Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

Started Apr 29, 2017 | Discussions
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,324
Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

I have on old Wacom (PTZ-631W) which I believe is from the Intuos 3 series. I’ve been using this tablet without issues on my iMac which is running Yosemite 10.10.5. Has anyone had experience or seen direct confirmation of these older tablets running in Mac OS Sierra?

My searches have yielded results that were pretty much all from the overall problems with Sierra that Wacom was having after the new OS was released. It’s therefore difficult to tell whether any mentions of Intuos 3 tablets with Sierra were specific to that generation of tablet or inclusive of the Overall problems Wacom was having with the new OS.

I’m now in a bit of a quandary. I’m a Capture One 8 user and would like to upgrade to C1 10. However, Capture One 10 requires a minimum of El Capitan to run. I’d therefore be facing an upgrade of my machine to Sierra. The latest Intuos 3 driver on Wacom’s site is listed as ”MacOSX - Driver 6.3.15-3 (10.9x - 10.11x)”. I’m obviously concerned that an OS upgrade could render my tablet useless if the Wacom driver doesn’t work on Sierra.

nicolas guilbert Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

My intuous 5 touch got USB connection problems lately and I reverted back to my intuous 3, same model as you stated. On OS X Sierra. I had just to download a previous driver version and it works fine on sierra.

 nicolas guilbert's gear list:nicolas guilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
OP Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,324
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

nicolas guilbert wrote:

My intuous 5 touch got USB connection problems lately and I reverted back to my intuous 3, same model as you stated. On OS X Sierra. I had just to download a previous driver version and it works fine on sierra.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if the older driver you reverted to was v6.3.15-3? Since my post here, I found a couple of instances of Wacom Europe telling people that this driver version will work with an Intuos 3 and Sierra.

nicolas guilbert Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

Billiam29 wrote:

nicolas guilbert wrote:

My intuous 5 touch got USB connection problems lately and I reverted back to my intuous 3, same model as you stated. On OS X Sierra. I had just to download a previous driver version and it works fine on sierra.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if the older driver you reverted to was v6.3.15-3? Since my post here, I found a couple of instances of Wacom Europe telling people that this driver version will work with an Intuos 3 and Sierra.

Yes it is WacomTablet_6.3.15-3.dmg that I downloaded 10 days ago and it works on Sierra.

 nicolas guilbert's gear list:nicolas guilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
OP Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,324
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?
1

Thank you very much for the confirmation.

Ackerstein New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

unfortunately that doesn't work for me. I have installed the old driver but I get like a  yellow sheet when I start to draw. anybody has an idea what this bug is. Thanks

Pau Kokura Design New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

Hi, it seems to work now! Just upgraded normally to Sierra, without any drivers change.

Look like apple fixed it.

-- hide signature --

(1 hour ago)---

I'm having the same issue. Wacom 3 and Sierra.

I installed Sierra less than a year ago and had this type of problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YknlvoWjHrs (also some problems with folders in finder, described as well by other users)

I downgraded to El Capitan as I needed to work, but now i'm trying again. I will install Sierra, remove drivers, install Driver 6.3.15-3, and see.

Please, get in touch if someone solve it.

OP Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,324
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

Pau Kokura Design wrote:

I downgraded to El Capitan as I needed to work, but now i'm trying again. I will install Sierra, remove drivers, install Driver 6.3.15-3, and see.

Since I started this thread, I just wanted to report in that I haven't had any issues with the 6.3.15-3 driver and my Intuos 3 under Sierra. For reference, my system was a clean install of 10.12.4 subsequently updated to 10.12.5. To be honest though, I'm not a terribly sophisticated Wacom user. I only use two or three buttons on the tablet and almost never the popup menu.

If you choose to do a clean install of Sierra, keep in mind that your Wacom preferences will be restored with your user account should you restore the account from backup with Migration Assistant. I doubt this would affect the type of issue you're having but I wanted to mention it in case your intention is to start from scratch where the Wacom is concerned.

MindInRewind Senior Member • Posts: 1,255
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

Billiam29 wrote:

I have on old Wacom (PTZ-631W) which I believe is from the Intuos 3 series. I’ve been using this tablet without issues on my iMac which is running Yosemite 10.10.5. Has anyone had experience or seen direct confirmation of these older tablets running in Mac OS Sierra?

My searches have yielded results that were pretty much all from the overall problems with Sierra that Wacom was having after the new OS was released. It’s therefore difficult to tell whether any mentions of Intuos 3 tablets with Sierra were specific to that generation of tablet or inclusive of the Overall problems Wacom was having with the new OS.

I’m now in a bit of a quandary. I’m a Capture One 8 user and would like to upgrade to C1 10. However, Capture One 10 requires a minimum of El Capitan to run. I’d therefore be facing an upgrade of my machine to Sierra. The latest Intuos 3 driver on Wacom’s site is listed as ”MacOSX - Driver 6.3.15-3 (10.9x - 10.11x)”. I’m obviously concerned that an OS upgrade could render my tablet useless if the Wacom driver doesn’t work on Sierra.

I use my Intuos 3 Medium on my 2016 MBP with MacOS Sierra with no issues.

~MIR

dreamery New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?
1

Anyone still having problems with Intuos 3 on macOS10.12.x Sierra.

I spent days installing/reinstalling countless Wacom tablet drivers for my Intous 3 on macOS10.12.6 Sierra. Most of the drivers were the latest versions. None of them recognised my tablet stating, "A supported device was not found on the system"

Finally WacomTablet_6.3.8-2 worked.

coarpa New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

dreamery wrote:

Anyone still having problems with Intuos 3 on macOS10.12.x Sierra.

I spent days installing/reinstalling countless Wacom tablet drivers for my Intous 3 on macOS10.12.6 Sierra. Most of the drivers were the latest versions. None of them recognised my tablet stating, "A supported device was not found on the system"

Finally WacomTablet_6.3.8-2 worked.

Thank you, thank you after some days installing/reinstalling  I found your advise and it's working!!!

angelajstewart New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

I am very interested to know if anyone is having the same issues with High Sierra? I have the same Wacom Tablet 3 and as I'm having issues with Photoshop was going to update to Sierra but it's not longer available in the App Store and I can't risk losing the use of Wacom. I have an Apple iMac 27, Mid 2011 so not sure if it would handle it.

boskabouter New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

As far as I can tell, the WacomTablet_6.3.15-3.dmg driver works with High-Sierra. At least on my MBP 15" (2017).

I tried updating a MBP 15" (mid 2011) from Sierra to High-Sierra but that did not work (perhaps because of the fusion drive), so I had to install a backup (of Sierra). The Wacom Intuos 3 tablet works fine with Sierra (with the same tablet driver).

boris7645 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

coarpa wrote:

dreamery wrote:

Anyone still having problems with Intuos 3 on macOS10.12.x Sierra.

I spent days installing/reinstalling countless Wacom tablet drivers for my Intous 3 on macOS10.12.6 Sierra. Most of the drivers were the latest versions. None of them recognised my tablet stating, "A supported device was not found on the system"

Finally WacomTablet_6.3.8-2 worked.

Thank you, thank you after some days installing/reinstalling I found your advise and it's working!!!

Thank you so much Dreamery, 6.3.8-2 work on my MBP running Hig Sierra. I was getting desperate I almost trash my nutos 3 to go buy a new tablet. THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

PaulFan
PaulFan New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

WacomTablet_6.3.8-2 worked.

Thank you, thank you after some days installing/reinstalling I found your and it's working!!!

Thank you so much Dreamery, 6.3.8-2 work on my MBP running Hig Sierra. I was getting desperate I almost trash my 3 to go buy a new tablet. THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

Would you please tell me where to download the 6.3.8-2 driver, unable to locate on the Wacom web

-- hide signature --

Paul Fan
Canon 5Ds R / 7D / 16-35 f/4 / 24-70 f/4 / 40mm f/2.8 / Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
www.paulfan.com

Dmitrii1919 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Old Wacom (Intuos 3?) on Mac OS Sierra?

PaulFan wrote:

Would you please tell me where to download the 6.3.8-2 driver, unable to locate on the Wacom web

http://cdn.wacom.com/u/drivers/mac/pro/WacomTablet_6.3.8-2.dmg

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads