A couple fog shots at Golden Gate Bridge

Started May 23, 2017 | Discussions
Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
A couple fog shots at Golden Gate Bridge

I woke up around 3:30am to head out.  Unfortunately the fog didn't roll into until after sunrise but it still came fairly early.  Fortunately he fog did come though as I have been trying to make it out with good fog for a while.  Here are a couple of my favorites.

Brian D3300's gear list:Brian D3300's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more
tarakanchik Contributing Member • Posts: 953
Re: A couple fog shots at Golden Gate Bridge

Second one is beautiful.  I would consider cloning out that tower at a distance on the right side, it's a little distracting.

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

Fishchris
Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 3,794

Brian D3300 wrote:

I woke up around 3:30am to head out. Unfortunately the fog didn't roll into until after sunrise but it still came fairly early. Fortunately he fog did come though as I have been trying to make it out with good fog for a while. Here are a couple of my favorites.

Nice I like in the first shot, how their is still so much light coming underneath the fog because of the low light angle Light is everything, right ?

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Slick Fork Contributing Member • Posts: 538

Brian D3300 wrote:

I woke up around 3:30am to head out. Unfortunately the fog didn't roll into until after sunrise but it still came fairly early. Fortunately he fog did come though as I have been trying to make it out with good fog for a while. Here are a couple of my favorites.

The lighting on top of the cloudss on #1 is great.  I really like the framing on #2 much better though.

Thanks for sharing!

Slick Fork's gear list:Slick Fork's gear list
Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM
OP Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

tarakanchik wrote:

Second one is beautiful. I would consider cloning out that tower at a distance on the right side, it's a little distracting.

Thank you.  Yes, that was  thought of mine as well, or to just crop it differently.

I probably took close to 400 shots Sunday morning so I might have some with that setup already.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more

Fishchris wrote:

Brian D3300 wrote:

Nice I like in the first shot, how their is still so much light coming underneath the fog because of the low light angle Light is everything, right ?

Yeah, I arrived around 4:30am.   The fog was late and didn't show until after sunrise.  One day I hope to get there with fog already there. I was still happy to get some fog.

That picture the fog was only creeping up on the south tower but the light was not nearly as good later when it was consuming the entire bridge.

When I arrive the moon was out and the light was awesome but only some light fog over the city.  I have pictures from that early as well.

Slick Fork wrote:

Brian D3300 wrote:

The lighting on top of the cloudss on #1 is great. I really like the framing on #2 much better though.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, yeah I really want that level of fog but earlier in the morning, before sunrise and around sunrise.  The fog didn't kick in that heavy in time for my liking.   One day it will happen!  Well the day before it happened but I was not able to go.

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 3,290

Nice shots.  Do you want comments?

Love the first one--except for that darned tower that ruins the skyline.  You have some vignetting in the corners.  Too aggressive lens shade?

Second one shows two other photographers with tripods. 

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

Nice shots. Do you want comments?

Love the first one--except for that darned tower that ruins the skyline. You have some vignetting in the corners. Too aggressive lens shade?

Second one shows two other photographers with tripods.

I always appreciate comments and critique. Yeah, I struggled with keeping the tower, it is a landmark so I decided on keeping it. I could have cropped differently as well.

Yes, I left them in there for a sense of scale. I chatted with one of them when I hiked down there for pictures. He was piloting his drone as well as traditional photos.

I think I caused that darkness in the corner myself in photoshop.    I was using a brush with soft light to darken the sky a little.

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 3,290

I didn't mean that the photographers are a flaw in the picture.  It's a little Easter egg for anyone who looks closely.

In the second shot, if you think the tower on the right is an annoyance (as I do), you could just crop it out.  That way you don't have to falsify the skyline, and it wouldn't affect the picture badly.

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

I didn't mean that the photographers are a flaw in the picture. It's a little Easter egg for anyone who looks closely.

In the second shot, if you think the tower on the right is an annoyance (as I do), you could just crop it out. That way you don't have to falsify the skyline, and it wouldn't affect the picture badly.

That is a good idea as well.    Gotcha, wasn't sure as some people do not like others in their shots.   Thanks

mreynolds767
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 2,521

Great shots!

Serious question: does morning fog often occur before sunrise. I ask because the only times in my life I have set out in search of fog I too arrived before sunrise and found that fog did not come until after the sun was over the horizon and for lack of a better term melted the fog off the ground.

Since this has happened to me more than once, I assumed it may be normal behavior.

In the SF area I imagine you are much more used to fog and the type of marine fog you get may behave differently anyway than fog in a valley that I am referring to.

I have read that when the dew point and temperature meet overnight, that is ideal for fog in the morning hours (again referring to valley type fog not ocean/marine fog)

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:
www.MattReynoldsPhotography.com

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony a7R II

mreynolds767 wrote:

Great shots!

Serious question: does morning fog often occur before sunrise. I ask because the only times in my life I have set out in search of fog I too arrived before sunrise and found that fog did not come until after the sun was over the horizon and for lack of a better term melted the fog off the ground.

Since this has happened to me more than once, I assumed it may be normal behavior.

In the SF area I imagine you are much more used to fog and the type of marine fog you get may behave differently anyway than fog in a valley that I am referring to.

I have read that when the dew point and temperature meet overnight, that is ideal for fog in the morning hours (again referring to valley type fog not ocean/marine fog)

I check webcams and things like that.  Sometimes the fog is there but too high as well to capture the bridge.  This one even has a time lapse of the previous day if you scroll down.

http://static.lawrencehallofscience.org/scienceview/scienceview.berkeley.edu/html/view/index.php

I arrived at 4:30am in hopes of it but not this time (Sunday morning). Saturday morning it actually was foggy well before sunrise, I just was unable to go. I have no idea how frequently it happens as this is something new I have been trying to do.

I have had people tell me that if it is hot on the peninsula/Silicon Valley (20 miles south where I live) then there is a good chance for go. So far it has been a pretty good indicator.

pixseal
pixseal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,415
SF Fog

mreynolds767 wrote:

Great shots!

I have read that when the dew point and temperature meet overnight, that is ideal for fog in the morning hours (again referring to valley type fog not ocean/marine fog)

Note: I am not a meteorologist, not do I play one on TV However, I have lived my (almost) entire life in the SF Bay Area.

The SF Bay Area fog is a unique phenomenon. The ocean off shore is a nearly constant 50F year-round, but inland (40-50 miles) afternoon temps often reach into the 90s and 100s. The heated inland air rises and draws in the cool marine air (sometimes at a speed greater than 25 mph!). This fog flow usually starts in the afternoon and continues into early evening. By morning the fog starts to "burn" off. This an all-summer thing.

Depending on the conditions near the coast, the fog deck may be at ground (sea) level or several hundred feet. The fog may be a few hundred feet thick, or 3,000 feet thick. The fog may linger just off-coast, or it may extend 30 miles inland.

The Golden Gate is the only sea-level path for the marine air to flow inland; north and south of the Golden Gate the mountains range from 1,000 to 3,000 feet high, blocking much of the marine air. Many afternoons the marine air flows over the ridges, resulting in a "fog cascade". See my video, shot 10 miles south of SF near Crystal Springs Lake: http://pixseal.com/2013/2013fortbaker/mvi_0730.mp4 (the video is 10x).

-- hide signature --
 pixseal's gear list:pixseal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +19 more
Nikita66 Contributing Member • Posts: 820

Nice, really like how we can below the fog on #1. Wish you'd panned down slightly to avoid cutting off the bottom of the tower in the water.  I don't know about Sutro Tower on the hill. Kind of wish it was cloned out.

In #2, the bridge towers are leaning right. Need to be straightened.

Re: SF Fog

pixseal wrote:

-

Note: I am not a meteorologist, not do I play one on TV However, I have lived my (almost) entire life in the SF Bay Area.

The SF Bay Area fog is a unique phenomenon. The ocean off shore is a nearly constant 50F year-round, but inland (40-50 miles) afternoon temps often reach into the 90s and 100s. The heated inland air rises and draws in the cool marine air (sometimes at a speed greater than 25 mph!). This fog flow usually starts in the afternoon and continues into early evening. By morning the fog starts to "burn" off. This an all-summer thing.

Depending on the conditions near the coast, the fog deck may be at ground (sea) level or several hundred feet. The fog may be a few hundred feet thick, or 3,000 feet thick. The fog may linger just off-coast, or it may extend 30 miles inland.

The Golden Gate is the only sea-level path for the marine air to flow inland; north and south of the Golden Gate the mountains range from 1,000 to 3,000 feet high, blocking much of the marine air. Many afternoons the marine air flows over the ridges, resulting in a "fog cascade". See my video, shot 10 miles south of SF near Crystal Springs Lake: http://pixseal.com/2013/2013fortbaker/mvi_0730.mp4 (the video is 10x).

Thank you, Pixseal! Nice video as well, I know exactly where that is.  I appreciate the explanation.    Yeah, several times I have gone where the fog belt was above the bridge, looks cool and all but without a reference point is not much of a photo.   Mt. Tam is a popular place for capturing the fog as well but that is even further and they have restricted hours (though some people do not abide).   I am hoping next time I am there the fog will be around well before sunrise.

Nikita66 wrote:

Nice, really like how we can below the fog on #1. Wish you'd panned down slightly to avoid cutting off the bottom of the tower in the water. I don't know about Sutro Tower on the hill. Kind of wish it was cloned out.

In #2, the bridge towers are leaning right. Need to be straightened.

I probably could have capture a bit more space between the bottom of the tower and the frame of the picture but if you look at it bigger you can see there is space and it is not cut off.    I was debating the Sutro tower on a few shots.  Well I have  a few more hundred pictures I can tinker with!  Always a bit of a challenging picking out favorites.

mreynolds767
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 2,521

Dave and Brian,

I appreciate the advise.  Looking forward to a future trip to the Bay area and capture the fog.   Been there multiple times but not in years and those were P&S days when days were not planned around the weather/light.

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:
www.MattReynoldsPhotography.com

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony a7R II
Neuropsychology
Neuropsychology Regular Member • Posts: 159

Nice shots! Did you take these 1 day ago? I thought it was a little early for fog. I live closeby I have to get up to slacker hill soon.

Edit: What is the exif data? Curious what lens and length you used

Neuropsychology's gear list:Neuropsychology's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +12 more

Neuropsychology wrote:

Nice shots! Did you take these 1 day ago? I thought it was a little early for fog. I live closeby I have to get up to slacker hill soon.

Edit: What is the exif data? Curious what lens and length you used

Thank you. These were Sunday morning.    Saturday would probably have been better as the fog started well before sunrise, Sunday it kicked in later.

I will have to check on the originals.  Something in my workflow knocks out the exif data. I never lost it with LR but I must have a setting off in PS that retains it.

I was using a D600 and pretty much all of my lenses (85 1.8g, 50 1.8g,  70-300mm 24-85 and Tokina 16-28)  but I didn't post any with the Tokina for sure.   I will look tonight to see what these files are.  I can post some at 16mm with the Tokina that I did from the top of Hawk Hill as well to get a general idea of where the fog was covering.

I come from Palo Alto, so I woke up around 3:30pm and was on the hill just before 5am.  Unfortunately no fog (well a little over the city but that is is), the moon was out though which was kind of cool.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads