Inferiority Complex

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Carlo UK Forum Member • Posts: 98
Inferiority Complex

Well all my big boy Canon Full frame kit and lens are gone.
When walking about kitted up it looked pro people even asked if I worked for a newspaper or something.

Now with my little A7II and Zeiss lens I get this inferiority complex. When a DSLR  user stands by me I can see it in his eyes thinking. Whats that toy.

LOL anyone else feels like this ?

I know its how you use it that counts.

Carlo UK's gear list:Carlo UK's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Roses Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
Re: Inferiority Complex

I feel the opposite when I'm out and about with my camera taking pictures of our kids. I want even smaller and more inconspicuous camera and lenses.

At work I shoot the a6500 with 24-70GM most of the time. The lens is big enough to look serious, and the other photographer/videographer and I don't have issues looking unprofessional.

-- hide signature --
 Roses's gear list:Roses's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Philnw2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,506

Carlo UK wrote:

When walking about kitted up it looked pro people even asked if I worked for a newspaper or something.

Now with my little A7II and Zeiss lens I get this inferiority complex. When a DSLR user stands by me I can see it in his eyes thinking. Whats that toy.

You'll get used to it and won't think twice about it.  For a period of extended shooting like at a parade or shooting a play, large camera and lenses can get heavy and i'm so glad to have something lighter.  Sometimes i'll look around, esp on a hot day, and see these shooters with the heavy combos, like a large zoom lens, looking a bit worn out and will feel sorry for them.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28mm F2 +3 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 1,990

Carlo UK wrote:

Now with my little A7II and Zeiss lens I get this inferiority complex. When a DSLR user stands by me I can see it in his eyes thinking. Whats that toy.

I just feel freedom! No one looking, no one asking!

Corelli Senior Member • Posts: 2,610

Get a radio trigger for the camera, a big flash and a softbox and everyone will think you're a professional!

At least that was my experience at the Venice Carnival!

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Rol Lei Nut Senior Member • Posts: 2,694

Whenever I see someone walking around (clearly not on a job) with a huge DSLR, a battery grip, a monster f/2.8 zoom and a wide neck strap with the brand of the camera in big letters on it, my thoughts tend to be more like "I pity the fool..."

braveheart0707 Regular Member • Posts: 175

Carlo UK wrote:

LOL i totally get what you mean man. Males have a tendency to compare who has a bigger stick. Same with cars, houses, electronics, and women....

That problem went away after I got my 2470 GM. I don't feel so inferior anymore. I am also thinking about upgrading my 55/1.8 to the Zeiss 50/1.4, not just for better optics but also for this reason as well. The 55/1.8 is a great lens but it looks like such a toy.

I suppose it depends on why you chose the Sony a7 series.  For many it is for the smaller size.   For me, it is for the features that DSLR don't have, such as IBIS, EVF.

braveheart0707's gear list:braveheart0707's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8
tesilab
tesilab Senior Member • Posts: 2,741
Solution...

Get a big hollow plastic shell of a Canikon FF DSLR and a big honking hollow shell of a zoom lens. Strap it around your shoulder and let it hang there while you use a mirrorless.

You'll look twice as geeky, and not be missing any professional cred without actually hurting your back.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +6 more
alextardif
alextardif Senior Member • Posts: 1,276

Few years back when RX1 came out I brought it with me to a trip across Bali and Singapore as the only camera.  I ran into all kinds of photographers, most of whom at the time carried their 5Dmk2's along with nice fast glass.  The little RX looked comical next to the "big boys" but I was the one smiling as none of them had a clue what a powerhouse this little "point and shoot" was, with IQ often far superior to what their cream of the crop DSLRs could offer.

To this day it's the one and only camera/lens I regret selling, though the next RX1xxx will likely find it's way into my kit

-- hide signature --

Alex

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +7 more
mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 2,068

I feel the opposite. I remember a night a few months back, was shooting some nighttime spinning wool type stuff and everyone was photographing in roughly the same position on tripods lined up.

My little A7rii with Loxia 21 looked tiny compared to all of the other cameras present but I knew I was going to get better pictures than everyone else in the room, so I had a smile inside knowing that fact even if they didn't.

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:
www.MattReynoldsPhotography.com

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II
SLN001
SLN001 Senior Member • Posts: 2,966

Funny but I'm moving in the opposite direction. I never owned one of those hulking DSLRs. I started out in photography with a Sony NEX-3N. Over time my cameras grew somewhat so that now my serious cameras are an A7II and an A6500.

However, I recently picked up a used NEX-3N body, to use just for fun. I have gone back to small and simple-part time at least.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Just an Armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

SLN001's gear list:SLN001's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,889

You should feel inferior because "equipment makes the man."  Honest...

ahaslett
ahaslett Senior Member • Posts: 3,503

Carlo UK wrote:

Don't worry, just carry lots of small ones - look Daddy that man has three cameras!

Tiny

Little and large

And you should have kept at least one big grey lens!

Taking pictures with the Sigma on a monopod usually gets some puzzled stares.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7R +26 more
braveheart0707 Regular Member • Posts: 175

you guys are missing the point here.

This is a purely mentality thing. Knowing the smaller gear that I have takes just as good or even better pictures than DSLR will not help with the inferiority complex that people like OP and myself feels.

It isn't a quantitative thing, its qualitative. The analogy i can think of is when shooting at the range, even if a Walther PPK can hit the target just as well as a desert eagle (I don't know much about guns, so dont laugh), some guys will still have this feeling with holding a smaller gun.

In my opinion, this can't be fixed. My solution was by using large lens like my 2470 GM, and in my twisted mind that makes up for it somehow. Otherwise, people who feel this way should just buy DSLR instead.

braveheart0707's gear list:braveheart0707's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8
ahaslett

Be happy, buy a Bigma.  Don't forget to keep the lock on, or it will droop on you.

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7R +26 more
arcman67 Regular Member • Posts: 210

I switched from Canon to A7rii. Not one client has ever commented on the "professional aspect" of the system. A couple noticed I did not shoot Canon anymore by the sound of the 2 sec timer.

By the time you add a grip and a larger lens, nobody will ever question

Abel89er Junior Member • Posts: 31

You're not helping me to keep my hands off the rx1r2 LOL

Abel89er's gear list:Abel89er's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8
ahaslett

arcman67 wrote:

I switched from Canon to A7rii. Not one client has ever commented on the "professional aspect" of the system. A couple noticed I did not shoot Canon anymore by the sound of the 2 sec timer.

By the time you add a grip and a larger lens, nobody will ever question

Nobody ever laughed at a Canon 17mm TSE.  You shoot real estate?

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,889

Carlo UK wrote:

I hope any photographers that do work for the newspaper aren't offended but have you considered what you are saying here....     you felt like you were a big deal when people thought you worked as a photographer for a newspaper and now you have an inferiority complex??     Kind of sad if you really think about it.    If someone looks at my mirrorless camera and thinks...   "no way that guy works for the newspaper".....  then I'd consider that to be one more fringe benefit of a mirrorless system that I can add to the list  .

Mathieu18
Mathieu18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,971

The guys at the local camera store are all Nikon and Sony shooters. My password to film scans is along the lines of Sony Crap. Any time they start I just tell them I can shoot any lens they have in the store on my A7II. That always Quiets them down as they try to think of one I can't shoot with. So far it's worked well.

Out shooting I couldn't care less. Results matter, and I know my work isn't bad, A7II is just my preferred tool.

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com

Mathieu18's gear list:Mathieu18's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7 II A3000 NEX-5T Sony a6000 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads