What Tripod Would You Recommend For Sony A7r ii?

Started Jul 22, 2017 | Discussions
Sabeast Regular Member • Posts: 157
What Tripod Would You Recommend For Sony A7r ii?

Just Got Myself A Sony A7Rii & Sony 24-70 GM 2.8 Lens. What Tripod Would You Recommend? What About Flash? Lens Filter? Anything Else I Should Get?

Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 35,013
Re: What Tripod Would You Recommend For Sony A7r ii?

Sabeast wrote:

Just Got Myself A Sony A7Rii & Sony 24-70 GM 2.8 Lens. What Tripod Would You Recommend? What About Flash? Lens Filter? Anything Else I Should Get?

The size of the tripod is up to you. Bigger is generally better, but heavier and more expensive. Carbon fiber is the preferred material, but more expensive. My favorite tripod brand is Really Right Stuff. Gitzo is also good. Induro is a little cheaper.

Conventional wisdom is to get a ball head. RRS, Arca Swiss, and many other manufacturers make ball heads. I prefer geared heads like the Arca Swiss C1 Cube, but they are very expensive, and not as bulletproof as ball heads.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 2,801

JimKasson wrote:

Sabeast wrote:

The size of the tripod is up to you. Bigger is generally better, but heavier and more expensive. Carbon fiber is the preferred material, but more expensive. My favorite tripod brand is Really Right Stuff. Gitzo is also good. Induro is a little cheaper.

Conventional wisdom is to get a ball head. RRS, Arca Swiss, and many other manufacturers make ball heads. I prefer geared heads like the Arca Swiss C1 Cube, but they are very expensive, and not as bulletproof as ball heads.

Jim

I tried and have quite a few and IMO you need more than one. I have a light Oben folding really sweet little CT3561 with a Oven ball head I keep in my car or sometimes take hiking just in case. It works but I recommend a SLoc hook to attach a camera bag or soft weight pouch for larger lenses or anything critical but it works as is too.

On the other end of the spectrum I use a Manfrotto Carbon MT057 with a Arca Swiss ball head and outdoors will hang a 10lbs soft weight pouch at times for stability. If the shot is not perfectly stable it is not going to be optimum. The legs are large and cumbersome but it only weighs about 6lbs with the head which is remarkable for how stable and useful it is.

The I have an in-betweener with a video head for panning at auto races and other and a 3-way tilt quality head.

I have owned ten or more tripods so I have weeded them out you might say.

Whatever way a person goes the Arca Swiss ball head is awfully nice.

-- hide signature --

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony a1 Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +18 more
nofumble Senior Member • Posts: 2,180

Don't buy a tripod until you know what you are shooting.  If you can't resist, a $100 Dolica 3 pounder carbon fiber is a safe bet.

Flash - try Godox Wireless trigger and their line of flash, from handheld to big gun.

OP Sabeast Regular Member • Posts: 157

i mostly want a tripod to do runway type videos of myself & street fashion photography of myself.

ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,083

Sabeast wrote:

i mostly want a tripod to do runway type videos of myself & street fashion photography of myself.

It looks like all you need is a selfie stick

A7R2 may be not the best camera for what you want. I think that A7SII may work better for runway videos.

Are you going to have a second person taking a video or a photo while you are in the frame? Then you may opt for a video-oriented tripod and a fluid pan head.

ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II

i already bought the a7r II lol....I may at times have someone on the other end of the camera.  When i saw runway style it will be outdoors. Street fashion kind of. Im a fashion designer so ill be doing some videos/photos of myself with my products. Im also doing product photography with the camera.

BlackRockArt
BlackRockArt Senior Member • Posts: 1,266
Gitzo Carbon Fiber Series

I have gone through a dozen brands, alumn & CF.  the only brand I recommend is Gitzo for consistent built quality.

-- hide signature --
 BlackRockArt's gear list:BlackRockArt's gear list
Nikon D5 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 Nikon D3500 +2 more
WestO Regular Member • Posts: 205

FEISOL CT-3442 Tournament Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod.  Exceptional bang for buck tripod.

-- hide signature --
 WestO's gear list:WestO's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +3 more
BBernard Forum Member • Posts: 94

WestO wrote:

FEISOL CT-3442 Tournament Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod. Exceptional bang for buck tripod.

I second this... I've used this for a couple years after giving up on cheap $100-$200 aluminum tripods.  It's been excellent and a great value!

I paired mine with an Acratech GP-S ball head and love the fact that it basically can't be hurt by water, snow, dirt, freezing etc.... it does have a little drift with heavy lenses but has 2 unique features: 1) panoramic self leveling configuration that I use all the time, and 2) an awesome Gimbal function that I never used until I need to work with a Tamron 150-600mm lens, and I found it worked very very nicely (though officially they say only up to 400mm)...

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,918

I bought Oben CT-3561 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with BE-117T Ball Head on this deal. I am quite happy with it. It works great.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59317417

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +16 more
slstr Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

For video you might want a tripod head that allows for easy fluid pan/tilt during takes.

slstr's gear list:slstr's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +11 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,484

Sabeast wrote:

Next to my Manfrotto, I'm looking for an extra tripod for my A7RII. It will probably be one of the FLM tripods (with FLM or Arcaswiss head).

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +9 more

They are deff expensive wow lol......I plan on buying one this week. To summarize Iā€™d be using the tripod to take fashion photos of myself, models, product photography, and video at times. I wonder if tripods have a feature  with gimbals.

LesPickstock Contributing Member • Posts: 507

Sabeast wrote:

Recognise that the higher the resolution, the easier for camera shake etc to show. So you need a VERY solid (usually heavy) tripod to minimise, without a central column, but with a hook underneath the head to hang a weight from (usually camera bag.... but a bucket of water is best, if totally impractical!). Also, when using the tripod use a remote - the slightest finger flutter will show.

Weight can be mitigated by getting a carbon tripod.... but raises cost considerably. Do not even think of 'going cheap' as you will be lucky to preserve the reduction in shake via a flimsy 'cheapie'.

The head (and other accessories) should be dictated by your 'style' - e.g. A geared head (big, solid, expensive) slows you down and supports image pre-planning, visualisation and accuracy. A ball-head is rather more flexible. Whatever you consider, I'd recommend 'solid' Arca-Swiss-type QR plates/clamps.

Flash? Do you want on-camera, off-camera, studio-style, HSS, TTL, outdoor, indoor.....? I'd gain more experience using your camera before deciding which is your required/preferred flash route.

Hope some help

-- hide signature --

LesP

Denis of Whidbey Island
Denis of Whidbey Island Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

JimKasson wrote:

Sabeast wrote:

Jim

I agree largely with Jim, but settled on the largest Benro CF tripod for the ability to get different angles. Can't go wrong with a ball head by RRS (the BH55) or Acratech.

If you've never read any of Thom Hogan's discussions of tripods, here's a recent one to consider: http://www.sansmirror.com/articles/how-much-tripod-do-you-need.html

Having owned/used a wide variety of tripods over the  years ā€” some pretty obscure: the Leitz Tiltall, Ries (wood), Dutch Hill ā€” I beg you to not cheap out. You won't be happy long and will end up spending more when you upgrade.

Denis

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II YI M1 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 35,013
Center columns

LesPickstock wrote:

Sabeast wrote:

Recognise that the higher the resolution, the easier for camera shake etc to show. So you need a VERY solid (usually heavy) tripod to minimise, without a central column, but with a hook underneath the head to hang a weight from (usually camera bag.... but a bucket of water is best, if totally impractical!). Also, when using the tripod use a remote - the slightest finger flutter will show.

It is conventional wisdom that center columns are bad, even if collapsed, but my testing had not borne that out using EFCS or silent shutter, although things are different with all-mechanical shutters and flapping mirrors. In situations where there is no wind and focal lengths aren't too long, extending the column is OK, too. YMMV, though. Testing is a good thing to do.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Jonathan117 Regular Member • Posts: 114

I use a really right stuff TVC -24L with a BH 40 ball head.  So far this feels like the right weight for traveling.  This version is tall and sturdy enough but can also get super low to the ground.

It does not fit well in carry-on bags which is the only downside I can see from my usage.

Really Right stuff is normally out of stock but B&H normally has them in stock.

Jonathan117's gear list:Jonathan117's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +5 more
trainerKEN Senior Member • Posts: 1,498
3 sections

you're going to get a bunch of recommendations, but the ONE thing I always try to do is to avoid tripods with more than 3 sections... 4 is pushing it...

just  my .02

trainerKEN's gear list:trainerKEN's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 II Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +9 more
BBernard Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: 3 sections

trainerKEN wrote:

you're going to get a bunch of recommendations, but the ONE thing I always try to do is to avoid tripods with more than 3 sections... 4 is pushing it...

just my .02

This is good advice... but another important factor is the diameter of the smallest segment. IF the diameter of the smallest (e.g. the 4'th) segment is larger than the 2'nd/3'rd segment of another 3 legged tripod, it will likely be just as stable (all other things equal; such as brand/quality/material/etc.).

Fiesol makes a 3 segment (FEISOL CT-3342) and 4 segment, and I nearly went with the 3 segment for ultimate stability, but the trade-off is extra length when packed completely down, and loss of portability. So I went with the 4 segment (FEISOL CT-3442) becasue it's smallest segment was much larger than that of the MeFoto RoadTrip I was getting rid of.

Plus it's got a decent height (even without any center column), so anytime I need that max Stability and don't need the high perspective I just extend only 3 segments anhow -- I do this alot actually. So I really got the best of both worlds.

And it can def. pack into my carry on; most of the time I just have it strapped in it's bag to the side of my Camera backpack, and has always passed security for carry-on luggage on my flights.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads