Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash user experience + diffusers

Started Jun 29, 2017 | Discussions
SteB
SteB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,534
Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash user experience + diffusers

I've had the Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash for about a month and a half now. I had the Canon MT24EX since about 2007-8, but it stopped working the other years, and I got it back from the official Canon repair agents saying too uneconomical to repair. In fact the basic service charge I was quoted for the repair without any parts was more expensive than the Yongnuou YN24EX cost new. I've long thought that electronic flashes were grossly overpriced. A flash contains fairly standard electronic components in a cheap plastic body (even the top flashes) and there's little to justify the cost of the expensive flashes. You could buy nearly 7 YN24EX flashes for the price of one MT24EX. From what I've read most longer term users of the MT24EX have had problems with this flash, and it's cheaper to get a YN24EX than get it repaired.

So how does the YN24EX perform? The answer is so far very well. In sheer performance terms the YN24EX has been every bit as good as the MT24EX, and the way I use it, it has been even better (the focusing lights are brighter with two different settings). The only technical mark down is that the YN24EX does not do high speed synch, which I've never really used as the long burn flash duration means you lose the motion freezing virtual high speed shutter effect of flash. I've found that I have to sometimes use FEC (flash exposure compensation) with the various flash diffusers I've been using, but this is the same with any flash, and aside from that the exposures seem very reliable once you have got the FEC right. That's more than I can say for the MT24EX and 40D, where the E-TTL was anything but reliable. So far I've used the YN24EX on an 80D, 70D, and 600D without any problems.

I've also had a Yongnuo YN14EX for over 2 years, which I bought just after my MT24EX was declared too uneconomical to repair and it is still working and the only problems I've had with it are that it only works intermittently on the 70D, and not at all on the 80D. But it works fine on my old 40D and 600D. Obviously the problem is the back-engineered interface, and that the 70D and 80D came out after the flash was designed. As I mentioned the focusing lights, which are LEDs are good and bright. With my concave diffusers the light was bright enough than when moth trapping I could use the focusing lights like a torch making it very useful for night time macro photography. You can set it so the focusing lights come on with a dab of the shutter button.

The bracket that comes with YN24EX is larger in diameter than the MT24EX bracket. It attaches to the lens with adapter rings identical to Cokin P filter adapters and therefore can be adapted to a wide range of filter threads, greater than the range which come with the flash. The advantage is the YN24EX bracket lifts the flash heads up higher, and the disadvantage is that the adapter protrudes more below, although it is squared off like the MT24EX bracket to increase clearance. The good news is that the flash heads not only fit the MT24EX bracket, but click into place on it just like the MT24EX heads.

I've been using a version of my concave diffusers (inverted plastic domes), which are actually taken from my MT24EX adapters. They attach to the flash heads with a tube made of off embossed mylar reflective sheet, with self-adhesive velcro tape. The diffusers have a disk of diffuser gel stuck on with super glue (which caused the extra frosting on the inside you can see). I've attached a photo of a shiny subject, a Ladybird to give an impression of the light I can get with this set-up. This one was taken with the Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS lens with a Raynox DCR-250 clipped to the MT24EX bracket.

I still have the MP-E 65mm, but if I am only carrying one macro lens around I take either the EF-S 60mm with a set of extension tubes or the 100mm L with a DCR-250 and MSN-202 with clip on holders. Which I take depends on what I'm shooting. The 100mm L is best for handholding with natural light, and the EF-S 60mm is lighter, plus with an extension tube bridges the gap where a normal macro lens' magnification ends, and the MP-E's magnification begins. It's useful on a crop body where you are photographing say hoverflies but are also likely to encounter butterflies.

Just for the record I have no association with Yongnuo and bought both their flashes myself.

The YN24EX on my Canon 80D, with the 100mm f2.8 L IS lens + Raynox DCR-250 close-up lens attached

Plastic dome of the concave diffuser with an oval of diffuser gel attached

These form the tubes which attach the concave diffuser to the flash head with self-adhesive velcro

A highly reflective Ladybird to demonstrate the degree of light control

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: Yongnuo YN24EX twin flash user experience + diffusers

That is very clear, helpful and informative. Thank you for taking the time to prepare this.

orionmystery
orionmystery Senior Member • Posts: 2,056

Great write-up on the YN24EX, Stephen. Thanks for showing us your new concave diffuser too. The light on the ladybird looks great. I would be interested in seeing a frontal shot a jumping spider, or profile of a frog to see what the catch lights are like!

-- hide signature --

Orion Herp Adventure: http://OrionHerpAdventure.com

SteB
OP SteB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,534

orionmystery wrote:

Great write-up on the YN24EX, Stephen. Thanks for showing us your new concave diffuser too. The light on the ladybird looks great. I would be interested in seeing a frontal shot a jumping spider, or profile of a frog to see what the catch lights are like!

Thanks Kurt. I went out to find some more testing subjects the other day. Unfortunately on the fence where I usually find quite a few jumping spiders I only found this one Zebra spider and she wasn't very cooperative, and kept turning away from me. I managed to grab this one shot before she turned away completely. As you can see I just missed focus on the eye, but it's enough to see what the catchlights are like. The catchlights are a bit predictable. I can use a front light tent in addition to these as long you raise the flash heads up.

SteB

Thanks very much. I should have added that unfortunately it only seems to be available with Canon dedication, although I should imagine you can use in manual mode on other cameras.

orionmystery
orionmystery Senior Member • Posts: 2,056

SteB wrote:

orionmystery wrote:

Thanks Kurt. I went out to find some more testing subjects the other day. Unfortunately on the fence where I usually find quite a few jumping spiders I only found this one Zebra spider and she wasn't very cooperative, and kept turning away from me. I managed to grab this one shot before she turned away completely. As you can see I just missed focus on the eye, but it's enough to see what the catchlights are like. The catchlights are a bit predictable. I can use a front light tent in addition to these as long you raise the flash heads up.

Thanks for the reply and the jumping spider pic, Stephen. Would you consider adding a layer of light tent just to get rid of/minimize the double catch lights?

Also, I would love to feature your latest concave diffuser and YN24EX in my blog. Let me know once you have all the images up on your Flickr!

-- hide signature --

Orion Herp Adventure: http://OrionHerpAdventure.com

SteB

I was intending to send a review for your blog. I haven't done much normal macro photography this year, and more just recording species.

I intend to make some specific diffusers just for this flash. I've found an online computer aided design CAD feature for designing items for 3D printing. I tried various CAD software before but it was too complex for the quite simple shapes and designs I wanted to make. I would make the concave diffusers so they joined in the middle with flattened ends. The idea would be that the catchlight would be a more natural curved arch rather than 2 ovals. Properly shaped these could be versatile diffusers. Providing nearly as good diffusion as the long curved light tent on the end of the lens, but with a much smaller footprint, that doesn't go over the subject. It would also be possible to make much shorter diffusers for much more skittish subjects.

The biggest problem so far has been finding the right shaped plastic domes, but if you can make them to the shape and size you want it would be much better.

I'm surprised no one else picked up on the idea, because an inverted dome concave diffuser completely reshapes the light for perfectly even light distribution. The other think is that they are very efficient. Without the diffuser gel cover, they are as powerful as the bare heads because the light is focused. Most people are still stuck in the mistaken idea that you want a macro diffusers to scatter light all over the place like a normal flash diffuser. That is fine in a room with reflective walls and ceilings, but pointless out in the field. You just want the light concentrated in the area where your subject is, and the bit that fills the frame.

I made these in just a couple of hours with the plastic domes from my old MT24EX diffusers. Actually they are generally very good, and these three images are taken with them illustrate how versatile they are as they work close-up with the MP-E 65mm, extension tubes on the EF-S 60mm macro or 100mm f2.8 L IS macro with a Raynox close-up lens, to more distant larger objects with the 100mm macro.

G3ForMe Forum Member • Posts: 57

Just purchased the Yongnuo YN24EX and wanted to have an online version of the user manual. They give a website for downloading the latest updates to the manual - www.yongnuo.com.cn/usermanual/downloadIndex.htm but sadly, this is in China and none of my web browsers allow a connection.

Anyone know where I could get an online copy of the user manual?

Thank you.

G3ForMe's gear list:G3ForMe's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
SteB

Thank you!

Canon EOS 70D
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,525

Hey SteB,

You wouldn't happen to be selling a diffuser kit for this setup, would you? I have the flash, the MP-E, the 100L, and the 60mm with extension tubes and the 80D!

I just did some hand held shots with the MP-E at 5X with the YN24EX (just out of the box an hour ago) on my 80D. Not a bug just a Green Lantern figure I got someplace. I'm going to be loving this as soon as I get some diffusion going.

Thanks.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +33 more
pikeface Contributing Member • Posts: 532

Just wanted to ask if any one has experienced issues where the flash does not fire,  I have noticed that after some camera setting changes the the flash will not fire straight away (5sec) which is frustrating. My cannon mt 24 did not doe this.  Please let me know if anyone is experiencing this problem as I could still get a refund.

-- hide signature --

Have a look and leave a message
www.pbase.com/jeremy_broome_smith

I've experienced this but attributed it to being a newbie to flash.

I have a Canon 5D MK IV with the YN24EX ring flash. I put brand new batteries in the thing and was testing it out. I believe I switched from TTL to M or M to TTL and the thing sort of went dead. No charging, no flash. Turned off/on... same thing. Changed batteries... same thing. Not sure what I did to get it back. Haven't had that issue since.

Had a couple of instances where I took a photo when everything seemed to be working fine and the flash did not go off but again, I figured it was due to my not knowing what I'm doing with it yet.

Canon EOS 70D
SteB

RogerZoul wrote:

Hey SteB,

You wouldn't happen to be selling a diffuser kit for this setup, would you? I have the flash, the MP-E, the 100L, and the 60mm with extension tubes and the 80D!

I just did some hand held shots with the MP-E at 5X with the YN24EX (just out of the box an hour ago) on my 80D. Not a bug just a Green Lantern figure I got someplace. I'm going to be loving this as soon as I get some diffusion going.

Thanks.

Hi Roger

Sorry for the delay. I'm not yet selling or producing the diffusers, but the person on the link before I think was going to produce and sell some diffusers for the YN24EX. They 3D print them and have been making them for the Canon MT24EX.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasoncanning/

SteB

I haven't personally had this problem whilst using mine mainly the the Canon 80D. However, I have had similar problem with the Yongnuo YN14EX on the Canon 80D and Canon 70D. It worked fine on the Canon 40D and 600D. You don't say which camera you have. I assume the problems with the YN14EX, but not YN24EX were because the 70D and 80D were released after the flashgun was released. This is a problem with many of these flashguns in that the interface with the camera was back engineered and so the flash only fully functions with the cameras that it was tested on, but not later models. I can't be certain that this is the problem with yours. However, Canon has brought out DSLRs after this flash was released.

SteB wrote:

I haven't personally had this problem whilst using mine mainly the the Canon 80D. However, I have had similar problem with the Yongnuo YN14EX on the Canon 80D and Canon 70D. It worked fine on the Canon 40D and 600D. You don't say which camera you have. I assume the problems with the YN14EX, but not YN24EX were because the 70D and 80D were released after the flashgun was released. This is a problem with many of these flashguns in that the interface with the camera was back engineered and so the flash only fully functions with the cameras that it was tested on, but not later models. I can't be certain that this is the problem with yours. However, Canon has brought out DSLRs after this flash was released.

I am using a 1DX mkII and a 5dSR the SR is more reliable than the DX.  I have found that if you change the ISO on the camera without pressing ok the flash misfires for 5sec, however id you press ok to accept the ISO change its fine.

The other thing I have tried is to isolate the four pins on the shoe with tape so that the camera can't feed back to the body, this seems to work 100% but you have to turn the less on from flash gun.

I did look for a firmware upgrade but no luck yet.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pictures-4u.co.uk

G3ForMe wrote:

I've experienced this but attributed it to being a newbie to flash.

I have a Canon 5D MK IV with the YN24EX ring flash. I put brand new batteries in the thing and was testing it out. I believe I switched from TTL to M or M to TTL and the thing sort of went dead. No charging, no flash. Turned off/on... same thing. Changed batteries... same thing. Not sure what I did to get it back. Haven't had that issue since.

Had a couple of instances where I took a photo when everything seemed to be working fine and the flash did not go off but again, I figured it was due to my not knowing what I'm doing with it yet.

Thanks for the info

-- hide signature --

http://www.pictures-4u.co.uk

pikeface wrote:

I am using a 1DX mkII and a 5dSR the SR is more reliable than the DX. I have found that if you change the ISO on the camera without pressing ok the flash misfires for 5sec, however id you press ok to accept the ISO change its fine.

The other thing I have tried is to isolate the four pins on the shoe with tape so that the camera can't feed back to the body, this seems to work 100% but you have to turn the less on from flash gun.

I did look for a firmware upgrade but no luck yet.

I'm returning my YK24EX. For $170... I want the product to work.

I had one shoot where everything seemed to work fine... so, I thought my original problems were newbie to ring flash induced. Today, I got one shot off where the flash fired and then nothing! Flash wouldn't fire. Changed batteries.. still wouldn't fire. Did a test flash... works. I could turn both lights on manually but, couldn't get it to sync with camera and fire.

Canon EOS 70D
Harry Shepherd Contributing Member • Posts: 781

I've also been looking for a difuser/softbox for the YN24EX twin flash, then I realised I already had a pair softboxes made by Neewer https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Universal-Diffuser-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B00JUPDH5Q/ref=pd_sim_421_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JUPDH5Q&pd_rd_r=FHSPXMXDQMDXH8JZ61MD&pd_rd_w=Isiw1&pd_rd_wg=5CxlU&psc=1&refRID=FHSPXMXDQMDXH8JZ61MD.

All that I had to do was sew an elastic band onto the softbox to hold it in position. Due to very bad weather I've not had the opportunity to take any serious photographs, but the few test shots appear to be OK.

Diablorini Regular Member • Posts: 434

Does anyone know if this flash unit will fire on a sony body?

I assume most use this in manual mode for macro, so the real question is if it will fire at all.

-- hide signature --

One image at a time I hope to one day master the art of imagery

Diablorini's gear list:Diablorini's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony a6300 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads