RX1r Mid Morning Stroll

8 Block Stroll the Train Station to Our House

My Favorite

Beautiful Flowers Along the Way

all these along one persons walk

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,639
Re: RX1r Mid Morning Stroll

that was 1st block from Train Station, let's keep going, next block

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

next block

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Around the corner

crop again

this is the corner house of my street, I'm 2 blocks away

-- hide signature --

Elliott

turned the corner,front of that house

Got a panic call, my friend's identity was hacked, gotta go, skip a block, our plac-
Elliott

these were taken earlier at our house, Orange is Donna's favorite color.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,165

Lots of nice shots here! What are the orange flowers in the last batch?

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more

thanks,

they are Azaleas, part of the Rhododendron family. I missed shooting our big purple one, it is the first to open, I had a badly sprained ankle then. So the little peek of it is here.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,750

Man, you are way ahead of me up here!

Nice photography

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,766

Very nice! I can smell the carnations!!

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more

Glad you like them,

It's 88  the shade now. Last week was miserable chilly rain. Ava playing softball tonight.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Thanks,

due to ankle, I was late getting around, but plenty left. I missed the Pink and White Dogwoods, Wisteria/Lilac, also early.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Glad you like them,

It's 88 the shade now. Last week was miserable chilly rain. Ava playing softball tonight.

Pretty hot here today. The put the topcoat on my driveway today!

-- hide signature --

So I Choose my Battles

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Mina J
Mina J Veteran Member • Posts: 3,316

Elliott, thanks for letting us share in the beauty and splendor of your mid morning stroll. On a nice day that is really something to look forward to.  I liked seeing the homes as well as the flowers.  You had me with the first photo of the train station with the blue sky and clouds

MIna

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Nikon D300 Nikon D750
breccia Contributing Member • Posts: 528

Elliott it was fun getting to see your neighborhood, thank you.

The evergreen shrub photo might be my favorite I think it shows you have a great camera and eye.

breccia's gear list:breccia's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T20
hapster
hapster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,531
Great series...

I enjoyed this look around your 'hood...

Also, find it kind of inspiring; sort of like you can't take pics (better than phone) if you don't have the camera with you

Thanks for sharing

H

hapster's gear list:hapster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +2 more

Mina J wrote:

Elliott, thanks for letting us share in the beauty and splendor of your mid morning stroll. On a nice day that is really something to look forward to. I liked seeing the homes as well as the flowers. You had me with the first photo of the train station with the blue sky and clouds

Glad you enjoyed the walk.

Take a closer look at the station, the windows are actually painted plywood. What a political mess. The stones are sprayed with a finish to make cleaning graffiti off without it penetrating the stones. That has worked, but actually, I have not seen any graffiti.

The building was designated historic, which means, it cannot be torn down and both the interior and exterior are subject to restrictive and expensive alterations, slate roof, copper gutters, matching custom woodwork inside, ...

So, New Jersey Transit doesn't want to be stuck with it. Being clever, they start 2 processes

1. get big Fed and State money to renovate it. OPM, Donald Trumps mandate, use Other People's Money!

2. begin, with separate agency the process of closing it down.

They succeed with one, don't tell Fed or State their intention to close it for a while, then, after money is approved, announce they will close it. They actually tried to completely eliminate Netherwood as a stop on the line, just blow on by.

Public hearings, all excited, fix building, fix interior, designated parking for a business to be located inside the old waiting room/ticket office.

$700,000. budget, no tenant. I rise, ask, are you saying you are going to proceed with 700k with no tenant? Yes.

I rode the train daily for 26 years, from 3 different stops over the years, and knew even a coffee truck could not sell enough at Netherwood to make it worth their while. 3 small bagel/deli stores failed, a strange crowd, all other stops people bring coffee, bnagels, and eat them on the train on the hour trip to NYC.

While they are planning, the Netherwood Historic District people say: "Wouldn't it be nice to restore the great lawn?" So, they revise the parking, taking away any designated parking for a potential business in the interior, and losing many new parking spaces (in great demand). The great lawn, I have a photo somewhere, is just a blank rectangle, not a single bush, tree, just crappy grass, weeds, and dandelions.

They did a good job on the exterior, except the nasty plywood windows, but, they never did anything to the interior, expecting any tenant to renovate it for themselves. As it would have to be an historic renovation, it would cost a great deal, who in their right mind would spend that much money for a tiny space with no parking spaces? No one, ever, for about 15 years now.

NJ Transit is off the hook now, their only resonsibility is to empty the trash cans and change the big schedule boards, that is it. The city accepted responsibility to maintain the property, and they don't, so the Historic people come down every Sat. morning, and clean it up. Fed or State is supposed to maintain the exterior, but, a missing slate tile here, NJ transit truck, picking up trash, too lazy to carry bag, drives truck onto the sidewalk, occasionally hitting the columns and/or copper drain spouts.

Don't get me started.

MIna

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

-- hide signature --

Elliott

breccia wrote:

Elliott it was fun getting to see your neighborhood, thank you.

The evergreen shrub photo might be my favorite I think it shows you have a great camera and eye.

That is so funny, I didn't like the way the corner of the enclosing wall looked at the sidewalk, almost didn't take it, then I thought, it is a nice variety, I should include it, glad you liked it.

The RX1r is an amazing camera, I call it my shallow focus monster. Haven't used it for a while, had to re-learn it. EVF an absolute must in that light. Even it, without a proper eye cup is tough, need to block the top and left side with your hand.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: Great series...

hapster wrote:

I enjoyed this look around your 'hood...

Also, find it kind of inspiring; sort of like you can't take pics (better than phone) if you don't have the camera with you

Thanks for sharing

H

Yeah, when I think of moving, I stop and realize, how could we equal this neighborhood? I got lucky, found a handyman special in 1978, small lot, small house, built in 1951 on a piece of an older home's property parceled out. Surrounded by historic homes, monsters, large and small. Curvy roads, no thru traffic, raised the kids here, we are still here 39 years later.

it is called the Sleepy Hollow section of Plainfield, and ours is one of 6 historic districts in town, Netherwood Heights. Keeps renovations historic, tough restrictions and costs sometimes, but pays off in the end for everybody.

I noticed you are using iPhone 7 on some photos you posted. It is doing a darn good job. This is the mighty RX1r, combined with Manual Focus, and shooting A mode, varying shallow focus which is my primary use of it. Hard to do that with a phone. Also, EVF helps glare, phone lcd use in glare cannot be good.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Mina J wrote:

Elliott, thanks for letting us share in the beauty and splendor of your mid morning stroll. On a nice day that is really something to look forward to. I liked seeing the homes as well as the flowers. You had me with the first photo of the train station with the blue sky and clouds

Glad you enjoyed the walk.

Take a closer look at the station, the windows are actually painted plywood. What a political mess. The stones are sprayed with a finish to make cleaning graffiti off without it penetrating the stones. That has worked, but actually, I have not seen any graffiti.

The building was designated historic, which means, it cannot be torn down and both the interior and exterior are subject to restrictive and expensive alterations, slate roof, copper gutters, matching custom woodwork inside, ...

So, New Jersey Transit doesn't want to be stuck with it. Being clever, they start 2 processes

1. get big Fed and State money to renovate it. OPM, Donald Trumps mandate, use Other People's Money!

2. begin, with separate agency the process of closing it down.

They succeed with one, don't tell Fed or State their intention to close it for a while, then, after money is approved, announce they will close it. They actually tried to completely eliminate Netherwood as a stop on the line, just blow on by.

Public hearings, all excited, fix building, fix interior, designated parking for a business to be located inside the old waiting room/ticket office.

$700,000. budget, no tenant. I rise, ask, are you saying you are going to proceed with 700k with no tenant? Yes.

I rode the train daily for 26 years, from 3 different stops over the years, and knew even a coffee truck could not sell enough at Netherwood to make it worth their while. 3 small bagel/deli stores failed, a strange crowd, all other stops people bring coffee, bnagels, and eat them on the train on the hour trip to NYC.

While they are planning, the Netherwood Historic District people say: "Wouldn't it be nice to restore the great lawn?" So, they revise the parking, taking away any designated parking for a potential business in the interior, and losing many new parking spaces (in great demand). The great lawn, I have a photo somewhere, is just a blank rectangle, not a single bush, tree, just crappy grass, weeds, and dandelions.

They did a good job on the exterior, except the nasty plywood windows, but, they never did anything to the interior, expecting any tenant to renovate it for themselves. As it would have to be an historic renovation, it would cost a great deal, who in their right mind would spend that much money for a tiny space with no parking spaces? No one, ever, for about 15 years now.

NJ Transit is off the hook now, their only resonsibility is to empty the trash cans and change the big schedule boards, that is it. The city accepted responsibility to maintain the property, and they don't, so the Historic people come down every Sat. morning, and clean it up. Fed or State is supposed to maintain the exterior, but, a missing slate tile here, NJ transit truck, picking up trash, too lazy to carry bag, drives truck onto the sidewalk, occasionally hitting the columns and/or copper drain spouts.

Don't get me started.

MIna

And so it goes...What else is new?????  Idiots!

At least they could have painted windows like these?

-- hide signature --

So I Choose my Battles

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads