XZ-2 For Street Photography

Started Apr 20, 2017 | Discussions
hgercek Regular Member • Posts: 127
XZ-2 For Street Photography

Hi all, I am considering getting a used XZ-2 to use mainly as a street camera. I wonder if I can zone focus properly with this camera. When in MF, do I have a distance scale that marks the distance in meters? And if yes let's say I set the distance to 2 meters, when I turn the camera off and on will it keep my distance setting?

Also can I use the Auto iso in all of the PASM modes and set a max iso? Thanks in advance.

splendors Regular Member • Posts: 292
Re: XZ-2 For Street Photography

hgercek wrote:

Hi all, I am considering getting a used XZ-2 to use mainly as a street camera. I wonder if I can zone focus properly with this camera. When in MF, do I have a distance scale that marks the distance in meters? And if yes let's say I set the distance to 2 meters, when I turn the camera off and on will it keep my distance setting?

Also can I use the Auto iso in all of the PASM modes and set a max iso? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

#01, Manual-Focus keeping even if XZ-2 power off..

Yes, it's available. And, XZ-2 can easily switch AF and MF by way of Control-Lever in default. Once in MF mode adjustable of XZ-2, Manual-Focus can be adjustable by way of Control-Ring.

#02, setting of max ISO limited with AUTO option for P/A/S/M of XZ-2 ..

No, there is no such this setting to get XZ-2 with max ISO to be limited while in AUTO option.

====================================

For more detail, kindly please refer to the FAQ of the official XZ-2 site as the below link :

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1627

Cheers.

splendors's gear list:splendors's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
OP hgercek Regular Member • Posts: 127

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

wam7
wam7 Regular Member • Posts: 419

XZ-2 is a great choice for street photography. I love the glass on that camera with it's bright lens and Olympus colours that seem to be amongst the best.

wam7's gear list:wam7's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VA Sony a7R II Sony FE 20mm F1.8G
paul613
paul613 Senior Member • Posts: 1,893
Re: XZ-2 For Street Photography (power-off?)

"#01, Manual-Focus keeping even if XZ-2 power off."

What, exactly is kept?
1. Manual-focus mode?

2. The manual-focus distance?

3. Or both?

My understanding is that when you power off the XZ-2, the lens retracts, just as it did on the XZ-1. Is this true?  If so, when you restart it--still in manual focus mode--will it remember you last distance setting?

-- hide signature --

Paul S. in Maryland

paul613's gear list:paul613's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye (HD) +10 more
OP hgercek Regular Member • Posts: 127

paul613 wrote:

What, exactly is kept?
1. Manual-focus mode?

3. Or both?

My understanding is that when you power off the XZ-2, the lens retracts, just as it did on the XZ-1. Is this true? If so, when you restart it--still in manual focus mode--will it remember you last distance setting?

I just got the camera. When turned off and on, the camera keeps the manual focus setting but the focus distance resets to infinity.

paul613 wrote:

What, exactly is kept?
1. Manual-focus mode?

3. Or both?

My understanding is that when you power off the XZ-2, the lens retracts, just as it did on the XZ-1. Is this true? If so, when you restart it--still in manual focus mode--will it remember you last distance setting?

Hi paul,

I'm sorry for your confused with my XZ-2 experience. In fact, the manual-focus distance would be INFINITE (by default) once power OFF to power ON.

If power ON keeping, the XZ-2 would always keep the manual-focus distance.

Cheers.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
paul613

Thank you, @splendors and @hgercek .

-- hide signature --

Paul S. in Maryland

Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye (HD) +10 more
paul613
I just chose an XZ-2 over Fujifilm and Nikon

This morning, I ordered an XZ-2 and a VF-4 viewfinder. I had been researching serious compacts to select one to wear everywhere in a belt pouch. My camera would need to

1. be no thicker than 2 inches--about 51mm.
  2. cost no more than $400.
  3. let me use an electronic viewfinder (EVF).
  4. have a sharp lens. (A fast f/stop was secondary.)
  5. be easy to focus manually.
  6. have plenty of external (non-menu) controls, laid out in a way that's not too cramped.

The XZ-2 ticks all the boxes. It also gives me several bonus features:

1. superb JPEG output, with great tonality and natural skintones.
  2. a tilting EVF for shooting more discreetly.
  3. a tilting LCD for shooting more discreetly and flexibly.
  4. an optional brilliant, always-on lens cap: http://a.co/1fc512U

I would have bought a Fujifilm X30 if it were thinner; it's 2.36 inches thick and would make me look as though I'm wearing a miniature brick on my belt.

I would have bought a Fujifilm X100T if it cost hundreds of dollars less.

I would have bought a Nikon Coolpix P7800 if its EVF were of higher quality and resolution.

But they're not, so the Olympus won. And I'm sort of relieved. For a year or so, I used my brother's C7000 and was astonished by its beautiful, sharp JPEGs.

In the film days, I seldom went anywhere without a Minox 35 film camera in my shirtpocket. In 2006, I entered the digital age with a Fujifilm F10 on my belt. But by 2009, I had moved on to larger digicams: first to Fujifilm bridge cameras, then to an Panasonic M43 system camera.

With the Olympus XZ-2, I'm looking forward to once again being ready to capture the decisive moment.

-- hide signature --

Paul S. in Maryland

paul613
In manual focus, XZ-2 will remember your distance after power/off

Hmmm. According to forum member @elliottnewcomb , in manual focus the XZ-2 will remember your distance setting, after all. From https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3960956 :

"engage MF, set a distance, turn camera off. Back on, lens remains where you had it, so if it was focused on the barrel, after shut down, back on, it is still focused on the barrel."

-- hide signature --

Paul S. in Maryland

Re: In manual focus, XZ-2 will remember your distance after power/off

paul613 wrote:

Hmmm. According to forum member @elliottnewcomb , in manual focus the XZ-2 will remember your distance setting, after all. From https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3960956 :

"engage MF, set a distance, turn camera off. Back on, lens remains where you had it, so if it was focused on the barrel, after shut down, back on, it is still focused on the barrel."

Great. And welcome you to join the XZ-2 group for shot.

Maybe I have that one of Elliott articles slipped with XZ-2 experience discussion. I'd keep that article for note of XZ-2.

By now, my XZ-2 still hold the street-shot well (what I like).

Cheers.

paul613
Re: I just chose an XZ-2 over Fujifilm and Nikon

Everything has now been ordered. The camera and viewfinder have arrived. My total cost will add up to $427 shipped (U.S.):

$220 Olympus XZ-2, factory-reconditioned
$100 Olympus VF-4 viewfinder
$020 Olympus barndoor-type lens cap
$010 screen protector, glass
$010 16GB Lexar UHC-1 SDXC memory card
$028 Olympus XCG-2 purple (burgundy) grip
$020 Olympus Li-92b battery and charger, used
$019 Manfrotto Nano III belt pouch

Damn, the XC-2 is one gorgeous camera.

-- hide signature --

Paul S. in Maryland

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads