D7500 raw files?

Started Jun 12, 2017 | Discussions
wiseone Contributing Member • Posts: 963
D7500 raw files?

Wonder how long it will take Adobe to support D7500 raw?

Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dmcd
dmcd Regular Member • Posts: 241
Re: D7500 raw files?

Just picked one up yesterday and was wondering the same thing.  Pleasantly surprised though when I downloaded Capture NX-D to check things out...hadn't used any version of Nikon's software fore several years so I was stumbling through but it did a nice job rendering my first batch with the 7500.

-- hide signature --

Dennis
www.pbase.com/tileman533

dmcd's gear list:dmcd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +9 more
Jim Hess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,438

wiseone wrote:

Wonder how long it will take Adobe to support D7500 raw?

Just long enough for all the new D7500 users to blame Adobe for not being on top of things and angry because now they have jobs they can't complete for clients because Adobe hasn't done their job. It happens every time a new camera is introduced. It gets old after a while.

supersonic Forum Member • Posts: 58

Since the D500 is supported, I strongly suspect that a slight edit to the Exif of the D7500 files (e.g. using Exiftool) would be all that is needed to start working with them, until support is formally rolled out.

Unless there is some fundamental difference in the way Nikon generate the NEFs in these two cameras, with identical sensors.

Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,028

Very nice!

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
supersonic Forum Member • Posts: 58

supersonic wrote:

Since the D500 is supported, I strongly suspect that a slight edit to the Exif of the D7500 files (e.g. using Exiftool) would be all that is needed to start working with them, until support is formally rolled out.

Unless there is some fundamental difference in the way Nikon generate the NEFs in these two cameras, with identical sensors.

Here is the sort of thing that I am suggesting:

When I first got my Panasonic FZ330 it was not supported, despite having the same lens and sensor as the (supported) FZ200.

A simple Exiftool re-writing of the camera model from FZ330 to FZ200 and all was well.

The command line I used was "exiftool -model="DMC-FZ200" *.rw2"

In the original FZ330 file the only difference between an FZ330 RAW and and FZ200 RAW was that it said: Model: DMC-FZ330 instead of DMC-FZ200.

I established this by comparing the outputs when I inspected files from the FZ200 and the FZ330 and compared the differences.

I did this using a GUI interface, but you could just use a command such as exiftool filename.rw2 -s to see the data.

Perhaps something as simple as this might be enough to do the trick. Or not.

mitch_i Forum Member • Posts: 96

I really like using Photoshop CS6 with ACR, but it looks like it will never be updated to handle D7500 RAW files.

Here are some solutions:

(a) Learn and use RawTherapee.
(b) Learn and use Nikon Capture NX-D.
(c) Learn and use Topaz Studio, free version.

Instead of those, I'd rather use Adobe DNG Converter, but it doesn't support D7500 files yet. So I chose a complicated solution.

(1) Download ExifTool and unzip the executable to a new folder, maybe D7500Temp. Rename the executable to remove the (-k).

(2) Create a .bat file by opening Notepad (in Windows) and typing:

exiftool -model="NIKON D500" *.nef

(3) Save that file as text, then change the extension to .bat and move it into the D7500Temp folder.

(4) Drop some D7500 RAW files into the D7500Temp folder.

(5) Double-click the .bat file. Now you have new, altered .nef files as well as .original files.

(6) Download and install Adobe DNG Converter.

(7) Run it and convert the altered .nef files. That gives you .dng files, which CS6 ACR will handle.

Maybe it would be simpler to use solution a, b, or c.

mitch_i's gear list:mitch_i's gear list
Canon G9 X II Nikon D7500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004)
Jim Hess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,438

This is just my opinion, so it isn't worth very much. You can jump through all these hoops to create hacks to open your NEF files from the D7500 in Lightroom or Camera Raw. I understand it has the same sensor as the D500. But that doesn't mean that the NEF files will process the same. Adobe will eventually release their new updates that will support the D7500, and the support will be specifically for that model. I know it's frustrating right now. Seems to me that if this was a new Canon model with dozens of complaints every day there might be an update coming more quickly. But, frankly, there haven't been all that many comments about the D7500. And it isn't the only new model being released. If you want to play around with different solutions to get your files open now, go ahead. It might be a good solution. But don't be surprised if you have to do a lot of reworking when the new versions are finally released. I don't know anymore than anyone else. I'm just saying that you might be happier if you exercise a little more patience.

Yes, I'm also concerned about my D7500 files being handled as D500 files. I guess we'll find out.

Most of the steps I listed are one-time procedures. After you have it set up, it's an easy routine.

Mkoneeye New Member • Posts: 21

Much as I'm also waiting for Adobe to catch up, I'm having a great time learning how to get great SOOC shots from the D7500. Figure it will only help processing once I can dig into those NEFs.

As always, YMMV.

My seven-step procedure above is now obsolete. For those still using CS6 or other software that doesn't support the D7500, the Adobe DNG Converter has just been updated.

Download and install the converter.

Run it to convert your D7500 NEF files to DNG.

Open the DNG files in ACR, and process them as usual.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads