The secret Samyang doesn't want you to know - lens modding

Started May 17, 2017 | Discussions
dr hagiu New Member • Posts: 13
The secret Samyang doesn't want you to know - lens modding

So i was wondering if I have a multiple camera system colection, do I need to have the same lens twice if I want to use it on both systems?

And having different Samyang lenses for Samsung NX and m4/3 but as well Sony E I figured that they can easily be swapped with just unscrewing 3 ( samsung NX and m4/3) to 6 ( sony E) screws.

Observation - All the m4/3 lenses have a big metal mount with an extension - examples from photozine:

They all have that thick metal mount.
It's only logic that it is simple to swap the mounts because it's the most efficient way as a production plan.

Here are the mounts - upper samsung nx - lower m4/3 - the thick metal ring.

the back of the lense with the mount ring removed, you can observe the screw holes

Perfect fit. Remember the picture on the right.

So above you can see the lenses with their mounts removed. Sony E mount Samyang lenses have a little plastic extender and afterwards they have their metal mount. I hypothesize that is the same with fuji X and EOS M as their flange distance is smaller that Samsung NX and they have the plastic extension.  Samsung NX doesn't need an extender as their flange distance is among the biggest between mirrorless. M4/3 have their big thick ring that accomodates the distance.

Also wonder why they don't sell the 8mm fisheye f/2.8 to mft  - I guess because it's about 150 degrees wide not 180. But f/2.8!

I shall soon upload the picture with Sony E, i can't seem to find it now and I have to go to work. 
Best regards!

dr hagiu's gear list:dr hagiu's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
generikku Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Re: The secret Samyang doesn't want you to know - lens modding

Well done. Now, if only I can find cheap spare E-Mount parts... Maybe by cannibalizing an adapter?

generikku's gear list:generikku's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
OP dr hagiu New Member • Posts: 13

Actually that really works, i have another post, you can use the body cap to do it:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56319453 you do need a bit of extra plastic to make the pin of the body secure the mount.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,513

Why not just use an adapter?

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Canon EOS 20D +28 more

Adapter between mirrorless systems? Samsung NX - MFT and Sony E. Point me to one!

photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,513

That why I buy Nikon mount lenses, they can adapt to E, M43 and others as well as non mirrorless.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Canon EOS 20D +28 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,264

dr hagiu wrote:

Adapter between mirrorless systems? Samsung NX - MFT and Sony E. Point me to one!

Here's a random one on eBay from Micro Four Thirds to Sony E-Mount:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/272604592584

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7

Nice! Thank you! 
I do agree with with the normal adapter and DSLR/SLR lenses that are easily swapable between every mirrorless system. The downside is the weight and thus the samyang dedicated lenses offer a small form factor with a very high quality.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,129

photoholiko wrote:

That why I buy Nikon mount lenses, they can adapt to E, M43 and others as well as non mirrorless.

Exactly. I don't like messing around with flanges, dust is the enemy.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,465

dr hagiu wrote:

I find your information truly useful.  I have a couple of becoming redundant NX lenses that I would like to use on M4/3.

However the mount flange focal distance needs to be shorter not longer.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,264

Tom Caldwell wrote:

dr hagiu wrote:

I find your information truly useful. I have a couple of becoming redundant NX lenses that I would like to use on M4/3.

However the mount flange focal distance needs to be shorter not longer.

From memory the FFD for Samsung NX is 25.5mm, and MFT is 19.25mm, so there should just be room for an adapter. Here's a discussion about custom adapters from NX to Fujifilm X (17.7mm):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4119927

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
George Wilt Forum Member • Posts: 85

Long time lurker.

I found this to be a very interesting and informative thread, especially for DIYers.

It made me think about third party lens manufacturers of which I understand there are only a few. However (there is always a however, isn't there?) there seems to be a fair number of new third party lenses appearing on the market. Does anyone know or have a link to who makes what for whom?

This info would also be interesting for RF and SLR.

TIA,

George

George Wilt's gear list:George Wilt's gear list
Canon G1 X II
Re: Test shots

Shots with the Samyang 8mm on Olympus OM-D5. Not as wide as on APS-C but wide, also, easier to defish with the tokina 10-17 preset from lightroom.

corrected

Had only one camera with me so no direct comparisons for now, sorry. 
Also, tried to compare a bit the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on Speed Booster vs Samyang 12mm on the Olympus and the Tamron is actually a bit wider with a bit more distortion and the wide end.

Best regards!

generikku Contributing Member • Posts: 724

Interesting DIY solution. Do you have more detailed info up somewhere on how you did it? Did you eventually come up with another solution or sticking with that?

generikku's gear list:generikku's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5

How i did it?
I just unscrewed the screws from the mounts and switched the mounts between, like in the pictures. It works like a charm, you can see the test shots in my reply - "test shots".

I did actually order a MFT to Sony E adapter just to test a bit more. I also build my self a Samsung NX to Sony E adapter of a plastic cap:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56319453

Looks like a machining issue only

dr hagiu wrote:

How i did it?
I just unscrewed the screws from the mounts and switched the mounts between, like in the pictures. It works like a charm, you can see the test shots in my reply - "test shots".

I did actually order a MFT to Sony E adapter just to test a bit more. I also build my self a Samsung NX to Sony E adapter of a plastic cap:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56319453

Obviously conversion mounts can be made up by any good machinist and could easily be made in bulk by CNC machining.

They would only be truly useful for MF lenses.  But there must be a growing number of NX mount users looking for a place to go who own convertable lens stocks.  Even second hand  NX mount lenses coming on to the market would become interesting.

What would take all this to a higher plane would be an adapter with a conversion chip in it to enable Sony E or M4/3 mount bodies to properly communticate with NX mount electonic lenses.  Samsung were making some interesting lenses for the NX mount.  These might become increasingly attractively priced as the NX mount fades from view.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Re: Looks like a machining issue only

Fun Fact! You can use a failed 20-50 ( cost me about 15$) without aperture control because you can move the focus part by hand ( the focus ring is by wire but you can actually turn the front part and it works) and the zoom as well. It actually coveres full-frame from 24mm (tested a bit on my Sony A7).

But it would be awesome to hack the NX lenses to work with MFT/ Sony E lenses. Imagine the 16-50 f/2-2.8 on a Sony A6500. Or the 30mm pancake on either MFT or Sony E!

Useful table but contains errors

This is a useful adaptability table but contains errors

http://www.similaar.com/foto/lensmount/lensmount.html

For example LTM will adapt to NX but LM can only do so if your replace the mount with an LM only one.

LM will adapt to every lens M39 to LM and adapters should all be available despite the author labelling them "-" by which he suggests that it makes no sense so he doesn't know.

Maybe there is a more thoroughly researched table somewhere else.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Test Shots - Samsung NX

Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,523
Re: Looks like a machining issue only

dr hagiu wrote:

Fun Fact! You can use a failed 20-50 ( cost me about 15$) without aperture control because you can move the focus part by hand ( the focus ring is by wire but you can actually turn the front part and it works) and the zoom as well. It actually coveres full-frame from 24mm (tested a bit on my Sony A7).

But it would be awesome to hack the NX lenses to work with MFT/ Sony E lenses. Imagine the 16-50 f/2-2.8 on a Sony A6500. Or the 30mm pancake on either MFT or Sony E!

Funny thing:  There's a guy who is WAY ahead of me in reverse engineering the NX mount than I am with my E-mount efforts.

But wedging all of the contacts into an adapter would be quite the challenge - almost surely the circuitry would have to be outside of the adapter in some sort of a bulge/extension.

Hell as it is, I still can't come up with a way to DIY a set of EF spring pin contacts myself, even in a setup with the large delta between EF and E flange distances. 

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads