70-300 CX lens error

Started Jun 27, 2017 | Discussions
OP vangoghfan New Member • Posts: 13
Re: 70-300 CX lens error

So, this error is not uncommon. It seems a design fault or manufacture defect. Nikon should look into the matter and offer unconditional repair.

vangoghfan's gear list:vangoghfan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 +15 more
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

I would only buy it IF I can get 5 year warranty

zzzxtreme's gear list:zzzxtreme's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 +2 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,454

Sangster wrote:

It is unfortunate Nikon does not offer 5 year comprehensive warranty on lenses in the US as they do in Canada. Wonder why they did this as warranty periods on both sides the border are typically similar.

I better remember ask about warranty when I pickup my copy from The Camera Store (TCS) when it arrives. Looks like quality might be an issue. How come I never see these comments in the user reviews, which are almost unanimously giving these lenses 5 stars. By the way, I've got my 10 mm arrived today and I noticed that mounting it on the camera is not that smooth, requires going through some resistance I would say. Hope it will loosen up with time, but definitely shows some quality inconsistency.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
pikastw
pikastw Junior Member • Posts: 25

The third party repair store sent me a photo of my CX 70-300.

In the middle top of the photo ,you can see a FPC in orange color.It is why  the lens error as the FPC is broken.

pikastw's gear list:pikastw's gear list
Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
OP vangoghfan New Member • Posts: 13

Thank you for the foto and the info. This is obvious not user fault. There is no way a photographer can cause a "breakage" like this as the lens is sealed.

vangoghfan's gear list:vangoghfan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 +15 more
virtualkyr
virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 736

Very cool to see inside like that

what is FPC?

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLRs - D750, D7200, D90
Compacts - Coolpix A, Nikon V1, Panasonic GH4

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
pikastw

virtualkyr wrote:

Very cool to see inside like that

what is FPC?

FPC means Flexible Printed Circuit.

Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 771

Is the FPC broken or did it slip out of the connector? Are you going to file a claim with Nikon.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 771

VadymA wrote:

Sangster wrote:

It is unfortunate Nikon does not offer 5 year comprehensive warranty on lenses in the US as they do in Canada. Wonder why they did this as warranty periods on both sides the border are typically similar.

I better remember ask about warranty when I pickup my copy from The Camera Store (TCS) when it arrives. Looks like quality might be an issue. How come I never see these comments in the user reviews, which are almost unanimously giving these lenses 5 stars. By the way, I've got my 10 mm arrived today and I noticed that mounting it on the camera is not that smooth, requires going through some resistance I would say. Hope it will loosen up with time, but definitely shows some quality inconsistency.

The 5 year extended warranty on lenses is stated on Nikon Canada website. The printed material that comes with the lens only mentions the standard one year worldwide warranty. They say no need to register to get this but I did it anyways just in case. Turns out I did have to make a few claims on the original kit lens.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
pikastw

I have contacted Nikon Taiwan before.

They knew this issue.

They can't fix it because Nikon Japan dose not has this FPC listed as a spare part.

Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,562

pikastw wrote:

They knew this issue.

They can't fix it because Nikon Japan dose not has this FPC listed as a spare part.

If I had to guess I'd bet that Nikon may be running out of spare parts for some CX lenses. Especially for lens like the 70-300cx that weren't big sellers, but are well loved.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
pikastw

Now the repair store will make a  brand new FPC by himself.

If he succeeds, we will have a spare part to fix the issue.

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 6,642

VadymA wrote:

Sangster wrote:

The 10mm was one of the few original CX lens with a metal lens mount. The 10-30 and 30-110 have chrome plated plastic mounts. Mine is tight too.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
Paul Pasco

Crashton wrote:

pikastw wrote:

They knew this issue.

If I had to guess I'd bet that Nikon may be running out of spare parts for some CX lenses. Especially for lens like the 70-300cx that weren't big sellers, but are well loved.

Well that pretty much seals it for me that even if a bargain comes along I'll pass. It's ridiculous that a somewhat expensive 3 year old lens can't be repaired.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,562

Paul Pasco wrote:

Well that pretty much seals it for me that even if a bargain comes along I'll pass. It's ridiculous that a somewhat expensive 3 year old lens can't be repaired.

That is true Paul & one of the reasons I bought my AF-P 70-300VR instead of the 70-300 CX. At $186 bucks or so I'm not worried if it breaks. With a new 70-300 CX you get a five year warranty, but at a $900 price.

When I had to have my 10-100 non-pd lens repaired I had to wait a couple of weeks for parts, (the aperture unit). That did not sit well with me & made me wonder if we are starting to see CX lens spares starting to dry up. If true that's a darned shame.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
avet4life Regular Member • Posts: 228

pikastw wrote:

The third party repair store sent me a photo of my CX 70-300.

In the middle top of the photo ,you can see a FPC in orange color.It is why the lens error as the FPC is broken.

Ok I must be not seeing it, could you circle the part of the FPC you are talking about ?

pikastw

Here you are~

nature2pixel New Member • Posts: 3

vangoghfan wrote:

I bought one N1 70-300 CX one and half years ago after reading many positive reviews in this forum. The performance has been very satisfactory. However, it started to mal-function after 8 month of use. It seemed that the VR unit was out of order. As it was under the first year free warranty, there was no charge for the repair by Nikon. Now it is 17 months since purchase and is also 9 months after the first repair. "lens error" appears whenever the zoom is set to position between 200 and 300 mm and the camera just shut off. Nikon quoted a repair cost of ~US$428 which I think is unreasonably high.

Now my questions are: is the repair cost reasonable?
Should I go ahead with the high cost repair or just buy another one ( which will cost ~ US$770 new)?

Could anybody advise?

I am facing the same problem. I bought the lens back in January this year, a week ago, when i was in the field recording a video with Nikon1 V1, i turn the lens to 200mm and the error message popped up on the display screen! i felt a slight vibration on the lens too. turn off the camera and turn it back ON again. it was alright when i tried it at 70mm but as i turn more than 200mm, i get the same error message! very disappointed. went back to the house to look for the warranty card before sending it to the service centre in KL, Malaysia on the same day. The service centre said it should take at least 2 weeks to get a feedback from them.

Now I am with the V1 + FT1 + 70-200mm.

This morning I went out to the forest, unfortunately I am having a problem with the V1, sometimes the AF just doesn't work anymore. i had to switch ON and OFF a few times to get the AF working. maybe it is time to get a used V2 or V3 ...OR even switch to a different system but I can't find any that is portable as the Nikon1 series. I really like the Nikon1 when i am guiding birders and bird photographers.

Kevin Omura
Kevin Omura Senior Member • Posts: 2,264

nature2pixel wrote:

vangoghfan wrote:

I bought one N1 70-300 CX one and half years ago after reading many positive reviews in this forum. The performance has been very satisfactory. However, it started to mal-function after 8 month of use. It seemed that the VR unit was out of order. As it was under the first year free warranty, there was no charge for the repair by Nikon. Now it is 17 months since purchase and is also 9 months after the first repair. "lens error" appears whenever the zoom is set to position between 200 and 300 mm and the camera just shut off. Nikon quoted a repair cost of ~US$428 which I think is unreasonably high.

Should I go ahead with the high cost repair or just buy another one ( which will cost ~ US$770 new)?

Could anybody advise?

I am facing the same problem. I bought the lens back in January this year, a week ago, when i was in the field recording a video with Nikon1 V1, i turn the lens to 200mm and the error message popped up on the display screen! i felt a slight vibration on the lens too. turn off the camera and turn it back ON again. it was alright when i tried it at 70mm but as i turn more than 200mm, i get the same error message! very disappointed. went back to the house to look for the warranty card before sending it to the service centre in KL, Malaysia on the same day. The service centre said it should take at least 2 weeks to get a feedback from them.

This morning I went out to the forest, unfortunately I am having a problem with the V1, sometimes the AF just doesn't work anymore. i had to switch ON and OFF a few times to get the AF working. maybe it is time to get a used V2 or V3 ...OR even switch to a different system but I can't find any that is portable as the Nikon1 series. I really like the Nikon1 when i am guiding birders and bird photographers.

This makes me wonder if the lens was the problem of the V1. Is the V1 upgraded to latest firmware?

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +64 more
Paul Pasco

Kevin Omura wrote:

nature2pixel wrote:

vangoghfan wrote:

Could anybody advise?

This makes me wonder if the lens was the problem of the V1. Is the V1 upgraded to latest firmware?

The lens error zooming past 200mm seems to be the same error as in the OP's, there is a ribbon connector that goes bad. There have been threads now with failures of most of the collapsing N1 lenses, 70-300, 30-110, 10-30, 6.7-13. Only the 10-30 had a service advisory; maybe all of them should? Look at the user base of this forum, has it ever been even 100 people? I wonder if DPR can provide that number? It would be interesting to compile a failure statistic for the DPR N1 users. I have personally only had one failure and it was the 10mm prime.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads