EM-1 Mark II - show focus point in playback?

Started Jun 12, 2017 | Questions
JerryGNYC Regular Member • Posts: 117
EM-1 Mark II - show focus point in playback?

Hi,

On my Nikon D7100, I was able to press the "OK" button and the camera would zoom in at 100% to the spot where it had focused. Is there a similar function on the Oly? I have not seen anything like that in the manual, but the terminology/search terms may be different (not that I haven't tried various <grin>).

Thanks,

-Jerry

-- hide signature --
 JerryGNYC's gear list:JerryGNYC's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +3 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
reggieandtfe Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: EM-1 Mark II - show focus point in playback?

I don't know if you have to turn it on, but I can see a little green box on mine during playback in the screen that shows the histogram and all the other shooting data. If I then zoom in with one of the scroll wheels it shoots directly to that point.

JLDigitalMedia Regular Member • Posts: 105

I never noticed that! Very helpful, thanks for pointing that out.

John

JLDigitalMedia's gear list:JLDigitalMedia's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +12 more
OP JerryGNYC Regular Member • Posts: 117

reggieandtfe wrote:

I don't know if you have to turn it on, but I can see a little green box on mine during playback in the screen that shows the histogram and all the other shooting data. If I then zoom in with one of the scroll wheels it shoots directly to that point.

Thanks much! I cycled through the different playback modes with the INFO button, I'm not seeing that little green box, but I will take a better look in the playback section of the manual!

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +3 more
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,866

reggieandtfe wrote:

Indeed.  You can also jump straight there with two presses of the Fn1 button, as with the other OM-Ds.  Unlike them, but like earlier Pens (prior to the E-P5 and Pen-F, which are like the other OM-D models) you can also jump straight back out to unmagnified with the OK button (and all of them will also do so with a couple more presses of Fn1).

Helen

JerryGNYC wrote:

reggieandtfe wrote:

Thanks much! I cycled through the different playback modes with the INFO button, I'm not seeing that little green box, but I will take a better look in the playback section of the manual!

You need the Overall option to be ticked in gear menu D1 so that the thumbnail playback surrounded by shot details and compact histograms shows for image review and playback.  Then, first click of Fn1 gives a full screen image and second dives in to the AF point at your last-used magnification.

OK, the OVERALL setting is already checked off.

The Fn1 button provides no apparent function in playback, any screen. Also, I don't see the focus point indicated on the picture.

I'm on firmware 1.2, and FWIW, in shooting mode, I have Fn1 set to home the AF point, and the video record button for the zoom-focus function. Pressing record (zoom) results in a little red check mark in the upper-right side, and a second press turns that off. I don't see that reassigning those buttons would make any difference in playback mode...

Bug in the latest firmware? Does one have to have an eye-detection focus mode enabled? I have it turned off.

-- hide signature --
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,307

JerryGNYC wrote:

Hi,

On my Nikon D7100, I was able to press the "OK" button and the camera would zoom in at 100% to the spot where it had focused. Is there a similar function on the Oly? I have not seen anything like that in the manual, but the terminology/search terms may be different (not that I haven't tried various <grin>).

Thanks,

-Jerry

Press the Arrow for Image Review, press the Info button until you get the screen with the small image and all the shot information.  In the small image you see the green box for the focus point.  Turn the rear dial to the right and it zooms to the focus point.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more

drj3 wrote:

JerryGNYC wrote:

Hi,

On my Nikon D7100, I was able to press the "OK" button and the camera would zoom in at 100% to the spot where it had focused. Is there a similar function on the Oly? I have not seen anything like that in the manual, but the terminology/search terms may be different (not that I haven't tried various <grin>).

Thanks,

-Jerry

Press the Arrow for Image Review, press the Info button until you get the screen with the small image and all the shot information. In the small image you see the green box for the focus point. Turn the rear dial to the right and it zooms to the focus point.

OK... many thanks to all who've answered me. This method works, but only for pictures taken in iAUTO mode! At least with my camera... I'd like to see Olympus implement this function for all still image records modes!

Regards,

-Jerry

-- hide signature --
Helen

JerryGNYC wrote:

OK, the OVERALL setting is already checked off.

The Fn1 button provides no apparent function in playback, any screen. Also, I don't see the focus point indicated on the picture.

So I started to investigate mine ....

I'm on firmware 1.2, and FWIW, in shooting mode, I have Fn1 set to home the AF point, and the video record button for the zoom-focus function. Pressing record (zoom) results in a little red check mark in the upper-right side, and a second press turns that off. I don't see that reassigning those buttons would make any difference in playback mode...

Mine worked on your firmware version and the latest, but I found the issue.  My Fn1 is set to Magnify; on previous models, what it was set to didn't disturb its playback function (in a similar way to how you find that the Rec button sticks doggedly to marking with a red tick and unmasking in playback, no matter what it's set to do in Shooting mode).

Bug in the latest firmware? Does one have to have an eye-detection focus mode enabled? I have it turned off.

Not sure why you're not seeing the target - I'll investigate further.  I don't have eye detection on.

-
"Common sense is on perpetual backorder..."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerrygnyc/
https://www.instagram.com/jerrygnyc/

Helen,

Thank you. I'm probably going to try and reset everything to defaults, tonight. I'll have more time to play... But I'll be watching this thread too!

-Jerry

-- hide signature --
Garry Schaefer Senior Member • Posts: 2,938

This is how it works on my E-M1-1 as well. As a side note, if you, for example, use the single central point, focus and recompose, the thumbnail will show the green box in the centre rather than on the off-centre point which you actually focused on. If you didn't recompose after half-press, everything is as you might like it.

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more

Garry Schaefer wrote:

This is how it works on my E-M1-1 as well. As a side note, if you, for example, use the single central point, focus and recompose, the thumbnail will show the green box in the centre rather than on the off-centre point which you actually focused on. If you didn't recompose after half-press, everything is as you might like it.

Thanks, Garry. Just wish that mine would work as designed.

-Jerry

-- hide signature --

Hi gals & guys,

I did a factory reset it now have NO problem! I will slowly add my customizations back, and if the problem happens again, will report it to you all and to Olympus...

Thanks again for all your help!

-Jerry

-- hide signature --

JerryGNYC wrote:

Hi gals & guys,

I did a factory reset it now have NO problem! I will slowly add my customizations back, and if the problem happens again, will report it to you all and to Olympus...

Thanks again for all your help!

-Jerry

Setting S-AF to mode 3 (back-button focus via AEL/AFL button) kills the function. Now to find out how to report this to Olympus!

-- hide signature --
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 13,703

its works on m em5mk2 , I just press review button and use the rear control dial to zoom in and it zooms in on the focus point no problem at all.

even works on face detect

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5, EM5mk2 my toys.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1

Donald B wrote:

its works on m em5mk2 , I just press review button and use the rear control dial to zoom in and it zooms in on the focus point no problem at all.

even works on face detect

Don

Thanks, Don. It seems I've found a bug in the latest firmware (at least on my camera body).

-Jerry

-- hide signature --
syberman7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320

JerryGNYC wrote:

Setting S-AF to mode 3 (back-button focus via AEL/AFL button) kills the function. Now to find out how to report this to Olympus!

That's probably on purpose. If you use back button focus then you have disconnected the focusing composition from the shooting composition. Showing an overlay of focus box would in many instances be totally unrelated to the actual scene when using back button focus.

Just a theory.

Interesting to know that that's what happens in firmware though. I can imagine that one day in the future I may have been bamboozled by this anomaly myself.

syberman7's gear list:syberman7's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +7 more

Firmware Bug!

I just got off the phone with an Olympus technician, and the results are reproducible. Mode 3 in S-AF mode will not record the AF point that was used. The technician will report this up the chain and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

He also found that if you hold the button down, it will record the AF point. And he admitted that this kind of defeats setting the button to mode 3 in the first place... (I concur <grin>).

Cheers,

-Jerry

-- hide signature --
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,062

JerryGNYC wrote:

Firmware Bug!

I just got off the phone with an Olympus technician, and the results are reproducible. Mode 3 in S-AF mode will not record the AF point that was used. The technician will report this up the chain and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

He also found that if you hold the button down, it will record the AF point. And he admitted that this kind of defeats setting the button to mode 3 in the first place... (I concur <grin>).

Cheers,

-Jerry

It has always been so.

Only the focus point which is active when the photo is taken is recorded. If you focus with the back button and then release the button no focus point is active. The same happens if you use manual focus or lose focus during a C-AF burst... no focus point is active so it doesn't display it.

If you focus and hold down the button (even if focus is locked in S-AF mode) it is still classed as active and the point is recorded in image review.

Nothing wrong with that.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads