Improving the colours on a Dell Inspiron 15-5567 laptop

Started Jun 12, 2017 | Discussions
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,745
Improving the colours on a Dell Inspiron 15-5567 laptop

Has an i7 CPU and a Radeon GPU. Screen is backlit LED (not "blue" backlit, allegedly).

Default colours very cold.

I say "improving" the colours because I am not aspiring to "calibration" with a relatively modest laptop.

Dell had a remote session with me and showed me how to go into the Dell "True Color" dialogue box with 3 sliders - Colour Temperature, Vibrance and Skin Tone. I finished up on max Warm colour, max Vibrance and max Warm Skin Tone.

This gave me colours almost as good as my old Acer LCD TFT 19" monitor ( which I like) and my 2017 UHD 4K 50" TV.

Now we are trying to get it to hold my True Color settings, it loses them when I shut down and restart.

I am getting an HDMI to VGA converter so that I can connect the laptop to the 19" LCD TFT monitor.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
OP Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,745
Re: Improving the colours on a Dell Inspiron 15-5567 laptop

In addition to the Dell True Color sliders, via Control Panel I have found:

1. Intel Graphics Settings > Display > 4 sliders for Brightness, Hue, Contrast and Saturation.

2.  Display > Calibrate Color (a Windows function, apparently).

Also in addition to the Intel Graphics, the laptop has a Radeon Graphics card.

So re improving colours, it seems that there are 4 separate routes.

Very confusing. Shall discuss with Dell when they call shortly.

Mike

Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,491

If there are controls in the Radeon driver for color as there are in desktop versions I believe those settings should be retained at reboot. The graphics panel in that laptop is what it is and it is not optimal for image editing.

Otherwise it seems you are chasing the color palette of the devices you are used to or prefer rather than a more accurate color. I am guessing your Acer is a 6 bit TFT device, the technology itself is problematic for color reproduction, and if several years old may have shifted from its initial factory fresh optimal gamut. Out of the box most HDTVs are set for what the vendor assumes the buyer wants in terms of brightness and contrast and not accuracy.

If this is the only computer gear you have the best thing you can do for yourself might be to buy a quality graphics panel, e.g one of the Dell Ultrasharps, which your notebook can drive.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Austinian
MOD Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,680

bmoag wrote:

If there are controls in the Radeon driver for color as there are in desktop versions I believe those settings should be retained at reboot.

I wonder if Dell is using some kind of additional graphics utility that's doing the color resetting? That was the case on my little Asus ultrabook; the Asus color utility didn't even wait for a reboot--seconds after I'd load my color calibration profile, the display would revert!

I had to locate and uninstall that utility before the Asus would keep my colors correct. Nasty!

If something similar is the case, Dell Support should be aware of it, but I don't assume that any vendor's low-level support is familiar with all the details.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4

Thanks for your comments. I'll look at the Radeon Driver.

I have tormented the Intel Graphics Control Panel and it is limited to Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Hue. The problem is that there is no Color Temperature adjustment, which is what is needed the most. The 4 sliders can be used for R, G, B separately, but this is a bit beyond me.

As I said originally, I do not aspire to "calibration", I just want to get colours that I like, and other people like, and accuracy is irrelevant.

The old LCD TCT 19" monitor is fine for my purposes. If I want lots of detail I have the 2017 50" TV.

So far the best results I have got have been by leaving the Dell's Intel Graphics on Default and applying max warm colour, vibrance and skin tone in True Color. It takes me a few seconds to reset these settings each time I start up, but it hold the settings until I shut down.

This may be as good as I get on the 15.6" backlit LED laptop screen.

I know all about Dell Ultrasharp screens but I don't want them badly enough to spend the money.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Mike

Thanks, my impression is that the Intel Graphics Control Panel holds my settings, it is the True Color that doesn't.

But (please see my last reply above), there is no Color Temperature adjustment in the Intel Graphics Control Panel, unless this can be effected by playing with R, G, B separately, which is a bit beyond me.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Mike

Pablogra New Member • Posts: 1

As some others mentioned, using the Intel Graphics Control Panel works. It is not perfect but might be good enough for most Dell Inspiron 5000 series. 
I got an Inspiron 5667 and is much better than the default settings.
This is what I did (my seetings):
General Settings, adjust this ones first

Thanks very much, but, sorry, I returned the Dell and now have a Lenovo for half the price whose colours are great, I have not had to touch them.

Dell themselves had every chance to help me to improve their colours, but they said they could do no more, and they had to give up.

Thanks again,

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads