Is there anyone out there actually using Batis 135?

Started Jul 11, 2017 | Discussions
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,364
Re: Is there anyone out there actually using Batis 135?

biza43 wrote:

Luis Gabriel Photography wrote:

Not all of us value size over other aspects and when it comes to IQ the Sigma is a stunning lens, not to mention the amazing blur from the 1.8 aperture and razor sharp performance wide open across the frame. So "mirrorless friendly" is not really an accurate term as it just depends on our own preferences and requirements.

Ok, how about if Zeiss chose to make the Batis f1.8 or f2, at about 1,200 kg and EUR 2,600? Mirrorless friendly means a compromise between size, weight, and balance on a smaller camera. For those wanting a Zeiss 135 f2, there is the Milvus. Indeed, my preference is for a lighter lens that I can carry around all day without a spinal injury:) The difference between f2.8 and f2 is irrelevant to me. But I accept it is important to others, of course.

If I wanted to carry a heavy lens, I would go for the GM 70-200.

Again "mirrorless friendly" has no meaning because is a term determined by your personal needs. So your needs are a lens that has a balance between size, weight and your camera. Great but that does not mean this is a "thing". For me, mirrorless friendly would be a lens that performs as it should when mounted on a mirrorless camera, ie wide lenses with sharp edges, etc. Size does not factor in nor weight for MY personal preferences, only IQ.
So not sure why this is even a discussion, you have your preferences, I have mine and others may have different ones...all about choices.
Regards

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +5 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,730

biza43 wrote:

Not all of us value size over other aspects and when it comes to IQ the Sigma is a stunning lens, not to mention the amazing blur from the 1.8 aperture and razor sharp performance wide open across the frame. So "mirrorless friendly" is not really an accurate term as it just depends on our own preferences and requirements.

Ok, how about if Zeiss chose to make the Batis f1.8 or f2, at about 1,200 kg and EUR 2,600? Mirrorless friendly means a compromise between size, weight, and balance on a smaller camera. For those wanting a Zeiss 135 f2, there is the Milvus. Indeed, my preference is for a lighter lens that I can carry around all day without a spinal injury:) The difference between f2.8 and f2 is irrelevant to me. But I accept it is important to others, of course.

Again "mirrorless friendly" has no meaning because is a term determined by your personal needs. So your needs are a lens that has a balance between size, weight and your camera. Great but that does not mean this is a "thing". For me, mirrorless friendly would be a lens that performs as it should when mounted on a mirrorless camera, ie wide lenses with sharp edges, etc. Size does not factor in nor weight for MY personal preferences, only IQ.
So not sure why this is even a discussion, you have your preferences, I have mine and others may have different ones...all about choices.
Regards

Exactly !! but it's good to have options for all users, i think we will get there once the rumor 135 GM with F1.8 or F2 comes out, or even better if they do the same thing to their 85, you have a cheap 85 F1.8 for those value size and weight more, you have a Batis 85 for those find it better balance between size, weight and IQ & built quality, and you have a 85GM for those ( myself included) careless about size and weight at all but only want the best optic.

With that said I will for sure jump in the rumored 135 GM F1.8/F2 if it has better optic performance than any of those 135mm I have. based on the trend and how GM lenses performs, I think the chances are very high, I just need to start saving my $$$$, it won't be a cheap lens. and I won't need more exercise as I am already carrying multiple 1D bodies, LOL.

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,438

biza43 wrote:

Regards

Ok, so I can add: the Batis 135 performs as it should when mounted on a mirrorless camera (why only wide lenses with sharp edges???), has stunning IQ, and great out of focus rendition. Using a lens that balances well on the camera where it is mounted it is very important.

Perhaps the meaning of "mirroless friendly" is better explained by Zeiss themselves:

“The advantage of Sony’s mirrorless full-frame system is that despite its compact size, it delivers exceptional image quality,” said Pollmann. It was important to build a comparably handy lens – in spite of the rather long focal length. We made a conscious decision to strike a balance between compactness, weight and speed. With an iris of f/2.8, the weight could be kept light and the measurements compact, without compromising on image quality. All this creates good balance on the camera and allows for pleasant and concentrated working. The lens’s optical design guarantees maximum imaging quality, even when the aperture is wide-open. The ZEISS Batis lenses are also protected against dust and spray water. Poor weather conditions therefore pose no problem so that users can let their creativity run free without any worries, even during outdoor shoots."

There, I think it is clear now.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
kelly15 Contributing Member • Posts: 864

biza43 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Regards

Ok, so I can add: the Batis 135 performs as it should when mounted on a mirrorless camera (why only wide lenses with sharp edges???), has stunning IQ, and great out of focus rendition. Using a lens that balances well on the camera where it is mounted it is very important.

Perhaps the meaning of "mirroless friendly" is better explained by Zeiss themselves:

“The advantage of Sony’s mirrorless full-frame system is that despite its compact size, it delivers exceptional image quality,” said Pollmann. It was important to build a comparably handy lens – in spite of the rather long focal length. We made a conscious decision to strike a balance between compactness, weight and speed. With an iris of f/2.8, the weight could be kept light and the measurements compact, without compromising on image quality. All this creates good balance on the camera and allows for pleasant and concentrated working. The lens’s optical design guarantees maximum imaging quality, even when the aperture is wide-open. The ZEISS Batis lenses are also protected against dust and spray water. Poor weather conditions therefore pose no problem so that users can let their creativity run free without any worries, even during outdoor shoots."

There, I think it is clear now.

Many bought Sony because of compactness but most (I believe) because of the file quality.

If the logic of Zeiss is true if Sony enlarge their bodies, like they are doing a bit with A9, then they change completely the Batis range.

In no way I see Batis prices proportioned to their value. For sure they are grat lenses but just open to 1.8 or 2.8 consequently too expensive ( for sure in my opinion).

Unfortunately I do not see any Sony direct competition apart 85 1.8 FE which offers almost the same quality of Batis at half the price and 28 2.0 at one third.

kelly15's gear list:kelly15's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +7 more

kelly15 wrote:

Many bought Sony because of compactness but most (I believe) because of the file quality.

Indeed. That was my case, I could migrate from Canon EOS + Zeiss 21 Distagon to Sony A7 + Loxia 21 (or Tokina 20 these days).

If the logic of Zeiss is true if Sony enlarge their bodies, like they are doing a bit with A9, then they change completely the Batis range.

No they don't. There will always be small and large cameras; I have used my EOS 1 with f2.8 zoom, or with 50mm small lens. It is much more unbalanced to use a small camera with big lens, than large camera with small lens.

In no way I see Batis prices proportioned to their value. For sure they are grat lenses but just open to 1.8 or 2.8 consequently too expensive ( for sure in my opinion).

Fine.

Unfortunately I do not see any Sony direct competition apart 85 1.8 FE which offers almost the same quality of Batis at half the price and 28 2.0 at one third.

On the 85 I agree, I have used both, and the Sony is really good value. On the 28, well, the Batis is 25, and is really better.

Many here are waiting for a 135 f2 or f1.8, which is fine. Sony no doubt will release that; but it will be even more expensive.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 7,359
Re:For those in the UK...
OP oriomenoni Contributing Member • Posts: 556

Thank you Mike. It looks extremely good to me! And I don't see anything wrong in the bokeh (like some say).

now... if only it would cost a bit less... around 1500 would be ok

oriomenoni's gear list:oriomenoni's gear list
Sony a7R II
FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

kelly15 wrote:

biza43 wrote:

kelly15 wrote:

Mirrorless friendly or not the value os this lens is not 2000 euro IMHO.

Around 800/1000 euro it is acceptable as the only benefit compared to Sigma 135 is the reduction of weight.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But then you really need to check the price of Zeiss lenses from other ranges: ZM, Milvus, Batis, Loxia. We are talking about a lens that is practically optically perfect, from Zeiss, that features (true) APO, T* coating, OSS.

How one expects such a lens to be cheaper than the other Batis lenses is difficult to understand.

Not only the 135 is crazy expensive but in general all of Baitis range.

85 mm in twice the Sony and three times the more than decent Canon equivalents.

So for the 25 which is more expensive than 1.4 24's in the market.

But it is just me.

I don't really feel the 18, 25, and 85 are overpriced persay , but that 18 is worth every penny. The 135 seems out there to me but I have not used it. AF, lightweight, and sharp make a good product. I'm sure other lenses can do it but the Batis 18 and 25 are a joy to use and top shelf imho.

-- hide signature --

http://14fps.tv - My YouTube channel with a focus on Sony cameras.
http://14fps.com - My photography website.

FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more

FF Pro wrote:

I don't really feel the 18, 25, and 85 are overpriced persay , but that 18 is worth every penny. The 135 seems out there to me but I have not used it. AF, lightweight, and sharp make a good product. I'm sure other lenses can do it but the Batis 18 and 25 are a joy to use and top shelf imho.

Whether something is "overpriced" is very personal. My take on the Batis line is yes. I just sold my 4 month old Batis 25 to my friend and my Batis 18 is still on local Craigslist. just not a huge fan of this line of Zeiss product. it really doesn't feel like i am using a Zeiss lens. optic is fine but all the plastic housing, the horrible focusing ring and MF operation, it's just none-Zeiss like.

With the 85 1.8, I don't think is overpriced for only $1200, but I went with the 85GM and feel it worth every penny, mainly the Bokeh difference between the GM and the Batis. Now if I compare that Batis to the newer Sony 85 1.8, I feel the Sony 1.8 is a bargain for what you are getting for half of the price of the Batis.

As for the Batis 135 F2.8, I don't know if I will call it overprice or not, but for me, I will never paid $2000 for a 135 F2.8 lens when I can get a one full stop faster Zeiss 135 F2 Milvus for only $2200, and not to mention the Samyang 135 F2 for $500, not that is a steal, and I love both of my Zeiss 135 F2 apo and Samyang. so I guess in my eyes the whole Batis lne id kind of "overpriced", i never consider the Loxia 21 and the whole Milvus line very expensive for what you are getting though.

FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

Dan_168 wrote:

FF Pro wrote:

Whether something is "overpriced" is very personal. My take on the Batis line is yes. I just sold y 4 month old Batis 25 and the 18 is still on local Craigslist. just can't get my head around this line, it really doesn't feel like i am using a Zeiss lens.

With the 85 1.8, I don't think is overpriced but I went with the 85GM and feel it worth every penny, mainly the Bokeh difference between the GM and the Batis. Now if I compare that Batis to the newer Sony 85 1.8, I feel the Sony 1.8 is a bargain for what you are getting.

As for the Batis 135 F2.8, I don't know if I will call it overprice or not, but for me, I will never paid $2000 for a 135 F2.8 lens when I can get a one full stop faster Zeiss 135 F2 Milvus for only $2200, and not to mention the Samyang 135 F2 for $500, not that is a steal, and I love both of my Zeiss 135 F2 apo and Samyang. so I guess in my eyes the whole Batis lne id kind of "overpriced", i never consider the Loxia 21 and the whole Milvus line very expensive for what you are getting though.

I certainly can understand your point-of-view. I used the Loxia 21 today on a shoot and it is just lovely. I really love the Batis line but in my heart, Loxia is special.

-- hide signature --

http://14fps.tv - My YouTube channel with a focus on Sony cameras.
http://14fps.com - My photography website.

FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
MrT-Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,486

To each their own. I value image quality and I value portability, much more than whether the lens body is plastic or metal. The Batis 18 and 25 have impeccable image quality, as does the 135.

I've been on the fence with the 135, but think I might go ahead and buy it. Sure, a Sigma 135 with MC-11 is cheaper and a stop faster, but the Batis is half the weight... Surely that counts for something. At least for me it does.

Finally, following a very bad service experience with Sony/Precision and an excellent service experience with Zeiss, I also value the fact that a Zeiss lens is probably going to have better quality control and less sample variation than a Sony lens -- and that even if it's a bad copy, Zeiss will make sure to fix it.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +6 more

MrT-Man wrote:

Finally, following a very bad service experience with Sony/Precision and an excellent service experience with Zeiss, I also value the fact that a Zeiss lens is probably going to have better quality control and less sample variation than a Sony lens -- and that even if it's a bad copy, Zeiss will make sure to fix it.

This I can totally agree, I had to deal with Precision camera two times for my less than 1 year old A7R II, my experience with them is nothing but horrible, almost made me stop buying Sony product just because of this and the only authorized Sony repair center here.

tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 7,359

Agree.  I cannot even find out where a Sony Service Centre is here .  My Leica M, VM, ZM lenses will go to UK on warranty.  Zeiss will sort my ZM and Loxia lenses out here but probably not under warranty.  All of my Batis lenses go back to my Zeiss dealer and he will get Zeiss to sort them under 3 year warranty.  So far so good on not needing any repairs.

More worried about m used a7rii but so far so good .  The a7ii will go back to UK under warrant if needed.

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

MRK 2010 Regular Member • Posts: 180

I'm using this lens. It's better than I expected, but it still doesn't quite match the outstanding bokeh quality of the SAL135F18z.

You can find my Batis135 images here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattrkeyworth/albums/72157682309226404

MRK 2010's gear list:MRK 2010's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a7

Dan_168 wrote:

FF Pro wrote:

Whether something is "overpriced" is very personal. My take on the Batis line is yes. I just sold my 4 month old Batis 25 to my friend and my Batis 18 is still on local Craigslist. just not a huge fan of this line of Zeiss product. it really doesn't feel like i am using a Zeiss lens. optic is fine but all the plastic housing, the horrible focusing ring and MF operation, it's just none-Zeiss like.

the body of Batis lenses is metal, not plastic. The focusing ring is rubber. Of course if you want to feel the true MF Zeiss lens experience, getting an AF lens is a wrong move. These are AF lenses, not MF.

With the 85 1.8, I don't think is overpriced for only $1200, but I went with the 85GM and feel it worth every penny, mainly the Bokeh difference between the GM and the Batis. Now if I compare that Batis to the newer Sony 85 1.8, I feel the Sony 1.8 is a bargain for what you are getting for half of the price of the Batis.

The Sony is indeed a great "deal", but it is not as good as the Batis 85 in terms of flare resistance under critical situations.

Again, the Batis 135 offers image stabilization and AF, some will value that more than MF.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Pjotri New Member • Posts: 1

test it in a store

oriomenoni wrote:

With it's stellar price tag of 2000$ for an f2.8 lens, I still have to meet someone in my photographic acquaintances that has actually purchased the lens and is using it.
Yet, the lens seems to deliver!
However, with only 500$ or so more needed to get the 70-200 G Master (also f2.8), there doesn't seem to be much reasons left to go for the Batis. Especially now that Sony has announced a new 135 that is likely to be faster.
So... anyone out there using the Zeiss beast and wanting to share some images?

Ordinary
Ordinary New Member • Posts: 18

I love this lens. 135mm is just my cup of tea. No complaints about 2.8 aperture. You really have to focus carefully/exactly, because the depth of field is pretty narrow at 2.8, even at 5.6.

Ordinary's gear list:Ordinary's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads