Andoer (Jintu) EF-NEX IV

Started Jul 11, 2017 | Discussions
PaulSnowcat
PaulSnowcat Senior Member • Posts: 1,273
Andoer (Jintu) EF-NEX IV

Seems like we have a new converter just made by our Chinese friends. Andoer EF-NEX IV or Jintu EF-NEX IV (I think they are exactly the same).

They say that both PDAF and CDAF work with it and AF can even be used in movies by half pressing shoot button while filming.

Anyone tried it already maybe?

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +5 more
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,409
Re: Andoer (Jintu) EF-NEX IV

PaulSnowcat wrote:

Seems like we have a new converter just made by our Chinese friends. Andoer EF-NEX IV or Jintu EF-NEX IV (I think they are exactly the same).

They say that both PDAF and CDAF work with it and AF can even be used in movies by half pressing shoot button while filming.

Anyone tried it already maybe?

PDAF and CDAF - just like all other legacy-emulating adapters. (Look at the details - PDAF on new bodies, CDAF on old, NOT available at the same time).

The video feature says "for ILDC only" - what the hell is an ILDC?

https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Electric-Aperture-Exposure-Anti-shake/dp/B01MTYQKVY

$100 for a newly released adapter in 2017 that STILL lacks a firmware update port.  NOPE.

Interestingly I was actually close to ordering their previous product on Aliexpress because $40 is cheap enough to drill a hole in to attach SWD wires to the microcontroller (assuming it's using an ARM like most other adapters, the case looks different from the FOTGA which has an old ATMega8)

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
PaulSnowcat
OP PaulSnowcat Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

PDAF and CDAF - just like all other legacy-emulating adapters. (Look at the details - PDAF on new bodies, CDAF on old, NOT available at the same time).

That's sad.

That will remain a mystery

$100 for a newly released adapter in 2017 that STILL lacks a firmware update port. NOPE.

Updates are not always a good thing. Ask MC-11 users. Before that Sigma's firmware story I wanted to replace my VIltrox with MC-11. But it looks like sigma is stuck now on 1.05, so it is not updatable also de facto. So I've searched for something ekse and found this "Super China IV " thing. Actually if it will fix two bugs of my Viltrox adapter, I'd be happy to buy it. I don't REALLY need updating...

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +5 more

PaulSnowcat wrote:

That's sad.

$100 for a newly released adapter in 2017 that STILL lacks a firmware update port. NOPE.

Updates are not always a good thing. Ask MC-11 users. Before that Sigma's firmware story I wanted to replace my VIltrox with MC-11. But it looks like sigma is stuck now on 1.05, so it is not updatable also de facto. So I've searched for something ekse and found this "Super China IV " thing. Actually if it will fix two bugs of my Viltrox adapter, I'd be happy to buy it. I don't REALLY need updating...

Updates are almost always a good thing.  MC-11 1.06 and 1.07 were significant improvements in supported functionality.  Unfortunately many users bought the adapter for unsupported use cases that Sigma clearly stated were not guaranteed.

Either way, a completely nonupdatable adapter in 2017 is a non-starter.  Things change requiring adapters to address the changes way too often.  50% of this is discovering that you botched some aspect of reverse engineering Sony's stuff, 30% of this is working around oddball EF-mount lenses, and 20% is incorporating updates Sony makes to their own adapters - 90% certain this one doesn't have the LA-EA3 A9 improvements for example.

And from my perspective, the presence of a firmware update port gives me the route to flash my own firmware.  (I could in theory do this with an MC-11, but in practice the adapter is way too overpriced for such purposes.)

sarkske New Member • Posts: 1

In case u'r still interested, It doesn't seem that the info on amazon was right...

They just announced it on another web (don't know if I can post the link) and It's up for sale on ebay --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/162656527867

And yes... It supports CDAF + PDAF (by switching and reattaching the adapter) And yes... It has USB for firmware updates. It's called the same as the one on amazon, so maybe the one on amazon had the name mismatched cause this one it's dated as of 02-09-2017.

My bad for my English, sorry...

And Viltrox/Andoer web link --> http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=145&id=101

sarkske wrote:

In case u'r still interested, It doesn't seem that the info on amazon was right...

They just announced it on another web (don't know if I can post the link) and It's up for sale on ebay --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/162656527867

And yes... It supports CDAF + PDAF (by switching and reattaching the adapter) And yes... It has USB for firmware updates. It's called the same as the one on amazon, so maybe the one on amazon had the name mismatched cause this one it's dated as of 02-09-2017.

My bad for my English, sorry...

And Viltrox/Andoer web link --> http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=145&id=101

The Jintu EF-NEX IV and the Viltrox EF-NEX IV are completely different adapters.

The Viltrox is actually interesting, as it DOES have a USB port.

However since a properly made adapter supports both CDAF and PDAF, the presence of that switch indicates Viltrox really botched something in their adapter emulation protocols.

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,534

PaulSnowcat wrote:

That's sad.

Well at least for me, metabones update have been game changers, specifically firmware V57. Also with MY lenses at least MC-10 1.10 is working as good if not better than 1.05

-- hide signature --
 Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads