Battery pack for Profoto D2 1000w ?

Started May 10, 2017 | Discussions
Alfonso Bresciani
Alfonso Bresciani Senior Member • Posts: 1,811
Battery pack for Profoto D2 1000w ?

I heard you can use a Paul C. Buff vagabond but you can only set the strobe power to 8.5 or it will shut off. Are there any other battery pack that can be used  successfully outdoor with a profoto D2 without costing thousands? I have two Profoto B1s 500w  but I'm considering getting a D2 which is a bit more powerful for outdoor shooting at 1000 W, but I'd need to figure out a battery pack to go with it though.

-- hide signature --
 Alfonso Bresciani's gear list:Alfonso Bresciani's gear list
Sony a9
Don89 Senior Member • Posts: 1,614
Re: Battery pack for Profoto D2 1000w ?

Alfonso Bresciani wrote:

I heard you can use a Paul C. Buff vagabond but you can only set the strobe power to 8.5 or it will shut off. Are there any other battery pack that can be used successfully outdoor with a profoto D2 without costing thousands? I have two Profoto B1s 500w but I'm considering getting a D2 which is a bit more powerful for outdoor shooting at 1000 W, but I'd need to figure out a battery pack to go with it though.

Posting here is just fine for folk's experiences.  I'd contact Buff and also ask through his tech forum.  They are more than helpful and various folks post their results there too.   You can even call them...

Don89's gear list:Don89's gear list
Nikon D850
Alfonso Bresciani
OP Alfonso Bresciani Senior Member • Posts: 1,811

Don89 wrote:

Posting here is just fine for folk's experiences. I'd contact Buff and also ask through his tech forum. They are more than helpful and various folks post their results there too. You can even call them...

I looked at the Paul C Buff forums and it seems like the VLX should work fine powering up the Profoto D2 1000w. If anyone has any experience using the two together, I would love to get your feedbacks.

-- hide signature --
 Alfonso Bresciani's gear list:Alfonso Bresciani's gear list
Sony a9
kiermarc New Member • Posts: 4

Photographer who represents Profoto told me the d2 500 watt or 1000 watt moonlights can be used with Profoto's Bat PAC.  I have a 500 Watt d2 and by setting the "speed" at which the moonlight recycles to full power to 50%, my d2 gets back to full power in about 1 second.  For the 1000 Watt d2, You may have to set the recycle time to 25% and it should recycle to full power in about 4X the normal speed of getting back to "full" power.  My 500 Watt Profoto also works fine with the Buff VLX Unit and recharge time is same as with using Profoto's Bat PAC.  If there is any difference, it's negligible and not perceived by me.  Yes, "10" Power can be used.  You must go into "special menu's to change recycle "speed".  I hope this clears up Your question

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads