JPEG Exif?

Is your question about the JPEG data in general, or specifically about Faststone?

I believe ExifTool can show the embedded film simulation for RAW or JPEG.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,330
Re: Is film simulation in JPEG Exif?

tkbslc wrote:

Is the film simulation chosen stored somewhere in the EXIF for the JPEGs I'm shooting with my X100F? I really like the Film simulations, but I change them a lot depending on the setting. It would be nice if I could tell exactly which simulation I used for a shot after the fact. Any way to do this?

It's definitely stored in the EXIF data.  ExifTool will show it.  I believe it's in the Maker Notes.  I can't say what other software applications will show.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
Exit10 Senior Member • Posts: 2,264
Re: Found it

tkbslc wrote:

Okay, I had tried all my standard software, but hadn't tried the Fuji software. The SilkyPix RAW FILE CONVERTER 2.0 they included shows the Film Simulation mode. Too bad it's a bit of a cumbersome viewer.

Here you go - if you really want to do it - run exiftool and put the film simulation into the JPEG Comment which FastStone does display:

exiftool -overwrite_original "-Comment<FilmMode" *.JPG

Use at your own risk!!

Curiously, in testing this command, I discovered that the X-T2 does not record the film simulation if you use Acros.

Exit10's gear list:Exit10's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6i Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,041

tkbslc wrote:

Okay, I had tried all my standard software, but hadn't tried the Fuji software. The SilkyPix RAW FILE CONVERTER 2.0 they included shows the Film Simulation mode. Too bad it's a bit of a cumbersome viewer.

Try Irfanview. It quickly displays full EXIF information, including film simulation, for any image.  It's free and I like it better than Faststone.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,685
a Lightroom plugin

tkbslc wrote:

Is the film simulation chosen stored somewhere in the EXIF for the JPEGs I'm shooting with my X100F?

As others have pointed out, the answer is yes, but it's in the "maker notes", not in one of the standard EXIF fields. That means you need a tool that can read and interpret the maker notes. You didn't mention what image viewer/organizer you use, but you might want to Google the question of whether it can read maker notes for Fuji, or whether it can use a plugin that will add that capability.

For example, I use Lightroom to manage my photos, and there's a plugin from a developer named Jeffrey Friedl which makes Exiftool available in Lightroom. Exiftool can read most maker notes from most manufacturers, including Fuji. Friedl's plugin is called Metadata Viewer.

In use, Metadata Viewer is not as convenient as Lightroom's own native metadata viewer—you have to invoke it as a separate operation for any photo where you want to use it. But it does allow me to view all the available metadata, including maker notes (which Lightroom will not read on its own), from nearly all cameras without leaving Lightroom.

Exit10 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Here you go - if you really want to do it - run exiftool and put the film simulation into the JPEG Comment which FastStone does display:

Use at your own risk!!

Thanks, I may try that later on some test images and see  if exiftool can real all the film simulations.  I've found a few photo viewers that seem to read the film simulation mode, but most only can interpret Provia and can't interpret the newer ones like Pro Neg

Curiously, in testing this command, I discovered that the X-T2 does not record the film simulation if you use Acros.

It shows up in the  SilkyPix version supplied by Fujifilm.   So it's in there somewhere.

bowportes wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Try Irfanview. It quickly displays full EXIF information, including film simulation, for any image. It's free and I like it better than Faststone.

I do like it overall, but Irfanview is pretty clunky for exploring folders, etc.   I did find where it will try to show the film simulation, but it seems to only show something when it is Provia.

Camnu Regular Member • Posts: 213

bowportes wrote:

Try Irfanview. It quickly displays full EXIF information, including film simulation, for any image. It's free and I like it better than Faststone.

I also use Irfanview. Could you please tell me how to see the Film Simulation in Irfanview. Thanks.

Camnu wrote:

bowportes wrote:

I also use Irfanview. Could you please tell me how to see the Film Simulation in Irfanview. Thanks.

You need the EXIF plugin (which I think only works with the 32bit version of Irfanview) - then, when the image is displayed you press "I" and click on "EXIF Info".

Canon EOS Rebel T6i Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more

tkbslc wrote:

Exit10 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Use at your own risk!!

Thanks, I may try that later on some test images and see if exiftool can real all the film simulations. I've found a few photo viewers that seem to read the film simulation mode, but most only can interpret Provia and can't interpret the newer ones like Pro Neg

It shows up in the SilkyPix version supplied by Fujifilm. So it's in there somewhere.

Interesting - I'd never have found it if you hadn't posted that hint.

Acros, B&W and Sepia are all stored in the Saturation tag. All the others including Pro Neg are stored in the FilmMode tag. That would complicate the ExifTool command to update the comment field but its still possible.

Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,556

Exit10 wrote:

...run exiftool and put the film simulation into the JPEG Comment which FastStone does display:

Use at your own risk!!

You know your exiftool script language! Maybe you should change your screen name to Exif10. One caution: the command wipes out existing comments. I'm no expert, so I don't know the command that would append the film mode and saturation values.

This web page lists the Fuji X Exif tags, the numeric values they take, and the meaning of the numeric values - from Phil Harvey, the creator of Exiftool. He has performed enormous service to photographers and users of JPGs and raw files, as a gift to society.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/FujiFilm.html

Charles2 wrote:

Exit10 wrote:

...run exiftool and put the film simulation into the JPEG Comment which FastStone does display:

Use at your own risk!!

You know your exiftool script language! Maybe you should change your screen name to Exif10. One caution: the command wipes out existing comments. I'm no expert, so I don't know the command that would append the film mode and saturation values.

This web page lists the Fuji X Exif tags, the numeric values they take, and the meaning of the numeric values - from Phil Harvey, the creator of Exiftool. He has performed enormous service to photographers and users of JPGs and raw files, as a gift to society.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/FujiFilm.html

I don't think ExifTool allows you to append values to tags - I had looked for that before I posted the original command - it is less than ideal. Maybe someone else knows how to do it.

(You could, of course, write a script rather than just use vanilla ExifTool)

You probably need two commands to change the Comment to either FilmMode or Saturation:

exiftool -if '$FilmMode' -overwrite_original "-Comment<FilmMode" *.JPG

exiftool -if 'not $FilmMode' -overwrite_original "-Comment<Saturation" *.JPG

two caveats:

- I haven't tested all possible combinations

- you may need to switch the single and double quotes depending on your operating system and shell

Probably just stick with the Fuji provided SW.

You guys had some good ideas, and I did mess around with EXIFtool and a couple more viewers tonight.  But I think I'm going to just cut my (time) losses and use the "SilkyPix RAW FILE CONVERTER 2.0"  software Fujifilm provides when I need to compare film simulations.   If you tweak the display settings so that you have the thumbnails on one side, and dock the tools and EXIF pane in the other side, it's a workable viewer (other than taking 3 seconds to switch to the next image).  It does have high quality image display with color management.

Exit10 wrote:

Camnu wrote:

bowportes wrote:

You need the EXIF plugin (which I think only works with the 32bit version of Irfanview) - then, when the image is displayed you press "I" and click on "EXIF Info".

I am able to display EXIF with no problem within the 64bit version.  Open an image and then just press "i" then "e".

Film mode, however, only shows up sometimes.  Irfanview seems to be trying to display that one but hasn't quite mastered it.  Except for Film Mode, however, the EXIF display is quick and exceeds what most programs give you.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more

bowportes wrote:

Exit10 wrote:

Camnu wrote:

bowportes wrote:

I am able to display EXIF with no problem within the 64bit version. Open an image and then just press "i" then "e".

Film mode, however, only shows up sometimes. Irfanview seems to be trying to display that one but hasn't quite mastered it. Except for Film Mode, however, the EXIF display is quick and exceeds what most programs give you.

Thanks for the info - my 64 bit version gives me an error when I try and display EXIF - I'll download the latest update.

Are you sure its not Acros / B&W or Sepia where Film Mode is not displaying?

It appears to only display Provia.  I know Velvia doesn't display.

Pretty strange.  In Irfanview thumbnails you can supply the number of the Decimal Tag you show on mouseover, but when I supply the Film Mode number, nothing shows up. Except for that, Irfanview has great EXIF display capacities, better than everything else except EXIFTOOL and Fuji's own Raw File COnverter.

bowportes wrote:

It appears to only display Provia. I know Velvia doesn't display.

Pretty strange. In Irfanview thumbnails you can supply the number of the Decimal Tag you show on mouseover, but when I supply the Film Mode number, nothing shows up. Except for that, Irfanview has great EXIF display capacities, better than everything else except EXIFTOOL and Fuji's own Raw File COnverter.

FWIW I have submitted a bug report for IrfanView - I'll post back here if there are any updates should anyone be interested.

Exit10 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

It appears to only display Provia. I know Velvia doesn't display.

Pretty strange. In Irfanview thumbnails you can supply the number of the Decimal Tag you show on mouseover, but when I supply the Film Mode number, nothing shows up. Except for that, Irfanview has great EXIF display capacities, better than everything else except EXIFTOOL and Fuji's own Raw File COnverter.

FWIW I have submitted a bug report for IrfanView - I'll post back here if there are any updates should anyone be interested.

My IrfanView bug report got the following response "The lack of support for undocumented proprietary data should not be regarded a bug." so its tough to recommend Irfanview if you need complete, consistent and reliable Fuji specific EXIF data.

It was suggested that a request for enhancement could be submitted to Irfan Škiljan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads