Size of Sensor On The Best Premium Smartphones

Started May 13, 2017 | Discussions
ryder78 Contributing Member • Posts: 650
Size of Sensor On The Best Premium Smartphones

I am doing a compilation on smartphones which are touted to have the highest quality camera. I cannot find information on the size of the sensor on the specification page of most smartphones. Perhaps phone manufacturers do not want to reveal the size of the tiny sensors on their products.

I will start off with smartphones which have the largest sensor, followed by those with smaller sensors.

1. Panasonic Lumix CM1 _____________________ 1"

2. Nokia Pureview 808 _______________________ 1/1.2"

3. Nokia N8 __________________________________ 1/1.8"

4. Google Pixel / Pixel + ______________________ 1/2.3" (not too bad for a current design)

5. Nokia Lumia 1520 _________________________ 1/2.5"

6. Samsung Galaxy 8 / 8+ ____________________ ?

7. Huawei P10 / P10+ ________________________ ?

8. LG G6 _____________________________________ ?

9. Apple iPhone ______________________________ ?

How is the performance of the Google Pixel's camera? It appears to have a pretty large sensor, for a "proper" smartphone.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP ryder78 Contributing Member • Posts: 650
Minimum Size of Sensor For A Good Camera Phone

Any thoughts on the minimum size of the sensor that a good camera phone should have? In my opinion, it's 1/1.7".

Can Nokia, Samsung, LG, Huawei or any other phone manufacturer come up with a product with a sensor size of at least 1/1.7" by dropping the slim profile of the phone? Just one model would do. Can this be a possibility in the near future?

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,448
Re: Minimum Size of Sensor For A Good Camera Phone

I do not think there will be a thick smart phone coming out any time soon. I think clever algorithms to deal with existing hardware may be thr key. This is all possible thx to more powerful cpus in smart phones

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 594
Re: Size of Sensor On The Best Premium Smartphones

ryder78 wrote:

I am doing a compilation on smartphones which are touted to have the highest quality camera. I cannot find information on the size of the sensor on the specification page of most smartphones. Perhaps phone manufacturers do not want to reveal the size of the tiny sensors on their products.

I will start off with smartphones which have the largest sensor, followed by those with smaller sensors.

Nokia 1020 should be on this list.

supeyugin1 Contributing Member • Posts: 858

vv50 wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

Nokia 1020 2/3"

Sony Xperia XZ 1/2.3"

HTC 10 1/2.3"

Galaxy S8 1/2.5"

Microsoft Lumia 950 1/2.4"

Blackberry Priv 1/2.4"

LG G6 1/3"

Apple 1/3"

Samsung Galaxy K Zoom 1/2.3"

supeyugin1's gear list:supeyugin1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon G9 X II Fujifilm XF10 Pentax Q7 Samsung NX mini +10 more
Stevan G Contributing Member • Posts: 591

bigley Ling wrote:

I do not think there will be a thick smart phone coming out any time soon. I think clever algorithms to deal with existing hardware may be thr key. This is all possible thx to more powerful cpus in smart phones

there is no clever algorithm(and you could run it on Cray regarding powerful CPU) that could produce a picture like this without proper sensor & flash

https://image.ibb.co/kZWBBQ/2017_05_13_1890.jpg

once you get used to this level of clarity there is no going back to other cameraphones

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

there is no clever algorithm(and you could run it on Cray regarding powerful CPU) that could produce a picture like this without proper sensor & flash

once you get used to this level of clarity there is no going back to other cameraphones

True! Nothing like a Xenon flash to freeze motion and provide full illumination when there is none.

Will have to investigate more into the S8's triple shot algorithm which seems to be able to capture 3 exposures with no visible lag. I know it will not match and 808 or 1020 for outright resolution as it only has a 12MP sensor but lets hope the ability to process multiple exposures will result is more detail with less water color type noise reduction.

Apple iPhone X

bigley Ling wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

once you get used to this level of clarity there is no going back to other cameraphones

True! Nothing like a Xenon flash to freeze motion and provide full illumination when there is none.

Will have to investigate more into the S8's triple shot algorithm which seems to be able to capture 3 exposures with no visible lag. I know it will not match and 808 or 1020 for outright resolution as it only has a 12MP sensor but lets hope the ability to process multiple exposures will result is more detail with less water color type noise reduction.

don't hold your hopes high, I had a friend with S8 next to me and we both pictured a couple dancing on the wedding...the results weren't even comparable

vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 594

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

don't hold your hopes high, I had a friend with S8 next to me and we both pictured a couple dancing on the wedding...the results weren't even comparable

if the subject is in motion, you need a camera that can prioritize shutter speed. most phones with default auto mode will prioritize exposure, in indoor light that will be less than ideal to stop blur.

True that.

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,456

vv50 wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

if the subject is in motion, you need a camera that can prioritize shutter speed. most phones with default auto mode will prioritize exposure, in indoor light that will be less than ideal to stop blur.

true, wonder why phone manufactures are so averse to Xenon, its the one option that literally freezes motion like on a DSLR etc. do you think its the size of the module, the cost, battery consumption etc.? just wondering...

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more

Jostian wrote:

vv50 wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

true, wonder why phone manufactures are so averse to Xenon, its the one option that literally freezes motion like on a DSLR etc. do you think its the size of the module, the cost, battery consumption etc.? just wondering...

Cost. Xenon flashes are not cheap in relatI've to phone costs. Also xenon flashes require high current discharge which on turn needs capacitors  requiring more juice and space.

Apple iPhone X

vv50 wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

Yes shutter priority works but at the sacrifice in quality. At times it.may be good to be able to get the shot rather than just a blurry mess

Here is a shot which I used shutter priority using the app camera pixels for iOS

iPhone se using shutter priority

Apple iPhone X
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,214

bigley Ling wrote:

The key will be faster sensor readout.  90% of smartphone images can be taken at 1/60s.  The latest Sony Smartphone sensor can read-out two images in 1/60s allowing the camera to combine images for better HDR and/or lower noise without having to compensate for subject movement.  I can see sensor readout doubling again in the next 2 years giving even further IQ improvements.  This is why we will never again see larger sensors in smartphones.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro

supeyugin1 wrote:

vv50 wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

Nokia 1020 2/3"

Sony Xperia XZ 1/2.3"

HTC 10 1/2.3"

Galaxy S8 1/2.5"

Blackberry Priv 1/2.4"

LG G6 1/3"

Apple 1/3"

HTC U11 1/2.55"

Van Nostrand Regular Member • Posts: 387

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

"https://image.ibb.co/kZWBBQ/2017_05_13_1890.jpg"

Nokia 808 for the win

Jostian

Van Nostrand wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

bigley Ling wrote:

"https://image.ibb.co/kZWBBQ/2017_05_13_1890.jpg"

Nokia 808 for the win

yes it remains brilliant IQ wise, that Xenon flash is awesome.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more

supeyugin1 wrote:

supeyugin1 wrote:

vv50 wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

Nokia 1020 2/3"

Sony Xperia XZ 1/2.3"

HTC 10 1/2.3"

Galaxy S8 1/2.5"

Blackberry Priv 1/2.4"

LG G6 1/3"

Apple 1/3"

HTC U11 1/2.55"

Blackberry KEYOne 1/2.3"

supeyugin1 wrote:

supeyugin1 wrote:

supeyugin1 wrote:

vv50 wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

Nokia 1020 2/3"

Sony Xperia XZ 1/2.3"

HTC 10 1/2.3"

Galaxy S8 1/2.5"

Blackberry Priv 1/2.4"

LG G6 1/3"

Apple 1/3"

HTC U11 1/2.55"

Blackberry KEYOne 1/2.3"

Hmm would be interesting to see the image quality of the KEYOne. It is a very unique smartphone that still has a physical keyboard.

Apple iPhone X
Jostian

bigley Ling wrote:

supeyugin1 wrote:

supeyugin1 wrote:

supeyugin1 wrote:

vv50 wrote:

ryder78 wrote:

Nokia 1020 2/3"

Sony Xperia XZ 1/2.3"

HTC 10 1/2.3"

Galaxy S8 1/2.5"

Blackberry Priv 1/2.4"

LG G6 1/3"

Apple 1/3"

HTC U11 1/2.55"

Blackberry KEYOne 1/2.3"

Hmm would be interesting to see the image quality of the KEYOne. It is a very unique smartphone that still has a physical keyboard.

and from what I hear using the same sensor as the Pixel...

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads