D800/D800E "Camera Shake"

Started Apr 16, 2017 | Discussions
nseidl Regular Member • Posts: 142
D800/D800E "Camera Shake"

Hi,

I understand there is no inherent problem in the D800/D800E series with regards to the "camera shake" issue, and that it's entirely photographer dependent: the "camera shake" is a result of the extremely high resolution.

Is this relatively serious, where even making a moderate effort to steady the camera won't negate the "camera shake"?

If, for example, I stop walking down the street, bring the camera up to my eye, breath in once or twice, and then make the click (1/250 or faster, say), would this be an issue?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
peep my instagram
my flickr

nseidl's gear list:nseidl's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA
nikonjohn
nikonjohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,437
Re: D800/D800E "Camera Shake"

nseidl wrote:

Hi,

I understand there is no inherent problem in the D800/D800E series with regards to the "camera shake" issue, and that it's entirely photographer dependent: the "camera shake" is a result of the extremely high resolution.

Is this relatively serious, where even making a moderate effort to steady the camera won't negate the "camera shake"?

If, for example, I stop walking down the street, bring the camera up to my eye, breath in once or twice, and then make the click (1/250 or faster, say), would this be an issue?

Thanks

nseidl - I don't think that camera shake is a big issue as long as you are using appropriate technique and the camera settings are appropriate for the light and lens you are using. I don't have the steadiest hands and I've gotten plenty of sharp shots with my D800. Same with my D810. I don't think that you have to go 1/250 or faster. I think the speed you use depends more on the lighting conditions and the reach of the lens you are using.

In one of the pictures I reviewed before I responded to your post, I was shooting 1/100, ISO 200, f18 with a 17-35 2.8 lens. When I blew the image up in Photoshop, there was plenty of detail and I didn't see any evidence of camera shake. With that in mind, I think that you would be fine with a D800/D800E. One thing to keep in mind with the D800/800E is that you do get a noticeable mirror slap with your shots but I never found that to be a problem with my D800 in conjunction with the sharpness of the pictures I was getting.

Other users may have a different opinion but I hope that my input is helpful.

romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 3,684

Only if you pixel peep, ie look at the photo at 100%. That's nothing really to do with the D800 its what happens with all cameras. If you need to pixel peep use a tripod and the correct speed for the subject matter.

yes the D800 will make any poor technique worse but it's nothing to worry about if you know what you are doing.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +12 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,243

f/18?  You probably wouldn't see any shake due to diffraction hiding it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +28 more
mostlylost Contributing Member • Posts: 589

Poor technique will likely be magnified with higher resolution. However, If she gets in a hurry or excited my wife occasionally displays a habit of shooting with both elbows sticking straight out and gets away with it. If you are striving for good technique I suspect you'll be fine.

As I get older, my personal non VR hand held floor with a D800e seems to be a shutter speed of 1/ (focal length x 2), but many can do better.

nikonjohn
nikonjohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,437
glo Senior Member • Posts: 1,752

nikonjohn wrote:

nseidl wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

nseidl - I don't think that camera shake is a big issue as long as you are using appropriate technique and the camera settings are appropriate for the light and lens you are using. I don't have the steadiest hands and I've gotten plenty of sharp shots with my D800. Same with my D810. I don't think that you have to go 1/250 or faster. I think the speed you use depends more on the lighting conditions and the reach of the lens you are using.

In one of the pictures I reviewed before I responded to your post, I was shooting 1/100, ISO 200, f18 with a 17-35 2.8 lens. When I blew the image up in Photoshop, there was plenty of detail and I didn't see any evidence of camera shake. With that in mind, I think that you would be fine with a D800/D800E. One thing to keep in mind with the D800/800E is that you do get a noticeable mirror slap with your shots but I never found that to be a problem with my D800 in conjunction with the sharpness of the pictures I was getting.

Other users may have a different opinion but I hope that my input is helpful.

I find that nikonjohn's reply is spot on. The higher the sensor resolution, the more detail will be visible at 100% view including camera motion blur and lens defect. I remember when the D3X was released, (24 mpx was the highest at the time) photogs were noticing the same effects when compared to 12 mpx sensors. As previously said for handholding, bump up the SS and/or ISO relative to the focal range and you'll have no worries.

glo

glo's gear list:glo's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon D3X Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 +27 more
Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 10,928

romfordbluenose wrote:

Only if you pixel peep, ie look at the photo at 100%. That's nothing really to do with the D800 its what happens with all cameras. If you need to pixel peep use a tripod and the correct speed for the subject matter.

yes the D800 will make any poor technique worse but it's nothing to worry about if you know what you are doing.

See, this is the kind of wording that confuses people. No, the D800 will not make any poor techniques worse, it will just show it more clearly.

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,446

I regularly shoot the D800 handheld without a problem, and that includes inspecting files at 100 percent enlargement. But of course, it depends on good technique and appropriate shutter speeds.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
over exposed seahorse Regular Member • Posts: 264

I tried both the D810 and D750 prior to buying either, and did find that the D810 did show slightly more blur from camera shake at 36mp rather than 24 MP of the D750. In the end, I went for the D750, because I shoot a lot of concerts and fashion shows, which don't always have the best lighting or allow the use of a flash, and shooting at longer focal lengths and less than 1/100 second, I could see a difference. It's only slight mind.

over exposed seahorse's gear list:over exposed seahorse's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads