D500 Shutter Life

Started Apr 12, 2017 | Discussions
ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 817
D500 Shutter Life

The D500 shutter life is rated at 200,000 - what happens after that?  Can it be replaced?

With the 10fps and the huge buffer, my finger seems to be glued to the shutter button especially in CH mode.  Now, I"m thinking maybe I should ease up on it for the fear of prematurely wearing down the shutter.  But that's probably silly, as 200,000 is a lot of images...however, with the 10fps, it just seems like reaching that number is sooner than later.

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MK Senior Member • Posts: 2,478
Re: D500 Shutter Life

You can send it in to Nikon as the shutter mechanism is replaceable.  Nikon tends to be conservation in this rating so you'll probably get a bit more than 200k actuations.  Some people have reported over 200k on their D300 which is rated at 150k.

MK's gear list:MK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
OP ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 817

Sounds like it might be expensive......wonder how old of a Nikon model they can service before deeming that no part available for that model - if that's even a possibility.

MK wrote:

You can send it in to Nikon as the shutter mechanism is replaceable. Nikon tends to be conservation in this rating so you'll probably get a bit more than 200k actuations. Some people have reported over 200k on their D300 which is rated at 150k.

MK Senior Member • Posts: 2,478

Don't quote me as my memory is not as good as it was back then.    I think I read somewhere where someone did it and it was under $300.  As for parts availability, I have no idea.  I would imagine even today they can replace a shutter on a D300 and how old is that model? 

MK's gear list:MK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
OP ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 817

If it's under $300, it's okay I guess...but by the time it's time to have it done, there will  probably be another Nikon body worth getting and not worth the repair

MK wrote:

Don't quote me as my memory is not as good as it was back then. I think I read somewhere where someone did it and it was under $300. As for parts availability, I have no idea. I would imagine even today they can replace a shutter on a D300 and how old is that model?

RoyC01
RoyC01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

Actually, it is ..."Designed for maximum durability, the D500’s shutter has been tested for 200,000 cycles with the shutter unit and driving mechanism actually loaded in the camera. " Which is to say it is not warranted for any number of cycles. However, since on older bodies many last 500,000 cycles or more, I would not worry about replacing the shutter any time soon.

RoyC01's gear list:RoyC01's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
DualSystemGuy Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Nothing happens

ShutterDude wrote:

The D500 shutter life is rated at 200,000 - what happens after that? Can it be replaced?

With the 10fps and the huge buffer, my finger seems to be glued to the shutter button especially in CH mode. Now, I"m thinking maybe I should ease up on it for the fear of prematurely wearing down the shutter. But that's probably silly, as 200,000 is a lot of images...however, with the 10fps, it just seems like reaching that number is sooner than later.

Nothing happens at 200K.  The shutter is simply tested to a minimum 200K.  Plenty of people will go double that or far more before failure.  Shutter replacement cost usually isn't too bad, probably in the $300 range based on other cameras.

DualSystemGuy's gear list:DualSystemGuy's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D810 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D850
FarHagh Contributing Member • Posts: 792

What happens if your car engine goes away after 300000 miles? You either pay for a new engine and install it, or it might be more cost effective to buy a low milage car whose engine has lots of life remained

-- hide signature --

Farhad

FrankB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 682

Do you really need 10fps all the time?  If so, then just think of a possible shutter replacement in the future as a cost of doing business, and adjust your prices accordingly.  If it's not really a business (in other words, if someone is not paying you for the images) then the question becomes . . . do you really need 10fps all the time?

-- hide signature --

My photo blog: www.frankbaiamonte.com

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,059

ShutterDude wrote:

The D500 shutter life is rated at 200,000 - what happens after that? Can it be replaced?

With the 10fps and the huge buffer, my finger seems to be glued to the shutter button especially in CH mode. Now, I"m thinking maybe I should ease up on it for the fear of prematurely wearing down the shutter. But that's probably silly, as 200,000 is a lot of images...however, with the 10fps, it just seems like reaching that number is sooner than later.

That number means it has been tested up to 200,000 actuations. It does not say that it failed when the number is reached. It is like human life expectancy, it does not mean you die at that age.

The good news is that the shutter can be replaced when it fails

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Jimusny
Jimusny Senior Member • Posts: 2,029

I have had my D500 since Nov, I just went over 30K. and I take photos almost every day so at my rate 60K a year, I figure I am good for near 4 years, and I have never gone that long ever  without upgrading, but who is to say one wont fail at 10K 100K, or right after it went off warranty.. I only had one shutter failure ever, and that was on a  new body after only about a week and was covered by warranty

Jimusny's gear list:Jimusny's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +7 more
CubeAce Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

What it probably means is if the shutter stops working under the quoted figure with the Nikon warranty period, they would replace it. I seem to remember another forum (not dpr) where someone claimed to have done this after using his camera to make time lapse videos. Personally though I'd rather not have to find out.

CubeAce's gear list:CubeAce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more
ata3001
ata3001 Contributing Member • Posts: 752

Why would you be always shooting at 10 fps? Is your style of shooting "spray & pray" for a good shot?

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN-F +28 more
Chris911 Regular Member • Posts: 200

My D500, bought new at the end of May 2016, is currently sat on 286647 frames as of today.

Grove39
Grove39 Forum Member • Posts: 96

ata3001 wrote:

Why would you be always shooting at 10 fps? Is your style of shooting "spray & pray" for a good shot?

I was a bit like that when i got mine a few months ago and then realised i had over 5000 presses on the big old silver button and nothing to show for it so i slowed down. It now sits on CL 99% of the time unless i really need 10 FPS.

Most of what ti take photos of doesn't tend to move much so 10 FPS isnt usually needed.

Jim Melito New Member • Posts: 1
  1. Well, I have 600k on my D200 and it's still working. I believe if you use the MD a lot it will get less of a shutter life.
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,459

Most people get more than 200K yet I was shooting with a friend when his shutter went at 75K.  $275 fixed it

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +12 more
Eliot Kramer Contributing Member • Posts: 998

1. Take a deep breath because you are safe.

2. Nikon is extremely well regarded as far as their shutter mechanism. Many/most Nikon cameras go WAY past the rated 200k mark, tons and tons of users report their shutter counts to be well over 500K and some have over a million and the camera is still working fine.

3. I do not know the exact price, but from prior similar posters and replies it seems disproportionately high, most people by that time will decide to simply update the camera. Given how reliable the shutter is once you hit such high numbers the camera might be 5 generations "behind" and you will be very interested to upgrade.

4. Go to the website for shutter count and find out exactly what your count is. Then calculate how many images you take per year. You might end up being surprised that you have a large number of years ahead of you given your current "heavy finger" approach even if you use a conservative method of estimating how many images you have left until 200K/300K/500K.

5. In general shutter failure is very uncommon and hardly ever talked about on these forums, people are always enquiring about it for fear it would happen but nobody is posting that it actually happened. So many other issues are currently discussed, none are shutter related.

I hope that helps, even though the information is general and generic I think it is reasonably accurate. Shoot away.

Eliot Kramer's gear list:Eliot Kramer's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Eliot Kramer Contributing Member • Posts: 998

Oh, totally forgot.

Don't listen to anyone telling you how to enjoy photography and how to shoot and "why you shooting at 10fps" nonsense.

You shoot how you want to get the maximum pleasure out of this hobby/occupation. Nobody knows how and what you shoot, how good or bad it is, etc etc. None of this matters.

If you are trying different things, soliciting feedback, trying various approaches, talking to experienced people that are mentoring you then it is different. But these totally random comments of people implying that "one doesn't need 10fps", "you shouldn't need to", "spray and pray" etc are so unsupportive and unhelpful in my opinion.

You go and shoot how you want and wear out that shutter at a million clicks and be happy.

On these forums half  the responses take an implicit dig at the original poster and have thinly veiled criticism and hostility and don't address the actual question being asked. I've had my fair share of those and felt that it might be helpful for you in case you too felt a bit insulted by some of the responses to your original post. ( I know I would be as I read through and thought to myself, 'who are you telling me how to gun my camera and not liking my approach?) Hopefully nobody takes this personally.

As an aside, there are plenty of extremely high production value studios that take full videos of the "photoshoot" at 24 frames per second. Then they just take frame grabs that they like. No "photos" are actually taken. It is all video. Which in reality is nothing more than 24 photos per second. (Or whatever frame rate they have, I forgot what exact equipment they used). So if they do it this way and generate thousands upon thousands of images only to choose one or two key ones, who is to say you can't shoot all your sessions at 10fps and then get the images you like.

Why photography and snobbery go together is beyond me. But I met more snobs in photography than pretty much any other field.

Oh, and when you do wear out that shutter and upgrade I can guarantee you that the next camera you get will be so much better than the current one you are using and will shoot at a higher frame per second than your current one. So all the more reason to hit away at that shutter. You gonna have even more fun with the next one you get. Guaranteed.

Eliot Kramer's gear list:Eliot Kramer's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +3 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084

ShutterDude wrote:

Sounds like it might be expensive......wonder how old of a Nikon model they can service before deeming that no part available for that model - if that's even a possibility.

Something like 7 years after model discontinuation.

-- hide signature --

G.A.S.+ "Monkey Mind" are one in your mind, gear grasshopper

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads