How many people still use the Pentax K10D?

Started Jul 15, 2017 | Discussions
Ursinho73 Regular Member • Posts: 433
Just got myself a new Pentax

Another K10D that is. I still use it regularly as my only DSLR (next to a small mirrorless). Recently I was asked by friends to shoot a baptism and two marriages within a time span of less than four weeks. So I bought a second K10D just in case as my other body is now roughly ten years old. Both worked flawlessly - and not just in bright sunlight. You just need to do what was always necessary with those cameras: shoot in RAW and use the best RAW software around. Here are a few samples (first ISO 100 in bright daylight):

And the K10D works just as well inside at ISO 280:

But what about people, party and some atmo at ISO 800?

And finally a late night beauty and some breakdancers at ISO 1600:

Sorry for so many pics. They were just meant to show that the old workhorse K10D is still going strong, at least when used with some up-to-date Raw converter (DxO with its PRIME noise reduction in this case).  All I'm still longing for is an autofocus with high speed, pin-point accuracy and face detection/eye focus - but that's something no Pentax can deliver.

Regards,

Hannes

John Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 929
Re: mine is the K110d

Yes, it was my first digital slr. Still have it along with the std kit zoom and Sigma 70-300, I think. It hasn't see much action since the Canon 80d showed up, but when I got the Pentax a decade ago, man we're those some great pics!!!!

icexe Contributing Member • Posts: 753
Re: How many people still use the Pentax K10D?

Mine is sitting on a shelf, I haven't touched it in many years.

-- hide signature --

Before you can start taking good photographs, you must first learn how to recognize bad photographs.

icexe's gear list:icexe's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Pentax K-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
Rudi Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
I still love my Pentax K10D...

Still take it out sometimes.

Rudi.

iTrax
iTrax Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Re: I still love my Pentax K10D...

I take my K10 for walk from time to time, usually with Tamron 17-50 2.8.

It is still enjoyable kit.

iTrax's gear list:iTrax's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K10D Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +64 more
Francis E Senior Member • Posts: 2,017

iTrax wrote:

I take my K10 for walk from time to time, usually with Tamron 17-50 2.8

It makes me wonder why upgrade, when many posters are still using and enjoying K10D!

Francis E's gear list:Francis E's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Samsung TL500 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
gen126 Junior Member • Posts: 37

It has nothing to do with need.

Rudi Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

...I don´t upgrade, it´s good enough for my needs
Rudi.

icexe Contributing Member • Posts: 753

Francis E wrote:

It makes me wonder why upgrade, when many posters are still using and enjoying K10D!

Image quality became more than "good enough" years ago, especially since the majority of images are destined for screen viewing.

-- hide signature --

Before you can start taking good photographs, you must first learn how to recognize bad photographs.

icexe's gear list:icexe's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Pentax K-5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
Francis E Senior Member • Posts: 2,017

icexe wrote:

Image quality became more than "good enough" years ago, especially since the majority of images are destined for screen viewing.

Except in the case of low light.

Francis E's gear list:Francis E's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Samsung TL500 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,404

pseudobreccia wrote:

Just curious as to how many of you still use the Pentax K10D...it is still a fine camera!

I used it until 2013, but now it's only an emergency backup, and no emergency has ever arisen.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
neruda New Member • Posts: 2

Gave it to my son a year ago as his first SLR, he is using it regularly.

orlandomfn New Member • Posts: 1

Well, I got one k10d body last month. It is almost new from a guy that had stored it in his closet for many years. Shutter count says only 4000 clicks! Gave it for a tech for a cleaning job, bought the 18-55 kit lenses and now I am enjoying the camera. I loved it.

As mentioned by someone, it´s only serious limitation is that it doesn't make good pictures at night or in the dusk. It definitely needs light.

jonby Regular Member • Posts: 118

I still use my K10D when I don't have another camera available (I can borrow kit from where I work). It's the only digital camera I have ever owned, after many years of working on film. I did a load of serious work with it but now I can borrow modern Canon cameras (5DS R) and lenses (various), so I don't use it too much.

I still prefer the ergonomics and general usability of the Pentax, but the high resolution sensor and lenses I have available with the Canon trump these benefits.

Apart from the resolution and lenses, the only real benefit of the Canon for my work is magnified manual focus in live view - the ability to confirm accurate focus before shooting is very helpful.

The standout feature of the Pentax for my work, which I'm not sure that cameras from any other brand have, is the hyper-manual feature - press a button and the shutter speed jumps to 'normal' exposure, from which you can then adjust. So much quicker than scrolling through a bunch of exposure values to get it close. Also the exposure lock in manual mode, which allows you to shift your exposure pair whilst keeping exposure the same. I have no idea why Canon et al haven't stolen this feature.

PC UK Forum Member • Posts: 67

orlandomfn wrote:

As mentioned by someone, it´s only serious limitation is that it doesn't make good pictures at night or in the dusk. It definitely needs light.

I would love to know

Is that.....

• a problem an inherent function of noise - such that dark areas are always full of false signalling pixels whatever the sensor setting
  • or is it just no good at 1600asa - in which case using low sensor iso and a tripod will fix it - just as we used to use in the days of Kodak 200asa

I have a pile of PK lenses - and with prices for a K10D where they are now, it gets tempting just to bid for a weathersealed Pentax body with a proper pentaprism to try them out on.

Thanks for your thoubghts - Paul C

paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,404

PC UK wrote:

orlandomfn wrote:

I would love to know

Is that.....

• a problem an inherent function of noise - such that dark areas are always full of false signalling pixels whatever the sensor setting
  • or is it just no good at 1600asa - in which case using low sensor iso and a tripod will fix it - just as we used to use in the days of Kodak 200asa

Yes, low ISO fixes it.  The sensor isn't up to modern standards for higher ISOs.  The K-5 was about the first model with decent modern ISO performance.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,832

paulkienitz wrote:

PC UK wrote:

orlandomfn wrote:

I would love to know

Is that.....

Yes, low ISO fixes it. The sensor isn't up to modern standards for higher ISOs.

+1

I had, still have and still use a Pentax K100d.

Cameras of that era IMHO beg for light.

Here's a shot of my daughter with the light of a candle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/3398134947/

Back then, I was happy with that. But, yes, @ ISO3200 in low light, there is definitely a lot of noise. LOL.

In order to get better IQ images, I started to learn how to use external flash.

If you can get the old CCD sensor enough light, they just sing IMHO!

Here's a shot from my Pentax K100d, but I used external flash to get more light to the CCD sensor. Lots of fine detail in there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/2995413090/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/3124399571/

If you can decide when you want to take pictures, and only take pictures in lots of light, these old CCD sensor cameras will still go the distance IMHO.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/4841445772/

But if you want to shoot in low light, then the newer CMOS sensors will take you further IMHO.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/6543290555/

The K-5 was about the first model with decent modern ISO performance.

+1

K-5 would be a great place to start.

But . . . OP, if you want to get in cheap, don't shy away from the K10d.

If you aren't forced when you need to get a shot, the K10d (IMHO) can still bang out a great picture.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Barcud Regular Member • Posts: 143

With Autumn here in the UK I've been out with my K10 taking garden pics. It has a 75-150 fitted constantly and I find this really useful for garden and flower photos. Also a brilliant lens for walkabouts. Can't think of a reason not to get it out every now and again, it still takes photos.

amicah22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,300

A couple of times a year at most. The files do do well in acr.

-- hide signature --

Aaron W.

amicah22's gear list:amicah22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pentax Optio A30 Pentax Optio S5i Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot S95 +17 more
Pentax645 Contributing Member • Posts: 512

paulkienitz wrote:

PC UK wrote:

orlandomfn wrote:

I would love to know

Is that.....

Yes, low ISO fixes it. The sensor isn't up to modern standards for higher ISOs. The K-5 was about the first model with decent modern ISO performance.

Yes. With SR and mostly WA lenses I didn't often feel deprived by having to operate at 100 iso. The images I took with the 10D still hold up well......not as much detail or DR as a K1, but a fine, clean colorful look.

Pentax645's gear list:Pentax645's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads