My First Succesful Picture of Saturn

Started Jul 19, 2017 | Discussions
AstroBugs88 Junior Member • Posts: 43
My First Succesful Picture of Saturn

Tried to take this for fun, and ended up trying for an hour until I eventually got this particular image. I am sure it can look even better, but this was already difficult to take:

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,731
Re: My First Succesful Picture of Saturn

To me, it looks VERY impressive!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
ratfugel
ratfugel Contributing Member • Posts: 844

I have been trying to get this one too.  However, we are having an unusual  spell of very hot weather.

This is causing a heat haze ripple on everything up in the sky at the moment.  Been trying for overhead aircraft, but they all have it.  When things cool down I will certainly try again. Your picture is very encouraging and shows it can actually be got by our little handycam.

rat.

ratfugel's gear list:ratfugel's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 80D +1 more
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,706

AstroBugs88 wrote:

Tried to take this for fun, and ended up trying for an hour until I eventually got this particular image. I am sure it can look even better, but this was already difficult to take:

Wow, super impressive!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Photography is my hobby.
http://www.pbase.com/johnshenphotography

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon PowerShot SX70
ratfugel

Has anyone any idea why it should be so bright?

rat.

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,163

Yes, super impressive!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
OP AstroBugs88 Junior Member • Posts: 43

ratfugel wrote:

Has anyone any idea why it should be so bright?

rat.

I used PaintShop Pro to make the background darker (it was very grainy), and increased the contrast and brightness by a bit. Before those edits, the planet and its rings were a sligthly subdued yellow, like dried grass; but it was still pretty bright.

Augustin Man wrote:

To me, it looks VERY impressive!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Thank you. In more experienced hands, it can look even better!

jshen808 wrote:

AstroBugs88 wrote:

Wow, super impressive!

Thanks. A lot of it was luck. I don't know how long it would take me to capture it again. But, I bet someone more experienced could get even cleaner shots.

ratfugel wrote:

I have been trying to get this one too. However, we are having an unusual spell of very hot weather.

This is causing a heat haze ripple on everything up in the sky at the moment. Been trying for overhead aircraft, but they all have it. When things cool down I will certainly try again. Your picture is very encouraging and shows it can actually be got by our little handycam.

rat.

I am in USA Missouri, and its been super hot here. You think the picture would look better in cooler temepratures?

KJaay wrote:

Yes, super impressive!

Thank you. I got lucky. Took over 50 photos, and only this one was even remotely usable.

ratfugel

I think if I try again say in Autumn  (Fall to you !!) I might lower any haze I am getting.

(Haze removal tools such as  in Affiniti don't do it, by the way).

When I asked about brightness, I was meaning the actual planet itself.  It looks as though it is being illuminated by something out there to get such brightness.  When NASA shows close-up images they are much darker and more realistic.

Could be that we actually lack the capability to focus it really sharply.

Puzzling.

Perhaps if I am lucky and get an image I will be able to experiment on getting it to look more like what we are used to seeing.

In other words,. I will hammer it  to death in Photoshop. Ho, ho. ho!

Incidentally I have a friend with a whacking big telescope, I will see if he has recorded a Saturn image.  If he has I'll borrow a copy for us.

rat.

ratfugel

Further to my last post, have now contacted friend with big telescope.  He hasn't saved any shots of Saturn, but what he did say, was that because it's so bright he put dark grey filters on the lens to calm things down a bit and then he could see the rings properly, just like NASA.  He also made the comment that since everything is on the move out there, some sort of tracking device would be of considerable help in getting a clear shot. Also the faster the speed the more likely to get a decent shot.

rat.

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,731

ratfugel wrote:

Further to my last post, have now contacted friend with big telescope. He hasn't saved any shots of Saturn, but what he did say, was that because it's so bright he put dark grey filters on the lens to calm things down a bit and then he could see the rings properly, just like NASA. He also made the comment that since everything is on the move out there, some sort of tracking device would be of considerable help in getting a clear shot. Also the faster the speed the more likely to get a decent shot.

rat.

Probably that thread can help anyone audacious enough to try Saturn with P900:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58060665

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
Notthecase New Member • Posts: 11

ratfugel wrote:

.... because it's so bright he put dark grey filters on the lens to calm things down a bit and then he could see the rings properly, just like NASA. ... the faster the speed the more likely to get a decent shot.

rat.

Does not sound like a very good astronomer. Putting ND filters, and then fighting for more speed.

You don't need ND filters. It's not all that bright. Use the lowest ISO possible at which you can get it not smudged due to the sky rotation. At that ISO just decrease the exposure step-by-step until you get it exposed correctly (somewhere in the middle of the tonal curve, so that you see details both in the planet disc and in the rings).

Notthecase's gear list:Notthecase's gear list
Samsung WB150F Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony a7R II Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads