New color profiles for Lumix DMC-G8 (G85/G80/G81)

Started Apr 12, 2017 | Discussions
bsas
bsas Contributing Member • Posts: 620
New color profiles for Lumix DMC-G8 (G85/G80/G81)

Based on the idea originally expressed on this post:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58075625

And based on the fact that Adobe now officially provides the color profiles for the new GH5, I used the dcpTool to decompiled the GH5 profiles and recompiled them just changing the model string to "Panasonic GMC-G8". So, now, we can see the profiles in Lightroom:

Camera profiles for my G85 RAW file.

Here is the download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73hy8aqpdrewonc/Panasonic%20DMC-G8.zip?dl=0

You just need to copy all DCP files to the folder:

C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

Please let me know if it works for you

I am not sure if it is 100% accurate with the camera original profiles since the sensor in the GH5 is different then the one in the G85, but, at least those are the latest "official Adobe" color profiles for Panasonic, so, maybe that counts for something...

bsas's gear list:bsas's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Colin C Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: New color profiles for Lumix DMC-G8 (G85/G80/G81)

Works for me in Lightroom on my Intel Mac.

The colours seem a bit over cooked, Reds mainly, so could be sensor difference as you say.  I find the Cine D profile most useful.

Nice work, thank you. (Panasonic dmc-G80)

-- hide signature --

Still learning to "see" the world!

bsas
OP bsas Contributing Member • Posts: 620

Colin C wrote:

Cool! Let me know if, besides "working" (aka, showing up on LR), if the colors look accurate for you

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more

Think I was editing the text when you replied :))

Well compared to the camera jpegs the colours from the profiles look rather over done, especially the Reds, interesting slight changes in hue too, not very much though.

I find that for me, the Cinelike D profile is very useful.

-- hide signature --

bsas wrote:

Colin C wrote:

Cool! Let me know if, besides "working" (aka, showing up on LR), if the colors look accurate for you

Was thinking the colours shouldn't be that far off, so went back and checked my LR settings... in my haste I forgot that I had set up a preset to be applied during raw import, re-set that and checked again..  glad to say colours are now very very close to out of camera jpegs when using the standard camera profile, have not had time to check the others but would think they are fine too.

Again, very well done and thank's for making these available.

Cheers, Colin.

-- hide signature --

bsas

Awesome! Good to know.

I still didn't have time to test myself. I will post some boring CC passport shots later for comparison

bsas

Here are some boring sample pictures. I have all them processed in camera from the same RAW file, and then on Lightroom. The only thing I did in LR was to change the color profile.

STD:

STD - G85

STD - LR

VIVID:

VIVID - G85

VIVID - LR

MONO:

MONO - G85

MONO - LR

L.MONO:

L.MONO - G85

L.MONO - LR

SCNY:

SCNY - G85

SCNY - LR

PORT:

PORT - G85

PORT - LR

If you want to play around, here it is a ZIP files with all JPEGs and the RAW file:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kPVNGcVoZNEvsvkDjnN3W2chpJOllW5w80Oi7oqmQMu?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

bsas wrote:

Here are some boring sample pictures. I have all them processed in camera from the same RAW file, and then on Lightroom. The only thing I did in LR was to change the color profile.

STD:

STD - G85

STD - LR

VIVID:

VIVID - G85

VIVID - LR

MONO:

MONO - G85

MONO - LR

L.MONO:

L.MONO - G85

L.MONO - LR

SCNY:

SCNY - G85

SCNY - LR

PORT:

PORT - G85

PORT - LR

If you want to play around, here it is a ZIP files with all JPEGs and the RAW file:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kPVNGcVoZNEvsvkDjnN3W2chpJOllW5w80Oi7oqmQMu?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

They look pretty near "spot-on" to me, well done, and thank's for the link.

Cheers,  Colin.

-- hide signature --

Spacedebree
Spacedebree Regular Member • Posts: 148

Hi!

I installed this profiles (LR 6 standalone, Mac OS), but now i suddenly have double (!) of all the profiles. They are listed two times in lightroom. Not sure what has gone wrong. I also can't remember where I put these profiles? Hm... pls help.

Regards,

Fredrik

Spacedebree's gear list:Spacedebree's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
valsan Contributing Member • Posts: 685

Spacedebree wrote:

Hi!

I installed this profiles (LR 6 standalone, Mac OS), but now i suddenly have double (!) of all the profiles. They are listed two times in lightroom. Not sure what has gone wrong. I also can't remember where I put these profiles? Hm... pls help.

Regards,

Fredrik

Panasonic/Lightroom released profiles for your camera. Thats why you have two now.

bsas

Lightroom just released official profiles, so, that is why you see doubles. Just delete those old ones and use just the Adobe official ones.

If you read my OP, I pointed out where to put the files (so, you should just remove them there). In Windows they are at:

Spacedebree
Spacedebree Regular Member • Posts: 148

bsas wrote:

Lightroom just released official profiles, so, that is why you see doubles. Just delete those old ones and use just the Adobe official ones.

If you read my OP, I pointed out where to put the files (so, you should just remove them there). In Windows they are at:

Ok. I got a bit confused cause they were named the same.

I guess the built in profiles is not stored in this folder, but nowadays are built in LR?

All best!

/Fredrik

Spacedebree's gear list:Spacedebree's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
bsas

Spacedebree wrote:

bsas wrote:

Ok. I got a bit confused cause they were named the same.

I guess the built in profiles is not stored in this folder, but nowadays are built in LR?

Exactly. That folder is just for custom profiles. Offical LR profiles are in another directory.

All best!

/Fredrik

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads