Having trouble downloading videos, but not photos

Started Apr 13, 2017 | Discussions
Curious Regular Member • Posts: 164
Having trouble downloading videos, but not photos

I have a new LX10 and while I have not problems downloading my photos, I am unable to download my videos. I am using Windows 10 and right clicking to get the import feature when I click on the camera in PictBridge mode. I had set the camera to delete everything after downloading and while the pictures are gone, the videos remain. Further, the computer doesn't recognize the video that is clearly still on the card. When I remove the card from the camera and plug it directly to the computer, the video file are seen and I can download the photos to my computer.  In the same mode, I was able to download pictures and video from my old RX100.  Any ideas on what is wrong?

Panasonic LX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Castaway
Castaway Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
Re: Having trouble downloading videos, but not photos

Curious wrote:

I have a new LX10 and while I have not problems downloading my photos, I am unable to download my videos. I am using Windows 10 and right clicking to get the import feature when I click on the camera in PictBridge mode. I had set the camera to delete everything after downloading and while the pictures are gone, the videos remain. Further, the computer doesn't recognize the video that is clearly still on the card. When I remove the card from the camera and plug it directly to the computer, the video file are seen and I can download the photos to my computer. In the same mode, I was able to download pictures and video from my old RX100. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Having used digital cameras for many years I have never hooked up a camera to the computer so on that score I can't help you. It seems to me it is far easier to take the card out and use the card reader than messing about with more wires.

I have alway taken the card out and transferred everything to a new folder on the computer. I then copy that folder to two external hard drives. Once I am happy that I do not require images or videos from that card anymore, I format the card in camera. Doing that removes everything, but I do know that I have it all safely stored on the computer and the 2 backups.

I have never deleted images in camera.

-- hide signature --

Malcolm the Old Sea Dog
Galleries at http://www.pbase.com/oldseadog/galleries

Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

Yes, do get a card reader (if your computer doesn't have one built into it). Then you can see what's on the card rather than hoping some application finds the files. When I load my ZS100 card into my computer (a Mac, but that won't matter) here's what I see on the card with all directories fully expanded.

MP4 videos are in the same directory as are the JPG files while AVCHD videos are in the private folder, etc.

Any can be copied into your computer using Windows Explorer.

And for comparison here's the structure of my RX100 V card:

There  are some clear differences -- like where the MP4 file is stored.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
OP Curious Regular Member • Posts: 164

Yeah.  I decided that I can't use the PictBridge function and download via USB directly from the folder.  I pinned the folder in my quick view on the left so that I don't have to dig around for the folder.  Thanks.

OP Curious Regular Member • Posts: 164

Thanks.  I found a work around without taking the card out.  I just abandoned the PictBridge function and pinned the folder to my quick access menu.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads