Lightroom poor performance on Windows 10

Started May 17, 2017 | Discussions
earthisle
earthisle Regular Member • Posts: 169
Lightroom poor performance on Windows 10

I've been using a Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012 for Lightroom for a couple years and it works fine even off a USB 3.0 drive. I have recently bought a used Dell Precision T3500 with Xeon W3520 running Win 10 which has about the same computing power. I've tried running Lightroom on it and it's painfully slow. Every slider movement takes seconds to process. I've tried putting the raw files on both the SSD boot drive and HDD storage drive and it makes no difference. I've also tried a Lenovo S230U notebook with a dual core i7 running Win 10 and it's just as slow.

Fixes I've tried to no avail:
Disable graphics acceleration
Turn off XMP sidecar files
Disable antivirus scanning of LR catalog folder

The poor performance seems restricted to Windows 10. Has anybody experienced this? Is there a fix?

RealCereal Contributing Member • Posts: 538
Re: Lightroom poor performance on Windows 10

earthisle wrote:

I've been using a Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012 for Lightroom for a couple years and it works fine even off a USB 3.0 drive. I have recently bought a used Dell Precision T3500 with Xeon W3520 running Win 10 which has about the same computing power. I've tried running Lightroom on it and it's painfully slow. Every slider movement takes seconds to process. I've tried putting the raw files on both the SSD boot drive and HDD storage drive and it makes no difference. I've also tried a Lenovo S230U notebook with a dual core i7 running Win 10 and it's just as slow.

The poor performance seems restricted to Windows 10. Has anybody experienced this? Is there a fix?

I think you should enable graphics acceleration as it does help. Using on my laptop now the edits are in real time

RealCereal's gear list:RealCereal's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
bent christian Senior Member • Posts: 1,663

earthisle wrote:

GPU acceleration will provide minimal improvement at best. Some find it slows performance. Anyway, this is not the cause. It sounds as though your new machine is running a HDD as boot and scratch disk. Is that correct?

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338

It seems to me that Lightroom performance is very inconsistent across different machines. This has been going on for years and it's been discussed many times in this and other forums. I have never seen a convincing explanation for it. It's very odd and I sure wish Adobe would get to the bottom of it because it has been driving a LOT of users quite crazy!

earthisle
OP earthisle Regular Member • Posts: 169

RealCereal wrote:

earthisle wrote:

I think you should enable graphics acceleration as it does help. Using on my laptop now the edits are in real time

I did re-enable it. I only disabled it because I've read that it can sometimes improve performance

earthisle

bent christian wrote:

earthisle wrote:

GPU acceleration will provide minimal improvement at best. Some find it slows performance. Anyway, this is not the cause. It sounds as though your new machine is running a HDD as boot and scratch disk. Is that correct?

No, the boot and scratch drive are an SSD. The photos are stored on an HDD but I've also tried working with them on the SSD and it doesn't help

BTW I have also tried with and without hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS, and it makes no difference (normally I keep it turned off because it slows down some programs)

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 8,038

earthisle wrote:

Are you using the latest driver for your video card? I've had a boost in performance when I updated mine.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR +5 more

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

earthisle wrote:

No, the boot and scratch drive are an SSD. The photos are stored on an HDD but I've also tried working with them on the SSD and it doesn't help

BTW I have also tried with and without hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS, and it makes no difference (normally I keep it turned off because it slows down some programs)

How much RAM?

jackalopemaui Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

bent christian wrote:

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

earthisle wrote:

How much RAM?

6GB on the Dell Precision, but only 85% used including noncomitted. Lightroom using under 2GB. CPU usage is pegged at 99% while it's processing an image

jackalopemaui's gear list:jackalopemaui's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more

jackalopemaui wrote:

bent christian wrote:

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

earthisle wrote:

How much RAM?

6GB on the Dell Precision, but only 85% used including noncomitted. Lightroom using under 2GB. CPU usage is pegged at 99% while it's processing an image

6GB is kind of riding the line as far as RAM and recent PS and LR applications go. I wouldn't run less then 8GB. I can have slow-downs with that amount when using alot of brushes. Also, if your scratch disk/OS disk is SSD on a SATA bus, this could be part of the issue.

Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
I have never had performance issue with lightroom on PC

With that said, open task manager and find out what process is using up your cpu utilization.  I frequently edit photos in lightroom on a lenovo T420 I5-2450m 4gb of ram -- a very slow processor by todays standards and have never had a lag moving slider bars or anything except an export.  I am working with 114mb 16bit tiff files from a sigma dp2.  If the adobe lightroom process is using all the cpu cycles then could it be a 3rd party plugin?

-- hide signature --

Nikon D750
Sigma DP2 quattro

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Re: I have never had performance issue with lightroom on PC

Buttons252 wrote:

With that said, open task manager and find out what process is using up your cpu utilization. I frequently edit photos in lightroom on a lenovo T420 I5-2450m 4gb of ram -- a very slow processor by todays standards and have never had a lag moving slider bars or anything except an export. I am working with 114mb 16bit tiff files from a sigma dp2. If the adobe lightroom process is using all the cpu cycles then could it be a 3rd party plugin?

Slider adjustments are typically not what will use the most resources. Brushes will. Slow-downs are usually related to inadequate RAM, forcing the system to Swap data out to the boot drive. OS, applications, scratch disk, swap all trying to run off of the same drive would be a severe bottleneck if the SSD is on a SATA bus. I looked up the specs on the machine in question. It uses as SATA II bus , so max data transfer is 300 MB/s theoretical, 250-280 MB/s maximum real-world usage.

My guess is not enough RAM, forcing Swap to write to disk. The disk runs on a very slow bus. The old processor could also be a contributing factor.

earthisle

bent christian wrote:

Buttons252 wrote:

With that said, open task manager and find out what process is using up your cpu utilization. I frequently edit photos in lightroom on a lenovo T420 I5-2450m 4gb of ram -- a very slow processor by todays standards and have never had a lag moving slider bars or anything except an export. I am working with 114mb 16bit tiff files from a sigma dp2. If the adobe lightroom process is using all the cpu cycles then could it be a 3rd party plugin?

Slider adjustments are typically not what will use the most resources. Brushes will. Slow-downs are usually related to inadequate RAM, forcing the system to Swap data out to the boot drive. OS, applications, scratch disk, swap all trying to run off of the same drive would be a severe bottleneck if the SSD is on a SATA bus. I looked up the specs on the machine in question. It uses as SATA II bus , so max data transfer is 300 MB/s theoretical, 250-280 MB/s maximum real-world usage.

My guess is not enough RAM, forcing Swap to write to disk. The disk runs on a very slow bus. The old processor could also be a contributing factor.

That does make sense that the SATA would be the bottleneck exacerbated by swap file usage. The Macbook Pro mid 2012 Retina has a PCIE drive. However my CPU usage does spike when doing any slider movements even on a fresh picture with no edits

earthisle

Buttons252 wrote:

Lightroom is what is using my CPU. I don't have any plugins

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

Buttons252 wrote:

That does make sense that the SATA would be the bottleneck exacerbated by swap file usage. The Macbook Pro mid 2012 Retina has a PCIE drive. However my CPU usage does spike when doing any slider movements even on a fresh picture with no edits

I ran Passmark PerformanceTest 9.0 and the results are abysmal for the SSD! Sequential write is 93MB/sec, sequential read is 146MB/sec, and random read is 35MB/sec

Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more

jackalopemaui wrote:

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

Buttons252 wrote:

I ran Passmark PerformanceTest 9.0 and the results are abysmal for the SSD! Sequential write is 93MB/sec, sequential read is 146MB/sec, and random read is 35MB/sec

That's terrible. Far slower than it should be on SATA II. What brand and model is it?

I would back the drive up, zero it out (a simple format sometimes does not return an SSD), restore the OS and data files. Verify that TRIM is enabled:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance

Windows 7 and 10 should enable TRIM by default, but it's good to check. Otherwise, the SSD controller might be going/bad.

earthisle

bent christian wrote:

jackalopemaui wrote:

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

Buttons252 wrote:

That's terrible. Far slower than it should be on SATA II. What brand and model is it?

I would back the drive up, zero it out (a simple format sometimes does not return an SSD), restore the OS and data files. Verify that TRIM is enabled:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance

Windows 7 and 10 should enable TRIM by default, but it's good to check. Otherwise, the SSD controller might be going/bad.

It's a Sandisk 240gb SSD Plus that I bought maybe 5 months ago

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

jackalopemaui wrote:

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

Buttons252 wrote:

It's a Sandisk 240gb SSD Plus that I bought maybe 5 months ago

Win10 is set to run TRIM weekly by default. I just did a TRIM and reran the speed test. Speeds went way up to 246MB/sec read, 143MB/sec write, and 95MB/sec random

jackalopemaui wrote:

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

jackalopemaui wrote:

earthisle wrote:

bent christian wrote:

Buttons252 wrote:

It's a Sandisk 240gb SSD Plus that I bought maybe 5 months ago

Win10 is set to run TRIM weekly by default. I just did a TRIM and reran the speed test. Speeds went way up to 246MB/sec read, 143MB/sec write, and 95MB/sec random

Lightroom performs much better since I optimized the disk. Still slower than the Mac but an improvement

Jos van Eekelen Regular Member • Posts: 455

Increasing the Camera RAW Cache Settings (in preferences > file handling) may speed up LR. Another option is to purge the cache in the same screen. The latter worked for me. After using LR on a new PC I noticed that it slowed down, it was back to normal after I purged the cache.

Jos van Eekelen's gear list:Jos van Eekelen's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads