Daniel J. Cox Compares Predictive AF of Lumix GH5, G85, Oly EM-1 Markll & Nikon D500

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
danieljcox
danieljcox Contributing Member • Posts: 797
Daniel J. Cox Compares Predictive AF of Lumix GH5, G85, Oly EM-1 Markll & Nikon D500

There was recently a great deal of drama across mainly video forums and blogs regarding the new Lumix GH5 and it's autofocus capabilities while shooting video. All of it based on a concern about AF issues on a subject moving slightly back and forth in front of the camera. Video selfies you might call them. The internet was on fire for a week or two. Now that it's settled down, I wanted to share my findings on a related topic that nobody has been writing about. The GH5's Predictive AF capabilities with subjects moving as fast as 75mph towards the camera.

A 100% enlargement of a car traveling at between 65-75mph towards me and the GH5 using Predictive AF. Almost 10,000 frames were shot between four tested cameras. See the results of for yourself at http://naturalexposures.com/predictive-af-comparison-tests-lumix-gh5-g85-oly-em-1-markll-nikon-d500/

With the "kerfuffle" (one of my wife's favorite expressions) the video selfies drama created, the GH5's world class Predictive AF capabilities, have been overshadowed, which is a feature many of us so desperately need. Up until the GH5 and arguably the Olympus OM-D EM-1 Markkll, we did not have the kind of Predictive AF tools we had with the traditional DSLR's from Nikon and Canon. That's all changed with the GH5 and these tests will show you there is one camera considerably better than all the others.

Warning!
The following link may contain graphic and potentially disturbing material.
Daniel J. Cox Compares Predictive AF of Lumix GH5, G85, Oly EM-1 Markll and Nikon D500

If you're squeamish about some photographer promoting his Blog, then do us all a favor by following the link above. If the Editorial Note below makes you feel better about me being upfront about where I'm coming from, then, by all means, come join the conversation.

Editorial Note:

I work with Panasonic as a Lumix Luminary. Some may think this will affect my integrity regarding these kinds of reviews. Nothing could be further from the truth. I worked with Nikon, unofficially, for nearly 35 years and I never received a dime. But I did so because I believed in their products. I now feel the same about Panasonic Lumix. Panasonic approached me to become a Luminary almost ten years after I first purchased one of their cameras, the Lumix GF1. Though Panasonic pays me a small stipend annually, no amount of money is worth the trust I've established with my readers and people who know me. I feel it's important for readers to know my connection to Panasonic so you can decide for yourself.

-- hide signature --
 danieljcox's gear list:danieljcox's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +17 more
Nikon D500 Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 17,981
Re: Daniel J. Cox Compares Predictive AF of Lumix GH5, G85, Oly EM-1 Markll & Nikon D500

Thank you for some very interesting experiments.

However, I have the following comments:

1. This is a test of how the cameras perform with minimal customisation of the AF settings.  It is not a test of how the cameras perform with optimum settings.  BIF photographers will tell you that finding the optimum C-AF settings for a new camera body can take months of experimentation.
  2. This is a test of predictive focus only with the target coming straight towards you.  It doesn't test the other aspects of continuous autofocus performance, e.g. the ability to lock on to a target very rapidly, to lock onto a small target and to stay locked on even if the target moves erratically and moves across difficult and changing backgrounds.
  3. The photographers on these forums who are most interested in C-AF performance are either BIF or sports photographers.  I am not sure how relevant your tests are for them.
  4. It would be interesting if vass or drj3 were able to get hold of a GH5 for sufficient time to fully test it out for their photography of swallows.  For me that is just about the most extreme test of continuous focusing that you can get.
-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
danieljcox
OP danieljcox Contributing Member • Posts: 797
Re: Daniel J. Cox Compares Predictive AF of Lumix GH5, G85, Oly EM-1 Markll & Nikon D500

Chris R-UK wrote:

Thank you for some very interesting experiments.

However, I have the following comments:

1. This is a test of how the cameras perform with minimal customisation of the AF settings. It is not a test of how the cameras perform with optimum settings. BIF photographers will tell you that finding the optimum C-AF settings for a new camera body can take months of experimentation.
  2. This is a test of predictive focus only with the target coming straight towards you. It doesn't test the other aspects of continuous autofocus performance, e.g. the ability to lock on to a target very rapidly, to lock onto a small target and to stay locked on even if the target moves erratically and moves across difficult and changing backgrounds.
  3. The photographers on these forums who are most interested in C-AF performance are either BIF or sports photographers. I am not sure how relevant your tests are for them.
  4. It would be interesting if vass or drj3 were able to get hold of a GH5 for sufficient time to fully test it out for their photography of swallows. For me that is just about the most extreme test of continuous focusing that you can get.

Chris, as I mentioned in the Blog, right up front, there will be other possible settings but I'm not interested in an AF system that needs, in your words, "months of experimentation" to figure out. You may have confidence in drj3 or vass with flying swallows but I can tell you I've spent nearly forty years specializing in photos of things that move fast and erratic. Like the cover below of a great gray owl coming straight at the camera for a cover story, I did for National Geographic.

2005 cover story for National Geographic on Great Gray Owls.

Point is, I have a long history of knowing the difference between good AF and not so good AF. That's why it's important for readers to do some background checks on the folks they read about. There's partial trust involved in things like this.

Additionally, flying swallows may make a great test, but I can tell you, once again, based on experience, nobody pays for photos of a flying swallow. They do pay for larger birds and fast moving cars, football players coming our of the backfield and the like.

I'm confident that these Predictive AF tests are very accurate and quality examples of how the GH5 will perform with virtually all, fast, erratic moving subjects. I've come to that conclusion based on the tests I shot and partially on the forty years of experience I've had, on the job, producing works for some of the largest most respected publishers in the world.

Daniel J. Cox Lumix Luminary
http://www.naturalexposures.com
http://naturalexposures.com/corkboard/
#Lumixlounge

Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +17 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 6,496

Thank you for taking the time to do these tests and post your results

I also agree 100% with your comment...

...as I mentioned in the Blog, right up front, there will be other possible settings but I'm not interested in an AF system that needs, in your words, "months of experimentation" to figure out.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +12 more
Bob657 Senior Member • Posts: 3,168

Hi Daniel, thanks for doing this.  While I agree with Chris UK on his points #2,3 and 4, I agree with you that AF should just work as simply as possible.  I have the EM1 Mark 2 and really appreciate the AF system but wish they had made it simpler.  Friends with the D500 have success with settings straight out of the box comparable to my customized ones, we both get there but I have to work harder.

It would be really interesting to see tests done on more challenging subjects, I can see where having plentiful opportunities might be tough for, say, BIf though.

I was surprised that you did an af microadjust on the 300f4, I had heard that was not operative on m4/3 lenses.  Did you use Lens Align or some other system?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bob G
Visit my website at:
http://bobgreenberg9918.zenfolio.com

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +2 more
Hiker2660 New Member • Posts: 4

Interesting test. Do you happen to know what firmware version the Olympus lens was using?

Lufthummel Junior Member • Posts: 29

Hi Daniel,

thanks a lot for your test!! Regarding 6K:

"Unfortunately, there is no way to extract these files once you take them from the camera so you have select the individual stills while the 6K Photo Mode file is still in the camera. Not a perfect solution but one we can live with until software catches up with this amazing camera technology. That is going to be unbelievable."

I wrote a small Lightroom plugin which leverage ffmpeg to extract images from the stream. Supports both Batch mode as well as a mode to extract images based on frame number. You can find it here:

https://github.com/Lufthummel/Lumix_Metadata/tree/master/lr_ffmpeg/dist

Ffmpeg & Exiftool are part of Distribution so no additional installation required. If you want extract Hires jpegs you must install ImageMagick and set the path to it in PluginManager.

Screenshot here (text in German, sorry)

https://www.systemkamera-forum.de/topic/117114-erste-erkenntnisse-und-erfahrungen-mit-der-panasonic-gh5/page-53#entry1404860

Enjoy,

Holger

Lufthummel's gear list:Lufthummel's gear list
Panasonic GH5
DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,937

Bob657 wrote:

Hi Daniel, thanks for doing this. While I agree with Chris UK on his points #2,3 and 4, I agree with you that AF should just work as simply as possible. I have the EM1 Mark 2 and really appreciate the AF system but wish they had made it simpler. Friends with the D500 have success with settings straight out of the box comparable to my customized ones, we both get there but I have to work harder.

Well, may I) assume that they were Nikon shooters and knew what to do?
With Oly and Panny it's a different story as they are new in the land of competitive C-AF systems. So there are no experiences you can har back on.

It would be really interesting to see tests done on more challenging subjects, I can see where having plentiful opportunities might be tough for, say, BIf though.

I was surprised that you did an af microadjust on the 300f4, I had heard that was not operative on m4/3 lenses. Did you use Lens Align or some other system?

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,937

danieljcox wrote:

There was recently a great deal of drama across mainly video forums and blogs regarding the new Lumix GH5 and it's autofocus capabilities while shooting video. All of it based on a concern about AF issues on a subject moving slightly back and forth in front of the camera. Video selfies you might call them. The internet was on fire for a week or two. Now that it's settled down, I wanted to share my findings on a related topic that nobody has been writing about. The GH5's Predictive AF capabilities with subjects moving as fast as 75mph towards the camera.

A 100% enlargement of a car traveling at between 65-75mph towards me and the GH5 using Predictive AF. Almost 10,000 frames were shot between four tested cameras. See the results of for yourself at http://naturalexposures.com/predictive-af-comparison-tests-lumix-gh5-g85-oly-em-1-markll-nikon-d500/

With the "kerfuffle" (one of my wife's favorite expressions) the video selfies drama created, the GH5's world class Predictive AF capabilities, have been overshadowed, which is a feature many of us so desperately need. Up until the GH5 and arguably the Olympus OM-D EM-1 Markkll, we did not have the kind of Predictive AF tools we had with the traditional DSLR's from Nikon and Canon. That's all changed with the GH5 and these tests will show you there is one camera considerably better than all the others.

Warning!
Daniel J. Cox Compares Predictive AF of Lumix GH5, G85, Oly EM-1 Markll and Nikon D500

If you're squeamish about some photographer promoting his Blog, then do us all a favor by following the link above. If the Editorial Note below makes you feel better about me being upfront about where I'm coming from, then, by all means, come join the conversation.

Editorial Note:

I work with Panasonic as a Lumix Luminary. Some may think this will affect my integrity regarding these kinds of reviews. Nothing could be further from the truth. I worked with Nikon, unofficially, for nearly 35 years and I never received a dime. But I did so because I believed in their products. I now feel the same about Panasonic Lumix. Panasonic approached me to become a Luminary almost ten years after I first purchased one of their cameras, the Lumix GF1. Though Panasonic pays me a small stipend annually, no amount of money is worth the trust I've established with my readers and people who know me. I feel it's important for readers to know my connection to Panasonic so you can decide for yourself.

Thanks for the effort and all but I don't regard this test as highly significant. A car travellling at a consistent speed ain't a challenge for any C-AF system. I could shoot well focused series of cars travelling at 100kph with the rudimentarty C-AF of my E-M5 MKI. Therefore, I don't regard doing so with an E-MI MII, a GH5 or a D500 as particularloy meaningful.  In addition, I wonder why the X-T2 wasn't included.

Furthermore, you write in your blog that you are working as Lumix Luminary but that this won't make any impact on your reviews. But while you certainly try to be impartial the fact that you know your Panny gear just better than the rest will help you to squeeze better performance out of it.

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 1,441

Were the aperture settings the same? Just looking at the small web sized images it seems that the depth of field is much less for the Olympus shots than, say, the GH5 with the 100-400.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +11 more
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 1,894

DonParrot wrote:

danieljcox wrote:

Warning!

Editorial Note:

Thanks for the effort and all but I don't regard this test as highly significant. A car travellling at a consistent speed ain't a challenge for any C-AF system. I could shoot well focused series of cars travelling at 100kph with the rudimentarty C-AF of my E-M5 MKI. Therefore, I don't regard doing so with an E-MI MII, a GH5 or a D500 as particularloy meaningful. In addition, I wonder why the X-T2 wasn't included.

Furthermore, you write in your blog that you are working as Lumix Luminary but that this won't make any impact on your reviews. But while you certainly try to be impartial the fact that you know your Panny gear just better than the rest will help you to squeeze better performance out of it.

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

Now thats true Don - simple test and even rudimentary C-AF system should do. However - as you see - even with a simple test there is a difference.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +4 more
pannumon Senior Member • Posts: 1,601
Peer-review :)

Thanks for doing the tests and sharing the results! I like the simple test setup, because it allows sufficient replication in reasonably repeatable environment.

It would be unrealistic to assume that this or any single test could give an ultimate answer to the question about which camera has the best AF(C). This test is a good beginning, and shows that GH5 at least in some environment has very competitive AFC capabilities. More tests from various testers and different test-setups are needed in order to get a good overall view.

I see that Daniel you have prepared for a storm. It is very easy to criticize any test, and all the tests have their weaknesses. However, designing a repeatable and doable test is not as easy at it might sound. Like you mentioned, those who don't like the tests are free to do design their own test setups, run the tests and analyze and publish the data (using their own name).

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +13 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 13,922
Another perspective, another result...

I have found my GH4 never had mch problems either with these sort of things. But it changed with things that are less contrasty. Also action that seriously moves through the frame tests the cam more..Not only the AF system but also the EVF and how responsive it is.

So this to me means not so much, it is the strength of DFD. OSPDAF cannot show its power. But when it comes to animals and especially BIFS your luck might change.

Having said all that: DFD is quite an impressive feat.

At mirrorlesscomparison I have to say we see a more thorough test and here while impressive, DFD does lose clearly on the wildife AF...

GH5 still great for CDAF but loses clearly

As expected D500 wins when it comes to focussing but EM1.2 is the overall winner from their perspective for wildlife shooting...GH5 finishes last.

Given Panasonic indeed does fall behind Fuji XT2 and A6500 for 4K videofocussing, Panasonic would do well not to focus on the future where one day DFD will reign supreme. They need to live in the here and now and now OSPDAF combined with DFD when OSPDAF is less suitable (failing light especially) actually would make them trump all others. There might be unknown reasons why they do not do this, but without additional information it seems simple: Panasonic needs to get its act together...

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 13,922
So JPG should be the deciding IQ parameter?

So which cam does get the best IQ straight out of the cam should determine which one is better? Or is it RAW, getting  it in  Photshop and take your time to fine tune the output and get the best possible performance? I think RAw is the best and I  think finetuning AF is not a problem if it , like RAW does for IQ, gets you significantly better AF performance.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 1,894
Re: Another perspective, another result...

With all respect to you and both tests - it seems to me that for wildlife and birds GH5 is last, for car races and athletics it is best - now which one to choose wink.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +4 more
Sdlv Regular Member • Posts: 148

From your blog:

It’s the Phase Detection system that Olympus, Nikon, and Canon uses that requires they all have the ability for Micro Lens Adjustments. Micro Lens Adjustment, in the menu of the cameras I mentioned, allows the photographer to change the calibration of lens and camera that is either back or front focusing, a common problem with Phase Detection systems. The GH5 doesn’t have a Micro Lens Adjustment option since it’s never needed. I experienced back focus issues for many years when I was shooting Nikon bodies. The issue raised it’s ugly head again this past February while shooting the new Olympus OM-D EM-1 Markll with the amazing Olympus 300m F/4. I knew the Olympus 300mm was much sharper than the images I was getting. I finally did a proper test and found the lens and camera were back focusing. A tweak of the Micro Lens Adjustment on the camera took care of the problem but I’m happier the GH5 doesn’t need this option.

My understanding, from Olympus, is that for CAF and hybrid SAF the EM1ii uses on-sensor PDAF, which (in theory) doesn't require periodic micro-adjustment.  Can you elaborate on why you think m4/3 lenses need micro-adjustment on an E-M1ii.

Your result -- contradicting evidence reported elsewhere -- cries out for replication (and more thorough multi-dimensional testing) from one or more independent sources.

. . . Steven

Sdlv's gear list:Sdlv's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 II
danieljcox

Bob657 wrote:

Hi Daniel, thanks for doing this. While I agree with Chris UK on his points #2,3 and 4, I agree with you that AF should just work as simply as possible. I have the EM1 Mark 2 and really appreciate the AF system but wish they had made it simpler. Friends with the D500 have success with settings straight out of the box comparable to my customized ones, we both get there but I have to work harder.

I was surprised that you did an af microadjust on the 300f4, I had heard that was not operative on m4/3 lenses. Did you use Lens Align or some other system?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Bob G
Visit my website at:
http://bobgreenberg9918.zenfolio.com

The micro adjustment was done right in the Olympus OM-D EM-1 Markll body.

My comment about AF needing to just work stems from my many years of using Nikon's AF system that had very few options we needed to mess with. So I agree with you, Nikon seems to have simplicity nailed down but as you can see, the Lumix with mostly default settings did better than the D500 so I think all the fiddling is not as necessary as many people think. Thaks for joining the conversation.

Daniel J. Cox Lumix Luminary
http://www.naturalexposures.com
http://naturalexposures.com/corkboard/
#Lumixlounge

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,507

I'm not doubting your results with the E-M1 Mk II, but it's opposite from my experience. I just finished a grammar school track meet last Wednesday using two E-M1 Mk II with 40-150/2.8 on one camera and 100-400 on the other with both lenses set for maximum aperture, any where from 10 to 18 fps, my success rate was over 90% if I eliminate the obvious such as someone getting in front of my intended subject or when I didn't maintain focus point on the subject. Single point focus, C-AF lock set to +2. I also covered the Philly Broad Street run a week ago using the 12-100/4.0 at f/5.6 using 5 point box at 10 fps, and enjoyed similar success.

I have plenty of confidence with two bike-a-thons coming up covering the finish line to using the 12-100/4.0 on one of them and 40-150/2.8 on the second at f/5.6 & f/2.8 respectively and will enjoy similar results.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Samsung NX1 Nikon D810 +26 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Senior Member • Posts: 4,141

Sdlv wrote:

From your blog:

It’s the Phase Detection system that Olympus, Nikon, and Canon uses that requires they all have the ability for Micro Lens Adjustments. Micro Lens Adjustment, in the menu of the cameras I mentioned, allows the photographer to change the calibration of lens and camera that is either back or front focusing, a common problem with Phase Detection systems. The GH5 doesn’t have a Micro Lens Adjustment option since it’s never needed. I experienced back focus issues for many years when I was shooting Nikon bodies. The issue raised it’s ugly head again this past February while shooting the new Olympus OM-D EM-1 Markll with the amazing Olympus 300m F/4. I knew the Olympus 300mm was much sharper than the images I was getting. I finally did a proper test and found the lens and camera were back focusing. A tweak of the Micro Lens Adjustment on the camera took care of the problem but I’m happier the GH5 doesn’t need this option.

My understanding, from Olympus, is that for CAF and hybrid SAF the EM1ii uses on-sensor PDAF, which (in theory) doesn't require periodic micro-adjustment. Can you elaborate on why you think m4/3 lenses need micro-adjustment on an E-M1ii.

Your result -- contradicting evidence reported elsewhere -- cries out for replication (and more thorough multi-dimensional testing) from one or more independent sources.

. . . Steven

I have an extensive set of Four Thirds lenses to use on my EM1.1.  They all require micro focus adjustments, broadly similar ones to the E30.  This corrects for lens properties.  You are right that OSPDAf doesn't require correction for body properties.  Apparently my E30 is fairly well calibrated.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7R +26 more
danieljcox
Re: Another perspective, another result...

Jorginho wrote:

I have found my GH4 never had mch problems either with these sort of things. But it changed with things that are less contrasty. Also action that seriously moves through the frame tests the cam more..Not only the AF system but also the EVF and how responsive it is.

So this to me means not so much, it is the strength of DFD. OSPDAF cannot show its power. But when it comes to animals and especially BIFS your luck might change.

Having said all that: DFD is quite an impressive feat.

At mirrorlesscomparison I have to say we see a more thorough test and here while impressive, DFD does lose clearly on the wildife AF...

GH5 still great for CDAF but loses clearly

As expected D500 wins when it comes to focussing but EM1.2 is the overall winner from their perspective for wildlife shooting...GH5 finishes last.

With all due respect to Mathieu at Mirrorlessons and his nice work, but he's not a serious wildlife shooter. I've been shooting birds in flight and wildlife and making a paid living to do so, for a very, very long time.  Just something to keep in mind. Experience is a powerful tool when it comes to shooting moving subjects.

Given Panasonic indeed does fall behind Fuji XT2 and A6500 for 4K videofocussing, Panasonic would do well not to focus on the future where one day DFD will reign supreme. They need to live in the here and now and now OSPDAF combined with DFD when OSPDAF is less suitable (failing light especially) actually would make them trump all others. There might be unknown reasons why they do not do this, but without additional information it seems simple: Panasonic needs to get its act together...

I'm guessing you haven't looked at the 6K video footage of the car coming at the camera and stopped it on individual frames? I've never seen anything like this. And I also disagree that Panasonic should be doing OSPDAF like everybody else. Being the same has never got anybody out front. I personally feel DFD is on track to fast become the best. I'm very happy they're sticking with it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads