Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

Started Jun 18, 2017 | Discussions
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

acahaya wrote:

I usually do a lot of postprocessing and also specifically expose for postprocessing,

<Big snip>

I only shoot scenes of opportunity ... mainly natural environment stuff.  So at the time of exposure I usually work hard at composition and the other (lighting, subject, mood, etc) factors that "grab/engage" me in stopping to make a picture.  I usually have my cameras set to capture optimal information for a raw file.

On the way to my computer I enjoy the suspense of waiting to see what I got.

And I enjoy seeing the converted imagery, then working it to represent what engaged me in the first place.

Coincidentally, today I posted this page, Making pictures ,  to my blog  giving an overview of the flow from engagement of the photographer to engagement of the viewer.  You've obviously thought a lot about the subject and I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter .... without hijacking your thread, I hope.   (As I think that your thread is much broader than just "shooting ooc jpegs" vs "Shooting raw files".)

Images are in the post below to allow for loading .... enjoy

Beautiful work!  Thanks for posting such fine examples.

-- hide signature --

Tom
The best part of growing old is having the opportunity to do so.
https://brtthome.wordpress.com/

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Jeff4500
Jeff4500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,692
Re: Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

For me it depends on what I am shoot and what. Is it to create art or memories. With today's cameras shoot RAW/JPEG doesn't really impose a penalty. as 50% stills/ 50% video shooter some for memories and some for art/commercial I have a good sense of what I need and how to get them quickly done.

But I find that good B&W's are, for me, not SOOC stuff.

I think your point about balance between life, hobbies, work (Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?) kind of applies to all we do. For some, me included, Dark Room/video processing has been a part of my hobby/work for a long time and I enjoy it (especially on the 365 rainy days Oregon get ever yearly:)), working on images is better than moaning about the 2" of rain in a day.

I find that most of my hobbies are integrated (Astronomy - astro photos,/ still photography / video travel & shorts / Music (for videos) keyboard/NLE). My yard I guess you could call a hobby (setting up critter environments along the creek and forest that is 2/3 of my yard  for - you guessed it photo/video ops). My wife has an art studio for her work and we often ask each other for consultation on this piece or that piece. Plus if you shoot in a group or with groups that is great social interaction (made friends just by going to the same place).

I'd say with out the various programs I use my commercial stuff and my "Art" would not be as good - but then use a lot of things in PS that you can't find in camera (layers for one).

Any you post has some thought provoking stuff and is quit different from the "m43 is not used by real photographers":)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Hung Low
Hung Low Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Re: Images set 1

Very nice. I like the idea of no need for post processing.
Regards,
Hung

-- hide signature --

People's Republic of China. Builders of THE Great Wall. And proud of it!

Hung Low's gear list:Hung Low's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
GeorgianBay1939

Jeff4500 wrote:

For me it depends on what I am shoot and what. Is it to create art or memories. With today's cameras shoot RAW/JPEG doesn't really impose a penalty. as 50% stills/ 50% video shooter some for memories and some for art/commercial I have a good sense of what I need and how to get them quickly done.

I think your point about balance between life, hobbies, work (Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?) kind of applies to all we do. For some, me included, Dark Room/video processing has been a part of my hobby/work for a long time and I enjoy it (especially on the 365 rainy days Oregon get ever yearly:)), working on images is better than moaning about the 2" of rain in a day.

I find that most of my hobbies are integrated (Astronomy - astro photos,/ still photography / video travel & shorts / Music (for videos) keyboard/NLE). My yard I guess you could call a hobby (setting up critter environments along the creek and forest that is 2/3 of my yard for - you guessed it photo/video ops). My wife has an art studio for her work and we often ask each other for consultation on this piece or that piece. Plus if you shoot in a group or with groups that is great social interaction (made friends just by going to the same place).

I'd say with out the various programs I use my commercial stuff and my "Art" would not be as good - but then use a lot of things in PS that you can't find in camera (layers for one).

Any you post has some thought provoking stuff and is quit different from the "m43 is not used by real photographers":)

Yes, it seems that a blend of all of our activities (including releasing shutters and post-processing raw files) will constantly change depending on our interests, stage of development, subject matter, intended viewership, lifestyle and competing interests and responsibilities.

There's no prescriptive answer to OOC vs raw processing.

However I suspect that no one would be able to do what you do at https://salesd987.myportfolio.com/projects   using OOC jpegs!

especially this: https://salesd987.myportfolio.com/the-heart-of-art!! 

Thanks for sharing your work and your insight.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
myess Forum Member • Posts: 90

First, great pictures!  Second, you hit a chord that Fuji is playing very loudly and well.  BTW I am a long time Oly shooter and will continue to be.

There is no doubt that PP is necessary in some circumstances but where OLY/PANA/SONY etc have gone wrong is JPGs. Actually where they missed an opportunity is understanding people's time.  Fuji spent a lot of time, energy and expertise honing their jpgs.  Like it or not that is a huge selling point to have out of camera pictures ready to go to save TIME.  I have show their cameras and that is a very fun thing to do.  It would be a great firmware update from any of these companies with art filters/simulations that are crafted to the processor/manufacture to best showcase what is possible.  From there you can change the highlights/crop/shadows etc.  It all amounts to seeing a great image from your work, immediately, that you are able to send out.  These companies now have to compete with iphones which provide immediate gratification and 1,000s of filters.  Instagram is prime example.

An example would be for one of the mirrorless to partner with VSCO or another digital color expert/company to come up with different filters.  From there you could upload different filters to your camera and really get what you want, every time.  I would PAY for these.

For example, why does the PEN F have that great monochrome 2 but the EM1.2 doesn't?  How frustrating!  What if I could upload a Provia filter that is tweaked to my liking and then upload the filter to the camera?

To me this seems much easier, less costly, and a source of income outside of sensor sizes and # of pixels.

Sorry for the rant but there are opportunities missed that Fuji is really doing a good job of taking advantage of.  OLY and PANA could do the same...  I want to see them succeed as I have a bunch of their gear and want to enjoy it for years to come.

-Matt

myess's gear list:myess's gear list
Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 13,995

photohounds wrote:

Great shots mate.

I have mucked around with the Art Filters a bit.
DId you know you can delete all but your favourite filters and then "Art Filter bracket", making one image with each filter for each shutter press?

Good for where you're a bit unsure what will work best or want multiple effects straight out of camera.

Yup, Art filter bracketing gives the opportunity to both exploit any subset of one's choosing with a single button press, and can help guide post processing strategy when one just doesn't know where an image might best head when considering treatments. So long as the camera is set to RAW when you select Art on the mode dial, you also get a RAW file along with your treated jpegs.

The penalty is the time required for the camera to process and store the various images. Don't bother with the continuous drive modes.

Anyway, intriguing set and amazing location.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

acahaya
OP acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

leggeron wrote:

Wonderfully done!

It's been a freeing experience. But I'm just a hobbyist, so for me it's OK.

Thank you I am a hobbyist too.

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II
acahaya

photohounds wrote:

acahaya wrote:

hope you like them

Sabine

Great shots mate.

Thank you

DId you know you can delete all but your favourite filters and then "Art Filter bracket", making one image with each filter for each shutter press?

Yes, i already deactivated the one i never use

Good for where you're a bit unsure what will work best or want multiple effects straight out of camera.

True although i now try to decide before if a certain art filer or maybe just curves and a colour tweak or even just a simple vivid or mute or monochrome will do the job but i have to admit that i used art filter bracketing a lot in the beginning, when i was not yet sure what i like and what not.

I'd love to be able to define and load my own filters and add more effects plus control the strength of the existing ones.

I hear you about post processing! it takes Ages!

yes, especiaally if you want to do a good job

These were all SOOC + levels - With the M1.2 if I shot-to-process, there would be WAY too many to process/upload in a reasonable time.

These are cool, great documentary and i love the colours

Another band - outdoors in the evening - here I played with various filter types - one gave me a Tri-X pan look and another I liked looked cross-processed M1.1 this time.

This is the look I favoured at the time. M1.2 has different filters I've not tried yet.

These might also look good in B&W or Dramatic Tone II (also B&W). The couloured dramatic tone is hard to use imo, did you know you can change the position of the greyish blobs with exposure correction (but will damage the RAW).

Sabine

-- hide signature --

acahaya

RSSrsvp wrote:

Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots. If possible please post some more where the models are posing by the ruins.

By the way, who in your group had the job of selecting the models?

you can find some more of the girls posing by the ruins here on my website but most are NSFW

and we knew all of our models before, we also meet at home for model sharing events and we chse the girls we thought would enjoy a paid week on a beautiful island and have fun with our group.

acahaya

Okapi001 wrote:

acahaya wrote:

You kind of missed my point. I was not talking about GAS, pixel peeping and score measuring but about the current paradigm stating that you have to shoot RAW, convert images and further edit them in Photoshop or something similar to get good results.

Well, that "paradigm" is far from being universal among professionals. For example, many sports photographers reporting live from an event are sending jpegs to the editor, who may or may not do some basic post-processing before posting them online. Time is of an essence there and you want to be the first to publish a photo, so no time for messing with raws.

I am aware of the need to deliver images asap and in that case you have no time for pp.

It is nice to be able to choose if i feel like using the jpg orr post-processing

A couple of years ago Reuters even "banned" raws.

i remember and understand why they did it but still think it was an over reaction.

Sabine

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 6,368

acahaya wrote:

Tommi K1 wrote:

acahaya wrote:

I usually do a lot of postprocessing and also specifically expose for postprocessing, which usually results in RAW files that are flat and have low contrast because i then have more room for corrections in the raw converter and later on in Photoshop. I then save all those RAW files on my hard disk and on two backup drives and wait for proper inspiration to create something really special out of them .... but i never look at them or even show them because they look boring straight out of the cam.

Some weeks ago i noticed that i kind of lost my inspiration and photography somehow was not as much fun anymore as it used to be. I also realized that i now have a backlog of more than 1000 images waiting for future editing and that i was getting more and more sloppy regarding exposure and composition because i could easily fix this in LR and PS.
The reason is that i somehow forgot that photography used to be about getting it right from the start.

Yeah, familiar story that you can hear from many.

Really?

What i usually get to hear is that using ooc jpgs is for amateurs only, art filters, presets and image styles are bs and real photographers are using RAW only.

I have never heard "Hey it is fun to shoot raw, use specific JPG settings to create a look and spend time on the beach instead of photoshoping" from someone like me who did extensive post processing for the last 15 years or so

Eh, there's always a certain degree of snobbery against art filters, tho at the same time I've often seen praise for a few of them (specially high contrast monochromes)... I don't think there's anywhere near as much of a general bias against shooting RAW+JPEG and getting things as right as possible in-camera tho...

Oly and Fuji JPEG processing is praised quite often, even in DPR and other site's reviews, and there's still complaints about other brand's JPEGs... If nobody was using them nobody would care. I've only had cameras with RAW capabilities for half a decade or so but it always made sense to me to shoot RAW+JPEG.

Oly does let you develop the RAWs in camera as well as apply the filters later, so there's that approach too... I see no downside to shooting both tho, outside of like bursts for really fast action or something. Cards are cheap... Well, a little more expensive lately as flash prices shot up but still.

Edit: Oh and nice shots! My fave is the first too, tho the last one kinda begs to be looked at in a larger screen than what I'm currently using here.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic GX850 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +32 more
acahaya
Re: Images set 2

all images with the E-M1 II, 12-40 and two different flavours of the Pinhole art filter, enjoy

art filter Pinhole III

Art Filter Pinhole III

Stranded on Mars, Art Filter Pinhole III

Art Filter Pinhole III

same old same old Pinhole III

Art Filter Pinhole I

-- hide signature --

acahaya

larsbc wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?

Choose whatever way works best for you.

Exactly

Personally, I enjoy post processing. It is part of my hobby. Saying that it uses up time away from my loved ones is like saying the same thing about reading a book. Neither activity is done at the expense of spending time with loved ones. We don't spend 100% of our time at home doing things together. In fact, I don't know any family that does.

i fully understand :-), this is what i usually do, this is not ooc

mFT Fangirl

Actually, a lot of my photos are taken when I'm doing things with my family, and often times when we're on the go. I prefer to focus on exposure and framing and leave the rest (colour balance, noise reduction, sharpening, tonal adjustments) for later when I have more time and can work on a larger screen.

This is the more traditional way to do it and there is nothing wrong with it.

-- hide signature --

acahaya

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

acahaya wrote:

I usually do a lot of postprocessing and also specifically expose for postprocessing,

<Big snip>

I only shoot scenes of opportunity ... mainly natural environment stuff. So at the time of exposure I usually work hard at composition and the other (lighting, subject, mood, etc) factors that "grab/engage" me in stopping to make a picture. I usually have my cameras set to capture optimal information for a raw file.

On the way to my computer I enjoy the suspense of waiting to see what I got.

And I enjoy seeing the converted imagery, then working it to represent what engaged me in the first place.

If i understand correctly you are talking about taking or "Making" pictures of "nature"

Coincidentally, today I posted this page, Making pictures , to my blog giving an overview of the flow from engagement of the photographer to engagement of the viewer. You've obviously thought a lot about the subject and I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter .... without hijacking your thread, I hope. (As I think that your thread is much broader than just "shooting ooc jpegs" vs "Shooting raw files".)

Very good read, i do not mind to discuss this iat all.

I was somehow thinking about the question how much we usually imagine to make or take an image. To me this has a lot of influence regarding the technique i use.

Sabine

acahaya

Jeff4500 wrote:

Maybe my real problem is that i tend to loose myself in postprocessing instead of simply doing what is necessary and then stop.
My next challenge could be to not spend more than 5 minutes when postprocessing an image, i.e. do speed retouche and speed composing 

Fully agree, a good b&W conversion requires a lot of fine tuning. The images i posted fortunately don't.

I think your point about balance between life, hobbies, work (Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?)

kind of applies to all we do. For some, me included, Dark Room/video processing has been a part of my hobby/work for a long time and I enjoy it (especially on the 365 rainy days Oregon get ever yearly:)), working on images is better than moaning about the 2" of rain in a day.

LOL, i gave up on the video editing long time ago because it was soooo time consuming but i am aware that things changed a lot .... oh and we do have better weather here in Bavaria

I find that most of my hobbies are integrated (Astronomy - astro photos,/ still photography / video travel & shorts / Music (for videos) keyboard/NLE). My yard I guess you could call a hobby (setting up critter environments along the creek and forest that is 2/3 of my yard for - you guessed it photo/video ops). My wife has an art studio for her work and we often ask each other for consultation on this piece or that piece. Plus if you shoot in a group or with groups that is great social interaction (made friends just by going to the same place).

This sounds perfect ...

LOL

There are some stunning images on your website, bookmarked

Sabine

acahaya

myess wrote:

First, great pictures!

Ghank you Matt

Second, you hit a chord that Fuji is playing very loudly and well. BTW I am a long time Oly shooter and will continue to be.

There is no doubt that PP is necessary in some circumstances but where OLY/PANA/SONY etc have gone wrong is JPGs.

Do you think Oly went wrong with the JPGs? I cannot tell for Panny and Sony but i like Oly JPGs and the settings they offer.

Actually where they missed an opportunity is understanding people's time. Fuji spent a lot of time, energy and expertise honing their jpgs. Like it or not that is a huge selling point to have out of camera pictures ready to go to save TIME. I have show their cameras and that is a very fun thing to do. It would be a great firmware update from any of these companies with art filters/simulations that are crafted to the processor/manufacture to best showcase what is possible. From there you can change the highlights/crop/shadows etc. It all amounts to seeing a great image from your work, immediately, that you are able to send out. These companies now have to compete with iphones which provide immediate gratification and 1,000s of filters. Instagram is prime example.

I mentioned before that i'd love to have more conntrol regarding the settings and strength of art filters and would like to create my own styles, Who knows, maybe someone is reading here and giving us what we want with a future FW update

An example would be for one of the mirrorless to partner with VSCO or another digital color expert/company to come up with different filters. From there you could upload different filters to your camera and really get what you want, every time. I would PAY for these.

Cool, with access to itunes or google this might even be a business model

For example, why does the PEN F have that great monochrome 2 but the EM1.2 doesn't? How frustrating! What if I could upload a Provia filter that is tweaked to my liking and then upload the filter to the camera?

Good idea!

Sabine
-- hide signature --

Jeff4500
Jeff4500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,692

However I suspect that no one would be able to do what you do at https://salesd987.myportfolio.com/projects using OOC jpegs!

Thank you Tom for the nice compliment, appreciate it greatly.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
myess Forum Member • Posts: 90

acahaya wrote:

myess wrote:

First, great pictures!

Ghank you Matt

Second, you hit a chord that Fuji is playing very loudly and well. BTW I am a long time Oly shooter and will continue to be.

There is no doubt that PP is necessary in some circumstances but where OLY/PANA/SONY etc have gone wrong is JPGs.

Do you think Oly went wrong with the JPGs? I cannot tell for Panny and Sony but i like Oly JPGs and the settings they offer.

i don't think they went wrong but could do better  I like a couple of their offerings but, after seeing what Fuji and VSCO can do, maybe there is more.  I think they can optimize the JPGs and make it more of an emphasis.  They do well but can do better.

Actually where they missed an opportunity is understanding people's time. Fuji spent a lot of time, energy and expertise honing their jpgs. Like it or not that is a huge selling point to have out of camera pictures ready to go to save TIME. I have show their cameras and that is a very fun thing to do. It would be a great firmware update from any of these companies with art filters/simulations that are crafted to the processor/manufacture to best showcase what is possible. From there you can change the highlights/crop/shadows etc. It all amounts to seeing a great image from your work, immediately, that you are able to send out. These companies now have to compete with iphones which provide immediate gratification and 1,000s of filters. Instagram is prime example.

I mentioned before that i'd love to have more conntrol regarding the settings and strength of art filters and would like to create my own styles, Who knows, maybe someone is reading here and giving us what we want with a future FW update

i hope they do!  Rumor is they read this.

An example would be for one of the mirrorless to partner with VSCO or another digital color expert/company to come up with different filters. From there you could upload different filters to your camera and really get what you want, every time. I would PAY for these.

Cool, with access to itunes or google this might even be a business model

now that is a good idea.  I would pay a couple dollars for a couple great filters.  Time is money

For example, why does the PEN F have that great monochrome 2 but the EM1.2 doesn't? How frustrating! What if I could upload a Provia filter that is tweaked to my liking and then upload the filter to the camera?

Good idea!

Sabine

-- hide signature --

myess's gear list:myess's gear list
Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
GeorgianBay1939

Jeff4500 wrote:

However I suspect that no one would be able to do what you do at https://salesd987.myportfolio.com/projects using OOC jpegs!

Thank you Tom for the nice compliment, appreciate it greatly.

You're welcome!

Who says that this is forum for gearheads only, eh??   

Many "artists"  spend their lives rebelling under the yoke of stereotypical views imposed by their professional interest.   Engineers, like myself, aren't supposed to have an ounce of creativity as they follow the Handbooks.  Everyone knows that.

By the way, I also enjoyed your Photography Art Blog especially this page:

http://035c417.netsolhost.com/WordPress/category/a-photography-art-blog/page/3/

And I skimmed over some of your earlier work since I used to do some of that stuff --- before my retirement from "real" work into photography, etc,  20 years ago.

Good stuff.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Agius FOTO
Agius FOTO Senior Member • Posts: 2,324

Skeeterbytes wrote:

photohounds wrote:

Great shots mate.

Yup, Art filter bracketing gives the opportunity to both exploit any subset of one's choosing with a single button press, and can help guide post processing strategy when one just doesn't know where an image might best head when considering treatments. So long as the camera is set to RAW when you select Art on the mode dial, you also get a RAW file along with your treated jpegs.

The penalty is the time required for the camera to process and store the various images. Don't bother with the continuous drive modes.

Anyway, intriguing set and amazing location.

Cheers,

Rick

I didn't know this.  Can you expand on what this is? For example, I noticed that I can apply a green, yellow, or red filter to my monochrome shots, but not clear on how to use these or when they best apply.  Does this mean I can take a photo with all the filters and decide after the shoot which was most appropriate in camera?

-- hide signature --

My flickr account.....in its infancy as of March 2015. Feel free to comment!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130003647@N03/

Agius FOTO's gear list:Agius FOTO's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads