Sony & The “Star Eater” problem

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,950
Yay!!

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Hi,

This was a happy morning Sony released a new firmware updates...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-releases-new-firmware-update-%ce%b19-%ce%b17-ii-%ce%b17r-ii-%ce%b17s-ii-%ce%b16300-%ce%b16500/

v. 4.0 for A7RII

I already installed (without problems), and I'm very glad to tell: Star eater is fixed! At least 4sec-30sec exposures... I'm not sure about bulb yet, I have to try it more carefully ...

Anyway, this was a great news. I almost feel that our hard work would be rewarded

Thank you sony,

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Thanks for confirming.

Did you have to turn off LENR?

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
Bill Gercken 2 Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Happy UPDATE! Star eater fixed! Thank you Sony....

Awesome!

-- hide signature --

English native speaker, so please ignore any misspelling generously!

Navman Regular Member • Posts: 129

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Hi,

This was a happy morning Sony released a new firmware updates...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-releases-new-firmware-update-%ce%b19-%ce%b17-ii-%ce%b17r-ii-%ce%b17s-ii-%ce%b16300-%ce%b16500/

v. 4.0 for A7RII

I already installed (without problems), and I'm very glad to tell: Star eater is fixed! At least 4sec-30sec exposures... I'm not sure about bulb yet, I have to try it more carefully ...

Anyway, this was a great news. I almost feel that our hard work would be rewarded

Thank you sony,

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

I just installed it and did a very quick test - its one night off a full moon here, so not ideal, but the 3.2 and 4 second exposures that I took are identical apart from the slightly greater star trailing in the 4 second. It looks as if they've fixed it.

Thanks so much for all your persistence with this Ari - you deserve a medal!

-John

Bill Gercken 2 Forum Member • Posts: 84

Ari,

Can you try it with LENR on? Does it effectively just turn star eater on if you do that?

Then the question would be, what to do for dark frame subtraction? I don't have a solution for that for Sony raw files. Anybody?

Cheers!

-bill

-- hide signature --

Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 1,990

Courious about Bulb...

ISO 1 Million Regular Member • Posts: 317

Thank you so much Ari for your persistence in this issue.  We need more people like you who can be objective and willing to criticize the companies they purchase from.  All these Sony cheerleaders do a complete disservice to all of us.

ISO 1 Million's gear list:ISO 1 Million's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +4 more
Almazar80 Contributing Member • Posts: 978

Persistence pays - and it helps that you and other people (JimKasson) has been pointing out his problem for months.  The scientific testing methods that Mr. Kasson employs is really useful in identifying problems and other anomalies in the Sony cameras.  And as you said, thank you Sony, for listening.

FotoFrik
FotoFrik Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Sony & The “Star Eater” problem

New firmware of solving the problem of

Improved Image Quality When Long Exposure NR setting is OFF

FotoFrik's gear list:FotoFrik's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

Bill Gercken 2 wrote:

Ari,

Can you try it with LENR on? Does it effectively just turn star eater on if you do that?

Then the question would be, what to do for dark frame subtraction? I don't have a solution for that for Sony raw files. Anybody?

Cheers!

-bill

-- hide signature --

Capture One does wonders for Sony RAW files without LENR on prior to the 4.00 FW so I wouldn't think that would change?

-- hide signature --

http://14fps.tv - My YouTube channel with a focus on Sony cameras.
http://14fps.com - My photography website.

FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R Leica M10 +15 more
BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 4,822
*** CONGRATULATIONS ARI !!!! ***

I want to believe that your incredible persistence in this matter played some part in this. Good news for all owners of A7rii !!!

mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 2,068

Take a bow Ari!

Persistence by you and others made this happen, bravo!

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:
www.MattReynoldsPhotography.com

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II
getagrip15 Regular Member • Posts: 456

Quick question...does the A9 still have this spatial filtering issue? It appears that the update fore this was for the A7rii and A7sii.

I'm not super concerned since I don't do astrophotography...but just curious.

Jonneymendoza2 Contributing Member • Posts: 689

mreynolds767 wrote:

Take a bow Ari!

Persistence by you and others made this happen, bravo!

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:

i also persisted on the opening of the lens while shooting in AF-C which is also fixed

Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 3,616

getagrip15 wrote:

Quick question...does the A9 still have this spatial filtering issue? It appears that the update fore this was for the A7rii and A7sii.

I'm not super concerned since I don't do astrophotography...but just curious.

I am also interested in the A9 and the long exposure behaviour of this camera. Seems like a mind blowing camera - just this one issue is holding me back...

Now it is time to sit back and wait until someone image the stars with a very sharp lens (like the 1.8/55mm stopped down to f/4 or so, to really tease out the new algorithm) or a first class telescope like a Takahashi astrograph. That should settle the matter.

Still holding back until some thorough test results show up here.

Am a northener living under very bright summer skies at a high latitude so no possibility to run the proper tests needed from here - have to wait for the autumn darkness.

The star eater issue have been discussed for some years now. Good to see the issue finally getting (most likely) the proper medicine due to persistent ones around.

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

i also persisted on the opening of the lens while shooting in AF-C which is also fixed

That's true Sony really did apparently listen and provide fixes for more than just 1 issue with this firmware.  Many studio folks were very unhappy with the stopped down AF should be quite pleased today as well!

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:

Sony Alpha a7R II
JerseySailor Regular Member • Posts: 159

In reading the feature list of the 4.0 update, I didn't see a mention of fixing long exposures longer than 3.2 seconds (i.e., Star Eater).

They did say: "Improves image quality when Long Exposure NR setting is OFF"

Was that their Star Eater fix?

JerseySailor's gear list:JerseySailor's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +2 more

JerseySailor wrote:

In reading the feature list of the 4.0 update, I didn't see a mention of fixing long exposures longer than 3.2 seconds (i.e., Star Eater).

Yes, because previously NR was being applied on files between 4-30 sec. when the user had selected RAW and LENR off meaning they don't want any added NR.

The Star Eater was in camera applied noise reduction

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:

Sony Alpha a7R II
BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 4,822

JerseySailor wrote:

Yes - it seems Sony avoids the word "Star Eater" - they don't want to acknowledge that there ever was a problem. Just a series of improvements

Ari Aikomus
OP Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,129
Re: *** CONGRATULATIONS ARI !!!! ***

BBQue wrote:

I want to believe that your incredible persistence in this matter played some part in this. Good news for all owners of A7rii !!!

Thank you

Maybe my effort played a small role in this...

But I'm very happy that star eater issue is now fixed.

Happy shootings,

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

Ari Aikomus
OP Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,129

ISO 1 Million wrote:

Thank you so much Ari for your persistence in this issue. We need more people like you who can be objective and willing to criticize the companies they purchase from. All these Sony cheerleaders do a complete disservice to all of us.

We all Sony users are kind of big a family, no matter if we have different opinions. But I'm very glad that this ended well after all.... Also - Thanks  to Sony that they "listened" finally

Happy shootings,

ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads