Auto-ISO in my X100F shows max ISO all the time

Started Jun 23, 2017 | Discussions
CoolHandLu Regular Member • Posts: 405
Auto-ISO in my X100F shows max ISO all the time

I know this came up last year in a thread, but the solution in that thread (changing the AE/AF-Lock mode) didn't work for me.

My issue is pretty simple - whenever I'm in Auto-ISO mode the EVF always shows the maximum ISO number (and, obviously, the exposure in the EVF is almost always over-exposed).  Half-depressing the shutter button doesn't change anything - I still see an overexposed scene with the ISO indicating whatever maximum ISO I chose.  It's only until AFTER I take the shot and chimp will I see what ISO setting the camera actually selected (and the camera does a good job at that point - no complaints there). That, of course, defeats the entire purpose of an EVF.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? I called up FujiFilm and the tech agrees this doesn't seem correct. My Firmware version is up to date (1.01). I otherwise LOVE this camera. maybe I have a bad copy?

Thanks!
Brian

-- hide signature --

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying. (Woody Allen)

CoolHandLu's gear list:CoolHandLu's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 +17 more
Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,079
Re: Auto-ISO in my X100F shows max ISO all the time

CoolHandLu wrote:

I know this came up last year in a thread, but the solution in that thread (changing the AE/AF-Lock mode) didn't work for me.

My issue is pretty simple - whenever I'm in Auto-ISO mode the EVF always shows the maximum ISO number (and, obviously, the exposure in the EVF is almost always over-exposed). Half-depressing the shutter button doesn't change anything - I still see an overexposed scene with the ISO indicating whatever maximum ISO I chose. It's only until AFTER I take the shot and chimp will I see what ISO setting the camera actually selected (and the camera does a good job at that point - no complaints there). That, of course, defeats the entire purpose of an EVF.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? I called up FujiFilm and the tech agrees this doesn't seem correct. My Firmware version is up to date (1.01). I otherwise LOVE this camera. maybe I have a bad copy?

Thanks!
Brian

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is the way it works, you have to half press the shutter to see the ISO used...

Locking exposure (AEL) should work but this solution is not really satisfying imho.

Fuji did nothing to "fix" this so far.

OP CoolHandLu Regular Member • Posts: 405

Hi Christof,

If I saw the settings the camera selected after half-depressing the shutter, I'd be a happy camper.  The problem is half-depressing the shutter doesn't do anything - I still see the Max ISO and the EVF is overexposed.  I don't find out what ISO the camera selected until I actually take the photo.

Oddly, this only happens in Continuous Auto-Focus.  When in Single auto-focus, the Auto-ISO works as it should (i.e. .half depressed shutter shows the ISO the camera selected and the EVF reflects a proper exposure)

Brian

-- hide signature --

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying. (Woody Allen)

Christof21 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,079

CoolHandLu wrote:

Hi Christof,

If I saw the settings the camera selected after half-depressing the shutter, I'd be a happy camper. The problem is half-depressing the shutter doesn't do anything - I still see the Max ISO and the EVF is overexposed. I don't find out what ISO the camera selected until I actually take the photo.

Oddly, this only happens in Continuous Auto-Focus. When in Single auto-focus, the Auto-ISO works as it should (i.e. .half depressed shutter shows the ISO the camera selected and the EVF reflects a proper exposure)

Brian

I guess in continous auto-focus it does not lock anything, so the settings are known only when you take the shots.

This is not surprising.

But anyway,  it should always display the settings in live, it would be a great help

HMMmmm . . . . so in Continuous Auto-Focus mode, everyone's X100Fs show the maximum ISO in the EVF when in Auto-ISO mode?  If that's the case, and that's how the camera is designed, maybe my camera is working normally as it should (like it or not).  That still doesn't make much sense - the EVF is useless in Continuous Focus mode in that case.

-- hide signature --

Apparently this is a known oddity/bug - the X-T1 and the X-Pro2 apparently have this same issue: https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/x100f-auto-iso-af-c-s-priority-cannot-read-value-on-lcd-even-with-shutter-pressed.69450/

Hopefully a firmware update will fix this in short order.

Brian

-- hide signature --

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,383

CoolHandLu wrote:

My issue is pretty simple - whenever I'm in Auto-ISO mode the EVF always shows the maximum ISO number (and, obviously, the exposure in the EVF is almost always over-exposed). Half-depressing the shutter button doesn't change anything - I still see an overexposed scene with the ISO indicating whatever maximum ISO I chose. It's only until AFTER I take the shot and chimp will I see what ISO setting the camera actually selected (and the camera does a good job at that point - no complaints there). That, of course, defeats the entire purpose of an EVF.

Thanks!
Brian

Same issue with the XT2 when you have AE-L disconnected from the shutter. I.e. if it's on, it shows the exposure but it's locked from when you pushed down the shutter and doesn't continue to compensate if you are following something from dark to light. If you switch it off, it continues to exposure but it doesn't show you the value.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/theoverratedphotographer/
Fuji XT-2, Fuji X-E2, XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR, XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR, XF23mmF2 R WR, XF35mmF2 R WR, XF90mmF2 R LM WR, XF60mm F2.4

Roberto_StreetPh New Member • Posts: 8

I have exactly the same problem: when using continuous autofocus, the correct ISO is not displaying when half-pressing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads