DIGIC 7 v. DIGIC 6 DIGIC 6+ and Dual DIGIC processors

Started Jun 18, 2017 | Discussions
Battersea Contributing Member • Posts: 856
DIGIC 7 v. DIGIC 6 DIGIC 6+ and Dual DIGIC processors

Hello smart people. Can anyone explain the benefits of higher end DIGIC processors compared to previous versions and also how dual processors would be used? I assume speed and fps are affected. I have heard higher ISO or possibly noise reduction. I especially appreciate responses that would give examples between different processors. Also what happens when a DIGIC processor is called plus? Is that just an overclocked version? Thanks for the help!

Battersea's gear list:Battersea's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,986
Re: DIGIC 7 v. DIGIC 6 DIGIC 6+ and Dual DIGIC processors

Battersea wrote:

Hello smart people. Can anyone explain the benefits of higher end DIGIC processors compared to previous versions and also how dual processors would be used?

Newer CPUs (and that's what Canon calls its CPU: digic) processes more data than older CPUs. More megapixels and more fps in general. And if you shoot JPG, more advanced noise removal.

I assume speed and fps are affected. I have heard higher ISO or possibly noise reduction. I especially appreciate responses that would give examples between different processors. Also what happens when a DIGIC processor is called plus? Is that just an overclocked version? Thanks for the help!

Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,812

RedFox88 wrote:

Newer CPUs (and that's what Canon calls its CPU: digic) processes more data than older CPUs. More megapixels and more fps in general. And if you shoot JPG, more advanced noise removal.

Very nice concise summary, nothing for me to do here...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
Blake Cook
Blake Cook Senior Member • Posts: 2,926

RedFox88 wrote:

That and improved heat dissipation required for processing high end video.

I suspect the lack of heat dissipation is a limiting factor in older model firmware upgrades particularly if it were to involves video.

-- hide signature --

Blake in Vancouver
Canon and Zeiss Stuff. Mac Stuff & annoying PC & Windows stuff.

Blake Cook's gear list:Blake Cook's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 +11 more
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

Dual Digic processors have frequently been used to handle the data rate in the 1D-series of cameras. Due to their high frame rate, they produce a lot of data each second. Typcially, a single Digic at each time has not been able to handle that, so two CPU's have been working on each half of the image, more or less, to almost double the processing speed.

In addition to the Digic chips used for image processing and rear LCD control, top-of-the-line cameras typically have added a RISC-based CPU for camera sequence control, yet another similar CPU for AF calculations and recently yet another Digic chip for light metering and AF target tracking.

Simpler models let a Digic chip do everything.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +24 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153

Colors get tweaked between DIGIC revs, IE DIGIC5 vs DIGIC6 vs DIGIC7 also.

DIGIC7 although more true to real life IE WYSIWYG, I personally prefer the traditional Canon colors of the DIGIC5 which makes for "better" skin tones.

DIGIC7 in particular adds lens correction capabilities too.

Otherwise I think everybody else here has nailed it.

DIGIC processors also theoretically get process shrinks just like computer silicon does making for less heat and less power draw / more processing power per generation.

DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,722

apersson850 wrote:

Dual Digic processors have frequently been used to handle the data rate in the 1D-series of cameras. Due to their high frame rate, they produce a lot of data each second. Typcially, a single Digic at each time has not been able to handle that, so two CPU's have been working on each half of the image, more or less, to almost double the processing speed.

It needs to be noted that the 5DS/SR is equipped with dual DiG!C processors in the image processing stream as well, presumably also to handle the high data rate.

http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/lineup/5ds/feature-highquality.html

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +17 more
Andy Blanchard Senior Member • Posts: 1,222

apersson850 wrote:

In addition to the Digic chips used for image processing and rear LCD control, top-of-the-line cameras typically have added a RISC-based CPU for camera sequence control, yet another similar CPU for AF calculations and recently yet another Digic chip for light metering and AF target tracking.

Was going to add more or less the same comment.  Canon has in the past debuted a 1-series camera with a dual DIGICs of a previous generation, so 2xDIGIC 6 is still better than 1xDIGIC 7 (say) for raw throughput, plus there may be other dedicated chips for AF, metering, etc.  I think there's also some secondary customisation that goes on for the specific feature sets of a given camera range too, such as in-camera HDR and other "creative" stuff, although I'm not sure whether that entails any physical variation of the core chip design, is entirely a firmware thing, or some combination of the two.

Andy

fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,333

It's always been guff for salesmen. When you get onto these forums with people who really know about cameras, you get next to no talk about this sort of stuff. People will happily talk about fps, buffer, maybe even shutter lag or card write speed. Next to nobody talks about the processors inside. There are so many other real-world specifications that matter more than what the marketing team decided to call the processor this year.

Lightgreen wrote:

Colors get tweaked between DIGIC revs, IE DIGIC5 vs DIGIC6 vs DIGIC7 also.

DIGIC7 although more true to real life IE WYSIWYG, I personally prefer the traditional Canon colors of the DIGIC5 which makes for "better" skin tones.

DIGIC7 in particular adds lens correction capabilities too.

no, the CPU doesn't add those things. That's part of the on board software. Digic is just Canon's CPU name. Higher number names are faster CPUs. CPU doesn't change colors, again that's the on board software

Otherwise I think everybody else here has nailed it.

DIGIC processors also theoretically get process shrinks just like computer silicon does making for less heat and less power draw / more processing power per generation.

Andy Blanchard wrote:

apersson850 wrote:

Was going to add more or less the same comment. Canon has in the past debuted a 1-series camera with a dual DIGICs of a previous generation,

thsts onky due to fps requirements of the camera and nothing else. Compare it to a gaming laptop. There's high end laptop with faster CPU for gaming and more cores, and low cost laptops that are for email and web

so 2xDIGIC 6 is still better than 1xDIGIC 7 (say) for raw throughput, plus there may be other dedicated chips for AF, metering, etc. I think there's also some secondary customisation that goes on for the specific feature sets of a given camera range too, such as in-camera HDR and other "creative" stuff, although I'm not sure whether that entails any physical variation of the core chip design, is entirely a firmware thing, or some combination of the two.

Andy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads