Wide gamut monitor vs 100% sRGB

Started Jun 23, 2017 | Questions
OrdinarilyInordinate
OrdinarilyInordinate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,707
Wide gamut monitor vs 100% sRGB

So I'm trying to decide if there's a point to getting a professional wide-gamut panel vs one that's also a professional 10-bit panel but advertises 100% sRGB (both by benq in this case). One is not 4K the other is 4K, same 27" screen size.

Because most of my photography and video are showcased on-line and viewed on digital screens, I'm primarily concerned with the sRGB gamut, and my results being color-accurate and looking good in sRGB. If there's no gradation banding in AdobeRGB format, but there's gradation banding in sRGB mode, I'd like to know about this and work on making sure that my images won't look like they have banding on computer screens. I do print, but very very occasionally.

So given my specific needs, does it matter if I go for something like a 10-bit BenQ BL2711U, which is a 4K IPS monitor with 100% sRGB coverage, targeted at videography and CAD users, or a wide-gamut BenQ SW2700PT, which is 1440p but with 99% of Adobe RGB coverage.

I have a monitor calibration tool (Spyder 4 Elite) which I'd be using with either.

(My current 27" monitor is one of the original cheap 1440p Korean import panels based on LG panels, with no controls other than brightness, and is now 5 years old, suffering from some stain-like uneven illumination now, and I can never quite get the colors right on it, even with calibration).

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
ANSWER:
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,541
Re: Wide gamut monitor vs 100% sRGB

OrdinarilyInordinate wrote:

So I'm trying to decide if there's a point to getting a professional wide-gamut panel vs one that's also a professional 10-bit panel but advertises 100% sRGB (both by benq in this case). One is not 4K the other is 4K, same 27" screen size.

Because most of my photography and video are showcased on-line and viewed on digital screens, I'm primarily concerned with the sRGB gamut, and my results being color-accurate and looking good in sRGB. If there's no gradation banding in AdobeRGB format, but there's gradation banding in sRGB mode, I'd like to know about this and work on making sure that my images won't look like they have banding on computer screens. I do print, but very very occasionally.

I don't do video so I can't give you any advice in that area.

If your primary still image output is for web then I wouldn't recommend a wide gamut monitor since what you will be seeing won't be reflected in what you post to the web in the 8-bit sRGB format.

The banding problem for still images generally shows up when you apply large brightness or color corrections to an 8-bit JPG. Banding is especially a problem for B&W. If you make your changes to a 16-bit image (typically in the ProPhoto color space) then convert it to an 8-bit sRGB JPG then banding is less likely to show up. Even then there are techniques such as adding noise that can minimize the appearance of banding.

Learn How To Fix Color Banding (Posterization) Using Just One Simple Tool | Fstoppers

So given my specific needs, does it matter if I go for something like a 10-bit BenQ BL2711U, which is a 4K IPS monitor with 100% sRGB coverage, targeted at videography and CAD users, or a wide-gamut BenQ SW2700PT, which is 1440p but with 99% of Adobe RGB coverage.

I have a monitor calibration tool (Spyder 4 Elite) which I'd be using with either.

I recommend you check to see if the Spyder4Elite can color calibrate wide gamut monitors.

(My current 27" monitor is one of the original cheap 1440p Korean import panels based on LG panels, with no controls other than brightness, and is now 5 years old, suffering from some stain-like uneven illumination now, and I can never quite get the colors right on it, even with calibration).

You get a better quality calibration that uses the full capabilities of your monitor by manually adjusting the brightness, contrast, and individual R, G, and B values. Use your Spyder4Elite in the advanced mode and it will guide you through making these manual settings.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,354

I have a wide gamut NEC digital imagine monitor but my editing output is just or the web and monitor viewing so I have it set to sRGB, as is my camera and workflow. If I needed any wide gamut output for CMYK printing or anything it would be a different story. If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased a monitor with wide gamut capabilities because they can be more expensive.

https://contrastly.com/digital-darkroom/

>>> Wide-gamut sounds perfect (more is better?), but consider this: almost the entire digital world is built to work with sRGB. You can really see the difference with web pages. Web designers typically develop everything to work with sRGB. If you don’t recalibrate a wide-gamut monitor to view the internet, you can be overwhelmed at the color ranges of some websites – they will just look “off.” Additionally, photos that look perfect on your wide-gamut monitor will not look the same to anyone using a monitor with an sRGB color range.

The world is made to work with the sRGB color range. Unless you are working professionally or you plan to use a high quality printer to print your digital images, you likely don’t need a wide-gamut display. Keep in mind that you also don’t really need a 36 megapixel Nikon D800 – but you want one anyway. If you do get one, make sure you consider a model that can switch between wide-gamut and sRGB profiles. It will be easier to surf the web in sRGB. >>>

-- hide signature --
 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
OrdinarilyInordinate
OP OrdinarilyInordinate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,707

Thank you both for your replies! I actually ended up going with a $405 deal on a BenQ SW2700PT wide gamut monitor after all, specifically because I've read some very detailed Russian site reviews on this and the other BenQ monitor, and they noted that the SW2700PT version has actual RGB backlight, whereas the 4K CAD monitor has white/yellow LED backlight. I like the various presets for different color temperatures to change on the fly on the former, and it also looks from reviews that color gradation is more accurate on the SW2700PT. I've decided that 4K resolution is not as important as good color and being easier on eyes. I might also experiment with doing editing in Lightroom and RawTherapee in Adobe RGB profiles and then exporting to sRGB, and using the menu button on the monitor that switches between sRGB and Adobe RGB.

Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

The better products allow you to switch to an sRGB like gamut with one button. Look into a SpectraView II from NEC, best of both worlds.

Because most of my photography and video are showcased on-line and viewed on digital screens, I'm primarily concerned with the sRGB gamut, and my results being color-accurate and looking good in sRGBYou can't control what other's see of your work online! If they use color managed browsers, any color space will preview 'correctly' if they calibrate and profile their displays.

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2

In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:

When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices

How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check

The downsides of an all sRGB workflow

sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices

The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology

Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4

Low resolution on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvVUL1gWVs

. If there's no gradation banding in AdobeRGB format, but there's gradation banding in sRGB mode, I'd like to know about this and work on making sure that my images won't look like they have banding on computer screens. I do print, but very very occasionally.

Banding can be in the actual data or the display path. With a high bit display, it's unlikely banding is showing up on-screen from the display but unless you have a high bit video card, and OS/software support, the entire video path isn't high bit.

It's not a very good device!

(My current 27" monitor is one of the original cheap 1440p Korean import panels based on LG panels, with no controls other than brightness, and is now 5 years old, suffering from some stain-like uneven illumination now, and I can never quite get the colors right on it, even with calibration).

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,606

Thank you both for your replies! I actually ended up going with a $405 deal on a BenQ SW2700PT wide gamut monitor after all, specifically because I've read some very detailed Russian site reviews on this and the other BenQ monitor, and they noted that the SW2700PT version has actual RGB backlight, whereas the 4K CAD monitor has white/yellow LED backlight. I like the various presets for different color temperatures to change on the fly on the former, and it also looks from reviews that color gradation is more accurate on the SW2700PT. I've decided that 4K resolution is not as important as good color and being easier on eyes. I might also experiment with doing editing in Lightroom and RawTherapee in Adobe RGB profiles and then exporting to sRGB, and using the menu button on the monitor that switches between sRGB and Adobe RGB.

FWIW I have a buddy who purchased one of these monitors in the last couple of months. It rivals my NEC which cost 3-4x more.  The construction, display, gamut, LUT, and calibration are alll fine though it isn't the greatest monitor for video and the resolution is not 4K.  I think you'll be pleased with the color reproduction and luminance.

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,354

If you use the menu button on the monitor for switching back and forth between color spaces, make sure that you run the colorimiter (calibration unit) first and create a fresh, calibrated profile for each of your color spaces.  Those calibrated profiles are what you want to grab when switching color spaces.  In my NEC monitor for example it has default settings for sRGB, Adobe, etc., but those are not calibrated, just default color profiles that came in the monitor from the factory.  So to grab my calibrated profiles, I open the software for the colorimiter, open that, and can click on the calibrated profile (and color space) that I want to use at the moment.   Note that when I run the colorimiter and create a fresh profile for sRGB for example, before saving that profile it allows you to Name it so I call it sRGB and put the date after that.

-- hide signature --
 Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
OrdinarilyInordinate
OP OrdinarilyInordinate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,707

digidog wrote:

The better products allow you to switch to an sRGB like gamut with one button. Look into a SpectraView II from NEC, best of both worlds.

Because most of my photography and video are showcased on-line and viewed on digital screens, I'm primarily concerned with the sRGB gamut, and my results being color-accurate and looking good in sRGBYou can't control what other's see of your work online! If they use color managed browsers, any color space will preview 'correctly' if they calibrate and profile their displays.

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2

In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:

When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices

How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check

The downsides of an all sRGB workflow

sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices

The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology

Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4

Low resolution on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvVUL1gWVs

. If there's no gradation banding in AdobeRGB format, but there's gradation banding in sRGB mode, I'd like to know about this and work on making sure that my images won't look like they have banding on computer screens. I do print, but very very occasionally.

Banding can be in the actual data or the display path. With a high bit display, it's unlikely banding is showing up on-screen from the display but unless you have a high bit video card, and OS/software support, the entire video path isn't high bit.

It's not a very good device!

Thank you very much for replying to my question.  I have watched your video and will do more related reading.  I'm glad I got a wide-gamut monitor in the end.

ThijsH Regular Member • Posts: 305

Just watched your video, and bookmarked your site. Feel like I'm gonna learn a lot from your video's

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

I wear safety flip-flops, so what could possibly go wrong?

ThijsH's gear list:ThijsH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads