Help! Does anyone having MC-11 know how to get older version of firmware?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
yangz Regular Member • Posts: 138
Help! Does anyone having MC-11 know how to get older version of firmware?

My EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS II USM was working well with my A7II until last night I updated the firmware of MC-11 adapter to the latest version released in June.

Now once the lens looses focus, it refuses to try to gain focus again, until turning the camera off and back on. Is there a way to recover the older version of firmware back to MC-11 or have to wait till next firmware update?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
OP yangz Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Help! Does anyone having MC-11 know how to get older version of firmware?

This issue is not only for 70-300 f4-5.6 IS II USM, but also for my EF 50 f1.8 STM and EF 40 f2.8 STM.

Seems it happens when the lens is trying to gain focus, say at low contrast area, and motor moves to its extreme position, and just stops there. Anyone observed the same issue?

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,149

yangz wrote:

This issue is not only for 70-300 f4-5.6 IS II USM, but also for my EF 50 f1.8 STM and EF 40 f2.8 STM.

Seems it happens when the lens is trying to gain focus, say at low contrast area, and motor moves to its extreme position, and just stops there. Anyone observed the same issue?

Interesting. I will have to check with my 35mm 1.4 L ii and 300mm 2.8 non is. I am guessing my Sigma 135mm will be fine...or at least I hope so lol

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +9 more
OP yangz Regular Member • Posts: 138

Luis Gabriel Photography wrote:

yangz wrote:

Interesting. I will have to check with my 35mm 1.4 L ii and 300mm 2.8 non is. I am guessing my Sigma 135mm will be fine...or at least I hope so lol

I didn't notice the same problem with older firmware though....

tytan1979 New Member • Posts: 2

I noticed the same issue with mine too. Updated to the latest firmware as I just bought the adaptor. The lens will be stucked at the extreme end. No need to power cycle the camera. Just need to manually move the focus away from the extreme and the camera will focus again. Hope they fix this issue soon.

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,149

tytan1979 wrote:

I noticed the same issue with mine too. Updated to the latest firmware as I just bought the adaptor. The lens will be stucked at the extreme end. No need to power cycle the camera. Just need to manually move the focus away from the extreme and the camera will focus again. Hope they fix this issue soon.

I need to try that fix but at least I did notice that with my 300mm 2.8 non IS. My quick solution is to switch from AF to MF and back and it works again.  I will play with it more tomorrow.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +9 more
vett93
vett93 Senior Member • Posts: 3,680

Luis Gabriel Photography wrote:

tytan1979 wrote:

I need to try that fix but at least I did notice that with my 300mm 2.8 non IS. My quick solution is to switch from AF to MF and back and it works again. I will play with it more tomorrow.

Guess I won't update the firmware for my MC-11 yet. Thanks for the warning.

-- hide signature --

"Keep calm and take photos"
Photography enthusiast, from 12mm to 500mm

vett93's gear list:vett93's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Dirk W Senior Member • Posts: 2,611

I have the same problem with the Canon 70-300 L. HELP!!

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony a6300 Canon G9 X Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +11 more
tytan1979 New Member • Posts: 2

Yes, switching from AF to MF and back again works too. Hope Sigma fixes this issue soon.

nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,935

tytan1979 wrote:

Yes, switching from AF to MF and back again works too. Hope Sigma fixes this issue soon.

has anyone reported this?

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM +6 more
WaCkySongs New Member • Posts: 12

I also notice that my 70300L on A7ii with MC11 stop focus at somewhere where the focus ring gets its most far destination.

If I manually turn the focus ring, it will continue focus. But when the contrast is low, it would stop again.

Hope Sigma would solve this problem next firmware.

WaCkySongs's gear list:WaCkySongs's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D3300 Sony Alpha 7 II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Dirk W Senior Member • Posts: 2,611

WaCkySongs wrote:

I also notice that my 70300L on A7ii with MC11 stop focus at somewhere where the focus ring gets its most far destination.

If I manually turn the focus ring, it will continue focus. But when the contrast is low, it would stop again.

I really hope they fix it ASAP! I want to use my 70-300 L in the summer and it is sad if Sigma destroys my plans.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony a6300 Canon G9 X Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +11 more
kelly15
kelly15 Regular Member • Posts: 399

Dirk W wrote:

WaCkySongs wrote:

I really hope they fix it ASAP! I want to use my 70-300 L in the summer and it is sad if Sigma destroys my plans.

Same here,

with 40 2.8 Canon whose quality is top level on A7Rii .

I know it is not officially supported but many Sigma sales are due to this unofficial compatibility.

Please provide asap.

kelly15's gear list:kelly15's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +5 more
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 2,140

Dirk W wrote:

WaCkySongs wrote:

Perhaps - don't cheap out on getting access to Metabones "green" mode and actually buy Metabones.  At least as Bo-Ming has gotten a bit more aggressive with updates, he's been including at least one version's worth of downgrades with each release (and if you keep your older firmware files around, nothing prevents you from downgrading further).

When this hit SAR I got worried, but since it only affects those using non-GV lenses - well that's what my Metabones has always been for.  

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
kelly15

Entropy512 wrote:

Dirk W wrote:

WaCkySongs wrote:

Perhaps - don't cheap out on getting access to Metabones "green" mode and actually buy Metabones. At least as Bo-Ming has gotten a bit more aggressive with updates, he's been including at least one version's worth of downgrades with each release (and if you keep your older firmware files around, nothing prevents you from downgrading further).

When this hit SAR I got worried, but since it only affects those using non-GV lenses - well that's what my Metabones has always been for.

Orrible, this firmware problem affect my Canon 16-35 f.4 also.

Sigma please correct asap or t least tell un how to revert to an accepteble firmware version for Canon lenses.

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +5 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,331

yangz wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing with my Tamron 24-70/2.8; but I'm pretty sure I saw that with FW 1.05 as well. The "extreme position" part comes up because the lens cannot reach infinity below 30mm or so on the MC-11.

-- hide signature --

A7-II with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T Sony Alpha 7 II +7 more
arob Contributing Member • Posts: 538

No issues with the Sigma 35mm Art, a7rii and the mc-11. Operates as usual. I will test the 85mm art and 135mm art in a few hours at an event..

-- hide signature --

www.a2rob.net

arob's gear list:arob's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony Alpha 7R II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 1,904

My 40mm STM no longer focuses, but my Canon 16-35mm f2.8 III and Canon 35mm f1.4 II focus fine... and, of course, I updated both of my MC-11's.  

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a9 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +12 more
kelly15

SQLGuy wrote:

yangz wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing with my Tamron 24-70/2.8; but I'm pretty sure I saw that with FW 1.05 as well. The "extreme position" part comes up because the lens cannot reach infinity below 30mm or so on the MC-11.

-- hide signature --

A7-II with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); NEX-7 converted to IR.

I'm quite sure the 1.05 worked fine.

I bought the 40mm few days ago and tested with mc-11 and 1.05 it was perfectly fine.

Then updated to 1.06 and there are these problems.

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,331

kelly15 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

yangz wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'm quite sure the 1.05 worked fine.

I bought the 40mm few days ago and tested with mc-11 and 1.05 it was perfectly fine.

Then updated to 1.06 and there are these problems.

Interesting. Can you be more specific/testable/repeatable about the problem you're seeing with the STM40, so I can try to duplicate it?

Update: I just tried a bunch of near and far testing with the MC-11(1.06) and STM40 on A7-II with FW 4.0. I tried AF-C and AF-S, with center and wide AF areas. It worked very well. I could make it lose focus, with the right subject, or with a big switch from far/bright to near/dim, but it never gave up on focusing. In short, I was not able to duplicate the issue with the STM40 that I can easily trigger with the Tamron 24-70/2.8.

-- hide signature --

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T Sony Alpha 7 II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads