Finally got the 85mm. Holy. Cow.

Started May 26, 2017 | Discussions
ttbek Senior Member • Posts: 4,827
Re: Finally got the 85mm. Holy. Cow.

flip 21 wrote:

M43ForMe wrote:

This thing is amazing. It does focus slower, but I really don't mind it. Apologies if this isn't a great flower picture, I'm not one to photograph flowers, just snapped something on the way inside the house.

I know the NX platform lacks the great long teles, but with this, my 45mm and my 16-50S, I feel like I have more than enough coverage for me.

Hi, is it too heavy? I mean, can you put in a tripod, without having to be closeby so it won't fall? Thanks

Errr, depends on your tripod.... with a decent tripod you can put a goat on it without worrying.   My own tripod isn't considered a super good one but is rated for 15 Kg.   This lens with NX1 and battery grip plus external monitor and some other jazz all would still be a long shot from 15 Kg.  I don't think I've seen even a cheapo tripod that would have any problem with this amount of weight. ... so long as the legs are positioned properly (even the best tripods have 3 legs ;P).

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more

VisualFX wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-camera-for-every-parent-1672235946

Here is an article from a couple years ago, about recommendations for cameras for "fast moving kids". Most recommended are cameras like LX100, RX100, G9X. He states too, that a DSLR can provide the best AF for kids, but can be overkill.

But to each their own. In my local camera shop, I've heard a couple "mom's" ask the employee for camera for fast moving kids. They come back with one of these pocket cameras, but in the end the "mom" ends up with a DSLR for whatever reason.

Bet it is the focus speed 9/10 times   Though sure.... we could also pretend like you are that it is as a status symbol they wanted from the start.... but I don't see how they're being convinced to go P&S first then.

Even small cheap DSLRs (e.g. 100D) do really deliver more for AF in challenging conditions than pretty much any but the very latest and much more expensive MILC cameras.

Oh well, if you got the money and want to overspend, then do it. Just don't complain afterwards that you are broke.

1200D. ..100D. ...KS-2..FZ1000. ... A6000. ... 80D.... A9. ... 1DX there's a range of options at many price levels.  ...My lack of Nikon knowledge is showing.

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,207

Whoever advising those cameras for fast moving targets is incompetent. The reaction time of these cameras is simply insufficient, let alone the af precision.

If I want to take a picture on my daughter running and jumping towards me, I want to be able to focus her closest eye, have the eyelashes in focus and have a wonderful bokeh.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
M43ForMe
OP M43ForMe Regular Member • Posts: 491

VisualFX wrote:

Here is an article from a couple years ago, about recommendations for cameras for "fast moving kids". Most recommended are cameras like LX100, RX100, G9X. He states too, that a DSLR can provide the best AF for kids, but can be overkill.

But to each their own. In my local camera shop, I've heard a couple "mom's" ask the employee for camera for fast moving kids. They come back with one of these pocket cameras, but in the end the "mom" ends up with a DSLR for whatever reason. Oh well, if you got the money and want to overspend, then do it. Just don't complain afterwards that you are broke.

LOL Gizmodo. The article wasn't aimed at people who know what they're doing with an ILC camera, and have limited photography experience.
Ironically, the one they recommended for sports was the 7D Mark II. So for fast motion (fast moving kids), they still recommend a real camera.

I.e. the very article you linked to support your original position ended up undermining it.

And for the record, those of us with children generally want the pictures of our children to be the best ones we take.

VisualFX Senior Member • Posts: 1,187

markyboy81 wrote:

VisualFX wrote:

But to each their own. In my local camera shop, I've heard a couple "mom's" ask the employee for camera for fast moving kids. They come back with one of these pocket cameras, but in the end the "mom" ends up with a DSLR for whatever reason. Oh well, if you got the money and want to overspend, then do it. Just don't complain afterwards that you are broke.

Who's complaining they're broke?!

I guess if you don't know much about photography a point of shoot may be better but if you have some idea what you're doing an ILC will offer a lot of advantages. A lot of photography of kids is portraiture where it's nice to have the subject isolated from the background, and this isn't really possible with most point and shoots.

I seem to be one of the few posting professional images on this forum. I dont see you or any others posting anything else. So what are people supposed to suspect then? I have photos in my gallery of shoots, yet others don't. Yeah an ILC offers advantages, so does an iphone or any cell phone. If you know what you are doing, you can get great photos with an iphone. Telling mom and pop to buy a DSLR just to take photos of fast moving kids is not going to improve mom and pops photography skills.

VisualFX's gear list:VisualFX's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,437

VisualFX wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

VisualFX wrote:

I guess if you don't know much about photography a point of shoot may be better but if you have some idea what you're doing an ILC will offer a lot of advantages. A lot of photography of kids is portraiture where it's nice to have the subject isolated from the background, and this isn't really possible with most point and shoots.

I seem to be one of the few posting professional images on this forum. I dont see you or any others posting anything else. So what are people supposed to suspect then? I have photos in my gallery of shoots, yet others don't. Yeah an ILC offers advantages, so does an iphone or any cell phone. If you know what you are doing, you can get great photos with an iphone. Telling mom and pop to buy a DSLR just to take photos of fast moving kids is not going to improve mom and pops photography skills.

You're right, I'm not sharing any photos in my gallery. However, the vast majority of my photos are of my 2 year old son and I don't feel comfortable sharing them online. They're not professional photos as I'm not selling them to anyone (my wife wouldn't be too keen to pay!)

I'm not a great photographer, but I know enough to realise that having a large sensor camera will get me much better images of my son,images that I couldn't recreate on any smartphone or point and shoot.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +13 more
Krazyheaven Regular Member • Posts: 409

VisualFX wrote:

I've had a kid for 5 years and my cameras for 2 years. One of the factors that pushed me into getting one was the kid. And yes, it was bank breaking for me.

I couldn't be happier. Signed up for classes. Practiced with friends and family. Learned I was a poor editor but love photography and I'm going to keep with it. At least until my Samsung gear no longer holds up.

Edit:

I had and have smartphones and I have a point and shoot. Guess what? I wish I would have made this jump sooner. Even if it meant downgrading my phone. Can't say I use it as much as other things I have.

M43ForMe
OP M43ForMe Regular Member • Posts: 491

VisualFX wrote:

I seem to be one of the few posting professional images on this forum. I dont see you or any others posting anything else. So what are people supposed to suspect then? I have photos in my gallery of shoots, yet others don't.

Wow...

Yeah an ILC offers advantages, so does an iphone or any cell phone. If you know what you are doing, you can get great photos with an iphone. Telling mom and pop to buy a DSLR just to take photos of fast moving kids is not going to improve mom and pops photography skills.

Then why not just run your professional outfit from your cellphone?

Clearly your 'professional' snobbery has you feeling that the mere non-commissioned peasants are not worthy of using equipment the pros use. That's what all this boils down to. I guess anyone not on the PGA tour should stick to wooden drivers, and everyone not on a professional racetrack should drive an economy sedan.

flip 21
flip 21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

ttbek wrote:

flip 21 wrote:

M43ForMe wrote:

This thing is amazing. It does focus slower, but I really don't mind it. Apologies if this isn't a great flower picture, I'm not one to photograph flowers, just snapped something on the way inside the house.

I know the NX platform lacks the great long teles, but with this, my 45mm and my 16-50S, I feel like I have more than enough coverage for me.

Hi, is it too heavy? I mean, can you put in a tripod, without having to be closeby so it won't fall? Thanks

Errr, depends on your tripod.... with a decent tripod you can put a goat on it without worrying. My own tripod isn't considered a super good one but is rated for 15 Kg. This lens with NX1 and battery grip plus external monitor and some other jazz all would still be a long shot from 15 Kg. I don't think I've seen even a cheapo tripod that would have any problem with this amount of weight. ... so long as the legs are positioned properly (even the best tripods have 3 legs ;P).

Thanks for replying ttbek The only thing is that, is to use with the NX500. The tripod is decent, I guess...

flip 21 wrote:

ttbek wrote:

flip 21 wrote:

M43ForMe wrote:

Errr, depends on your tripod.... with a decent tripod you can put a goat on it without worrying. My own tripod isn't considered a super good one but is rated for 15 Kg. This lens with NX1 and battery grip plus external monitor and some other jazz all would still be a long shot from 15 Kg. I don't think I've seen even a cheapo tripod that would have any problem with this amount of weight. ... so long as the legs are positioned properly (even the best tripods have 3 legs ;P).

Thanks for replying ttbek The only thing is that, is to use with the NX500. The tripod is decent, I guess...

I don't think it will give you any problems.  It has some heft to it, but it isn't a long lens so it isn't putting the center of gravity far away in the way a Canon 400 f/5.6 would (still not that heavy but the length gives it some mechanical advantage as a lever against the tripod if you were to mount the camera on the tripod instead of the lens).  if you are concerned about it, then consider spreading the tripod legs a bit further than usual and if your tripod has a hook you could hang additional weight under the center to keep it planted.

VisualFX wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

VisualFX wrote:

I seem to be one of the few posting professional images on this forum.

I do appreciate the photos posted here.

I dont see you or any others posting anything else. So what are people supposed to suspect then? I have photos in my gallery of shoots, yet others don't.

Mine are in my DeviantArt gallery,... but I should indeed update more often.  And no, I am not paid ;P

Yeah an ILC offers advantages, so does an iphone or any cell phone. If you know what you are doing, you can get great photos with an iphone. Telling mom and pop to buy a DSLR just to take photos of fast moving kids is not going to improve mom and pops photography skills.

Until rather recently most cell phones didn't offer manual controls, you have to be selective about the model to get that.  If I want that I would need to buy a new phone.  A 100D with two kit lenses comes in cheaper than many flagship phones with the nicer camera features of them..... I think manual settings go a long way towards improving one's photography, so for the time being I do indeed recommend DSLRs to moms and pops. Two people have been asking me for recommendations recently, looking with budgets of 550 and 700 respectively.  To get into a current model MILC like A6000 with kit lenses is more. .... I don't know about you but I do see the entry level models as cost effective.   That said, there are some nice exceptions in the point and shoot ish category, but both of these people are set on interchangeable lenses.    I agree that you can get great shots with a cell phone, but I think your thinking on it is a bit out of order.  I mean, to do so would require even more skill and they are beginners. ..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads