Are Godox and Neewer the same flashes simply branded differently?

Started Jun 8, 2017 | Discussions
Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,451

It appears that they are, but can't find anyone who has written that down with confidence.

I shoot Sony and have two of their flashes with TTL and HSS, but HSS is limited to indoors basically with them.  Outside the sun can negate their system or the proverbial setup to accommodate the desired shot always seems to hide the light receptor.

I don't use flash outside all the time, but when I do the 10 meter limit between commander and slave on the Sony with TTL suddenly is too short.

Godox especially has a majority of good reviews with one person claiming poor TTL under 2.8, but many images by others tends to negate that complaint by one.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7R II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +7 more
exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263
Re: Are Godox and Neewer the same flashes simply branded differently?

Old Pirate wrote: poor TTL under 2.8,

TTL is not poor under 2.8... what happens is - firmware on transmitter (Sony model) has a bug ... so it underexposes exactly 1 stop for f2.8 vs f4.0, exactly 2 stops for f1.4 vs f4.0... for now you can remember that under exposure is directly proportional to how wide lens is open wider than f4.0... otherwise TTL works as intended... if you have a non Sony camera then no issues... plus if you just need HSS then you don't need TTL at all - shoot M mode

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,386

HSS reduces the power of the flash by 2 stops or more. This means using a bare flash that is close to the subject in most cases.

HSS only works in an Auto Exposure mode with most (all?) cameras so you need to learn how to use Exposure Compensation and Flash Exposure Compensation to fine tune the ambient and flash exposures.

Make sure the optical sensor of the off-camera flash (usually the front of the battery compartment section of the flash) is aimed at the master flash, which is usually on-camera, to make optical triggering as reliable as possible.  For real reliability go to RF triggers.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
OP Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,451

Thanks guys, but my main question was if Neewer and Godox were the same flashes under different names and numbers.

Sony a77 II Sony a7R II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +7 more
mikedpe Forum Member • Posts: 65

Old Pirate wrote:

Thanks guys, but my main question was if Neewer and Godox were the same flashes under different names and numbers.

Yes
Mike

Thanks Mike.  Flash setups are subjective I realize.  I use a handheld meter when I go manual for accuracy and quick setup, but I simply want a ttl, hss combo that will go beyond 10 meters for outdoors.  Neewer seems to offer better prices and packages than Godox.

Bradrobb
Bradrobb Contributing Member • Posts: 984

Hi

Godox TT350S Flash

Look at this set up for your Sony camera.

I have this and it works great. I liked it so much I bought a second flash.

Brad

-- hide signature --

I go through life shooting Snap Shots.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradrobb/

Bradrobb's gear list:Bradrobb's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha NEX-3 A3000 Sony a5000 +10 more
Eric Gill Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Yes, they are the same if they look the same. Godox rebranded: Neewer, Cheetah, Adorama, MoLight and others. It's a good idea to go with dealers a little more local to you just in case of problems.

I've never been a fan of using TTL, but then I'm coming from Canon and hated the inconsistency with the expensive brand-name ETTL speedlights I bought. The V860II's TTL  has worked to a treat so far, but I haven't used it for HSS or faster than f/4.5 as of yet.

The lithium battery and built-in commander unit are wonderful.

-- hide signature --

Siiddas doibmet Sámemusea ja Davvi-Sámi luondduguovddáš. Siida lea deaivvadanbáiki ja čájáhusguovddáš oktan kultur- ja luonddučájáhusaiguin.

Has the Neewer released a version of the Godox v860ii with a lithium battery that Godox has?  I can't find it if they do.

I live in a rural area and camera shops are not down the street, but your advice is sound.

exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263

Sailor Blue wrote:

HSS only works in an Auto Exposure mode with most (all?) cameras

BS...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
kli
kli Senior Member • Posts: 2,714

Old Pirate wrote:

Yes. And no.

Like most rebrandings, it's not a 1:1 correspondence.  While some Neewer flashes are rebranded Godoxes, not every Neewer flash is a rebranded Godox. And not everything with the Neewer brand on it is made by Godox.  Similarly, not all the Adorama Flashpoint-branded lights are Godox-made either (some are known to be Jinbei).

The generic house-brands, like Neewer, basically gather together a whole bunch of items from a variety of manufacturers to sell under one label.

For example, some models are known to be Godox units. But something like the Neewer 565EX is not, as far as I can tell.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,454

Godox is an actual manufacturer with a factory

try to find what you want from them through a local seller so there is actually a warranty.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +23 more
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,491

Newer hasn't technically released anything. It's a marketing company that buys and rebrands.  As for the price break, there's been some discussion that other marketers of Godox-produced gear, Adorama Flashpoint, B&H Bolt, Interfit and Cheetahstand to name the ones I'm most familiar with, have more stringent quality control tolerances and/or offer better warranties.

Given the sheer quantity of gear produced, I'm not sure how the QC claims are realized but better warranties are worth it, in my mind.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,491

I consider Flashpoint a house brand for Adorama and Bolt a house brand for B&H. Is neeer actually anyone's house brand, or just a marketing company (similar to the one that traded off the once iconic Vivitar name).

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads