I just sold my Nikon D5 and made the jump to Sony!

Started Apr 24, 2017 | Discussions
paulnelson88
paulnelson88 Contributing Member • Posts: 539
I just sold my Nikon D5 and made the jump to Sony!

After 5 years and over 3-4 million photos taken with Nikon cameras I am officially switching to Sony! I did a photoshoot with a Nike Ultra Runner this last weekend and had the hardest time going back to the optical viewfinder and with the better DR and larger files of the A99-2 over my D5 I finally gave into Sony. I will be pre-ordering the A9 to shoot along side my A99-2! I can't tell you how many times the loud shutter noise I have scared the crap out of people lol! I will get a video up soon going over the pros and cons of using both systems and why the pros outweigh the cons on the Sony side. With the LA3 firmware update Sony is promising to the adapter and the crazy AF and buffer of the A9 I feel like I will be able to do my job better out in the field.

FYI some of these pictures are rough edits!

-- hide signature --
 paulnelson88's gear list:paulnelson88's gear list
Nikon D810 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Sony a7S II Nikon D5 +26 more
Nikon D5 Sony a9 Sony a99 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulnelson88
OP paulnelson88 Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: I just sold my Nikon D5 and made the jump to Sony!

Loud shutter does this lol

Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 4,035

Congratulations, I predict a lot of Nikon / Canon shooters will make the jump!

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +12 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092

Awesome photos. Just wondering how loud is the D5 compared to the A99ii?

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony a99 II +4 more
paulnelson88

tqlla wrote:

About twice as loud

steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,648

The only thing I would worry about with the switch is the environmental seals with the A9.  The A mount is water tight at the mount while the E mount requires a gasket (I don't believe the new 100/400 has a gasket).  I noticed Zeiss lenses which claim water tight have a gasket on the e mount.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,312

Excellent photos, Paul.  Welcome to our forum too!

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092

paulnelson88 wrote:

tqlla wrote:

About twice as loud

Yikes.  I was wondering because my A99ii sounds louder than my A99.   The A99 had a slower chirp-chirp noise.  The A99ii has a louder clasp noise

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony a99 II +4 more
paulnelson88
  1. contadorfan wrote:

Excellent photos, Paul. Welcome to our forum too!

Thanks!

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,098

steelhead3 wrote:

The only thing I would worry about with the switch is the environmental seals with the A9. The A mount is water tight at the mount while the E mount requires a gasket (I don't believe the new 100/400 has a gasket). I noticed Zeiss lenses which claim water tight have a gasket on the e mount.

The next version will be weather sealed - $3500 instead of $2500

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Dumont
Dumont Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

Nice to hear yet another A-mount user, not in a fanboy sense at all, but so that Sony does indeed keep producing A-mount cameras and lenses...

Question, I note you said the shots were rough edits but there is a lot of PF/CA in that first pic. Sincerely I don't recall that much from even the purple monster that is the beercan... also I believe that is a heavy crop from one of the corners maybe?
I don't think we should judge by pixel peeping anyone's shots after all most are meant to be seen on computer screens and not large prints (and a lot of my shots end up heavily cropped so I don't mean to call you out on the IQ) but for ISO400 it is very grainy...

Darren

-- hide signature --

Dumont - www.pbase.com/dumont
and https://www.flickr.com/photos/148586121@N05/
For equipment see profile.

Dumont's gear list:Dumont's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a99 II +2 more
Trevor_S
Trevor_S Regular Member • Posts: 390

paulnelson88 wrote:

After 5 years and over 3-4 million photos taken with Nikon cameras I am officially switching to Sony! I did a photoshoot with a Nike Ultra Runner this last weekend and had the hardest time going back to the optical viewfinder

This, the odd time I use a friends Nikon or Canon, I just say, are you sh*ttin' me, are you stuck in the '60's ? Having come from a Nikon years ago to a just released A99, it was quite the revelation...

That is NOT to say a Nikon can't take a good photo, far from it but a typewriter can put out a good book, I'd rather use a word processor.   It's just a much better tool.

Trevor_S's gear list:Trevor_S's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +6 more
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,427

Congratulations Paul. You have excellent photos.... Though I am still waiting for A99II, I tend to keep all my Nikon gears

-
Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +72 more
paulnelson88

Mark K wrote:

Congratulations Paul. You have excellent photos.... Though I am still waiting for A99II, I tend to keep all my Nikon gears

-
Mark K

All my Nikon gear is sold! Here we go!

-- hide signature --
StevoPhilo Regular Member • Posts: 240
 With the LA3 firmware update Sony is promising to the adapter and the crazy AF and buffer of the A9 I feel like I will be able to do my job better out in the field.

Now you have me curious what update was it that they were promising? Is there a video or something where they explain it?

StevoPhilo's gear list:StevoPhilo's gear list
Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

Using the A9's full frame rate or electronic shutter you will be shooting in only 12 bit, factor that in!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
crosstype Regular Member • Posts: 227

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Using the A9's full frame rate or electronic shutter you will be shooting in only 12 bit, factor that in!

It doesn't matter which shutter you use. It seems that 12-bit is enforced whenever you shoot continuous, bulb, LENR, bracketing, regardlesa of electronic shutter or mechanical shutter, lossy compressed or uncompressed. The slowest shutter speed is also limited to 1/8 in continuous mode with electronic shutter.

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +2 more
markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,350

DAVID MANZE wrote:

factor in something that probably can't be distinguished?

https://photographylife.com/14-bit-vs-12-bit-raw/

DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

crosstype wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

It doesn't matter which shutter you use. It seems that 12-bit is enforced whenever you shoot continuous, bulb, LENR, bracketing, regardlesa of electronic shutter or mechanical shutter, lossy compressed or uncompressed. The slowest shutter speed is also limited to 1/8 in continuous mode with electronic shutter.

14 bit RAW uncompressed is available with the mechanical shutter, check it out!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
crosstype Regular Member • Posts: 227

DAVID MANZE wrote:

crosstype wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

14 bit RAW uncompressed is available with the mechanical shutter, check it out!

14-bit RAW is unavailable in the modes I listed above, regardless of mechanical shutter or not.

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads