Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

Started Jun 18, 2017 | Discussions
acahaya
acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

I usually do a lot of postprocessing and also specifically expose for postprocessing, which usually results in RAW files that are flat and have low contrast because i then have more room for corrections in the raw converter and later on in Photoshop. I then save all those RAW files on my hard disk and on two backup drives and wait for proper inspiration to create something really special out of them .... but i never look at them or even show them because they look boring straight out of the cam.

Some weeks ago i noticed that i kind of lost my inspiration and photography somehow was not as much fun anymore as it used to be. I also realized that i now have a backlog of more than 1000 images waiting for future editing and that i was getting more and more  sloppy regarding exposure and composition  because i could easily fix this in LR and PS.
The reason is that i somehow forgot that photography used to be about getting it right from the start.

Me and some photo friends had planned a photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models in May and our goal was to take images that could only have been shot on this island, i.e. no portraits with blurred background, no bikini shots on a beach that could be everywhere ....

I decided to add another challenge for myself: I had to shoot one image of every set as an ooc JPG, either using normal JPG settings or an Art Filter that would add to the mood i wanted to create. I would also shoot additional images for future postprocessing but at the end of each day i wanted to have at least one picture of each model and set copied to my iPad and ready to show at dinner.

On the first days i was a bit stressed, worried about very hard light and i had to correct exposure and perspective a lot but during the week i was there i was having more and more fun with my ooc JPGs. The girls were happy too (i was the only one mailing them images on thee same day) and nobody ever pointed out noise, blown out highlights and other imperfections.

Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?

Images are in the post below to allow for loading .... enjoy

-- hide signature --

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II
acahaya
OP acahaya Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: Images set 1

Pen-F, fisheye, Art Filter Pinhole III

E-M1 II, 12-40, Art Filter Pinhole I

E-M1 II, 12-40, Art Filter Pinhole II

E-M1 II, 12-40, Art Filter Pop Art II

E-M1 II, 12-40, Art Filter Pop Art III

hope you like them

Sabine

HornOUBet
HornOUBet Senior Member • Posts: 2,205

Nice.....

-- hide signature --
 HornOUBet's gear list:HornOUBet's gear list
Canon G3 X Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +24 more
Marco Zima
Marco Zima Regular Member • Posts: 411

Nice, my favorite is the first one!

-- hide signature --
 Marco Zima's gear list:Marco Zima's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Tommi K1 Senior Member • Posts: 5,425
Re: Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

acahaya wrote:

I usually do a lot of postprocessing and also specifically expose for postprocessing, which usually results in RAW files that are flat and have low contrast because i then have more room for corrections in the raw converter and later on in Photoshop. I then save all those RAW files on my hard disk and on two backup drives and wait for proper inspiration to create something really special out of them .... but i never look at them or even show them because they look boring straight out of the cam.

Some weeks ago i noticed that i kind of lost my inspiration and photography somehow was not as much fun anymore as it used to be. I also realized that i now have a backlog of more than 1000 images waiting for future editing and that i was getting more and more sloppy regarding exposure and composition because i could easily fix this in LR and PS.
The reason is that i somehow forgot that photography used to be about getting it right from the start.

Yeah, familiar story that you can hear from many.

Me and some photo friends had planned a photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models in May and our goal was to take images that could only have been shot on this island, i.e. no portraits with blurred background, no bikini shots on a beach that could be everywhere ....

I decided to add another challenge for myself: I had to shoot one image of every set as an ooc JPG, either using normal JPG settings or an Art Filter that would add to the mood i wanted to create. I would also shoot additional images for future postprocessing but at the end of each day i wanted to have at least one picture of each model and set copied to my iPad and ready to show at dinner.

You didn't never shoot JPEG+raw but only raw?

On the first days i was a bit stressed, worried about very hard light and i had to correct exposure and perspective a lot but during the week i was there i was having more and more fun with my ooc JPGs. The girls were happy too (i was the only one mailing them images on thee same day) and nobody ever pointed out noise, blown out highlights and other imperfections.

Usually people don't do that, even the critical ones. It is more of the spike in character among pixel peepers and gear heads as they are so focused to those things and mainly those things.

Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?

No. There are many of us who have found the real world photography, not the gear collecting and pixel peeping or DXO/DPR score/sample measuring etc.

Example, if someone wants to get photos from some special event (like wedding) to A4-A3 size photobook / photoalbum and then to facebook, all the ratings, evaluations, reviews etc from DPR, DXO etc that is related to IQ becomes moot.

Same thing happened for the raw files few years ago when JPEG became OOC by engine and EVF so good that you had the flexibility in them for almost every situation to be processed even if needed. No more chimping and having mistaken exposures and worrying is the image good by just reading histogram and "knowing" that you can "fix the photo later". Instead now you get finished, or nearly finished images OOC and more easily than ever before.

Example. A3 size print and comparing best FF to now old 4/3" sensor is so same up to ISO 3200 that there is no reason to get the FF when most don't benefit from it benefits in clear majority of the situations. Blind tests about IQ differences done and almost no one can say anything by difference being there and it becomes guessing game.

So relaxing, shooting 200-3200 ISO without worries, getting thing right in the camera faster and easily and there is more time to think and react to the situation than ever before.

hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 3,860
Re: Art Filter Therapy: A photo trip to Lanzarote with 5 models and no need to post-process

Tommi K1 wrote:

So relaxing, shooting 200-3200 ISO without worries, getting thing right in the camera faster and easily and there is more time to think and react to the situation than ever before.

So, that being undoubtedly true and all (and I definitely agree), why do you never post any photos?

-- hide signature --
Tommi K1 Senior Member • Posts: 5,425

hindesite wrote:

Tommi K1 wrote:

So, that being undoubtedly true and all (and I definitely agree), why do you never post any photos?

You do know that if you have read.....

acahaya

Tommi K1 wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Some weeks ago i noticed that i kind of lost my inspiration and photography somehow was not as much fun anymore as it used to be. I also realized that i now have a backlog of more than 1000 images waiting for future editing and that i was getting more and more sloppy regarding exposure and composition because i could easily fix this in LR and PS.

Really?

What i usually get to hear is that using ooc jpgs is for amateurs only, art filters, presets and image styles are bs and real photographers are using RAW only.

I have never heard "Hey it is fun to shoot raw, use specific JPG settings to create a look and spend time on the beach instead of photoshoping" from someone like me who did extensive post processing for the last 15 years or so

I always shoot JPG + RAW but only used the JPG to sort and delete images not worth keeping (much faster) and to help my models selecting images for post processing

Usually people don't do that, even the critical ones. It is more of the spike in character among pixel peepers and gear heads as they are so focused to those things and mainly those things.

We were a group of friends plus 5 models, there was no pixel peeper around (hard to do on an iPad anyway). I only noticed that people liked the images i showed but assumed i had sneaked in a photoshop session between coming home from the set, taking a shower and meeting for dinner. Nobody mentioned the images looking "ooc" although they were  

No. There are many of us who have found the real world photography, not the gear collecting and pixel peeping or DXO/DPR score/sample measuring etc.

???

You kind of missed my point. I was not talking about GAS, pixel peeping and score measuring but about the current paradigm stating that you have to shoot RAW, convert images and further edit them in Photoshop or something similar to get good results.

Example, if someone wants to get photos from some special event (like wedding) to A4-A3 size photobook / photoalbum and then to facebook, all the ratings, evaluations, reviews etc from DPR, DXO etc that is related to IQ becomes moot.

???

Yes but this is completey OT here, i am using mFT for years now, i am happy with it even printing large for exhibitions and this alone should show you that i do not worry too much about DXO scores and technical image quality

Same thing happened for the raw files few years ago when JPEG became OOC by engine and EVF so good that you had the flexibility in them for almost every situation to be processed even if needed. No more chimping and having mistaken exposures and worrying is the image good by just reading histogram and "knowing" that you can "fix the photo later". Instead now you get finished, or nearly finished images OOC and more easily than ever before.

???

Not sure what you are trying to tell me? If my exposure settings are wrong my image will suffer no matter if JPG or RAW. If i cut off a foot or an other important part of my main subject, the image is worthless. Without checking (chimping) i have no chance to correct this. Remember that the goal is to shoot an image as good as possible to avoid later post processing. I never said it had to be perfect on the first shot

Example. A3 size print and comparing best FF to now old 4/3" sensor is so same up to ISO 3200 that there is no reason to get the FF when most don't benefit from it benefits in clear majority of the situations. Blind tests about IQ differences done and almost no one can say anything by difference being there and it becomes guessing game.

???

I am not talking about FF and not about comparing anything.

I wanted to point out that even for someone like me who has "the raw is my canvas" as a credo it brings back a lot of fun plus more accuracy when you challenge yourself to get images right from the start instead of trying to fix or perfect them afterwards.

I won't give up shooting for postvprocessing but i'll peobably shoot more and more images where the ooc jpg is good enough for me.

Sabine

acahaya

Thank you

-- hide signature --

acahaya

Marco Zima wrote:

Nice, my favorite is the first one!

mine too, atbleast from this set.

Sabine

leggeron Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Wonderfully done!

I personally, due to time constraints, have been shooting raw+jpg and editting only the jpgs on my phone with snapseed mostly. I use the raws for archiving. It's been over 3 years now. I very very rarely sit at the PC and work with raws.

It's been a freeing experience. But I'm just a hobbyist, so for me it's OK.

-- hide signature --

** I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts...
______
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leggeron/
Just so you know how good/bad I am at this.

leggeron's gear list:leggeron's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +14 more
Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 110

acahaya wrote:

Tommi K1 wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Really?

What i usually get to hear is that using ooc jpgs is for amateurs only, art filters, presets and image styles are bs and real photographers are using RAW only.

I have never heard "Hey it is fun to shoot raw, use specific JPG settings to create a look and spend time on the beach instead of photoshoping" from someone like me who did extensive post processing for the last 15 years or so

I always shoot JPG + RAW but only used the JPG to sort and delete images not worth keeping (much faster) and to help my models selecting images for post processing

We were a group of friends plus 5 models, there was no pixel peeper around (hard to do on an iPad anyway). I only noticed that people liked the images i showed but assumed i had sneaked in a photoshop session between coming home from the set, taking a shower and meeting for dinner. Nobody mentioned the images looking "ooc" although they were

???

You kind of missed my point. I was not talking about GAS, pixel peeping and score measuring but about the current paradigm stating that you have to shoot RAW, convert images and further edit them in Photoshop or something similar to get good results.

???

Yes but this is completey OT here, i am using mFT for years now, i am happy with it even printing large for exhibitions and this alone should show you that i do not worry too much about DXO scores and technical image quality

???

Not sure what you are trying to tell me? If my exposure settings are wrong my image will suffer no matter if JPG or RAW. If i cut off a foot or an other important part of my main subject, the image is worthless. Without checking (chimping) i have no chance to correct this. Remember that the goal is to shoot an image as good as possible to avoid later post processing. I never said it had to be perfect on the first shot

???

I am not talking about FF and not about comparing anything.

I wanted to point out that even for someone like me who has "the raw is my canvas" as a credo it brings back a lot of fun plus more accuracy when you challenge yourself to get images right from the start instead of trying to fix or perfect them afterwards.

I won't give up shooting for postvprocessing but i'll peobably shoot more and more images where the ooc jpg is good enough for me.

Sabine

Acahaya, he was actually agreeing with you, he wasn't suggesting that you paid attention to those things he was merely using those examples to expand on the same conclusion you came to, that what really matters is good photography and good technique. He's saying that all the people focusing on specs, DXO scores, Post processing , gear collecting, RAW dependency,  are missing the point. That the focus should be on good, solid technique and not the technology to get the results that you want.

Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
acahaya

Ok, then i am sorry for any misunderstanding. English is not my first language 

-- hide signature --

Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 110

I suspect it's not his either , so things really just got lost in the multi-layered translation

Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
photohounds
photohounds Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

acahaya wrote:

hope you like them

Sabine

Great shots mate.

I have mucked around with the Art Filters a bit.
DId you know you can delete all but your favourite filters and then "Art Filter bracket", making one image with each filter for each shutter press?

Good for where you're a bit unsure what will work best or want multiple effects straight out of camera.

I hear you about post processing! it takes Ages!

These were all SOOC + levels - With the M1.2 if I shot-to-process, there would be WAY too many to process/upload in a reasonable time.

Another band - outdoors in the evening - here I played with various filter types - one gave me a Tri-X pan look and another I liked looked cross-processed M1.1 this time.

This is the look I favoured at the time.  M1.2 has different filters I've not tried yet.

-- hide signature --

Had equivalence disease when switching from 6x7cm to MINI 35mm format. Now cynical marketing men call it: "full (Marketing) frame".
Four thirds and MFT pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/browse
Gear test samples - even some RB-67 shots:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests
OMDs with dim-light action and smoke?
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Performing-arts

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +8 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,009

acahaya wrote:

You are not alone, and there should be more people thinking like this. it is a good challenge.

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 6,776

acahaya wrote:

I usually do a lot of postprocessing and also specifically expose for postprocessing, which usually results in RAW files that are flat and have low contrast

And how does one do that, hmmm?

....Am i the only one who thinks that maybe we are spending too much time worrying about perfect technical image quality and wasting time with hours of post processing instead of planning ahead, take good pictures that do not require a lot of postprocessing and spend time with our loved ones or other hobbies instead of sitting in front of Photoshop?

Totally agree. The more one tries to previsualize the final image at the time of shooting, then sets up the camera to produce that at the time of shooting, the more one has the opportunity to integrate the creative process instead of splitting it into pre-creation and post-creation, where the time gap between the two phases can damage the original idea (so many new ideas having occurred in the interim that it is not all remembered holistically).

As an aside, if the in-camera jpeg files are a bit crude, one can always shoot raw and process in the manufacturer's own raw processor e.g. Olympus Viewer, which can export tiff files with all the camera settings embedded just like in-camera jpegs.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
RSSrsvp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,194

Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots. If possible please post some more where the models are posing by the ruins.

By the way, who in your group had the job of selecting the models? 

RSSrsvp's gear list:RSSrsvp's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,160

acahaya wrote:

Choose whatever way works best for you.

Personally, I enjoy post processing.  It is part of my hobby.  Saying that it uses up time away from my loved ones is like saying the same thing about reading a book.  Neither activity is done at the expense of spending time with loved ones.  We don't spend 100% of our time at home doing things together.  In fact, I don't know any family that does.

Actually, a lot of my photos are taken when I'm doing things with my family, and often times when we're on the go.   I prefer to focus on exposure and framing and leave the rest (colour balance, noise reduction,  sharpening, tonal adjustments) for later when I have more time and can work on a larger screen.

Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 3,798

acahaya wrote:

Well, that "paradigm" is far from being universal among professionals. For example, many sports photographers reporting live from an event are sending jpegs to the editor, who may or may not do some basic post-processing before posting them online. Time is of an essence there and you want to be the first to publish a photo, so no time for messing with raws.

A couple of years ago Reuters even "banned" raws.

From Reuters press release:

"I’d like to pass on a note of request to our freelance contributors due to a worldwide policy change.. In future, please don’t send photos to Reuters that were processed from RAW or CR2 files. If you want to shoot raw images that’s fine, just take JPEGs at the same time. Only send us the photos that were originally JPEGs, with minimal processing (cropping, correcting levels, etc).

Speed is also very important to us. We have therefore asked our photographers to skip labour and time consuming processes to get our pictures to our clients faster".

I know a few photographers working for printed media who shoot raw+jpeg, but almost never use raw. They have found out years ago that it is simply a waste of time to develop raw when the end results are photos no larger than 1/2 or 1/4 of a magazine page, or even only posted online.

They do use raws for photos used for a cover page or a 2-page spread (which means perhaps 2-3 such photos per week).

Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads