D500 won't turn off but still works as normal

Started Apr 18, 2017 | Discussions
Sjmmarsh
Sjmmarsh Junior Member • Posts: 32
D500 won't turn off but still works as normal

i started a new thread as though there are some reports of the D500 becoming unresponsive (the solution seems be to remove the battery), my problem is different. Basically the only thing wrong is that I can't turn it off! Everything else works as normal, but I can't store it in my bag as the buttons are all still live, including the shutter release. It worked OK on the first day but then wouldn't turn off.

I tried removing the battery, lens, Memory cards, leaving the battery out over night and doing a factory reset. All to no avail.

Nikon responded telling me to take it back to my dealer. They don't have any more D500s, so will call me when they have one as I don't want to send a 4 day old camera back for repair!

The funny thing is that, having arranged for a replacement, the camera turned off....

i am now doing some testing to see if I can work out what is going wrong. I suspect it is the Bluetooth module as this remains active when you turn the camera off and the top LCD stays active until the message warning you that it will keep sending data unless you turn it off disappears from the screen.

I'll update my findings on here.

Steve

Sjmmarsh's gear list:Sjmmarsh's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +3 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,618
Re: D500 won't turn off but still works as normal

Sjmmarsh wrote:

i started a new thread as though there are some reports of the D500 becoming unresponsive (the solution seems be to remove the battery), my problem is different. Basically the only thing wrong is that I can't turn it off! Everything else works as normal, but I can't store it in my bag as the buttons are all still live, including the shutter release. It worked OK on the first day but then wouldn't turn off.

I tried removing the battery, lens, Memory cards, leaving the battery out over night and doing a factory reset. All to no avail.

Nikon responded telling me to take it back to my dealer. They don't have any more D500s, so will call me when they have one as I don't want to send a 4 day old camera back for repair!

The funny thing is that, having arranged for a replacement, the camera turned off....

i am now doing some testing to see if I can work out what is going wrong. I suspect it is the Bluetooth module as this remains active when you turn the camera off and the top LCD stays active until the message warning you that it will keep sending data unless you turn it off disappears from the screen.

I'll update my findings on here.

Steve

Have you touched "Airplane Mode" by any chance? When "ON", that disables all types of communications, including Bluetooth.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
tdwesbo
tdwesbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,926

Lens on? Lens off?

tdwesbo's gear list:tdwesbo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
Sjmmarsh
OP Sjmmarsh Junior Member • Posts: 32

I have tried with airplane mode on and off. It is normally set to off (i.e. BT and WiFi allowed).

I have tried with the lens on and off as well as three different lenses attached.

Steve

Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +3 more
Thinkpad man New Member • Posts: 21

Check if it stays on for 60 minutes and then goes off. Mine did this and was caused by a faulty bluetooth module.

Sjmmarsh
OP Sjmmarsh Junior Member • Posts: 32

It stays on permanently. The AF switches off as normal, but the top LCD stays on and buttons remain active even if you leave it overnight.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads