Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

Started Jun 25, 2017 | Questions
kultus Regular Member • Posts: 489
Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6
2

Hi guys, I need some advance. Iuse to edit my 20Mpx RAWs in Lightroom 6 (latest build) on laptop with i5 2430M 2x2.4GHz + 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD + GTX560M. Its quite OK (except panoramas and HDR) but last 2 years Im trying to save some money for high performance desktop or laptop without any luck.

Now I bought older workstation from our company for around $180 with Intel Xeon W3530 4x2.8GHz + 8GB RAM + 160GB HDD + FX1800, but Im already looking after more powerfull model for up to $50. The best choices for LGA1366 are: X5670 6x2.93GHz or X5677 4x3.46GHz for similar money and here is the problem. Which one to pick, six-core at lower speed or quadcore at higher speed? Acc.to this test it has sense to buy something up to six cores, but faster quadcore can theoretically balance lower amount of low speed cores. So please any thoughts? Many thanks.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Lightroom-CC-6-Multi-Core-Performance-649/

 kultus's gear list:kultus's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
RealCereal Contributing Member • Posts: 538
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6
3

kultus wrote:

Hi guys, I need some advance. Iuse to edit my 20Mpx RAWs in Lightroom 6 (latest build) on laptop with i5 2430M 2x2.4GHz + 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD + GTX560M. Its quite OK (except panoramas and HDR) but last 2 years Im trying to save some money for high performance desktop or laptop without any luck.

Now I bought older workstation from our company for around $180 with Intel Xeon W3530 4x2.8GHz + 8GB RAM + 160GB HDD + FX1800, but Im already looking after more powerfull model for up to $50. The best choices for LGA1366 are: X5670 6x2.93GHz or X5677 4x3.46GHz for similar money and here is the problem. Which one to pick, six-core at lower speed or quadcore at higher speed? Acc.to this test it has sense to buy something up to six cores, but faster quadcore can theoretically balance lower amount of low speed cores. So please any thoughts? Many thanks.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Lightroom-CC-6-Multi-Core-Performance-649/

I'd go for the higher clock speed. the more cores only benefit if you are rendering video as well

 RealCereal's gear list:RealCereal's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
bmoag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,140
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

If you keep buying older and slower machines you will get older and slower level performance.

If you want an upgrade in throughput you need a more modern i5 or i7 at the highest clock speed you can afford or its comparable Zen counterpart and solid state storage.

What you are considering does not seem much of an upgrade from your laptop for Lightroom/Photoshop, it could be slower.

Some, as in some, video producers might benefit from an older 6 core and up Xeon but I really think that's about it. Even then a modern 4 core-6 core consumer CPU will likely be faster because of the clock speed disparity and other improvements.

 bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
OP kultus Regular Member • Posts: 489
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6
1

Thanks for replies, but I dont think much higher clocked quadcore will be slower than low clocked dualcore which is only 1 year newer did you read the test? So you dont agree what they've measured?

I wanted to build the modern machine based on i5 6600K OC@4,5GHz last year, but will you give me money for that? I doubt so Im not a Pro. I wont see any money from editing my photos so I have my priorities (building a passive house)...so low budget WKS is the only option for now. I dont think it will be on pair with the modern desktops, I expect only better performance from my laptop...so which one to take?

PS: SSD will be there too ofcourse, the one from the laptop or the new one...

 kultus's gear list:kultus's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,717
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6
1

A Xeon processor is a dumb choice for Lightroom. Its multicore capabilities are great for database and CAD applications but provide zero benefit with Lightroom (or Photoshop).

There are i7 processors that provide far better performance than the Xeon CPU for these applications and at a fraction of the cost. Check the performance tests that include both processors and this will become obvious.

-- hide signature --

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders…tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

- Hermann Goring

 calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 5,155
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6
2

calson wrote:

A Xeon processor is a dumb choice for Lightroom. Its multicore capabilities are great for database and CAD applications but provide zero benefit with Lightroom (or Photoshop).

There are i7 processors that provide far better performance than the Xeon CPU for these applications and at a fraction of the cost. Check the performance tests that include both processors and this will become obvious.

Was this signature choice by design?   You've been making a lot of very definitive statements today that are absolutely false.

Xeons have the same cores as I7s.   They add ECC memory support, come in much higher core counts (though that gap has narrowed considerably with the last Extreme release, and many are priced nearly identically.  They do not overclock, which can mean different performance, but only for those who do bother to do that.

To the OP - it's frustrating how little it seems to matter what CPU is picked for LR.  Seems like if performance matters, you should try out one of the competitors.   I'd suggest picking the CPU for other use cases - video rendering certainly favors more cores.

OP kultus Regular Member • Posts: 489
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

Ok then show me configuration based on i7 for $220 which is price of the WKS + better Xeon. Did you even read that test in 1st post? Dont you agree with the measurings? This is what Im interesting in...and at last, I need to move from my laptops little laggy performance, mainly in HDR and panoramas where at least quadcore should help. Or?

 kultus's gear list:kultus's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
OP kultus Regular Member • Posts: 489
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

kelpdiver wrote:

Was this signature choice by design? You've been making a lot of very definitive statements today that are absolutely false.

Xeons have the same cores as I7s. They add ECC memory support, come in much higher core counts (though that gap has narrowed considerably with the last Extreme release, and many are priced nearly identically. They do not overclock, which can mean different performance, but only for those who do bother to do that.

To the OP - it's frustrating how little it seems to matter what CPU is picked for LR. Seems like if performance matters, you should try out one of the competitors. I'd suggest picking the CPU for other use cases - video rendering certainly favors more cores.

Thank you for the answer, Xeonscan be OCed with the right motherboard, which isnt my case as all of the OEM manufacturers lock FSB. But youre right Xeons are i7s with some additional features. I think this WKS isnt powerfull enought for video editing so this wont be the main use. I want it mainly for LR6 and occasion gaming with 1050Ti or RX570. I saw many YT videos these old even low clocked 6cores can handle modern games like Battlefield 1/Mafia 3/GTA V etc. on ultra settings and have only 50-60% usage. So they arent beasts, but still sufficient for several tasks...

Im quite surprised with your statement that the processor doesnt matter in LR as the multicore test showed the huge impact on performace with up to 5-6 cores.

 kultus's gear list:kultus's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
ZapoTeX New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

Hello everybody! Reviving this long dead thread to ask: is the above still true today, with Adobe Lightroom CC Classic?

And does the processor still matter at all with Lightroom CC (NOT the classic)? I mean, does the processing happen locally or on cloud?

Huge thanks all for the advice!

CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6
ZapoTeX New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

Hi CBR, thanks for your reply - on my browser, though, it looks empty. Did the text get accidentally deleted?

CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

ZapoTeX wrote:

Hi CBR, thanks for your reply - on my browser, though, it looks empty. Did the text get accidentally deleted?

I didn't notice how far back the OP was from and responded to it. But for your question and LR Classic here's a good link.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Lightroom-Classic-CC-2019-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-1298/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=52033

ZapoTeX New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

The links you gave me go FAR beyond answering my question Awesome stuff, I will read them avidly

Thanks!

ZapoTeX New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Which Intel Xeon for Lightroom 6

I gave it a good read.

It seems like the X processors do really well... However the tests feel a little unfair. The configuration for the X processors has 128GB of RAM, while the K processors are in a configuaration with 64GB

Still good indication. With enough RAM an X processor can do just as well. That's great to hear

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads