Finally got the 85mm. Holy. Cow.

Started May 26, 2017 | Discussions
M43ForMe
M43ForMe Regular Member • Posts: 493
Finally got the 85mm. Holy. Cow.

This thing is amazing. It does focus slower, but I really don't mind it. Apologies if this isn't a great flower picture, I'm not one to photograph flowers, just snapped something on the way inside the house.

I know the NX platform lacks the great long teles, but with this, my 45mm and my 16-50S, I feel like I have more than enough coverage for me.

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208
Re: Finally got the 85mm. Holy. Cow.

And the 50-150 is even better

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
M43ForMe
OP M43ForMe Regular Member • Posts: 493

tecnoworld wrote:

Y'all are going to put me in the poor house!

kattoufcy Regular Member • Posts: 165

yes it's  amazing. got mine last week.  not too slow but faster than the 30mm. amazing bokeh great for portraits.

VisualFX Senior Member • Posts: 1,187

tecnoworld wrote:

50-150 has different use, then this 85mm prime. Can't make a direct comparison.

VisualFX's gear list:VisualFX's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
tecnoworld

50-150 at 100+ is an outstanding portrait lens if you are a bit away from the subject.

Plus it's af is incredibly fast.

I don't need incredible fast AF for portraits. In fact, I'm fine with using my Asahi Pentax 100mm, 135mm, and 300mm vintage lenses which are only manual focus. They work fine for portraits, landscape, etc. If I would need to photograph sports or fast moving objects, then yes, the 50-150S would come in handy.

Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
tecnoworld

I wanted to say that even if 50-150 is a sports lens, it can also be used as a portrait lens with incredible results.

herc182 Regular Member • Posts: 355

tecnoworld wrote:

I wanted to say that even if 50-150 is a sports lens, it can also be used as a portrait lens with incredible results.

owned both and agree that 85mm and 50-150mm are excellent portrait lenses. I appreciated the latter more because of its faster AF for a fast moving kid where expressions change often (as well as head position!).

tecnoworld

exactly my point. Two outstanding lenses from the "IQ" point of view. 50-150 adds versatility thanks to the larger focal range, OIS and fast AF.

85mm possibly has a slightly better bokeh (even stepped at 2.8)

The problem I have with the 50-150, is f/2.8 aperture. It is okay, but certainly not as good as the 85mm f/1.4. No way you can get the same bokeh out of the zoom. Just compare photos from each and you will see the difference. If I get the 50-150S, it will be to use as a landscape lens, to shoot more distant objects, but not for the bokeh.

herc182 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

owned both and agree that 85mm and 50-150mm are excellent portrait lenses. I appreciated the latter more because of its faster AF for a fast moving kid where expressions change often (as well as head position!).

Hahaha. Here we go with someone with a "fast moving kid" again. Why on earth would you spend that much money on camera and glass to just take photos of kids? Especially when a point and shoot with a fixed lens, or a "big zoom" ILC camera would be the better choice. I just don't understand some mom and pops buying these pro-level cameras for just kid photos. I guess if you have the money, sure go ahead. But not exactly the best choice IMO.

herc182 Regular Member • Posts: 355

VisualFX wrote:

herc182 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

Hahaha. Here we go with someone with a "fast moving kid" again. Why on earth would you spend that much money on camera and glass to just take photos of kids? Especially when a point and shoot with a fixed lens, or a "big zoom" ILC camera would be the better choice. I just don't understand some mom and pops buying these pro-level cameras for just kid photos. I guess if you have the money, sure go ahead. But not exactly the best choice IMO.

You make the most ridiculous statements.

1 - "just to take photos of kids" - I have been taking photos for approximately 14 years. I have had a child for 3 of those. Until I had a child, I used wideangle mostly. Not great for portraits normally...so my needs changed.

2 - A point and shoot will not yield the same quality photos (fact). But you CAN take decent shots.

3 - "for just kid photos" - again, see point 1

I guess there are a lot of disillusioned photographers out there making good money on baby/child photos - people would pay top dollar for someone to rock up with an iphone to take photos of their kids.

Finally (IMO - and I won't dignify further preposterous statements with a response) - 80% of the people I know DO take photos of their kids with P&S and phones. 80% of those photos are horse sh**e and I am constantly complimented on the quality of my photos and whether I could take photos of their children.

Your opinion is valid to you - fair enough.

brownie112 Regular Member • Posts: 487

VisualFX wrote:

Hahaha. Here we go with someone with a "fast moving kid" again. Why on earth would you spend that much money on camera and glass to just take photos of kids?

Sorry mate that is ridiculous. I would personally rather spend a lot of money on a camera capable of taking beautiful professional-ish photos of my (future) kids than some silly seagull flying around somewhere in the sky or a duck sitting around pooping everywhere or photos of a brick wall to pixel peep sharpness or what not.

Especially when a point and shoot with a fixed lens, or a "big zoom" ILC camera would be the better choice. I just don't understand some mom and pops buying these pro-level cameras for just kid photos.

My facebook is slowly filling with those moms and pops who never used to think of a dslr, but really getting into it for their kids. They get an entry level dslr with a 50/1.8 and boom their infant/kid photos look 100 times better. But slowly you can see they move on to mid level to mirrorless and so on.

I guess if you have the money, sure go ahead. But not exactly the best choice IMO.

There is something about the Samsung 85/1.4, almost all the portrait photos that come out of it look smooth and warm.

Back to topic, it makes perfect sense in spending money and investing $$$$ in your own kid's photos.

brownie112's gear list:brownie112's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
flip 21
flip 21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

M43ForMe wrote:

This thing is amazing. It does focus slower, but I really don't mind it. Apologies if this isn't a great flower picture, I'm not one to photograph flowers, just snapped something on the way inside the house.

I know the NX platform lacks the great long teles, but with this, my 45mm and my 16-50S, I feel like I have more than enough coverage for me.

Hi, is it too heavy? I mean, can you put in a tripod, without having to be closeby so it won't fall? Thanks

Kisaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,155

brownie112 wrote:

VisualFX wrote:

Hahaha. Here we go with someone with a "fast moving kid" again. Why on earth would you spend that much money on camera and glass to just take photos of kids?

Sorry mate that is ridiculous. I would personally rather spend a lot of money on a camera capable of taking beautiful professional-ish photos of my (future) kids than some silly seagull flying around somewhere in the sky or a duck sitting around pooping everywhere or photos of a brick wall to pixel peep sharpness or what not.

Especially when a point and shoot with a fixed lens, or a "big zoom" ILC camera would be the better choice. I just don't understand some mom and pops buying these pro-level cameras for just kid photos.

My facebook is slowly filling with those moms and pops who never used to think of a dslr, but really getting into it for their kids. They get an entry level dslr with a 50/1.8 and boom their infant/kid photos look 100 times better. But slowly you can see they move on to mid level to mirrorless and so on.

I guess if you have the money, sure go ahead. But not exactly the best choice IMO.

There is something about the Samsung 85/1.4, almost all the portrait photos that come out of it look smooth and warm.

Back to topic, it makes perfect sense in spending money and investing $$$$ in your own kid's photos.

Well said B112, all mammals value their young higher than seagulls!

wpstl Senior Member • Posts: 1,100

VisualFX wrote:

herc182 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

You are assuming people who photograph kids only photograph kids. Stupid. People with children can also enjoy landscape, sports, etc. Quit being an contrarian for no reason other than to create arguments.

-- hide signature --

"Sometimes I like to throw a grenade and run away."

wpstl's gear list:wpstl's gear list
Samsung NX1 Sony a7R II Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +6 more
markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

VisualFX wrote:

herc182 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

Because the resulting images from a larger sensor camera like the nx1 far outshine anything I've taken (or seen) on a point and shoot camera.

And because we want to capture memories of our children and value the quality of a better camera.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +13 more

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-camera-for-every-parent-1672235946

Here is an article from a couple years ago, about recommendations for cameras for "fast moving kids". Most recommended are cameras like LX100, RX100, G9X. He states too, that a DSLR can provide the best AF for kids, but can be overkill.

But to each their own. In my local camera shop, I've heard a couple "mom's" ask the employee for camera for fast moving kids. They come back with one of these pocket cameras, but in the end the "mom" ends up with a DSLR for whatever reason. Oh well, if you got the money and want to overspend, then do it. Just don't complain afterwards that you are broke.

markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

VisualFX wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-camera-for-every-parent-1672235946

Here is an article from a couple years ago, about recommendations for cameras for "fast moving kids". Most recommended are cameras like LX100, RX100, G9X. He states too, that a DSLR can provide the best AF for kids, but can be overkill.

But to each their own. In my local camera shop, I've heard a couple "mom's" ask the employee for camera for fast moving kids. They come back with one of these pocket cameras, but in the end the "mom" ends up with a DSLR for whatever reason. Oh well, if you got the money and want to overspend, then do it. Just don't complain afterwards that you are broke.

Who's complaining they're broke?!

I guess if you don't know much about photography a point of shoot may be better but if you have some idea what you're doing an ILC will offer a lot of advantages. A lot of photography of kids is portraiture where it's nice to have the subject isolated from the background, and this isn't really possible with most point and shoots.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads