How many people still use the Pentax K10D?

Started Jul 15, 2017 | Discussions
pseudobreccia
pseudobreccia Contributing Member • Posts: 805
How many people still use the Pentax K10D?

Just curious as to how many of you still use the Pentax K10D...it is still a fine camera!

-- hide signature --

Steve A. Kleinheider

pseudobreccia's gear list:pseudobreccia's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Pentax K-1 II +7 more
Pentax K10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dante Birchen
Dante Birchen Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: How many people still use the Pentax K10D?

Its sitting on a shelf. I sometimes use it to shoot a pic of my K-5 with this or that lens on it or just a pic of the cat. On low ISO it is okay as long as you don't need much DR. It still works great too.

ronniemac Regular Member • Posts: 442

pseudobreccia wrote:

Just curious as to how many of you still use the Pentax K10D...it is still a fine camera!

Keep mine at work with DA17-70 attached so I'm seldom without a Pentax to hand.

ronniemac's gear list:ronniemac's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX200 Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Wallace Ross
Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,174

I have mine but rarely use it.  Not because there is anything wrong with its images but the K-3 just makes it obsolete.  In fact under good light the Pentax Q7 gives similar results.

-- hide signature --
Francis E Senior Member • Posts: 2,017

pseudobreccia wrote:

I had mine out yesterday. I hadn't used it for a while because when I shoot Pentax I use my K5. I'm not in favour of constant upgrades, but in 10 years there have been a lot of improvements in technology. There's another thread here about the KP. I don't think this is a similar advance on the K5.

Francis E's gear list:Francis E's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Samsung TL500 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202
Indefatigable!

Well Ok not the Pentax K10, but the Samsung GX10, the same as the K10 but from Samsung when the two companies were linked.

I used the GX10 for a couple of years before getting the  K20, one day I found the GX10's rear LCD screen wouldn't display, it was out of guarantee. Then bingo, I found another GX10 with a broken shutter for 50 euros inc. charger and battery, I spoke to my Pentax friend and he kindly said to send it in and it came back working fine, then little used, I sold it to a friend.

At the end of the winter, his pipes froze and the GX10 and his K01 got completely flooded, drowned they remained under water for two days, he dried them out in an airing cupboard for a week at 60° C, both having a few silico-gel packets poked in the bayonet mouths.

To my (our) surprise both bodies came back to life working perfectly, drowned lenses and all, the only sign being that the lenses had a few water marks............

.......so far these two cameras seem indefatigable

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
Re: Indefatigable!

DAVID MANZE wrote:

To my (our) surprise both bodies came back to life working perfectly, drowned lenses and all, the only sign being that the lenses had a few water marks............

Well, I've never had an experience like that!

I took a lot of pictures with my K10. Its main drawback was low light performance, but I also take wildflower close ups, where the lack of LV is a problem. This also applies to the K5, with its fixed LV screen.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Samsung TL500 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,567

I have one set to debug mode, but thats not exactly using it

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Well Ok not the Pentax K10, but the Samsung GX10, the same as the K10 but from Samsung when the two companies were linked.

I used the GX10 for a couple of years before getting the K20, one day I found the GX10's rear LCD screen wouldn't display, it was out of guarantee. Then bingo, I found another GX10 with a broken shutter for 50 euros inc. charger and battery, I spoke to my Pentax friend and he kindly said to send it in and it came back working fine, then little used, I sold it to a friend.

At the end of the winter, his pipes froze and the GX10 and his K01 got completely flooded, drowned they remained under water for two days, he dried them out in an airing cupboard for a week at 60° C, both having a few silico-gel packets poked in the bayonet mouths.

Wow...

Because of how long I have seen you and your pics I fully believe you (pics add a he is real, for me). I can't understand how they withstood that unless it was DA* lens, not deep under water, and lots of luck.  All I can say is this is one I will not test.

Thanks for the story!

BTW that was my first dSLR (GX10). Those are still my favorite bodies K10D, K20D. For some reason I just love the feel in my hand. And quick ergonomics (for me).

I don't have the K10D. But still have and use a K20D. FWIW. And I would not cry if all I had was a K10D or K20D.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
waynelr
waynelr Regular Member • Posts: 415

Rarely, but its still very viable for outdoor stuff. K1 is my workhorse now.

-- hide signature --

Wayne's World of Graphics & Barbershop
http://waynelr.smugmug.com/

waynelr's gear list:waynelr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +6 more
Soundtweaker
Soundtweaker Junior Member • Posts: 25

I still have mine but the flash or something with the shutter broke on it. I remember looking it up and finding out it was a common problem. Not to hijack the thread but what would be a good upgrade for a new or used body under $1500? I'd like to stay with Pentax if possible since I have 5 K-Mount lenses. Thanks.

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474

Occasionally use mine. It's massively outgunned by the newer cameras now of course (challenged even by my phone). But, still, something unique and nice about the rendering of the CCD sensor at low ISOs ...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,202

jamesm007 wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

I used the GX10 for a couple of years before getting the K20, one day I found the GX10's rear LCD screen wouldn't display, it was out of guarantee. Then bingo, I found another GX10 with a broken shutter for 50 euros inc. charger and battery, I spoke to my Pentax friend and he kindly said to send it in and it came back working fine, then little used, I sold it to a friend.

Wow...

Because of how long I have seen you and your pics I fully believe you (pics add a he is real, for me). I can't understand how they withstood that unless it was DA* lens, not deep under water, and lots of luck. All I can say is this is one I will not test.

These three lenses, the 18-55 kit and the 50-200mm plus the Tamron 70-300mm LD, are all screw-drive lenses, so no internal motors, they were like everything else, underwater in the camera bag with the two cameras for two days. What surprised me was that both cameras had batteries, I think what helped is that the water was pure tap water, so no acids or impurities to act as a electrolite, when they dried it leaves no residues on the circuit boards.

Thanks for the story!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
philzucker
philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 8,900

I actually got a used one in fond memories of its low ISO capabilities and good color rendering. Haven't used it much since then, but the few times I have it delivered very good daylight results.

Phil

-- hide signature --
AlainCo Regular Member • Posts: 191

Concur. My K10D GP is still going strong, even in the rain.

Cheers

AlainCo

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

AlainCo's gear list:AlainCo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 +14 more
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

I had fond memories of my K200d, so i bought a cheap K10d for $100.  I could not believe how loud the shudder was, but i love the tether option.  I am a big fan of the CCD sensor at iso 100-400 in good light.  I ended up swapping it for a Sony A100 which is not the same level of build quality but i just adore the minolta 70-210mm F4 lens.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D750
Sigma DP2 quattro

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm
brew1brew Senior Member • Posts: 2,067

I have a K10D and an *ist-D sitting on a shelf. If someone made me an offer I probably would sell them both.

-- hide signature --

Les
anthisphoto.smugmug.com

brew1brew's gear list:brew1brew's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T2

brew1brew wrote:

I have a K10D and an *ist-D sitting on a shelf. If someone made me an offer I probably would sell them both.

I have both as well. I've thought of selling them, but they wouldn't be worth much.

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

Buttons252 wrote:

I had fond memories of my K200d, so i bought a cheap K10d for $100. I could not believe how loud the shudder was, but i love the tether option. I am a big fan of the CCD sensor at iso 100-400 in good light. I ended up swapping it for a Sony A100 which is not the same level of build quality but i just adore the minolta 70-210mm F4 lens.

When I went to touch and hold my first dSLRs, it was between the Sony A100, Pentax K10D and Oly E-5. I think you can appreciate why I was impressed with the K10D when holding them. The Pentax felt like a dSLR I thought should feel. Plus WR... I went thinking I was going to get the A100. Articles, reviews, are subjective/objective but still can't give each user an idea of what their personal experience will be like.

My K20D is a keeper. Tether shooting, good pictures. Resolution is basically equal to the K-5. But the K-5 has a very low noise floor for great shadows, high DR and high ISO.

For the going price I will keep the K20d as a backup.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
Kleon New Member • Posts: 1
-- hide signature --

Leoni Fabio
Parma
Italia

K 10 was my first digital Pentax, before I had the MX and the LX, i was very fond of it since I loaned to my daaughter for a jorney, it never come back..., so I passed to the K 20 and what i can say is that K10 at 100 iso, good light was superior, over the cmos took advance on it.

I'm still whit the K 20 that is quite enough for mine purposes; I'll be glad to control the true differences between the last Pentax, but I never succeed.

I'm sure that in good light there'll wont be so a large difference!

Regards

Kleon's gear list:Kleon's gear list
Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads