Lens Error. Will Shut Down Automatically. Restart Camera

Started Jul 27, 2017 | Discussions
garywc
garywc Senior Member • Posts: 1,018
Lens Error. Will Shut Down Automatically. Restart Camera

My Canon Powershot G16 has started displaying that message on the LCD screen and the lens doesn't extend.  After I turn the camera on and off a couple of times, the lens extends and the camera works correctly.  Later, when I turn the camera on again, the lens doesn't extend and the message is displayed.

What is happening and how can I resolve this problem?

garywc's gear list:garywc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16
DUTCH van Atlanta Senior Member • Posts: 1,699
Re: Lens Error. Will Shut Down Automatically. Restart Camera

garywc wrote:

My Canon Powershot G16 has started displaying that message on the LCD screen and the lens doesn't extend. After I turn the camera on and off a couple of times, the lens extends and the camera works correctly. Later, when I turn the camera on again, the lens doesn't extend and the message is displayed.

Either send it to Canon for repair, or buy a replacement.

DUTCH van Atlanta's gear list:DUTCH van Atlanta's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra +2 more
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 6,531

garywc wrote:

Your camera is suffering from the well-known and dreaded Lens Error, which is sometimes a mechanical problem in the lens deployment gear set, or an electrical problem, (a failing lens deploy motor or ribbon cable connector.)

In either case,  as Dutch stated, if you want to keep the camera, send it to Canon for repair.

There are many youtube videos on how to attempt a repair at home, but the chances of success are slim....

Ask me how I know....!!!😐😐

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
garywc
OP garywc Senior Member • Posts: 1,018

Chaplain Mark wrote:

garywc wrote:

Your camera is suffering from the well-known and dreaded Lens Error, which is sometimes a mechanical problem in the lens deployment gear set, or an electrical problem, (a failing lens deploy motor or ribbon cable connector.)

In either case, as Dutch stated, if you want to keep the camera, send it to Canon for repair.

There are many youtube videos on how to attempt a repair at home, but the chances of success are slim....

Before sending my camera back to Canon for repair (at $189+) or junking my camera and buying another one (for $500+), why wouldn't it be better to try to blow out any dust, sand, grit from the lens?

garywc's gear list:garywc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 6,531

garywc wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

garywc wrote:

In either case, as Dutch stated, if you want to keep the camera, send it to Canon for repair.

Before sending my camera back to Canon for repair (at $189+) or junking my camera and buying another one (for $500+), why wouldn't it be better to try to blow out any dust, sand, grit from the lens?

Certainly you can try that, (as I did) but probably that will not resolve the failure, because the actual issue in the camera is not dust, grit or sand.

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,768

garywc wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

garywc wrote:

If you have a good way to do that, go for it.   Usually lens errors are mechanical, though.   Like a damaged gear or motor.    The most common culprit is powering on the camera while it is in a pocket or bag which prevents the lens from extending.   And of course dropping the camera with the lens extended is very bad.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads