Has the original X100 still got its mojo?

Started May 6, 2017 | Discussions
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,346
Has the original X100 still got its mojo?

I've been curious for a long time to find out if an X-100 will work its mojo on me (already got an X-T1 + 27mm and an X30) and have come across an original 12MP X100 at a very reasonable price. Apart from AF speed, what's likely to drive me nuts, and what's likely to delight ? I don't want to spend much money on this "trial" as it may not work out for me, so not likely to buy a -T or -F. Would it be better to look for a used X100S for a little more?

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Canon G9 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +3 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JJ1983 Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Has the original X100 still got its mojo?

It's going to be a fine camera. It is somewhat old, so it has less phenomenal af and computational speed, but it's images are fine. Some people even prefer them to x trans.

Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,655

Elyharbour wrote:

I've been curious for a long time to find out if an X-100 will work its mojo on me (already got an X-T1 + 27mm and an X30) and have come across an original 12MP X100 at a very reasonable price. Apart from AF speed, what's likely to drive me nuts, and what's likely to delight ? I don't want to spend much money on this "trial" as it may not work out for me, so not likely to buy a -T or -F. Would it be better to look for a used X100S for a little more?

Fuji didn't change the following since the X100 (which suggests those were done perfectly):  same 23/2 lens; leaf shutter.

The big difference is the sensor: 12MP bayer vs. 16MP X-Trans II for X100S/X100T.  Along with that will be differences in Fuji Film Simulations.

Personally, poorer AF than the X100S (that I actually bought) would drive me nuts.

In the end, I truly believe the X100 will be a fun camera to play with if you want to embrace the hybrid view finder, leaf shutter, etc.

Keep in mind that if you aren't that into such features, you might be better off buying a 23/2.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +52 more
IKB Senior Member • Posts: 2,231

I have an early X100 and find the AF with the latest firmware quite satisfactory 95% of the time. It does misbehave occasionally but most cameras do. It's not a camera to use for sports but is great for walkabout and travel. An added bonus is that foliage looks much better than it does from X-trans sensor models.

-- hide signature --

Malcy
----------------

IKB's gear list:IKB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,655

IKB wrote:

I have an early X100 and find the AF with the latest firmware quite satisfactory 95% of the time. It does misbehave occasionally but most cameras do. It's not a camera to use for sports but is great for walkabout and travel. An added bonus is that foliage looks much better than it does from X-trans sensor models.

I've tried an X100 with the latest firmware and found its AF was like the X-E1 for me:  acceptable; but, I would pay for better.

However, if I had bought an X100 instead of the X100S as my first Fujifilm camera, I would not have upgraded from the X100 and would still use it.  I honestly feel that any X100 series camera fulfills what I enjoy in such a camera.  If I want more, I'll pull out my X-T2 or buy an X-T20.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +52 more
bs1946
bs1946 Senior Member • Posts: 5,723

Now that the X-T2 is here, is your X-T1 and antiquated piece of junk or does it still take great photographs?

It's the same with an X100; they still take great photographs. Fuji has not changed the lens or the major controls on the X100 series since the X100 was released. The original did have a few problems, mostly AF speed and reliability, but Fuji also put out a number of firmware upgrades to fix and improve everything.

As you point out, it's an experiment and you may not even like the X100 series. Unless you think there is something wrong with the X100; go for it.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
billschaffel.500px.com
instagram.com@billschaffel
When all else fails, maybe it's time to read the manual.

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Apple iPhone 7 Plus Fujifilm X100F
Elyharbour
OP Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,346

Thanks guys....seems like I'll be giving one a try! I had an X-E1 and didn't really have an AF problem for my style of photography, so should be OK for me. Thanks for the encouragement.

Canon G9 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +3 more
laddsmith Regular Member • Posts: 371

I had an early X-100, had the SAB repaired by Fuji, and sold it when I got the X-Pro 2 and my wife got the X-T10.  I had the X-100 as a small camera to augment my Nikon gear.  I completely regret selling it and would buy it back from KEH tomorrow if I could-mine was at least LN-.  All the comments about slow AF, not being good for sports, etc. are valid, but the little X-100 was a joy to use and in my opinion took awesome images-and yes better for foliage than the X-Trans.

-- hide signature --

Ladd Smith

laddsmith's gear list:laddsmith's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
caesarb Regular Member • Posts: 361

I have had the same experience with X100. It is unique in X100* series, as it is the only camera with Bayer sensor. For that reason alone, I will not sell it ever.

caesarb Regular Member • Posts: 361

I agree with this recommendation. X100 is a timeless camera. For slow, methodical, manual photography, it does not disappoint.

daedalusflies Regular Member • Posts: 101

caesarb wrote:

I have had the same experience with X100. It is unique in X100* series, as it is the only camera with Bayer sensor. For that reason alone, I will not sell it ever.

I agree entirely. X-trans is good but I am continually impressed by the 12MP Bayer sensor - skin tones and textures a lot less 'waxy'. I have both the X100 and X100s.

Haikoman Regular Member • Posts: 476

Still has it's mojo I'd say. Just make sure the diaphragm works properly as many had that problem.

-- hide signature --

Haig

94 Senior Member • Posts: 1,074

X100 + B&W = magic.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
94 Senior Member • Posts: 1,074

But it's a frustrating street camera.

I finally gave mine up and have an X100T now.

It just seemed like my X100 had developed a mind of its own and didn't like me very much. The shot I thought I'd want, a keeper, was the shot my X100 spoiled somehow or another. Can't count the times I wanted to throw it as far as I could away when it was being disagreeable or throwing a tantrum.

I never threw it but it's gone now and sometimes I miss its hissyfits. Yeah, it had mojo.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
laddsmith Regular Member • Posts: 371

94 wrote:

But it's a frustrating street camera.

I finally gave mine up and have an X100T now.

It just seemed like my X100 had developed a mind of its own and didn't like me very much. The shot I thought I'd want, a keeper, was the shot my X100 spoiled somehow or another. Can't count the times I wanted to throw it as far as I could away when it was being disagreeable or throwing a tantrum.

I never threw it but it's gone now and sometimes I miss its hissyfits. Yeah, it had mojo.

Loved mine, sadly it is gone-not sure you were describing a wife or a camera..haha...thankfully my wife is still with me.  It is a great camera, but has a few tantrums as you say.

laddsmith's gear list:laddsmith's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Elyharbour

Well, I've just bought it! So I look forward to the "experience" - hissyfits and tantrums included

Elyharbour

Haikoman wrote:

Still has it's mojo I'd say. Just make sure the diaphragm works properly as many had that problem.

Fortunately it's from a camera shop with a 12 months warranty on used items...but thanks for the heads-up.

freyabo
freyabo Forum Member • Posts: 83

Elyharbour wrote:

Well, I've just bought it! So I look forward to the "experience" - hissyfits and tantrums included

Please let us know how you get on.  I'm thinking of getting an X100 myself sometime soon.

Cheers,

Anne

KeiferH Regular Member • Posts: 194

I picked up one about a month ago in a long series of searching for a "go everywhere" camera.   I love how it looks and feels and got some GREAT results.  I shot raw and really liked the black and white treatment on street.   On my first batch I found that focus was really hit and miss and switched to Manual focus mode with back button focus.. MUCH better.  Got some pictures that I'm really proud of..

Having said that.. I have two problems that mean that I'm still on the search for that elusive "go anywhere" kit.

Firstly,   ISO performance is lacking by about a stop or so.  I couldn't get reliably good results out with friends at night.  Street was slightly different because you can always find a way to affect the image towards art

The second thing, and this is purely personal and not a fault of the camera is that the 35mm equivalent isn't quite me.  I'm more of a 50mm person it turns out.

I've grabbed a used X-T10 with the 35mm (50mm equiv) and it just arrived today and it's significantly more performant, but then I bet so is the X100f!

-- hide signature --
 KeiferH's gear list:KeiferH's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T10 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +13 more
Elyharbour

freyabo wrote:

Elyharbour wrote:

Please let us know how you get on. I'm thinking of getting an X100 myself sometime soon.

Cheers,

Anne

I will ! Should arrive tomorrow.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads