D500 Shutter Life

Started Apr 12, 2017 | Discussions
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,562
Re: D500 Shutter Life

ata3001 wrote:

Why would you be always shooting at 10 fps? Is your style of shooting "spray & pray" for a good shot?

I always get a kick when someone looks down at someone with a comment "spray and play", so you can count me in that group. I shoot three bike-a-thons each year as end point photographer. Two of the three bike-a-thons have anywhere from 2000 to 3400 bicycle riders coming at me in a five to six hour period. It doesn't take much to fire off 10,000 to 15,000 shots in a shoot at 10 fps, which is about five shots per rider, something I don't consider excessive.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +23 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 11,213
Good for you ...

brianric wrote:

ata3001 wrote:

Why would you be always shooting at 10 fps? Is your style of shooting "spray & pray" for a good shot?

I always get a kick when someone looks down at someone with a comment "spray and play", so you can count me in that group. I shoot three bike-a-thons each year as end point photographer. Two of the three bike-a-thons have anywhere from 2000 to 3400 bicycle riders coming at me in a five to six hour period. It doesn't take much to fire off 10,000 to 15,000 shots in a shoot at 10 fps, which is about five shots per rider, something I don't consider excessive.

.. but not for me!

rsser
rsser Regular Member • Posts: 250
MTBF

According to Nikon for the D500 200K is the "estimated average number of shutter releases ... that can be expected before probable shutter failure".

And they warn that firmware updates can zero the count so EXIF records may be unreliable.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000003332&configured=1&lang=en_US&sfdcIFrameOrigin=null

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Ern

rsser's gear list:rsser's gear list
Nikon D500 Sony a9 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
ovn
ovn Forum Member • Posts: 68

My D2x got broken at 148,693 clicks last year around July 2017, Here was the image captured by a broken shutter unit at 148,693 clicks.

Thru help of DP members, I was able to fix it myself with a new shutter unit purchased via EBay for around 50 bucks.

I knew the D2x capabilities in certain light condition, so I still use it nowadays like this picture recently

Hope it would last for another 200,000 clicks.

Mike H Contributing Member • Posts: 946
using the 10fps

I am doing a lot more bracketing -1 n +1 to do what I called "hand held HDR" in case I want to run the the shots thru an HDR program. As you can imagine most of the plus or minus shots are soon deleted costing me only wear and tear on the shutter,

I just checked, the camera I got on its day of release now has 19540 actuation's on it

Which is a lot for me, but so far not quite 10% of its life.

So at 75 I think Ill just go on shooting the way I have been and enjoying the heck out of this great camera.

image number 19540

Mike H's gear list:Mike H's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,562
Re: using the 10fps

Mike H wrote:

I am doing a lot more bracketing -1 n +1 to do what I called "hand held HDR" in case I want to run the the shots thru an HDR program. As you can imagine most of the plus or minus shots are soon deleted costing me only wear and tear on the shutter,

I just checked, the camera I got on its day of release now has 19540 actuation's on it

Which is a lot for me, but so far not quite 10% of its life.

So at 75 I think Ill just go on shooting the way I have been and enjoying the heck out of this great camera.

My D500 is nine months old and I have over 35000 actuations, will finish the year with close to 40000. With Parkinson's robbing me slowly of my independence each day I'm just going to keep what I'm doing too.

image number 19540

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +23 more
Krish6102 Forum Member • Posts: 52

Eliot Kramer wrote:

Oh, totally forgot.

Don't listen to anyone telling you how to enjoy photography and how to shoot and "why you shooting at 10fps" nonsense.

You shoot how you want to get the maximum pleasure out of this hobby/occupation. Nobody knows how and what you shoot, how good or bad it is, etc etc. None of this matters.

If you are trying different things, soliciting feedback, trying various approaches, talking to experienced people that are mentoring you then it is different. But these totally random comments of people implying that "one doesn't need 10fps", "you shouldn't need to", "spray and pray" etc are so unsupportive and unhelpful in my opinion.

You go and shoot how you want and wear out that shutter at a million clicks and be happy.

On these forums half the responses take an implicit dig at the original poster and have thinly veiled criticism and hostility and don't address the actual question being asked. I've had my fair share of those and felt that it might be helpful for you in case you too felt a bit insulted by some of the responses to your original post. ( I know I would be as I read through and thought to myself, 'who are you telling me how to gun my camera and not liking my approach?) Hopefully nobody takes this personally.

As an aside, there are plenty of extremely high production value studios that take full videos of the "photoshoot" at 24 frames per second. Then they just take frame grabs that they like. No "photos" are actually taken. It is all video. Which in reality is nothing more than 24 photos per second. (Or whatever frame rate they have, I forgot what exact equipment they used). So if they do it this way and generate thousands upon thousands of images only to choose one or two key ones, who is to say you can't shoot all your sessions at 10fps and then get the images you like.

Why photography and snobbery go together is beyond me. But I met more snobs in photography than pretty much any other field.

Oh, and when you do wear out that shutter and upgrade I can guarantee you that the next camera you get will be so much better than the current one you are using and will shoot at a higher frame per second than your current one. So all the more reason to hit away at that shutter. You gonna have even more fun with the next one you get. Guaranteed.

Well said !!  These are kind words. You're a good man.

OP ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 817
Re: using the 10fps

Very sorry to hear about your Parkinson's - my father had it and I know and feel what you are going through to an extent.  Toss actuations aside...I myself stopped even caring: I use the camera the way I want to and don't think about preserving the life of the camera by limiting the amount of shots I take.

Enjoy!

brianric wrote:

My D500 is nine months old and I have over 35000 actuations, will finish the year with close to 40000. With Parkinson's robbing me slowly of my independence each day I'm just going to keep what I'm doing too.image number 19540

djrobic New Member • Posts: 3

I am debating if/when to proactively get the shutter mechanism replaced myself...

rz350 Regular Member • Posts: 194

I ran into a friend that owned 2 - D500. He had just purchased a 2nd one to back up the original. It had over 400,000 actuations. If it fails, replace the shutter. Plan ahead. Updating the firmware can be hazardous to your D500 too (read Dpreview article on firmware 1,20). I just updated mine to 1.20. No problem. Hopefully all works as stated.

Andrew in Norway
Andrew in Norway Regular Member • Posts: 217

Do you have another Nikon DSLR? if so shoot away until the shutter fails - then replace the shutter.

A survey I saw of various Canon DSLR's with a guaranteed shutter life of 100 000 to 150 000 exposures showed half of them reaching 400 000 and one third reaching 700 000.

I know your D500 is not a Canon, but I think you can see the point I'm making.

-- hide signature --

- Andrew from Norway

Andrew in Norway's gear list:Andrew in Norway's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
cbsphoto123 Forum Member • Posts: 61

My bird photography teacher told me his D300 shutter count reach 700,000.

yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 1,918

MK wrote:

You can send it in to Nikon as the shutter mechanism is replaceable. Nikon tends to be conservation in this rating so you'll probably get a bit more than 200k actuations. Some people have reported over 200k on their D300 which is rated at 150k.

Indeed, I once bought a "like new" D300 from KEH which had IIRC about 300K on the shutter. It did look like new. Maybe it was used by someone to test the shutter Anyway, I had sent it back.

djrobic New Member • Posts: 3

D500s just went on sale (price recently dropped by $400 Cdn) so I picked up a new one today.  Nice to have an exact match as a spare in my camera bag.  I was carrying my D750 as my spare but it lacks flicker reduction and I do 99% of my shoots on indoor pool decks.  Was just about to check the firmware revisions when I saw your post.  Thanks for the heads up!

Patrochilles New Member • Posts: 1

I made an account just to reply to this saying that this is probably the nicest response I've ever seen in a photography conversation. You're awesome. 

LensOnSport Forum Member • Posts: 77

Patrochilles wrote:

I made an account just to reply to this saying that this is probably the nicest response I've ever seen in a photography conversation. You're awesome.

Mr Kramer's post was a breath of fresh air. (Photo forums are nasty places generally. This very much includes DPreview. )

LensOnSport's gear list:LensOnSport's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads