11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

Started Apr 18, 2017 | Discussions
bwilloughby Forum Member • Posts: 68
11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

I kind of forgot about this lens when i was shooting solely 4/3... it was always a lens i wanted. it seems the prices have come down enough to make a viable purchase for a once/still great lens. Anyone use it on the em1?

thanks - brad

-- hide signature --

-Brad from Kansas City

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sirharold
sirharold Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

Brad it's my go to lens for landscape, cityscape or real state photography. Let's not forget it's weather proof. It's compact size packs a punch and takes little room in your gear bag.

Hope this helps.

Chris@cmbfoto

 sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +27 more
OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,068
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?
2

I owned one, sold it and later came to regret the sale. It was always an outstanding and versatile lens. I sold it because I bought the 7-14mm f4 lens, but I think it gets used far less than the 11-22mm ever did.

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
https://australianimage.com.au

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,507
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

An interesting lens, one of my first buys after getting into the E-system. Distortion correction is impeccable, contrast and saturation are good as is flare resistance. It's less sharp than the 12-60 that followed and I used it a lot less after getting that. Still, for a landscape, cityscape and wide-normal zoom, it's fun and has no equivalent in its range. Better lens than the 9-18 by a good margin.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,068
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

Interesting that you say it was less sharp than your 12-60mm, a 2x zoom vs a 5x zoom. I wonder if that was due to sample variation?

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
https://australianimage.com.au

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,507
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?
1

I don't think so, although I was puzzled at the time. The 12-60 is screamin' sharp and 11-22 tests I compared it against back in the day bore it out. Perhaps a product of the rapid advancement of design, exotic materials and coatings of the time, as they're separated by a few years.

As an aside, the jump to SWD focus is another separator. The good news: same filter size! 

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,068
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

Perhaps that's a path that Olympus seems to have taken in their later years and especially with m4/3 lenses; they have started to make lenses super sharp, perhaps at the expense of other qualities.

I was recently reading an article about this and how super sharp lenses aren't necessarily the best lenses, depending on your photography. That's why I really like my SHG 4/3 lenses, they may not be as sharp as the latest m4/3 Pro lenses, but they exhibit qualities that I really like and don't see in results from the Pro lenses.

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
https://australianimage.com.au

StanTsui Senior Member • Posts: 1,261
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

I am still on E3, I had it for a short period of time to pair with 14-54 but after having 12-60 and 9-18 it is too much of overlap for it to make sense.  Go by memory the IQ is between 14-54 and 12-60, so very good.  They're dirt cheap now, get one if you find a good one.  Oh it is bigger and heavier than 14-54.

Now a day when I travel I bring 9-18, 12-60 and 35 1.4

 StanTsui's gear list:StanTsui's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +2 more
rodriguezPhoto
rodriguezPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

StanTsui wrote:

I am still on E3, I had it for a short period of time to pair with 14-54 but after having 12-60 and 9-18 it is too much of overlap for it to make sense. Go by memory the IQ is between 14-54 and 12-60, so very good. They're dirt cheap now, get one if you find a good one. Oh it is bigger and heavier than 14-54.

Now a day when I travel I bring 9-18, 12-60 and 35 1.4

35 1.4? Is that the Rokinon or did you mean the Sigma 30 1.4? Or something adapted?

-- hide signature --

~~~ Kim

 rodriguezPhoto's gear list:rodriguezPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 +41 more
Henry Stamm Senior Member • Posts: 2,848
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

An absolutely great lens.  But I sold it because I don't really shoot wide.  I bought a 9-18mm as a cheap substitute for when I want to go wider that my 12-60.  If it's cheap enuf for you and you enjoy wide angle photography, it's a keeper.  My 14-35mm is my all purpose lens now, and I'd say about 95% of the time, I never want to be wider than 14mm.  Most of my photography falls between 20mm and 100mm, with a whole lot more taken in the 100mm-200mm range than I ever took in the 11-20mm range.

 Henry Stamm's gear list:Henry Stamm's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +3 more
RobPNth Regular Member • Posts: 454
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

I still use mine when I want a wide landscape lens or for doing architecture. It has a bit more coma than the 12-60, so I prefer the 12-60 for starry night shots.

-- hide signature --
Cychen Regular Member • Posts: 173
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

One of my favs though not as versatile as the 14-54mm or the 12-60mm.

But the distortion correction is very good and for reasons unknown, it seems to have a CPL built in. Blue skies taken with this lens are really vivid!

 Cychen's gear list:Cychen's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 7,483
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

This lens never held any interest for me, having the 9-18mm and the 12-60mm. The 12-60mm in particular renders the 11-22mm zoom completely redundant for me.

I'd be pleased to be proven wrong though if it has some special quality.

Peter

 Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +13 more
StanTsui Senior Member • Posts: 1,261
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

rodriguezPhoto wrote:

StanTsui wrote:

I am still on E3, I had it for a short period of time to pair with 14-54 but after having 12-60 and 9-18 it is too much of overlap for it to make sense. Go by memory the IQ is between 14-54 and 12-60, so very good. They're dirt cheap now, get one if you find a good one. Oh it is bigger and heavier than 14-54.

Now a day when I travel I bring 9-18, 12-60 and 35 1.4

35 1.4? Is that the Rokinon or did you mean the Sigma 30 1.4? Or something adapted?

Oh, Sigma 30mm f1.4. I won't leave home without it. No one ever talk about it but if anyone still rocking old 4/3 like me it is a must have.

@ 1.4 it is a little soft but 1.6 and up it is respectable, IQ on par or slightly better then ED @ 1.6/1.8.

Focus VERY GOOD in lowlight with E3, and it keep me under ISO 800(mostly 400) in all situation.  I once got keeper northern light photos with no tripod using it.

 StanTsui's gear list:StanTsui's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +2 more
rodriguezPhoto
rodriguezPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

StanTsui wrote:

rodriguezPhoto wrote:

StanTsui wrote:

I am still on E3, I had it for a short period of time to pair with 14-54 but after having 12-60 and 9-18 it is too much of overlap for it to make sense. Go by memory the IQ is between 14-54 and 12-60, so very good. They're dirt cheap now, get one if you find a good one. Oh it is bigger and heavier than 14-54.

Now a day when I travel I bring 9-18, 12-60 and 35 1.4

35 1.4? Is that the Rokinon or did you mean the Sigma 30 1.4? Or something adapted?

Oh, Sigma 30mm f1.4. I won't leave home without it. No one ever talk about it but if anyone still rocking old 4/3 like me it is a must have.

@ 1.4 it is a little soft but 1.6 and up it is respectable, IQ on par or slightly better then ED @ 1.6/1.8.

Focus VERY GOOD in lowlight with E3, and it keep me under ISO 800(mostly 400) in all situation. I once got keeper northern light photos with no tripod using it.

I went with the 50. I usually shoot around f2 where it is very good. On the E-3 however (and my E-410 before it) I find it slow to focus. The images however are beautiful without being clinical in appearance (i.e. too sharp.)

-- hide signature --

~~~ Kim

 rodriguezPhoto's gear list:rodriguezPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 +41 more
StanTsui Senior Member • Posts: 1,261
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

rodriguezPhoto wrote:

StanTsui wrote:

rodriguezPhoto wrote:

StanTsui wrote:

I am still on E3, I had it for a short period of time to pair with 14-54 but after having 12-60 and 9-18 it is too much of overlap for it to make sense. Go by memory the IQ is between 14-54 and 12-60, so very good. They're dirt cheap now, get one if you find a good one. Oh it is bigger and heavier than 14-54.

Now a day when I travel I bring 9-18, 12-60 and 35 1.4

35 1.4? Is that the Rokinon or did you mean the Sigma 30 1.4? Or something adapted?

Oh, Sigma 30mm f1.4. I won't leave home without it. No one ever talk about it but if anyone still rocking old 4/3 like me it is a must have.

@ 1.4 it is a little soft but 1.6 and up it is respectable, IQ on par or slightly better then ED @ 1.6/1.8.

Focus VERY GOOD in lowlight with E3, and it keep me under ISO 800(mostly 400) in all situation. I once got keeper northern light photos with no tripod using it.

I went with the 50. I usually shoot around f2 where it is very good. On the E-3 however (and my E-410 before it) I find it slow to focus. The images however are beautiful without being clinical in appearance (i.e. too sharp.)

Also have 50, of course the 30 is not where near as magical as the 50 but it focus ALOT faster and the focal length is a lot more flexible.  If you're still shoot E3 highly recommend as a night out lens.  I will find you a simple tonight.

 StanTsui's gear list:StanTsui's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +2 more
StanTsui Senior Member • Posts: 1,261
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

A couple examples

F2, 1/60s, iso500

f1.6, 1/25s, iso 640

 StanTsui's gear list:StanTsui's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +2 more
rodriguezPhoto
rodriguezPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

You're right, it's very good.  You can really see it in the first one.

The 50 is no slouch either, but from the reviews I've looked at, it's not as good.

-- hide signature --

~~~ Kim

 rodriguezPhoto's gear list:rodriguezPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 +41 more
sirharold
sirharold Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

Stan I'm in NYC right now and as you know the buildings are so close to each other. I had to pull the old 8mm fisheye out. Nice crisp pics if you like the fisheye look. After pulling out of the city the 12-60 was back on the boat trip. The 50-200 was also used. My m43 glass 75mm & 45mm stayed in the bag.

 sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +27 more
archrich Senior Member • Posts: 1,349
Re: 11-22mm.... anyone still using or newly using?

I have a very good copy of this lens and I use it on my E-1. I really like this combination and get sharp images with great colors. The size of the lens is  fairly compact and it compliments the excellent ergonomics of the E-1. This lens worked well on my E-3 & -5 when I had them

I don't shoot micro 4/3's so I can't comment how it works with them

Archie

 archrich's gear list:archrich's gear list
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-1 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads