A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Started Apr 19, 2017 | Discussions
Jeff11 Junior Member • Posts: 34
A6500 screen brightness in video mode
1

There is probably a simple answer to this... but I have been through all the menus and can't figure it out.

I used the A6000 for a year and never had this issue... just started with the A6500 a couple months ago and can't figure out how to fix this...

When shooting video, the lcd screen goes so dark that i can barely see it in outdoor light.  When taking regular pictures it is fine.  I have tried AUTO brighness mode... I have tried manual mode at full brightness... but nothing changes it.  The image if perfect when idle... but as soon as I press the video button and it starts recording, the image goes much darker.  I am in auto mode, so exposure is being done automatically and is perfect.  The images look perfect when I play them back on PC... ther eis NO exposure issue at all... just the fact that I can't see the image on the screen when shooting video outdoors.  The A6000 never had this problem.

I am hoping someone can tell me what is going on here...

Sony a6000 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
missingendpoint Contributing Member • Posts: 721
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

it's a feature -- presumably to ward off over-heating.

OP Jeff11 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode
1

Are you serious or just kidding?

It makes video UNUSABLE in sunlight...

dbronson
dbronson Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode
2

Jeff11 wrote:

Are you serious or just kidding?

It makes video UNUSABLE in sunlight...

Yes...he is serious.  LCD dims whilst recording 4K.  No way around it.  Use the EVF...no choice...no kidding.

 dbronson's gear list:dbronson's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 600D +17 more
OP Jeff11 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Thanks... I now see reference to this in other posts... wow.  not sure how I missed them before I bought this.  That would have been a deal breaker.  I video outdoor games with my kids all the time and watching through the viewfinder is ridiculous...  I hope Sony provides an option for people in a future firmware update... Unless the camera just can't supply enough power for 4K and bright screen at the same time... the more I use this, the more it seems like a half-assed 4K implementation.  Can't even do non-cropped sensor 4K at 30p.

dbronson
dbronson Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode
1

Jeff11 wrote:

Thanks... I now see reference to this in other posts... wow. not sure how I missed them before I bought this. That would have been a deal breaker. I video outdoor games with my kids all the time and watching through the viewfinder is ridiculous... I hope Sony provides an option for people in a future firmware update... Unless the camera just can't supply enough power for 4K and bright screen at the same time... the more I use this, the more it seems like a half-assed 4K implementation. Can't even do non-cropped sensor 4K at 30p.

this "feature" lol is actually also present on some A7 cameras as well...i doubt it will ever be remedied with a firmware change, i'm just speculating of course, but just saying i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fix, meaning if its deal breaker, send it back if you can, ....i have resorted to using the EVF.

 dbronson's gear list:dbronson's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 600D +17 more
jayvee7 Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode
1

Used it at the beach this weekend and it was useless. No amount of angling it with the flip out screen helped. I was on a gimbal so really couldn't use the EVF either so I was shooting blind. Even on a overcast day I still struggled to see. Sony should really give the user the option of not dimming and reduce recording time or let it dim for longer times.

Right now we have 3 options:

1) Return it if you can

2) Use a HDMI field monitor

3) Hope Sony gives the option in firmware

Jeevis New Member • Posts: 1
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

there is a work around that I've tested to work on my A6500, saw it on a Sony forum thread just before:

There is monitor brightness limitation when shooting in XAVCS 4K. If you change “Monitor Brightness” to 0 before shooting in 4k, then the brightness of the LCD monitor will be consistent. In bright shooting environment we suggest you use the viewfinder or an external monitor.

Please try recording a video indoors and outdoors with the Monitor brightness set to 0 before setting the movie format to XAVCS 4k. I tested it here inside the office and the lcd screen did not dim when I shot the 4k video.

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,111
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode
1

Jeevis wrote:

there is a work around that I've tested to work on my A6500, saw it on a Sony forum thread just before:

There is monitor brightness limitation when shooting in XAVCS 4K. If you change “Monitor Brightness” to 0 before shooting in 4k, then the brightness of the LCD monitor will be consistent. In bright shooting environment we suggest you use the viewfinder or an external monitor.

Please try recording a video indoors and outdoors with the Monitor brightness set to 0 before setting the movie format to XAVCS 4k. I tested it here inside the office and the lcd screen did not dim when I shot the 4k video.

Well... I don't know if that is so much of a "solution" as it is just a fact of life...

Yes, if you set the Monitor Brightness of the a6500 (and I assume the a6300) to 0 then it won't dim when you switch to 4K.

However, that 0 monitor brightness is ALREADY dim. Meaning if you were to set the monitor to Sunny Weather or to +2 and then switch the recording format to 4K, the monitor would automatically dim to that 0 level.

So it is 6 of one, half a dozen of another. Same difference. Same-Same. Same thing.  In one case, the monitor automatically dims to the 0 level, in the other case, you are dimming it manually.

-- hide signature --

Stay Broke... Shoot Sony!

 Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
HappyBlack
HappyBlack Regular Member • Posts: 363
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode
1

There is a workaround and I use it on a daily basis:

My 4K video recording profile is saved in a Memory bank as #1.

When I turn my dial to #1, I'm greeted by ready-to-record settings (such as manual WB, S-Log 2, 1/50 shutter speed, 800 ISO, etc.) with the screen brightness set to any brightness level I want, even Sunny Weather.

The only drawback is : when you hit record buttton, it takes about 2 seconds to start recording and then the screen dims.

When recording stops, the screen brightens up, too.

However, this little hack allows me to properly compose the image and set the focus without any struggle, since it also gives me more detailed Focus Magnifier.

How to do this?

Turn your dial to M (manual mode), set everything as needed (shutter speed, picture profile, white balance, audio level, etc.), change the Image Format to 16:9 (don't forget about this!) in Menu and then save all these settings using Memory Recall.

You also have to check, if your Record button works in Manual mode, since it's possible to disable it in non-video modes.

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,111
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

HappyBlack wrote:

There is a workaround and I use it on a daily basis:

My 4K video recording profile is saved in a Memory bank as #1.

When I turn my dial to #1, I'm greeted by ready-to-record settings (such as manual WB, S-Log 2, 1/50 shutter speed, 800 ISO, etc.) with the screen brightness set to any brightness level I want, even Sunny Weather.

The only drawback is : when you hit record buttton, it takes about 2 seconds to start recording and then the screen dims.

When recording stops, the screen brightens up, too.

However, this little hack allows me to properly compose the image and set the focus without any struggle, since it also gives me more detailed Focus Magnifier.

How to do this?

Turn your dial to M (manual mode), set everything as needed (shutter speed, picture profile, white balance, audio level, etc.), change the Image Format to 16:9 (don't forget about this!) in Menu and then save all these settings using Memory Recall.

You also have to check, if your Record button works in Manual mode, since it's possible to disable it in non-video modes.

Thanks for the tip. Are there any drawbacks to shooting movies in M mode instead of having the dial set to Movie mode?

-- hide signature --

Stay Broke... Shoot Sony!

 Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
HappyBlack
HappyBlack Regular Member • Posts: 363
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Are there any drawbacks to shooting movies in M mode instead of having the dial set to Movie mode?

Like I said, there is some delay - it takes about 2 seconds to actually start recording when you press Record button (vs almost immediate start in Movie mode).

That's the biggest con for me.

Also, you do not see any audio input levels in M mode - they appear after you hit Record button and start shooting video (vs visible all the time in Movie mode).

But I record my audio separately, so it isn't an issue for me.

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,111
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

HappyBlack wrote:

Are there any drawbacks to shooting movies in M mode instead of having the dial set to Movie mode?

Like I said, there is some delay - it takes about 2 seconds to actually start recording when you press Record button (vs almost immediate start in Movie mode).

That's the biggest con for me.

Also, you do not see any audio input levels in M mode - they appear after you hit Record button and start shooting video (vs visible all the time in Movie mode).

But I record my audio separately, so it isn't an issue for me.

Thanks for the elaboration.

-- hide signature --

Stay Broke... Shoot Sony!

 Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Epoca Libera
Epoca Libera Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

HappyBlack wrote:

There is a workaround and I use it on a daily basis:

My 4K video recording profile is saved in a Memory bank as #1.

When I turn my dial to #1, I'm greeted by ready-to-record settings (such as manual WB, S-Log 2, 1/50 shutter speed, 800 ISO, etc.) with the screen brightness set to any brightness level I want, even Sunny Weather.

The only drawback is : when you hit record buttton, it takes about 2 seconds to start recording and then the screen dims.

When recording stops, the screen brightens up, too.

However, this little hack allows me to properly compose the image and set the focus without any struggle, since it also gives me more detailed Focus Magnifier.

How to do this?

Turn your dial to M (manual mode), set everything as needed (shutter speed, picture profile, white balance, audio level, etc.), change the Image Format to 16:9 (don't forget about this!) in Menu and then save all these settings using Memory Recall.

You also have to check, if your Record button works in Manual mode, since it's possible to disable it in non-video modes.

That is the best tip for dealing with the dimming issue, that I have read until now.

A matte screen protector will also help, as it will remove the glossiness.

HappyBlack
HappyBlack Regular Member • Posts: 363
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode
1

Epoca Libera wrote:

That is the best tip for dealing with the dimming issue, that I have read until now.

A matte screen protector will also help, as it will remove the glossiness.

I'm glad you found it useful.

( :

Alex Ezorsky New Member • Posts: 1
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Does this mean during your shoot you are actually in photo mode?

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,111
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Alex Ezorsky wrote:

Does this mean during your shoot you are actually in photo mode?

I believe that they are in M mode (on the Mode dial).

-- hide signature --

Crashing sucks!!!

 Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
JulyDerek Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Jeff11 wrote:

Thanks... I now see reference to this in other posts... wow. not sure how I missed them before I bought this. That would have been a deal breaker. I video outdoor games with my kids all the time and watching through the viewfinder is ridiculous... I hope Sony provides an option for people in a future firmware update... Unless the camera just can't supply enough power for 4K and bright screen at the same time... the more I use this, the more it seems like a half-assed 4K implementation. Can't even do non-cropped sensor 4K at 30p.

Get the latest A6400. There is no screen dimming in 4K.  Thats your only remedy right now.

brownie112 Contributing Member • Posts: 502
You didn't do even do a basic pros/cons research before buying an expensive camera

Jeff11 wrote:

Thanks... I now see reference to this in other posts... wow.

Of course there are hundreds of references to the LCD dimming, on dpr, Google, YouTube, you name it.

not sure how I missed them before I bought this.

Because you didn't do a basic search "pros/cons of a6500"  before buying. Especially in 2019 there are other options out there that are as good or better.

That would have been a deal breaker. I video outdoor games with my kids all the time and watching through the viewfinder is ridiculous... I hope Sony provides an option for people in a future firmware update... Unless the camera just can't supply enough power for 4K and bright screen at the same time...

A6300 had overheating issues if you use it continuously for half hour. A6500 doesnt unless you push it big time, like continuous 4k recording of weddings at 200deg celcius temperature.

the more I use this, the more it seems like a half-assed 4K implementation.

Nope, half assed is your attempt to research about your camera you bought.

Can't even do non-cropped sensor 4K at 30p.

Mate, a6500 came out years ago and lots of pros and amateurs alike have created some amazing content with this camera. Just do a basic YouTube search for "a6500 4k" or "a6500 cinematic" etc.

Maybe you are blaming the tool because you are lacking skill(maybe editing?)  and do not want to put in the time to learn how the tool works.

 brownie112's gear list:brownie112's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
JulyDerek Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Jeff11 wrote:

Thanks... I now see reference to this in other posts... wow. not sure how I missed them before I bought this. That would have been a deal breaker. I video outdoor games with my kids all the time and watching through the viewfinder is ridiculous... I hope Sony provides an option for people in a future firmware update... Unless the camera just can't supply enough power for 4K and bright screen at the same time... the more I use this, the more it seems like a half-assed 4K implementation. Can't even do non-cropped sensor 4K at 30p.

Sell the A6500 and get the A6400 instead. There is no screen dimming on the A6400 in 4K mode + you get better object tracking for sports.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads