VCL-HGD1758 or VCL-HG1758

Started Feb 6, 2003 | Discussions
Yossi Kramer Contributing Member • Posts: 694
VCL-HGD1758 or VCL-HG1758

What is the difference between those models? I need a TC for my 717, and don't know the difference.
--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.
16 Nikkors, 3 aliens, 2x TCs

Yossi Kramer's gear list:Yossi Kramer's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR
ccw Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: VCL-HGD1758 or VCL-HG1758

yossi wrote:

What is the difference between those models? I need a TC for my
717, and don't know the difference.

Yossi,

I'm not sure of the real difference, but from what I've seen the non-"D" is more expensive, has one less element and is not the one recommended for the 717, so I'd go for the "D".
--
Craig

Sandrex New Member • Posts: 10

Hi Yossi, first sorry for my english, i´m european Spanish (España), ok i think that:

VCL-HG1758 converter for the Sony DCR-VX2000 Camcorder

• Get astounding detail in a telephoto view. This high-grade lens delivers edge detail thereby ensuring optimum image quality.

• 2.0X telephoto converter for Sony 58 mm diameter lenses

• Helps make distant subjects appear closer

• Lens Design: 3 groups, 5 elements

• High grade lens in aluminum housing for superb durability

• High grade lens offers twice the detail at the edge of an image

VCL-HGD1758 converter for your DSC-F707 or F717 camera
• Ultra-high quality 58mm thread lens

• 0.7x telephoto converter for the Sony DCR-VX2000 camcorder

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

latner Senior Member • Posts: 1,470

Hi Yossi, I am confused about these too. On the B&H website, it says that the "non-D" 1758 is for both camcorder and digital still cameras. Here is the link to that page.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___200953___SOVCLHG1758___REG___CatID=0___SID=F36B7A9A8E0___call=features#goto_features

Maybe someone here has experience using these? Tom.

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

sagittarii Junior Member • Posts: 27

Not sure about the VCL-HG1758 but on the Sony Style page it does mention that it is for their camcorder.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start ;sid=PDAYhF8FU8QY3WFHm70SjxALKpsm4eyfp1Q=?Dept=dcc&CatalogCategoryID=X1MKC0%2eNHO8AAADzZGInxCh2

I have had the VCL-HGD1758 (for my F717) for a couple of weeks and love it. It is a heavy piece but does appear to be very high quality. If you perform a search on this forum you'll find several threads discussing TC's.

latner wrote:
Hi Yossi, I am confused about these too. On the B&H website, it
says that the "non-D" 1758 is for both camcorder and digital still
cameras. Here is the link to that page.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___200953___SOVCLHG1758___REG___CatID=0___SID=F36B7A9A8E0___call=features#goto_features

Maybe someone here has experience using these? Tom.

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

Jonathan Welker Regular Member • Posts: 180

I think that just about every web retailer out there tries to market video camera lenses for digital still cameras, and, in return, trying to sell more. Always check manufacturers' sites to see if it is a video lens or camera lens. From what I understand, camera lenses are usually of higher quality and calibrated for digital still cameras. There's a lot of people out there trying to push video lenses as camera lenses, especially on ebay. I'm sure the HG version will work with the 717, but it was designed and made for video cameras, so go with the HGD version and save yourself some headaches. I purchased one a couple of months ago for my S85 and it works great. Good luck!

-Jon

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

-- hide signature --

Jon Welker

OP Yossi Kramer Contributing Member • Posts: 694

Thanks all friends.

I'm going to order the "D" version tonight. After getting stuck with a horrible Kenko WA "PRO" for my Sony without the ability to return it, I figured out that I'd rather ask first. Thanks!

Jonathan Welker wrote:
I think that just about every web retailer out there tries to
market video camera lenses for digital still cameras, and, in
return, trying to sell more. Always check manufacturers' sites to
see if it is a video lens or camera lens. From what I understand,
camera lenses are usually of higher quality and calibrated for
digital still cameras. There's a lot of people out there trying to
push video lenses as camera lenses, especially on ebay. I'm sure
the HG version will work with the 717, but it was designed and made
for video cameras, so go with the HGD version and save yourself
some headaches. I purchased one a couple of months ago for my S85
and it works great. Good luck!

-Jon

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

-- hide signature --

D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

Yossi Kramer's gear list:Yossi Kramer's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR
Dick b Regular Member • Posts: 347

Hi I was wondering if you have had any trouble with the weight of the Sony teleconverter. Im trying to decide between the Sony and the B300. dickb.

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

KennyG Senior Member • Posts: 1,217

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

As probably the only person on the planet who owns both lenses I thought I would throw my couple of cents into the discussion.

The real-world differences are - one is black, the other silver. The "D" version vignettes earlier (or hangs onto it longer when zooming out, whichever makes more sense to you) and the non-D has slightly more abberations at the extreme edges. Weight and size are the same.

I have taken pictures of the same subject at maximum zoom with both and I can't tell the difference (apart from the very left/right edges of the non-D). I would however chose the "D" version simply on price (and, as I am a bit of a fashion victim, looks). My non-D will find a new home soon to make way for the "D" version of the wide-angle.

Now attending weight-lifting classes to build up the muscles so I can lug around the two lenses and the 717.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

DSC-F717 - WA TC F1000
FP6900Z - WA TC
TRV25 - WA TC
(And everything fits into a LowePro Magum AW)

happybirdie Junior Member • Posts: 43

Hi Kenny,

would you mind posting a 2 pics with the VCL-HGD1758
at full optical zoom and at no zoom?

I'm curious to see how much vignetting there is..might make the jump from the b-300....

thanks

Kenny G wrote:

yossi wrote:

--
D100, CP4500, Sony F717.

As probably the only person on the planet who owns both lenses I
thought I would throw my couple of cents into the discussion.

The real-world differences are - one is black, the other silver.
The "D" version vignettes earlier (or hangs onto it longer when
zooming out, whichever makes more sense to you) and the non-D has
slightly more abberations at the extreme edges. Weight and size are
the same.

I have taken pictures of the same subject at maximum zoom with both
and I can't tell the difference (apart from the very left/right
edges of the non-D). I would however chose the "D" version simply
on price (and, as I am a bit of a fashion victim, looks). My non-D
will find a new home soon to make way for the "D" version of the
wide-angle.

Now attending weight-lifting classes to build up the muscles so I
can lug around the two lenses and the 717.

Rennie Petersen Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Some corrections, some samples

Sandrex wrote:

Hi Yossi, first sorry for my english, i´m european Spanish
(España), ok i think that:

VCL-HG1758 converter for the Sony DCR-VX2000 Camcorder
• Get astounding detail in a telephoto view. This high-grade lens
delivers edge detail thereby ensuring optimum image quality.

• 2.0X telephoto converter for Sony 58 mm diameter lenses

No, it is 1.7x.

• Lens Design: 3 groups, 5 elements

• High grade lens in aluminum housing for superb durability

• High grade lens offers twice the detail at the edge of an image

VCL-HGD1758 converter for your DSC-F707 or F717 camera
• Ultra-high quality 58mm thread lens

• 0.7x telephoto converter for the Sony DCR-VX2000 camcorder

No, it is also 1.7x, and is for digital still cameras. (It can presumably be used on the VX2000 too.)

Rennie

PS. I have the VCL-HG178, and you can see a couple of sample pictures here:
http://www.pbase.com/renniep/florida_nov_2002

I got my lens used on eBay for a reasonable price.

-- hide signature --
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 5,015
Re: VCL-HGD1758 or VCL-HG1758 or VCL-DH1758?

I already have a collection of scopes, I just want the right superzoom set up for quick grab and go imaging of the moon and planets (and for birding). Which of these three Sony 1.7x TC would be best for my camera?

I am trying to decide between three Sony 1.7x TCs for my 58mm thread Fuji HS50..... the VCL-DH1758, the VCL-HG1758 and the VCL-HGD1785. I am leaning towards the first as it is the lightest, and I already have a very heavy Canon 1.5x TC (TC-DC58A) that I rarely use because it is so heavy. Which would be the best lens to get? I need the brightest TC because I want to take pictures of planets and I also need it for bird photography. I found this info online http://www.thediyhunter.com/243-wssm-coyote-varmint-hunting/14-computers-cameras/72-superzoom-fujifilm-hs20exr-sony-vcl-dh1758-teleconverter That seems to favor the DH1758 but does not mention the HGD version (and he seems to think the HG would be brighter than the DH but does not really know- he is speculating?) Then I found this: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38016759 that's a nice shot of Saturn with the DH1758 dont you think? And my HS50 has a larger zoom (1000mm vs 720mm) and more MP (16 vs 10), so it should do better on Saturn? I also found this: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/4338679 which seems to indicate the HGD1758 is better than the HG1758 but no mention is made of the DH1758 perhaps because the latter is newer? I also found this comparison of the HGD vs other non Sony lenses and specs for it- it is the heaviest by far with a 90mm objective! Would this much larger lens be brighter than the DH and better for resolving the bands on Jupiter and Saturn? Or should I go with the DH1758?
http://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Converters/Lenses/Telephoto.html for specs and descriptions and http://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Converters/TEST/Tele-Tests/Tele-Compare.html for a detailed comparison. Here is a pic of the moon with the HS50 and the DH1758 attached: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32860903@N07/8752644498/in/photolist-ekrAgL

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,333

Why has someone with your experience exhumed a thread that's been decently dead for sixteen years?

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
OutsideTheMatrix

Sorry about that, I just didn't want to bother individuals with messages. At any rate, I did some more net sleuthing and I think I've found the info I need:

http://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/Converters/Tele-Test/Scene-1/Tele-Test-Infinity.html

http://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/Converters/Tele-Test/Scene-2/Tele-Test-Long.html

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2908922?page=2

The HGD version is FAR better

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,649

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Sorry about that, I just didn't want to bother individuals with messages. At any rate, I did some more net sleuthing and I think I've found the info I need:

http://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/Converters/Tele-Test/Scene-1/Tele-Test-Infinity.html

http://pages.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/Converters/Tele-Test/Scene-2/Tele-Test-Long.html

You are talking about using this on a HS50 which goes to a 1000mm equivalent.  This is so far outside of the specs of these old add-on converters that even the brutally heavy higher-quality converters are not likely to give better results than digital magnification would on the comparatively good optics of a more recent hyperzoom.

Of course, results will still be better than using something like the "2.2x" converters for around $20 new that inexplicably continue to be found on Ebay ostensibly for camera models that are ridiculously far out of their league.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
OutsideTheMatrix

Dak on cam wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

You are talking about using this on a HS50 which goes to a 1000mm equivalent. This is so far outside of the specs of these old add-on converters that even the brutally heavy higher-quality converters are not likely to give better results than digital magnification would on the comparatively good optics of a more recent hyperzoom.

Of course, results will still be better than using something like the "2.2x" converters for around $20 new that inexplicably continue to be found on Ebay ostensibly for camera models that are ridiculously far out of their league.

Yes, but I was encouraged by the images taken of the moon and even on the rings of Saturn with the DH1758.  Looking at the review in my post though, it looks like the HGD1758 is far better and even gives more magnification even though they are both rated at 1.7x.  That camera has something called "Intelligent Digital Zoom" up to 2x so maybe that would be better than any of these TCs?  I already have a Canon TC-DC58A 1.5x TC which weighs just two ounces less than the HGD1758 (18 oz vs 20 oz) and it's hard to tell the difference vs using IDZ at 1.4x.

The review uses the Panny FZ30 though, would that be applicable to my camera?  It should be better than the much older cameras those TCs were created for.

-- hide signature --

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 13,813

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

I already have a collection of scopes, I just want the right superzoom set up for quick grab and go imaging of the moon and planets (and for birding) ...

I found this: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38016759 that's a nice shot of Saturn with the DH1758 dont you think?

Nice is a relative term. It is recognizable as Saturn, which is an accomplishment ... but it's actually not much more than a blob.

And my HS50 has a larger zoom (1000mm vs 720mm) and more MP (16 vs 10), so it should do better on Saturn?

I guess. Maybe.

I also found this comparison of the HGD vs other non Sony lenses and specs for it- it is the heaviest by far with a 90mm objective! Would this much larger lens be brighter than the DH and better for resolving the bands on Jupiter and Saturn?

I would think you'd have to go to your collection of scopes if you really want to resolve bands on Jupiter and Saturn, and leave the superzoom for easy shots of the moon and terrestrial stuff like birding ... in which case you ought to be just fine with no TC at all.

OutsideTheMatrix

sybersitizen wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

I already have a collection of scopes, I just want the right superzoom set up for quick grab and go imaging of the moon and planets (and for birding) ...

I found this: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38016759 that's a nice shot of Saturn with the DH1758 dont you think?

Nice is a relative term. It is recognizable as Saturn, which is an accomplishment ... but it's actually not much more than a blob.

And my HS50 has a larger zoom (1000mm vs 720mm) and more MP (16 vs 10), so it should do better on Saturn?

I guess. Maybe.

I also found this comparison of the HGD vs other non Sony lenses and specs for it- it is the heaviest by far with a 90mm objective! Would this much larger lens be brighter than the DH and better for resolving the bands on Jupiter and Saturn?

I would think you'd have to go to your collection of scopes if you really want to resolve bands on Jupiter and Saturn, and leave the superzoom for easy shots of the moon and terrestrial stuff like birding ... in which case you ought to be just fine with no TC at all.

Yep that would save the agonizing over whether the DH or HGD version is better.  I think it turns out the HGD is better anyway, it should be with a 90mm objective and weighing 20 oz!  But with that much heft at the end of a long lens, a tripod would be required, in which case a scope is more convenient to use anyway.

-- hide signature --

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,916

This group of telextenders was introduced to go with some of the H-series Sony cameras, about 14 or 15 years ago. Their sensor resolution was in the 4 to 7 MP range and so these add-on lenses would not likely produce a sharp enough image to benefit a 20-MP camera of recent years. I quit trying to use mine several years ago, for that reason.

-- hide signature --
OutsideTheMatrix

Stephen McDonald wrote:

This group of telextenders was introduced to go with some of the H-series Sony cameras, about 14 or 15 years ago. Their sensor resolution was in the 4 to 7 MP range and so these add-on lenses would not likely produce a sharp enough image to benefit a 20-MP camera of recent years. I quit trying to use mine several years ago, for that reason.

I had heard that the DH version was a newer lens, but does it suffer from the same issues as the other two?  Maybe even worse because it's a smaller TC?

I got the Canon TC-DC58A which was made for an 8 MP camera (Pro 1), but it's only 1.5x, would none of these be as good or better than that TC?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads