G7X Mk II --First impressions. First niggles.

Started Jun 12, 2017 | Discussions
madra
madra Regular Member • Posts: 104
G7X Mk II --First impressions. First niggles.

I've only just got my greasy mitts on this camera; barely even taken any photos yet. But here are some initial thoughts.

My main camera is an EOS 7D but, like so many others, I was finding I was leaving my DSLR kit at home most of the time and ending up grabbing snaps on my phone --with all the frustrating lack of control that implies. So, I decided to sell the 7D [it's on eBay at the mo'] and get myself a decent quality [and pocketable] compact instead, which would hopefully [to use the language of the bushcraft world] become my EDC*

So, my wishlist was:

• Pocketable
  • Solid construction [because of previous]
  • Large[ish] sensor
  • RAW capture
  • Decent lens [useful zoom range + fast]
  • Swivel / Tilt screen
  • Viewfinder
  • GPS

As ever, it seemed the ideal product was tantalisingly out of reach and every camera I looked at would mean crossing at least one feature off my wishlist. So it came down to trying to weigh up the pros & cons for each. After spending far too long trawling this and other sites for in-depth reviews, I narrowed my choice down to the following:

• Sony RX100 Mk3
  • Panasonic Lumix LF-1
  • Panasonic Lumix TZ100
  • Canon G7X Mk2

In the end, I opted for the Canon for a few reasons:

• Brand familiarity. I'm not a 'fanboi' for any particular brand. [Remember, folks --they don't love you back!] but I do seem to end up buying Canon gear more than any other. So opting for Canon I had a fair idea how the software would be set up and the overall build quality. Although, on a lot of counts Panasonic do seem to deliver more 'bang for buck', I once had a bad experience with a panasonic shaver I bought and [illogical though it is] it's kind of put me off the brand, ever since. Sony, I view a bit like Apple; good quality products, but not averse to slapping an unnecessary extra quid or two onto the purchase price.
  • Lens. The G7X's 24-100 equivalent lens [and ƒ1,8] seemed like a nice combo of versatile range and fast aperture. The RX100 seems a bit unnecessarily limited and, although both Lumixes [or should that be 'Lumices'?] have a longer reach, they're a bit slower as a consequence. I decided I'm more likely to be shooting in low/natural light than doing telephoto work.
  • Screen / Viewfinder. this was probably the decision that had me see-sawing back and forward the most. I came so close to buying the TZ100 on more than one ocassion, because of its viewfinder. But then I'd waver and think of the potential that the Canon's tilt/swivel screen offered for shooting from all kinds of awkward angles. In the end, as I live in England, I went for the versatility of a tilting screen over the usefulness of a viewfinder in bright sunlight [not a problem we run into that often, in this part of the world!]
  • Sensor. All the cameras on my shortlist have a 1" type sensor, with the exception of the Lumix LF-1. This didn't over bother me, as I'm not a pixel peeper. Most of my photography ends up remaining digital, so it wasn't really an issue. However, combined with the LF-1's lack of tilting screen and the fact it's no longer a current model and I'd be having to gamble on a 2nd hand one from eBay did swing me against the LF-1 [although it was an early favourite, on price grounds, if nothing else]

Eventually I came to the conclusion I'd have to make up my mind one way or the other, before the heat death of the universe. So, I decided it would be the G7X Mk2.

Incidentally, if anyone else is based in the UK and planning to buy from amazon, I recommend you check out the amazon.de site. I found the G7X Mk2 was about £120 cheaper to buy from Amazon Germany than Amazon UK. [It also helps if you've got a credit card which doesn't charge you any fees for foreign currency purchases]

As I said at the outset, before all the preceding waffle, I've barely taken more than about a dozen photos with the camera, as I've just been reading through the manual and familiarising myself with the controls. It's been enough to flag up a few niggles though:

• Lack of customisability of the rear control wheel. On my 7D, the rear control wheel nearly always acts in tandem with the aperture ring [read 'front control ring' in G7X terms] such that it's nearly always possible to change aperture and shutter speed without looking at the camera.
  • On the G7X, the rear control wheel seems almost redundant. It works [as expected] to control shutter speed in manual mode, while the front control ring adjusts aperture. But in every other mode, it seems to do nothing. I would have expected at the very least that in programme mode, it could be used to 'shift' exposure by nudging shutter speed up or down to force the camera to select a new aperture, but it doesn't [unless I've missed a trick]
  • Add to this annoyance, the fact that there is actually a dedicated button on the mode dial for what Canon [with Japanese stoicism] calls 'Hybrid Auto' but which, if found on an Android or Apple smartphone would be called something twee like "Special Memories" --a completely gimmicky mode whereby the camera shoots tiny bursts of video around your still shots and then assembles them into a movie 'memento of your day' [Pass the sick bag!]
  • Again, unless I'm missing a trick, it seems daft that [especially on a compact aimed at serious photographers], such a pointless function gets its own dedicated button, whereas something as basic as being able to nudge aperture or shutter speed in programme modes is neglected.
  • WiFi connectivity. One of the other things I would have liked but which none of the cameras on my wishlist provided was GPS. I really like the ability to open up a photo on my phone [or in Lightroom] and see on a map exactly where I took it. Along with several of my other shortlisted cameras though, the G7X did offer the promise of synching GPS data logged on a smartphone with the photos on the camera. So this seemed an OK compromise.
  • Unfortunately though, I'm finding connecting the G7X to my phone to be pretty flakey. When connected the Canon Connect software on my phone seems to work well to control the camera and retrieve images [haven't tried the GPS functions yet]. But, unfortunately the software is annoyingly slow to connect. Every time I try to pair the two, it seems to take several minutes before the software recognises the camera and connects.
  • This has put a bit of a dampener on my notion that, heading out with the camera, I'd just quickly flip open my phone, let the two connect and then be off and away, GPS logging being taken care of and the ability to control the camera from my phone at my disposal. Seems it's going to be more of a 5-10 minute palaver each time.
  • Oh. And I've not been able to get the camera to connect to my laptop at all.
  • I'm also a bit alarmed to see that Canon's own blurb for their Camera Connect app warns that the GPS logging feature will rapidly drain your battery. I dread to think how bad it must be, for them to describe it in such negative terms themselves.
  • Flash vs. Viewfinder. This one always puzzles me. All the reviews on this type of camera bemoan the lack of a viewfinder, but put it down to having to sacrifice features to keep the size down and maintain pocketability. Yet all these cameras include a Mickey Mouse pop-up flash. Why?
  • I can see why you'd put a flash on a point'n'shoot camera aimed at the masses. But does anyone who's a 'serious' amateur photographer ever use the built-in flash on their camera? I know I never do. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but the "rabbit caught in a truck headlights" look has never really appealed to my photographic sensibilities.
  • So why waste precious space on a serious specc'd pocketable camera by sticking a silly wee pop-up flash in there, when you could have used that room to include a viewfinder? Anyone who's a semi-competent photographer will either shoot in natural light, or set up studio lighting.
  • One more area of concern is the lens guard [or however its called]. Although made of metal, it seems very flimsy and, just touching it with your finger is enough to have the 'leaves' start to move apart. For something I'd be wanting to carry in my pocket a lot of the time, I'd be worried about how much protection it's actually giving the lens. [I did have a problem with my old G10, where a piece of grit got through the lens guard and [due to the lack of space between lens guard and glass, actually scraped the lens by being dragged across it by the lend guard opening].

Well, I think I've waffled on enough here --if not more than enough. But, having only had the camera a couple of days, I am feeling the odd twinge of buyer's remorse and having thoughts of returning it. So, getting my thoughts down on [virtual] paper is at least useful to me --if no-one else.

If the camera was £200 -- £250 I'd probably be perfectly satisfied with it. But, at between £400 - £500, I'm feeling a bit more entitled to demand perfection and I'm wondering whether these tiny niggles will go away, or just become more annoying, as I spend more time with the camera. I'm also looking more and more at that stupid pop-up flash and thinking "For this kind of money, I want a viewfinder in there".

Decisions! Decisions!

*[EDC = 'every day carry']

Canon G7 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 6,531
Re: G7X Mk II --First impressions. First niggles.

First off, welcome to the Forum, glad you reached out..!

Even though I do not own the G7XII, it was my second choice, owing only to the super-zoom reach of the G3X, which I own.  The operating system similarities between the two models are such that I can (somewhat) usefully comment and hopefully be of help.

Regarding customizing the rear four-way controller wheel, you might want to have a second look at the PDF instruction manual regarding Reassignments of buttons and the wheel.

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at your "sick bag" comment regarding Hybrid Auto mode.

Regarding WI-FI connectivity, I'm right there with you, it is very hit-and-miss and horribly unpredictable.  I use the NFC feature establish the WI-FI connection between my G3X and my dumb-phone, and that works flawlessly, every time.

Regarding the lens guard, I do not consider any retractable-lens model to be a pocketable camera....too much likelihood of damage to the delicate lens mechanism due to undue stresses on the lens, let alone pocket lint and grit.  I would instead opt for a belt holster.

Regarding the onboard flash vs viewfinder, I have no opinion..!!

Once again, welcome to the Forum, and I hope you retain your G7XII...!!

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
chj001
chj001 Regular Member • Posts: 210

Yes, you cannot directly reassign the rear wheel, but you can do it indirectly. For instance, when in  Tv or Av modes, you can reassign the front ring to a long list of things (I have mine set to Step Zoom) so that the rear wheel is for adjusting shutter speed (in Tv mode) or aperture (in Av mode.)

-- hide signature --

Curtis

chj001's gear list:chj001's gear list
Canon G7 X II
wildplaces
wildplaces Senior Member • Posts: 1,117

Thanks for your insights and detailed experiences with the G7X II....I recently looked at compact cameras and/or mirrorless options to replace an S100 recently lost on a trip to Oregon and the Midwest...Did you buy online, or in a store?

I  walked into a camera store expecting to buy an M5/M6 of G7X II and ended up with the G5X, despite the reviews, due to size, ergonomics, and the beautiful EVF with diopter adjustment...I do have some regrets in terms of functionality and working distance for macro shots, but overall I am happy with my new camera.  I think this is just a reminder that the reviews online are different than first hand experience, and a plug for knowledgeable, small local camera stores (which are disappearing at an alarming rate).

I had to drive and take a ferry for an hour and a half to get there, but well worth the first hand experience with the cameras I had in mind.

madra
OP madra Regular Member • Posts: 104

Chaplain Mark wrote:

...Regarding the lens guard, I do not consider any retractable-lens model to be a pocketable camera....too much likelihood of damage to the delicate lens mechanism due to undue stresses on the lens, let alone pocket lint and grit...

I've been looking for a plain old-fashioned push on rubber lens cap [of the type you get on things like binoculars or old no-brand cameras], which could fit over the front of the lens assembly and offer additional protection while the camera is in my pocket [I measure the control ring , which it would fit over, at 58mm diameter, which is a standard size]

You wouldn't believe how difficult such a thing is to find!

I've trawled Amazon, eBay and AliBaba and it seems like every lens cap in existence these days is the clip-on type [which, of course would be no use in this case]. The only 58mm push-on rubber lens cap I found was on Amazon and was a wallet-wrenching £10.  I don't think even Sony or Apple would have the bare-faced cheek  to ask a tenner for a piece of stamped out plastic which must cost a fraction of a penny to make. But some people had actually bought it and left 4- and 5-star reviews!

I'll take another look at the manual and see if there are any options for customising the rear control wheel. But I didn't notice anything on the first read through --and being a PDF, it's unlikely I turned over two pages stuck together by mistake.

Well, the jury's still out on this one. The good thing about buying from Amazon* is that I have nearly 30 days to 'live with the camera' and see if we're going to get on, before I decide whether or not to return it.

[*That wasn't an endorsement, by the way. Just a consideration to bear in mind, when buying online]

SeaPower New Member • Posts: 14

I to have just bought the Canon G7X mark II to replace my Sony RX100 mark I that started to fail earlier this year (the first digital camera I have owned that has failed). For me the 1” sensor cameras have are a good compromise between picture quality and portability anything larger and I find myself not carrying the camera.

Since I never shoot video my choice was down to the Panasonic TZ100, Panasonic LX10 and the Canon G7X. I decided the tilting screen would be more useful to me so went for the Canon.

The Canon is slightly thicker than my Sony the difference is very small, but the Canon doesn’t fit in the same belt case and I had to purchase a new case. I tend to carry the camera in a belt case rather than in a pocket, but even in the case it will fit in my jacket pocket.

The picture quality is what I expected I do notice a slight softness in the lower left corner at wide angle but this is probably related to the lens. I get the impression that there is quite a bit of variation between lenses on the 1" compacts even within the same brand.

I usually shoot in Program mode and on the Sony in Program mode the lens ring changes the program shift, it does seem strange that on the Canon that it changes the zoom since you have the lever around the shutter that does the same think. I haven’t read the manual in detail yet but can’t see a way of assigning program shift to the lens ring. Searching the manual I can only find one reference to program shift, you half press the shutter, then press the ring function button and then use the rear dial to adjust program shift, which seems a bit long winded.

The other issue I have is the battery going flat. I fully charged my battery then had a day shooting, the battery still seemed fine, but a couple of days later when I took the camera out of the case I found the battery flat. It is possible when putting it in the case I pressed the Wi-Fi button since this does seem to wake the camera up and I am not certain if it powers down from this state. The next time I put the camera away I was careful not to press the Wi-Fi button but a few days later the battery has again lost a couple of bars. My Sony could be put away for several weeks and would still be fully charged.

One of the other reasons I went for the Canon was for a more intuitive shooting experience, I never got to enjoy the Sony with its menu system, and unfortunately I can’t say I am over impressed yet. I will keep the camera since it best suits my needs out of the cameras currently available and as I mentioned above it is early days.

SeaPower's gear list:SeaPower's gear list
Canon G7 X II
geepondy Senior Member • Posts: 2,257

The first GX7 I bought had an issue of draining the battery with non use.  Over the course of three or four days, it would completely drain the battery.  I confirmed the issue was the camera by trying a second battery of which it did the same.  I sent the camera back to Canon under warranty and they replaced the camera.  The new one has no such issues, I can leave the battery in for several weeks without a noticeable discharge so like myself, I think something is wrong with your camera.  Even when it is turned off there is still some sort of parasitic battery drain.

The other issue I have is the battery going flat. I fully charged my battery then had a day shooting, the battery still seemed fine, but a couple of days later when I took the camera out of the case I found the battery flat. It is possible when putting it in the case I pressed the Wi-Fi button since this does seem to wake the camera up and I am not certain if it powers down from this state. The next time I put the camera away I was careful not to press the Wi-Fi button but a few days later the battery has again lost a couple of bars. My Sony could be put away for several weeks and would still be fully charged.

geepondy's gear list:geepondy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G7 X II
madra

If I didn't feel I'd been curmudgeonly enough in my first post, I might have mentioned the battery as another annoyance.

It seems ridiculous that, after all these years and with all these advances in battery technology and software, Canon still stick to this unhelpful 3-segment battery indicator, where, once the battery has gone from indicating full you seem to go from '2 Segments > 1 Segment [red] > Dead' in the space of a few minutes.

Surely it's not too much to expect a percentage indicator, like we all have on our phones?

SeaPower wrote:

...I usually shoot in Program mode and on the Sony in Program mode the lens ring changes the program shift, it does seem strange that on the Canon that it changes the zoom since you have the lever around the shutter that does the same think. I haven’t read the manual in detail yet but can’t see a way of assigning program shift to the lens ring. Searching the manual I can only find one reference to program shift, you half press the shutter, then press the ring function button and then use the rear dial to adjust program shift, which seems a bit long winded...

Now you mention it, I think I remember reading that in passing. It was such a palaver that I didn't commit it to memory, as I expected there would be another more logical way to do this mentioned elsewhere.

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,642
  • Flash vs. Viewfinder. This one always puzzles me. All the reviews on this type of camera bemoan the lack of a viewfinder, but put it down to having to sacrifice features to keep the size down and maintain pocketability. Yet all these cameras include a Mickey Mouse pop-up flash. Why?
  • I can see why you'd put a flash on a point'n'shoot camera aimed at the masses. But does anyone who's a 'serious' amateur photographer ever use the built-in flash on their camera? I know I never do. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but the "rabbit caught in a truck headlights" look has never really appealed to my photographic sensibilities.
  • So why waste precious space on a serious specc'd pocketable camera by sticking a silly wee pop-up flash in there, when you could have used that room to include a viewfinder? Anyone who's a semi-competent photographer will either shoot in natural light, or set up studio lighting.

Flash? Incredibly useful. I use it at least once a year for fill-in  when the subject doesn't have enough light. A viewfinder looks rediculous on a tiny camera.

Lens protection blades? Not enough. You need a push on lens cap to keep dust from coming in the barrels (see some of my other posts).

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm X-A5 +5 more
madra

chj001 wrote:

Yes, you cannot directly reassign the rear wheel, but you can do it indirectly. For instance, when in Tv or Av modes, you can reassign the front ring to a long list of things (I have mine set to Step Zoom) so that the rear wheel is for adjusting shutter speed (in Tv mode) or aperture (in Av mode.)

Yep. That's the way I've got mine set up too. Unfortunately you can't do this for P mode which is probably where I'd want it most.

In principle, being able to customise the two control rings is a great idea, but somehow Canon seem to have contrived to make the number of things you can set the front ring to in each mode always include exactly the things I wouldn't want to set it to. And, like you say, they've only allowed you to exercise any kind of choice over the rear control wheel, by this roundabout [and only partially effective] method.

Coming from a Canon DSLR, I find it a bit unintuitive to have a button [or dial] that constantly changes its function. Most of the time I'd like the rear control wheel to control the shutter speed and the front control ring to control the aperture [even if, in AV and TV modes this would mean one or t'other didn't actually function]. That's where all my muscle memory is.

Unfortunately, manual mode is the only mode where those two controls can be set up this way. The rest of the time, in most modes, I find myself unintentionally adjusting the zoom when I instinctively try and set the aperture by twiddling the front control ring.

Richard Daugaard Regular Member • Posts: 144

Madra

On the G7X, the rear control wheel seems almost redundant. It works [as expected] to control shutter speed in manual mode, while the front control ring adjusts aperture. But in every other mode, it seems to do nothing. I would have expected at the very least that in programme mode, it could be used to 'shift' exposure by nudging shutter speed up or down to force the camera to select a new aperture, but it doesn't [unless I've missed a trick

Hello Madra

Yes I think you missed a trick.

I have 3 Powershots  ( G1xII, G16 and SX60 HS) and they all can do what you want.

1 In P mode press AEL = lock exposure

2  Turn the rear wheel, and the camera will shift exposure. It will change shutter speed and aperture. The amount of light coming to the sensor will be the same.

Faster shutter speed  -  larger aperture  vice versa

-- hide signature --

Richard Daugaard

Richard Daugaard's gear list:Richard Daugaard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon G1 X II Apple iPhone X
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Veteran Member • Posts: 3,990

madra wrote:

• Lens. The G7X's 24-100 equivalent lens [and ƒ1,8] seemed like a nice combo of versatile range and fast aperture. The RX100 seems a bit unnecessarily limited...

There's no free lunch. You don't get 24-100 in the same package as 24-70 without compromising on something.

• Flash vs. Viewfinder. This one always puzzles me. All the reviews on this type of camera bemoan the lack of a viewfinder, but put it down to having to sacrifice features to keep the size down and maintain pocketability. Yet all these cameras include a Mickey Mouse pop-up flash.

The RX100 iii, iv, and v have the popup flash and a popup viewfinder.

• I can see why you'd put a flash on a point'n'shoot camera aimed at the masses. But does anyone who's a 'serious' amateur photographer ever use the built-in flash on their camera?

Yes, I use it to trigger an external flash. It's a necessity on a camera without a hotshoe.

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,517

Kung Fu wrote:

• I can see why you'd put a flash on a point'n'shoot camera aimed at the masses. But does anyone who's a 'serious' amateur photographer ever use the built-in flash on their camera?

Yes, I use it to trigger an external flash. It's a necessity on a camera without a hotshoe.

Yes you can bounce it which works decently indoors if you are only bringing this one small camera so YES there is some use to a small flash if you know what to do with it. Now, on the G7X ii is more limited because you cannot really pull it back far enough like you can on the RX100 V for example but still better than nothing.
As far as EVF, outdoors in bright lights...I will surely like to have one but compared to my main cameras even the EVF on the RX100 V seems just limited and not very inviting to use it in most cases.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Kung Fu

Luis Gabriel Photography wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

Yes you can bounce it which works decently indoors if you are only bringing this one small camera so YES there is some use to a small flash if you know what to do with it.

No. I use it to trigger this:

As far as EVF, outdoors in bright lights...I will surely like to have one but compared to my main cameras even the EVF on the RX100 V seems just limited and not very inviting to use it in most cases.

It's not big, but it's bright and 100% coverage. In a dark theatre, it's invaluable.

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,517

Kung Fu wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

Yes you can bounce it which works decently indoors if you are only bringing this one small camera so YES there is some use to a small flash if you know what to do with it.

It's not big, but it's bright and 100% coverage. In a dark theatre, it's invaluable.

I meant to say that you can ALSO use it as bounce flash besides your comment about triggering.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
madra

Richard Daugaard wrote:

1 In P mode press AEL = lock exposure

2 Turn the rear wheel, and the camera will shift exposure...

Aha! --nice tip. AE Lock on the G7X II is by tapping an on-screen icon. But, otherwise it works exactly as you said.

Thanks!

mrdale Regular Member • Posts: 307

Look here

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/125291-REG/Kaiser_206958_58mm_Push_On_Lens_Cap.html

rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,411

Kung Fu wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

In what situation are you getting away with using that in a dark theater?

Kung Fu

rpm40 wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

I was talking about the EVF.

rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,411

Kung Fu wrote:

rpm40 wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

I was talking about the EVF.

Aaaah, that makes sense. I was wondering how you didn't get tossed out!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads